Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

this insane senate candidate in california is a gold mine:

:allears:

Weev is disavowing:

considering the number of votes weev's posts actually get, i have the feeling more people read his dumb thoughts in this thread than on their own forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Lenin was right.

If the communists hadn't agreed to the new election De Gaulle was going to declare a state of emergency and crush the demonstrations with the military, and the demonstrators did not have the organization to resist such an intervention. Sometimes you have to accept that you're going to lose and take your chances on public support - and the voting public overwhelmingly supported De Gaulle.

If at any situation you find yourself saying 'Lenin was right' please stop and review your position :eng99:

The armed forces were thoroughly fraternizing with and supporting the strikers. Commanders at the time had no faith they would fire upon friends and family and therefore actively urged politicians to go with bribing the communists to co-opt the revolution.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Can I say Lenin was right about libs?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Tias posted:

If at any situation you find yourself saying 'Lenin was right' please stop and review your position :eng99:

The armed forces were thoroughly fraternizing with and supporting the strikers. Commanders at the time had no faith they would fire upon friends and family and therefore actively urged politicians to go with bribing the communists to co-opt the revolution.

Lenin was right.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Crowsbeak posted:

Can I say Lenin was right about libs?

You may :glomp:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

NikkolasKing posted:

My favorite name for the American Civil War is The War Between the States. I just don't think civil war properly captures how the North and South were essentially different worlds. Slavery may have been the main issue but there were massive differences in culture, religion and economy dating back to Colonial days. A war was inevitable.

The war was inevitable because of the mutually antagonistic interests of slavers and free labor. Differences in culture and religion were already non-issues because of semi-autonomy afforded to the states, and the disestablishmentarianism cemented in the constitution. Saying a war was inevitable because the North and South were just so different is moronic.

Tias posted:

The people's army also fraternized with the Tiennamen Square demonstrators and weren't willing to open fire on them. They got around the problem by bringing in ringers from the provinces who hated city folk and didn't have any issues following orders. All those guys fraternizing with the demonstrators would have been cycled out to bring in a bunch of the same people who ended up voting overwhelmingly for De Gaulle.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 09:20 on May 7, 2018

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Reclines Obesily posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ouOFgPY

photos from the day of freedom, via the Destiny subreddit

bit smaller than what i said earlier and fascists claims it was, few hundred not 80,000

kek flag spotted

What's this hand gesture with the index finger up and thumb out?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the onion wizard posted:

That's the L sign for Loser.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the onion wizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSPaXgAdzE

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The war was inevitable because of the mutually antagonistic interests of slavers and free labor. Differences in culture and religion were already non-issues because of semi-autonomy afforded to the states, and the disestablishmentarianism cemented in the constitution. Saying a war was inevitable because the North and South were just so different is moronic.

I did say economics in my list, although the truth is that that culture, religion and economics were all tied together here. Southerners thought i was their God-given right to own slaves and were happy to infringe on states' rights for this end. Perhaps I exaggerated to say differing cultures would lead to war but these differences and perception of differences exacerbated the slavery issue. Sorry, I think that is a fair way to characterize things.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the cultural + religious apologism for slavery was informed and produced by the economic/class relations, not the other way around (and arguable still are).

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah, if you take slavery out of the equation then there is no antagonism between the North and South that would lead to war.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

SunAndSpring posted:

I gotta say, you know all those lovely alt-right/anti-SJW webcomics like redpanels and stone-toss? If you peel away the edge they're all the loving same. It's like those Boomer political cartoonists who made all the dumb poo poo about tide pods on the same exact day with the same exact formula. It's so bizarre that these guys wander around going "White people are the only people who are creative" when these loving dudes can't make anything that wasn't getting churned out since loving Gamergate.

red panels and stone toss are likely made by the same person

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
When you're so desperate to look cool you decide to throw out basically all of actual history:

https://twitter.com/shaun_jen/status/993356335793221633

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

After learning about The Troubles I just assume that anything with a mildly unpleasant name is some sort of massive insurgency.

The Queen's english has a lot of understatement and dry sarcasm built in to it, probably a legacy of the class system, that is generally lost on Americans. I've heard that it's a cultural gap that has to be addressed in joint military operations because American officers may parse a phrase like "a bit of trouble" or "if you think that's wise" as offhand commentary instead of as a serious warning or stinging rebuke.

Kit Walker posted:

Well there is the concept of relationship anarchy, which evaluates each relationship individually rather than as a hierarchy. Like the standard view on relationships is something like “monogamous romantic partner” > “family” > “friend” > “acquaintance,” etc with some muddled positions that fall somewhere in between (like work-friend). Relationship anarchy is more like looking at each individual person and being like “that’s someone I just sleep with but don’t really share any intimacy with,” “that’s someone I’m both in a romantic and

what the gently caress is this and what will it look like when they're all in their 50s and 60s?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
nick fuentes is whining about not being hired by conservative think tanks because he has been deemed racist and a white nationalist

nothing to do with his weird soul math poo poo he made up to explain that actually he isn’t hispanic im sure

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

My favorite name for the American Civil War is The War Between the States. I just don't think civil war properly captures how the North and South were essentially different worlds. Slavery may have been the main issue but there were massive differences in culture, religion and economy dating back to Colonial days. A war was inevitable.

