Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Randalor posted:

Isn't there some evidence that Judaism (and by extension, Christianity and Islam) may have originated as a polytheistic religion that over time became monotheistic? I know verses like Exodus 20:2 (Thou shalt have no other gods before Me) may have originated from the polytheistic basis.

Basically, what I'm saying is YHWH would basically do what Kratos is currently doing if given the chance, and depending on how you interpret the bible, may have actually murdered the rest of his pantheon so YHWH could be the only one.

There's also the possibility that it was just "our god can beat up all the other gods so don't bother worshiping anything else, ever."

I think at the time there was a general attitude that other religions' gods were real but were weak, lovely gods that sucked so don't bother. Our gods are where it's at!

Certain sects of Christianity went down the path of "all other gods are false gods that are really just the devil." I forget where that idea originally came from but it's heavy in hardcore evangelical or fundamentalist Christianity. The idea there is that there is only one god there and only ever has been one god. All other gods are false gods. They're not gods at all; they're the devil speaking through one of his many disguises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

By the end of the GoW franchise it'll just be Kratos ruling over everything as God.

Edit: and the lack of response from God on every day affairs will be because he doesn't give a gently caress.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wildlands is fun and good also man I wish God of War 2 had been that actually awesome sounding concept instead.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Randalor posted:

Isn't there some evidence that Judaism (and by extension, Christianity and Islam) may have originated as a polytheistic religion that over time became monotheistic? I know verses like Exodus 20:2 (Thou shalt have no other gods before Me) may have originated from the polytheistic basis.

Basically, what I'm saying is YHWH would basically do what Kratos is currently doing if given the chance, and depending on how you interpret the bible, may have actually murdered the rest of his pantheon so YHWH could be the only one.

I believe there is some evidence to suggest that Yahweh was at one point El ("Most High") of the ancient Canaanite pantheon, yes, and there are also claims that Hebrews were originally Canaanites that adopted a new religion and identity, leading to a centuries long blood feud with the Canaanites that led to their biblical extermination (though there is apparently genealogical evidence they survived in Lebanon?)

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

I wonder how you make that all work together, though. is the Christian God, a God that is above all others? Did he create the greek and norse jerkoffs just to mess with people? Do they try to make sense of it, or just have it exist in-game for no real reason

Kratos saved him for last. Makes perfect sense, hes just Schwarzenegger from Commando.

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:50 on May 7, 2018

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I would 100% play a god of war game where kratos murders the Christian god, Jesus, Adam, Samson, etc

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Well great, apparently I'm the only one this irritates. Bleh.

"Everything is dying because of you! The sun is gone, the seas swallow the land, disease infects what remains! Oh sure, if you sail fifty miles that way everything suddenly becomes peachy keen again, but you've really hosed up this peninsula, buddy!"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Byzantine posted:

"Everything is dying because of you! The sun is gone, the seas swallow the land, disease infects what remains! Oh sure, if you sail fifty miles that way everything suddenly becomes peachy keen again, but you've really hosed up this peninsula, buddy!"

I haven't played it but how much time passes between games? Maybe there's just a new Pantheon rose to take over

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Byzantine posted:

i don't think you're gonna find a lot of people invested in the story of any god of war (except the new one, obviously)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Thinking about it, I guess I've always had this weird idea that the Greek gods were so powerful simply because people there believed in them. It's an old cliche, sure, but it works well enough for God of War. I have no trouble believing the Norse pantheon is supreme in the frigid north, while Native American gods would be supreme on their continent, and so on.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The way I see it, the world of God of War isn't our world. Not even remotely. The gods rule where their influence is felt, and what lies outside their purview either doesn't exist or exists because there are other gods and creation myths that make it so. Essentially, all creations myths are true, but only for the geographic location where those creation myths are centered. Greece was created by Cronos and Rhea, but Midgard and its neighboring realms exist separately (and presumably there's an Irish pantheon and a Hindu and several others that make worlds that are essentially self contained.)

Basically, the Ancient Greek "world" of the original God of War games was one plane of existence, and Kratos's actions have hosed that right up, so he's jumped ship to another one and the inevitable up-loving of that doth commence.

Do the games actually support this idea? gently caress if I know, but that's how it seems to me.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 01:53 on May 7, 2018

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Ya gotta also imagine to the ancient world Greece was quite large, especially at the apex of its power. It wasn't "just" a peninsula.

