Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

Its an awesome job with a great group of pilots that is tragically held back by an rear end in a top hat management group that insists on extending a bad contract for as long as they can milk it. If you like big airplanes, traveling the world, and prefer to work for long stretches of days and then have all your days off together, its for you. As for money, after your first year you'll make between $70k-90k as an FO depending on aircraft. Upgrade is around 2.5 years on the 767, and I think another year for the 747. As a 767 captain you'll make about $120k which is pathetic, but at least you'll get that sweet sweet heavy PIC time.

I don't think we'll have a new contract in the next two years. Feel free to ask me questions, I'm not afraid of talking openly here about the company. Even if they figure out who I am, they already have moles in our facebook group and if they hold grudges then I'm pretty sure I'm on their hit list already.

My long term career goals are a chill schedule and low/mid $100k, I don’t care who or what I’m flying. Anything beyond that salary wise is just a bonus to me. Shiny jets and/or getting to a legacy doesn’t matter to me. When you say big chunks on for big chunks off what does hat look like. 2 week on 1 week off that sort of thing?

My friend said you guys are home based and they positive space you to work, how accurate is that? That sounds entirely too simple and easy.

What’s your guy’s turnover like? I don’t want to dive in only to end up back at square one at a regional practically starting over because it didn’t work out. Turnover is a big indicator of QoL to me.

I’m sure I’ll think of more but this is all I’ve got off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

My long term career goals are a chill schedule and low/mid $100k, I don’t care who or what I’m flying. Anything beyond that salary wise is just a bonus to me. Shiny jets and/or getting to a legacy doesn’t matter to me.

None of those things matter to me either as far as ambitions, the only reason I care about acquiring heavy PIC time and maybe trying to move to a legacy is because I am sick of this contract negotiation and I am uncertain of the future. To be fair, I'm more paranoid than most due to all the poo poo I've been through in this career. The company's finances are very strong and if this Amazon stuff pans out and an intelligent generation of upper management takes over it may turn out to become a heavyweight in the industry right up there with UPS and FedEx.

As for money, I'm on the same boat as you. As long as I'm making in the mid 100k's for the rest of my career, I'm content (as long as I have good work rules and QOL). You should have no problem making over 100k a few years in, and with the new contract you may even break into the 200k's (if you happen to go full-on airline captain and get a third divorce with alimony it may matter). We'll see.

quote:

When you say big chunks on for big chunks off what does hat look like. 2 week on 1 week off that sort of thing?

On reserve you will usually owe the company 17 work days and will have 13 days off. Depending on what line you get, that may be 17 days on in a row with 13 days off in a row, or it may be split in parts. You'll have days off in the middle of your work pattern. Last month I sat in Cadiz, Spain for 3 days drinking wine and eating aged ham, then I went to Bahrain, then to Hahn, Germany for two days, rinse-repeat.
747 guys don't get as much downtime as we do, they work a lot and their layovers are shorter. And I'm sure when I upgrade to the left seat all those sweet international layovers are gonna be a distant memory, and life will consist of late night freight dog flying in the Midwest as a junior captain.

quote:

My friend said you guys are home based and they positive space you to work, how accurate is that? That sounds entirely too simple and easy.

Technically we are NOT homebased and its an important distinction to make - because of that you won't start getting paid until you get to your base, and although rare they can dock your paycheck for the imputed tax of the cost of your travel to and from base, as if it was income. So you WILL be a commuter and you may be flying to and from work on your days off, the difference between us and a commuting regional wretch is that the company will pay for your flights and hotels so you never have to stress about the worst part of being a commuter.

quote:

What’s your guy’s turnover like? I don’t want to dive in only to end up back at square one at a regional practically starting over because it didn’t work out. Turnover is a big indicator of QoL to me.

We have a lot of lifers and a lot of people who are joining young and intending to stay, but we do have a lot of turnover but its not because QoL is so terrible (if you are a good fit), but because the majors LOVE hiring us because they think that having a B767/747 PIC type rating magically makes you a better pilot than a regional guy. Lots of guys come here after trying the legacies for years and as soon as they get the type rating then suddenly Delta, UPS, and FedEx call them for interviews. Its like when you are single and haven't gotten laid in a while women don't even look at you, but the moment you start dating a cute girl they all start finding you attractive.