The war of northern aggression against the poor innocent southerns who were just minding their business

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

rudatron posted:

the cultural + religious apologism for slavery was informed and produced by the economic/class relations, not the other way around (and arguable still are).

The best one-line summary I've heard was "In elementary school you learn that the Civil War was about owning black people as slaves, in high school you learn that it was about states rights, in college you learn that it was about the states right to own black people as slaves."

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the best part about twitter is that some people say the quiet part loud:
https://twitter.com/Enoch_Powerrrr/status/993412253193039873

following that rabbit hole leads to some low-key alt-right twitter accounts. intertwined with various racist memes and such, content also had:
- an emphasis on nature shots + especially flowers
- another emphasis on rural/pastoral living
- surface level/pop history focused on folk minutiae and pictures of statues

but the thing is that the proportion of people actually living in rural areas has declined dramatically since the 50s -- something like 80% of the population lives in urban areas. additionally very little of the content was original (with the exception of the close-shot of flowers), most of it being stock photos or obviously set up shots. so i suspect most of this stuff is vicarious.

I have a strong suspicion that a lot of these guys are either current of former environmentalists

Syd Midnight posted:

what the gently caress is this and what will it look like when they're all in their 50s and 60s?
yeah i can't read 'relationship anarchy' as anything but a bunch of giant bullshit, made by people who thought they were being clever but not really thinking it through.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Syd Midnight posted:

The best one-line summary I've heard was "In elementary school you learn that the Civil War was about owning black people as slaves, in high school you learn that it was about states rights, in college you learn that it was about the states right to own black people as slaves."
there was a lot of contrariainism in the 90s i think about the civil war, where the 'woke' position (or the equivalent thereof) was to suggest that the situation was more complex than just slavery -- doing so was supposed to signal your literacy on teh subject. it was the point of a simpson gag involving apu, which was supposed to demonstrate that apu was over-qualified for citizenship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q--iGgtRn8

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Didn't this discussion happen like 3 days ago

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
YOU happened 3 days ago. take taht.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

tbh all you really gotta do is bring up the fact that the confederacy's plan after winning the civil war was to create a slave empire in latin america and the carribbean whenever someone starts yammering on about state's rights

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Crain posted:

When you're so desperate to look cool you decide to throw out basically all of actual history:

aren’t Vikings and crusaders known for pretty much just raping and pillaging?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DrManiac posted:

nah

the crusaders are best known for losing

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Agean90 posted:

nah

so are the spartans now that i think about it

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the flower symbology was interesting, because it by far made up most of the 'nature' content, more than I suspected. It may represent social darwinism, or play into the idea of a nation as spontaneously generating itself from the soil, or meant to be in direct contrast to and therefore a rejection of modernity. but i'm not sure which is dominant.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Business Gorillas posted:

so are the spartans now that i think about it

fun fact the spartans were only able to win wars when they had other people helping them out because every time they attacked a place that wasnt a poor rear end village they'd get wrecked by peasants with ranged weapons

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the spartans would have been best known for their massive slave economy that, even by the standards of the time, was absolutely brutal and extensive (and considering how gung-ho the ancient greeks were for slaves, that is especially incriminating). it's image as a militaristic state followed logically from the necessity of the ever-present threat of slave revolts - there was something like 7 helots per spartan, and spartans were banned from doing actual labor, being trained from birth to become soldiers (and periodically killed slaves).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

rudatron posted:

the spartans would have been best known for their massive slave economy that, even by the standards of the time, was absolutely brutal and extensive (and considering how gung-ho the ancient greeks were for slaves, that is especially incriminating). it's image as a militaristic state followed logically from the necessity of the ever-present threat of slave revolts - there was something like 7 helots per spartan, and spartans were banned from doing actual labor, being trained from birth to become soldiers (and periodically killed slaves).

Absolutely necessary to OOH RAH the weird Todd macfarlane Persian people into the Hellespont and save democracy in the west

OOH RAH

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

DrManiac posted:

Vikings is a little too simplistic since it depends on which brand of "Vikings" you're talking about. On just raw merit alone they're head and shoulders above the loving rear end garbage crusaders though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Agean90 posted:

nah

They won against the Christians in Constantinople.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
You know that guy who only ever talks about the time his high school football team went to state 40 years ago? That's a concise summary of Spartan history and society.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Romans conquered Sparta and turned it into Disneyland

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

MizPiz posted:

You know that guy who only ever talks about the time his high school football team went to state 40 years ago? That's a concise summary of Spartan history and society.

:thurman:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

rudatron posted:

there was something like 7 helots per spartan, and spartans were banned from doing actual labor

help me my city-state is dying

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Crain posted:

Ah yes, the south eastern Europeans, known for their pale white skin.

Also lol at Romans being in a lineage with crusaders? Romans weren't great to Christians. It was kind of a big deal. They killed Jesus.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Ah yes, the south eastern Europeans, known for their pale white skin.

Also lol at Romans being in a lineage with crusaders? Romans weren't great to Christians. It was kind of a big deal. They killed Jesus.

Actually you'll find it was the Jews that killed Jesus and furthermore you libtards :pseudo:

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
A Nazi is going on trial in Iowa today.

http://wqad.com/2018/05/02/trial-starts-may-7-for-davenport-man-arrested-for-carrying-gun-at-school-while-passing-racist-flyers/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
what's the over/under for acquittal/"lone wolf mental health patient"