In god of war's world Greece also might have been bigger. Its pretty clear the world is merely inspired by real life pantheons and places, rather than actually being them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
GoW establishes that there’s several different realms or dimensions or whatever, explicitly mentioning that Japan, Greece, Mesoamerica, the Nordic countries and several others are places that exist and are places you can travel to if you have magic diamond eyes
One guy even says that Kratos got so loving lost going north he ended washing up in Midgard

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

The way I see it, the world of God of War isn't our world. Not even remotely. The gods rule where their influence is felt, and what lies outside their purview either doesn't exist or exists because there are other gods and creation myths that make it so. Essentially, all creations myths are true, but only for the geographic location where those creation myths are centered. Greece was created by Cronos and Rhea, but Midgard and its neighboring realms exist separately (and presumably there's an Irish pantheon and a Hindu and several others that make worlds that are essentially self contained.)

Basically, the Ancient Greek "world" of the original God of War games was one plane of existence, and Kratos's actions have hosed that right up, so he's jumped ship to another one and the inevitable up-loving of that doth commence.

Do the games actually support this idea? gently caress if I know, but that's how it seems to me.

iirc one of the endings for GoW1 had a jump to the future where the military and helicopters and poo poo came across the corpse of a titan (I forget which one) so its best to probably not think too much about it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bushmaori posted:

iirc one of the endings for GoW1 had a jump to the future where the military and helicopters and poo poo came across the corpse of a titan (I forget which one) so its best to probably not think too much about it

Whichever one had the temple on his back. They stumbled on Pandora's temple during Desert Storm

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It was Cronos, jfc

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Randalor posted:

Only if you’re extremely generous with the word “evidence.” Like it’s not quite Zeitgeist: the Movie-level “Jesus and Ra are the same because Ra is associated with the sun and Jesus is known as the son of God! (Please ignore that the words for sun and son are not homophones in any of the relevant languages)” but it’s not much higher from what I’ve seen.

For content, I wish Kingdom Come: Deliverance would make it much clearer when enemies are trying to surrender. My statistics page says that I’ve killed like 30 civilians purely because that’s how it counts killing enemies that are surrendering. There’s not really a morality system aside from the soothsayer yelling at me that I’m going to Hell if I don’t repent so there aren’t many consequences but it still makes me feel bad sometimes.

Also once I stopped in the woods to help some guards fighting a gang of bandits, and the last bandit surrendered as my sword was arcing towards his face, and all the guards immediately turned on me and started whooping my rear end for assaulting that poor defenseless bandit.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Also once I stopped in the woods to help some guards fighting a gang of bandits, and the last bandit surrendered as my sword was arcing towards his face, and all the guards immediately turned on me and started whooping my rear end for assaulting that poor defenseless bandit.
Those who defend evil are evil themselves. Show them no mercy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's also the possibility that it was just "our god can beat up all the other gods so don't bother worshiping anything else, ever."

I think at the time there was a general attitude that other religions' gods were real but were weak, lovely gods that sucked so don't bother. Our gods are where it's at!

It's called henotheism: there are many gods, but only one God.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Byzantine posted:

that's fine. taste is subjective.

i do consider it to be a PYF little things in games, personally.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

Warframe reeks of "game that really should not be free to play, but rather cost like $30 or $40 instead", because the whole platinum thing is really dumb. Platinum is just the usual cash shop money that you use to buy weapons and warframes instead of acquiring the blueprints for them the usual way (using the regular cash or grinding the blueprints out in certain missions), but the whole game seems to be centered around grinding for the things you want so you can test them out as you grind for the next thing to use, so paying for the items with real dosh defeats the purpose of the game. With blueprints, you gather a bunch of materials and craft the item, be it a weapon or a part of a warframe. BUUUUT the game decides that you should have to wait 2 hours for weapons to finish crafting, which isn't too bad, or in the case of individual warframe pieces, twelve hours. Granted, you can craft multiple things at a time, but then consider that you need the blueprint to assemble the warframe pieces together, which takes a whole 72 hours to complete. here comes the cash shop money to the rescue, to speed up those wait times for you, yeeee haw. some might argue that waiting for the warframe to be assembled is a "part of the fun", anticipating how great it'll be to use, but since grinding already fills that role, the waiting is completely redundant, and I don't see why anyone would make that argument.