If you are worried about coming here and then realizing that you should have stayed at the regionals, no. Unless you were stupid enough to quit your regional shortly before a flow-through to a legacy or were super senior in one of the better regionals and living in base, coming here will always be an upgrade. I haven't worked with any former regional pilot who expressed regret for leaving the regionals to come here. We bitch CONSTANTLY about our job, but at the end of the day we look at our regional pilot brothers and sisters with pity, hope, and relief that we are not doing that job. The only way I can think of anyone going back to that is if their personal situation was such that this schedule will simply not work for them.

Animal fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 3, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Honestly all of that sounds pretty great and almost exactly what I’m looking for.

This may be a very real possibility, I’ll be at 2000tt around the end of the year. :thunk:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So I guess y'all have seen this already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF7FR7TjnME

(top left, flying right to left)

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I'd echo pretty much everything Animal said about Atlas. Its a great job for the right person and its a great feeling to have the company basically throw you the keys to a 747 or 767 and say "go nuts". I'd say about a third of my initial class are in 767 upgrade right now after 2.5 years and another third are waiting for 747 upgrade probably early next year. It's also a great stepping stone to all of the majors and brown and purple. Good luck!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

None of those things matter to me either as far as ambitions, the only reason I care about acquiring heavy PIC time and maybe trying to move to a legacy is because I am sick of this contract negotiation and I am uncertain of the future. To be fair, I'm more paranoid than most due to all the poo poo I've been through in this career. The company's finances are very strong and if this Amazon stuff pans out and an intelligent generation of upper management takes over it may turn out to become a heavyweight in the industry right up there with UPS and FedEx.

As for money, I'm on the same boat as you. As long as I'm making in the mid 100k's for the rest of my career, I'm content (as long as I have good work rules and QOL). You should have no problem making over 100k a few years in, and with the new contract you may even break into the 200k's (if you happen to go full-on airline captain and get a third divorce with alimony it may matter). We'll see.

On reserve you will usually owe the company 17 work days and will have 13 days off. Depending on what line you get, that may be 17 days on in a row with 13 days off in a row, or it may be split in parts. You'll have days off in the middle of your work pattern. Last month I sat in Cadiz, Spain for 3 days drinking wine and eating aged ham, then I went to Bahrain, then to Hahn, Germany for two days, rinse-repeat.
747 guys don't get as much downtime as we do, they work a lot and their layovers are shorter. And I'm sure when I upgrade to the left seat all those sweet international layovers are gonna be a distant memory, and life will consist of late night freight dog flying in the Midwest as a junior captain.

Technically we are NOT homebased and its an important distinction to make - because of that you won't start getting paid until you get to your base, and although rare they can dock your paycheck for the imputed tax of the cost of your travel to and from base, as if it was income. So you WILL be a commuter and you may be flying to and from work on your days off, the difference between us and a commuting regional wretch is that the company will pay for your flights and hotels so you never have to stress about the worst part of being a commuter.

We have a lot of lifers and a lot of people who are joining young and intending to stay, but we do have a lot of turnover but its not because QoL is so terrible (if you are a good fit), but because the majors LOVE hiring us because they think that having a B767/747 PIC type rating magically makes you a better pilot than a regional guy. Lots of guys come here after trying the legacies for years and as soon as they get the type rating then suddenly Delta, UPS, and FedEx call them for interviews. Its like when you are single and haven't gotten laid in a while women don't even look at you, but the moment you start dating a cute girl they all start finding you attractive.

If you are worried about coming here and then realizing that you should have stayed at the regionals, no. Unless you were stupid enough to quit your regional shortly before a flow-through to a legacy or were super senior in one of the better regionals and living in base, coming here will always be an upgrade. I haven't worked with any former regional pilot who expressed regret for leaving the regionals to come here. We bitch CONSTANTLY about our job, but at the end of the day we look at our regional pilot brothers and sisters with pity, hope, and relief that we are not doing that job. The only way I can think of anyone going back to that is if their personal situation was such that this schedule will simply not work for them.

What do they look for as far as experience/minimums for newbies that went corporate instead of regional?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sagebrush posted:

Word is they were backing the approach up with "a radio frequency" (I'm assuming an ILS) and forgot to actually plug the frequency in.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

CBJSprague24 posted:

Word is they were backing the approach up with "a radio frequency" (I'm assuming an ILS) and forgot to actually plug the frequency in.

