Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Like I was saying earlier in the thread, Kid Loki would be a good Hemsworth/Waititi project instead of just doing Thor 4.

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know if Kid Loki would be as effective if they didn't have the whole thing with the backstory reasons as to why he exists.

I think it would fit in well with what we saw in Infinity War. It even ties in with the post-credits from Ragnarok where Loki points out that even with his redemption, he still wouldn't be accepted on Earth due to the whole New York thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
A Loki movie could be fun, especially if it was a parallel of the first Thor movie.

Loki stripped of all his power and banished to Earth. Makes friends with some folks and finds humility and gets to save the day.

Eats a hot dog.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

If they cast the kid from Hunt For The Wilderpeople as Kid Loki I would lose my mind

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jamesman posted:

A Loki movie could be fun, especially if it was a parallel of the first Thor movie.

Loki stripped of all his power and banished to Earth. Makes friends with some folks and finds humility and gets to save the day.

Eats a hot dog.

Discovers the magic of bacon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking more the last Young Avengers series turned into a movie. Well, you combine it and the earlier one. You could have Hulkling and Wiccan running around, trying to do good. Meet Kate, then America, and finally Kid Loki.

I feel like Phase 4 is going to be about adding new heroes as, and Young Avengers seems like a no brainer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking more the last Young Avengers series turned into a movie. Well, you combine it and the earlier one. You could have Hulkling and Wiccan running around, trying to do good. Meet Kate, then America, and finally Kid Loki.

I feel like Phase 4 is going to be about adding new heroes as, and Young Avengers seems like a no brainer.

Give me Moon Knight or give me any number of c list heroes that I would find acceptable.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Looks like Juggernaut may in fact be in Deadpool 2 due to a track from the soundtrack.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
They can only go upwards with that character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

Looks like Juggernaut may in fact be in Deadpool 2 due to a track from the soundtrack.

I find this acceptable.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Nilbop posted:

They can only go upwards with that character.

The most appropriate movie franchise for him to be in.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hi I'm Thanos, I'm on a quest to collect stones that will give me complete control over reality so I can kill half of all the people because it's too crowded up in this piece or something. Actually I'm a really complex and tragic figure who cries a lot, inside and out, but still 100% on killing half of the total population of the universe instead of y'know, making more space or resources with my unlimited power. Because that would be silly. Almost as silly as killing half of the universe to impress a feminine personification of Death!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Chickenwalker posted:

Hi I'm Thanos, I'm on a quest to collect stones that will give me complete control over reality so I can kill half of all the people because it's too crowded up in this piece or something. Actually I'm a really complex and tragic figure who cries a lot, inside and out, but still 100% on killing half of the total population of the universe instead of y'know, making more space or resources with my unlimited power. Because that would be silly. Almost as silly as killing half of the universe to impress a feminine personification of Death!

wait til you find out this whole genre is about adults in tights punching each other

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Who's got that Alfred Hitchcock quote about why people in movies don't just go to the police? We need to explain that to another one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nilbop posted:

Who's got that Alfred Hitchcock quote about why people in movies don't just go to the police? We need to explain that to another one.

That panel with the dinosaur guy telling Spider-Man that he doesn't want to cure cancer with his amazing supertech, he wants to turn people into dinosaurs would also be acceptable.

Spoiler alert: Thanos is a villain and also crazy, hence "Mad Titan." His goals being dumb and destructive even if his motivations are kind of halfway understandable if you cock your head to the side and squint is a big part of that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Nilbop posted:

I was just watching a movie retrospective that used that quote. I'm not allowed to say for what movie though, because it's forbidden in this thread.

quote:

The sheriff’s intervention comes under the heading of what we have discussed many times before: “Why don’t they go to the police?” I’ve always replied, “They don’t go to the police because it’s dull.”

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Loki chat if they are going back to the Battle of New York in A4, then we might still get a bit of Hiddleston's Loki

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

You’re defending lazy writing with the even lazier excuse of ”he’s mad!”. Even the Joker hd method to his madness, Thanos is just dumb.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Also, Thanos in the movie very clearly isn't 'mad' in the sense that he's delusional. He just doesn't know what he's doing. He's an idiot.