The game is real solid, other than the F2P cliches you see in it.

Yeah, waiting for your shiny new stuff to be done loving suuuucks as a new player. Eventually you have like 20 things building at once and it's not a big deal to wait for the next thing because you're not done with your new stuff yet, but until then it's rear end.

Mostly plat's for buying slots for weapons/frames, orokin reactors/catalysts and cosmetics though. At least it's easy to get for free if you don't mind grinding out some relics.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always thought a cool idea for a game based on the extermination of a pantheon would be from the point of view of the Gods that were exterminated - like a game set in the Aztec kingdom playing as one of the Aztec gods. Theoretically, the idea would be that as long as belief survived the God would be able to possess a statue of himself, animate it and work through it. There would be enough statues, although not a numbered amount, just "A Bunch" that that would be the life system. You die, respawn in the next statue and then leave using some kind of warp point/fast travel to get back to where you were.

The statues themselves would be infinite - then at the end of the game, Hernan Cortes arrives with his army. Suddenly he launches a massive attack that destroys the room where most of the statues were kept, and is about to wipe out your people - you know you cannot physically save them, but you fight alongside them with the few remaining statues, show them that their gods have not abandoned them so they keep their faith alive and get to go to Tlalocan or the Paradise in the East (2 different possible places depended on the violence of their death/whether they died like a warrior, but both nice places) on their demise.

The point being you will eventually run out of chances, so save as many people as you can because if they feel you are abandoning them they will start to lose faith as everyone around them is slaughtered, so it's important to be seen doing special moves and big impressive attacks, so that they died with no doubt in their hearts that their pantheon had their backs to the end. Kind of the direct inverse of God of War.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

marshmallow creep posted:

I believe there is some evidence to suggest that Yahweh was at one point El ("Most High") of the ancient Canaanite pantheon, yes, and there are also claims that Hebrews were originally Canaanites that adopted a new religion and identity, leading to a centuries long blood feud with the Canaanites that led to their biblical extermination (though there is apparently genealogical evidence they survived in Lebanon?)

This is pretty accurate. There's also some indication that at least in some places people believed that El had a son named Yw but it seems like overall El and/or Yw became the modern day YHWH. Even in the bible there are passages where God talks as if he's part of a pantheon. Biblical Hebrew often uses the term "Elohim" to refer to God but it literally translates to "gods" plural.

BioEnchanted posted:

I always thought a cool idea for a game based on the extermination of a pantheon would be from the point of view of the Gods that were exterminated - like a game set in the Aztec kingdom playing as one of the Aztec gods. Theoretically, the idea would be that as long as belief survived the God would be able to possess a statue of himself, animate it and work through it. There would be enough statues, although not a numbered amount, just "A Bunch" that that would be the life system. You die, respawn in the next statue and then leave using some kind of warp point/fast travel to get back to where you were.

The statues themselves would be infinite - then at the end of the game, Hernan Cortes arrives with his army. Suddenly he launches a massive attack that destroys the room where most of the statues were kept, and is about to wipe out your people - you know you cannot physically save them, but you fight alongside them with the few remaining statues, show them that their gods have not abandoned them so they keep their faith alive and get to go to Tlalocan or the Paradise in the East (2 different possible places depended on the violence of their death/whether they died like a warrior, but both nice places) on their demise.

The point being you will eventually run out of chances, so save as many people as you can because if they feel you are abandoning them they will start to lose faith as everyone around them is slaughtered, so it's important to be seen doing special moves and big impressive attacks, so that they died with no doubt in their hearts that their pantheon had their backs to the end. Kind of the direct inverse of God of War.

Well, there's always Okami which kind of plays that backwards. You're a god recently manifested on the physical plane to stop an encroaching evil and have to get people to start believing in you again so you can get your powers back and destroy the darkness

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 10:22 on May 7, 2018

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

e: double post

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I say give us a God of War game where Kratos gouges out Jesus' eyeballs. Nobody ever gives Judeo-Christian mythology enough poo poo.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I look forward to the eventual God of War x Megaten crossover. Killing every single pantheon, one god at a time.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I say give us a God of War game where Kratos gouges out Jesus' eyeballs. Nobody ever gives Judeo-Christian mythology enough poo poo.