They tuned the ILS for the second approach but not the first one- see Page 9 of whatever this NTSB-created wall of text is.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I lurk this thread because I like to imagine what it'd be like to be one of you airline pilot dudes, but find it pretty drat shocking that I make more money slamming my head against keyboard doing "software engineering" with virtually no qualifications. Doesn't seem fair, but then again you guys get to fly goddamn airplanes. Coolest thing I get to do is stand in massive datacenter and listen to the white noise.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

What do they look for as far as experience/minimums for newbies that went corporate instead of regional?

They hire a lot of corporate guys. I'm sure as long as you meet their posted minimums and have a pulse you are a good candidate.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

soy posted:

I lurk this thread because I like to imagine what it'd be like to be one of you airline pilot dudes, but find it pretty drat shocking that I make more money slamming my head against keyboard doing "software engineering" with virtually no qualifications. Doesn't seem fair, but then again you guys get to fly goddamn airplanes. Coolest thing I get to do is stand in massive datacenter and listen to the white noise.

The overwhelming majority of software guys don’t make that much.

(Majority of pilots make less too of course)

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbesmaster posted:

The overwhelming majority of software guys don’t make that much.

(Majority of pilots make less too of course)

Probably true, my frame of reference is the SF bay area. That said, I am at the medium-low end of the income scale for my region.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

soy posted:

I'm a software developer of sorts at the moment, transitioning toward being a pilot. It's a lot more fun even if the pay is worse!

Also, good job on recognizing the absurdity. I've talked to people in IT/programming who've managed to convince themselves they justify their massive salaries because their skills are so very rare and special. I try to avoid talking to the people like that more than once.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PT6A posted:

I'm a software developer of sorts at the moment, transitioning toward being a pilot. It's a lot more fun even if the pay is worse!

Also, good job on recognizing the absurdity. I've talked to people in IT/programming who've managed to convince themselves they justify their massive salaries because their skills are so very rare and special. I try to avoid talking to the people like that more than once.

I have fully leaned into the imposter syndrome lifestyle.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

soy posted:

Go stand in as much smaller uncomfortable space listening to white noise and it’s basically the same thing as being a pilot

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

e.pilot posted:

Go stand in as much smaller uncomfortable space listening to white noise and it’s basically the same thing as being a pilot

ya but I can be day drunk at work and probably nobody will die

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Jesus Christ this. I have to wear an 1100 dollar noise cancelling headset to not do damage to my ears just to be at work. Airplanes are great!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

Jesus Christ this. I have to wear an 1100 dollar noise cancelling headset to not do damage to my mind just to be at work. Open offices are great!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Arson Daily posted:

Jesus Christ this. I have to wear an 1100 dollar noise cancelling headset to not do damage to my ears just to be at work. Airplanes are great!

What?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Arson Daily posted:

I flew with a guy the other day that wasn’t use to the A20 and complained the whole time about how he couldn’t hear anything.

Then turn it off or something dog, don’t try to turn me off of it. I’m not wearing a telex because old school pilots think they can hear the engine oil level or some poo poo.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I have permanent tinnitus.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Animal posted:

I have permanent tinnitus.

WHAT

But really though bonanzas have some thick glass and you basically can’t even hear the engine. That’s why all those advertisements back in the day had pilots with no headsets.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Sagebrush posted:

I didn't realize they got that close to the ground

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Yeah, holy poo poo a lot of people nearly died there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There were five (fully fueled and loaded) planes lined up on that taxiway, and the NTSB is now saying that the Air Canada plane cleared the top of that 777's vertical stabilizer by about 5 feet.

It probably would have been worse than Tenerife.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Good god...

You can see right there at 1:02 where they turn their lights on. Man, that is terrifying.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 4, 2018

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
"I'm glad I got this trip; I've never gotten to fly around thunderstorms before. I'm excited to see how off schedule weather stuff works!"

-My 1st flight after OE FO yesterday (we timed out in IAH)

Rolo posted:

I flew with a guy the other day that wasn’t use to the A20 and complained the whole time about how he couldn’t hear anything.

Then turn it off or something dog, don’t try to turn me off of it. I’m not wearing a telex because old school pilots think they can hear the engine oil level or some poo poo.