Karloff posted:

Loki chat if they are going back to the Battle of New York in A4, then we might still get a bit of Hiddleston's Loki

He is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Complaining that superhero movies have superhero tropes is as bad as that guy complaining about Star Wars movies having lightsabers and spaceships.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Complaining that superhero movies have superhero tropes is as bad as that guy complaining about Star Wars movies having lightsabers and spaceships.

Thanos's plan makes a modicum more sense in the comics because he wants to bang death or whatever.

The former is lazy, the latter is a feature.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There is nothing lazy about wanting to bang death, friend.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

:siren: :siren: :siren:

Alright we’ve gone through two full weekends. No more spoiler tags for Infinity War required past this post.

And on that note...

Oh James Gunn you bastard.

https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/993265674616221696

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
mother fucker

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

It's just a tree, plants dont have feelings

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fartbox posted:

It's just a tree, plants dont have feelings

Neither do you, evidently.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Could groot grow vegetables or fruits out of his body and would it be wrong to eat them

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Sure, it's like eating eggs from a chicken right? Nuthin' wrong with that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thanos had a plan hundreds of years ago and it cost him his planet and his people so god drat it, he's going to see it through no matter what. Like McCloud defending WB movies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fartbox posted:

Could groot grow vegetables or fruits out of his body and would it be wrong to eat them
Swamp Thing makes fruits and lets people smoke him, so I doubt Groot is any different.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

I hope we get a swamp thing stoner comedy

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Sure, it's like eating eggs from a chicken right? Nuthin' wrong with that.

It might be if you're the chicken

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

If my best friend Steve started sprouting strawberries off his scalp or whatever and offered me some I'd hesitate to consume them

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I know it's the MCU and they could've made it work, but Thanos' character being fueled by arrogance and determination is just way better than it being fueled by a lady skeleton.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

Thanos had a plan hundreds of years ago and it cost him his planet and his people so god drat it, he's going to see it through no matter what. Like McCloud defending WB movies.

Yes, this. Thanos doesn't do a lot of thinking, and even if he did, he's not very creative. A reasonably clever person with any two of The Stones should be pretty unstoppable, and Thanos had all six and still ended up with an axe where his sternum should be. Because he's very, very dumb.

His plan to save Titan is short-sighted, simple and flawed, and it's the crowning achievement of his thinking career. The best thought he's ever thunk. It's never even occurred to him to reconsider it. When everyone died on Titan he just took that plan and made it bigger. That's it. That's the closest to critical analysis he's ever gotten.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You guys are all overthinking it. He's just a dad who wanted to go camping without being bugged by annoying-rear end people or his lovely, ungrateful kids.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

McCloud posted:

Thanos's plan makes a modicum more sense in the comics because he wants to bang death or whatever.

The former is lazy, the latter is a feature.

Thanos is just traumatized because he "saw it coming" before with Titan and everybody thought he was a monster, so he didn't do anything.

He did it to Gamora's home planet and it worked, so he's convinced that this time he can't let anyone talk him down or stop him from doing the greater good because he has brokebrains/martyr complex.

His plan makes logical sense from his history. He is just reliving his past battle and doesn't have the advantage of 60+ years of comic lore that the audience has.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 7, 2018

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

SonicRulez posted:

I know it's the MCU and they could've made it work, but Thanos' character being fueled by arrogance and determination is just way better than it being fueled by a lady skeleton.

I've got bad news for you, dude, because the comic book version was also fueled by arrogance and determination.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thanos is just arrogant and bullheaded. He has a plan to save the universe and he's going to to go through with it regardless of anything, and listening to anyone else's would be weakness.
He's a foil for Stark that's what works

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanos is basically Erik Cartman. He hates standing in long rear end lines at amusement parks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Thanos' thinking is the same thinking hunters use. It's a very good motivation for a villian and way better for the moves than wanting to bone the concept of death.

"If we don't kill deer every year they're will be too many and they'll eat all the grass and all die."

• Locked thread