Wasn't that Dante's Inferno game along those sort of lines?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Please do not bring Satan's giant flaccid cock into this thread.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

poptart_fairy posted:

Please do not bring Satan's giant flaccid cock into this thread.

There should have been a qte where you circumcised it.

I didn't find the dick as hard to look at as Cleopatra spewing Babies from her boobs.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

Just wanted to say I agree, a new (de-Christianized) take on Actraiser could be rad.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I freaking loved Actraiser.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

It was Cronos, jfc
Heh heh, this guy's Kronos Triggered.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What game has the worst "Go-through-the-rings" challenge that isn't Superman 64?

The beaver-race in Majora 3D is an absolute pain because you have to win it four times in the one cycle, and the rings themselves are solid lifebuoys so if you bump into the edge of one you lose momentum and start swimming in the opposite direction. The only saving grace is if you fail enough times you're put on an easier course.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

You have to kill Jesus like 3 times because that bastard just keeps coming back to life.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Holy Ghost is the harassing rival character who you fight throughout the game but isn't a boss fight until very late. Jesus is the recurring boss who you keeps coming back but isn't harassing you like the Holy Ghost. When you beat them both, you unlock the Father.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jesus is the recurring butt of sight gags.
Kratos kicks down the doors to a temple? Jesus was on the other side and is crushed by the falling doors. Kratos knocks down a boulder blocking a mountain path? Boulder rolls over Jesus who's preaching at the bottom of the mountain. Kratos causes an explosion in an armory? Jesus on the cross is impaled by a flying spear.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You guys are seriously underestimating Jesus

quote:

So spake the Son, and into terrour chang'd
His count'nance too severe to be beheld [ 825 ]
And full of wrauth bent on his Enemies.
At once the Four spred out thir Starrie wings
With dreadful shade contiguous, and the Orbes
Of his fierce Chariot rowld, as with the sound
Of torrent Floods, or of a numerous Host. [ 830 ]
Hee on his impious Foes right onward drove,
Gloomie as Night; under his burning Wheeles
The stedfast Empyrean shook throughout,
All but the Throne it self of God. Full soon
Among them he arriv'd; in his right hand [ 835 ]
Grasping ten thousand Thunders, which he sent
Before him, such as in thir Soules infix'd
Plagues; they astonisht all resistance lost,
All courage; down thir idle weapons drop'd;
O're Shields and Helmes, and helmed heads he rode [ 840 ]
Of Thrones and mighty Seraphim prostrate,
That wisht the Mountains now might be again
Thrown on them as a shelter from his ire.
Nor less on either side tempestuous fell
His arrows, from the fourfold-visag'd Foure, [ 845 ]
Distinct with eyes, and from the living Wheels,
Distinct alike with multitude of eyes,
One Spirit in them rul'd, and every eye
Glar'd lightning, and shot forth pernicious fire
Among th' accurst, that witherd all thir strength, [ 850 ]
And of thir wonted vigour left them draind,
Exhausted, spiritless, afflicted, fall'n.
Yet half his strength he put not forth, but check'd
His Thunder in mid Volie, for he meant
Not to destroy, but root them out of Heav'n: [ 855 ]
The overthrown he rais'd, and as a Heard
Of Goats or timerous flock together throngd
Drove them before him Thunder-struck, pursu'd
With terrors and with furies to the bounds
And Chrystal wall of Heav'n, which op'ning wide, [ 860 ]
Rowld inward, and a spacious Gap disclos'd
Into the wastful Deep; the monstrous sight
Strook them with horror backward, but far worse
Urg'd them behind; headlong themselves they threw
Down from the verge of Heav'n, Eternal wrauth [ 865 ]
Burnt after them to the bottomless pit.

The Son does not play around

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jesus definitely has endboss potential if not Yahweh himself.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Samuringa posted:

You guys are seriously underestimating Jesus

The Son does not play around

Also that time he chased a load of bankers with a whip.

He also cursed the poo poo out of a fig tree, but that's maybe not as badass as the other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why the hell was I not taught this in Sunday school. Hearing Jesus put down an angelic insurrection would have made me pious as all gently caress, not that lame rear end bread and fish poo poo.