I actually hear more with the ANR on than off. It does a great job of cancelling out constant noises like wind and engines but transient creaks and clicks still get through. My first takeoff with ANR was disturbing because i thought half the screws in the cockpit were coming out.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

KodiakRS posted:

"I'm glad I got this trip; I've never gotten to fly around thunderstorms before. I'm excited to see how off schedule weather stuff works!"

-My 1st flight after OE FO yesterday (we timed out in IAH)

Sounds way better than the grumpy captains that come unhinged every time there isn't a push crew on time or there is bad weather. Like jesus christ man, you signed up to do this for a living. Just shut the gently caress up already. Anytime I hear "I hate when these idiots..." I want to blow my brains out.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Rolo posted:

I’ve heard really good things from a handful of people about their customer service. Do let us know how it goes though, I’m going to send my 4 year old A20 in because my buddy got a brand new one and the dongle/ANR/bluetooth are all a lot better than mine.

Got it back, huge fan. One initial phone call and they sent me a prepaid UPS 2 day shipping label without hassle.

4/17: Initial call/UPS shipping label emailed
4/18: Dropped off at UPS
4/20: Arrived at Bose

4/24: Called and asked while it was being serviced, if they could switch out my U174 military connector to the GA plug. They said the GA plug was not in stock, but they would mail me out the GA connectors and a prepaid shipping label to send back the U174 connector. Later that night I got a shipping notification for the GA plugs had shipped.

5/2: Got shipping notification of A20s
5/4: Came back.

They gave me a signed copy of the repair/replacements done:

1) Noise Cancelling cable assembly (U174 which I'm sending back per the above)
2) Boom Mic
3) Left Earcup Assembly
4) Right Earcup Assembly
5) Headband Cushion
6) Ear Bushions (L/R)

Overall, A+++++ I'm very impressed.... especially because they went the extra mile with the U174/GA connectors above... which honestly, I was not expecting them to do. It was a whim that I didn't expect to work because Bose is a giant (bureaucratic) corporation.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

vessbot posted:

Sounds way better than the grumpy captains that come unhinged every time there isn't a push crew on time or there is bad weather. Like jesus christ man, you signed up to do this for a living. Just shut the gently caress up already. Anytime I hear "I hate when these idiots..." I want to blow my brains out.

Sounds like you’re saying that you hate when those idiots do that?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Sounds like you’re saying that you hate when those idiots do that?

Oh fu:aaaaa:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vessbot posted:

I had a captain magic up a (bullshit) reason to reject an airplane one night for an AMC flight, (which were easy money for the airline, Miami - Dover - Kandahar) after throwing a fit when the catering showed up with no Diet Coke.

Needless to say, that airline went out of business during the 2008 crash.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrYenko posted:

I had a captain magic up a (bullshit) reason to reject an airplane one night for an AMC flight, (which were easy money for the airline, Miami - Dover - Kandahar) after throwing a fit when the catering showed up with no Diet Coke.

Needless to say, that airline went out of business during the 2008 crash.

Did they fly DC-10s with the world's most unintentionally good-looking livery?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Did they fly DC-10s with the world's most unintentionally good-looking livery?

Our G-spot was large, prominent, and on display for the world to see. :bigtran:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

vessbot posted:

Being the one who sets the tone in the cockpit is probably the best part about becoming a captain. I know a few guys who would have blown a gasket multiple times on this trip but instead we just sort of "aw shucks'ed" our way through it. It helped that the FO provided some comic relief with his naivete.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Apparently there was a drunk flight attendant on a Trans States flight?
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/united-airlines-trans-states-flight-attendant-incident-481702141.html

quote:

"Boarding announcements were 'if your seatbelt isn’t tight, you F^*%ed up,'" Gorman said.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hahaha awesome.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Was talking to a Riddle DA40 the other night, and he unabled a climb to 7000. I came back around a couple minutes later and asked him about it; Apparently Riddle policy is no flights above 5000msl at night. What the actual gently caress?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrYenko posted:

Was talking to a Riddle DA40 the other night, and he unabled a climb to 7000. I came back around a couple minutes later and asked him about it; Apparently Riddle policy is no flights above 5000msl at night. What the actual gently caress?

Hypoxia is a bigger risk at night, I believe it has something to do with how oxygen is used for night vision or something, so it's generally advised to stay lower than you'd fly during the day, or use oxygen at a lower altitude than normal. That sounds like a bit of a ridiculous blanket policy to me, but I understand the intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If that was the concern shouldn't the limit be 10,000 ft?