Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't know where you get that idea. I'm generally really positive about all the games I play!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

spudsbuckley posted:

Sci fi is the worst genre.

Sorry it's actually YA Fantasy

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like a good 100 hour epic adventure through time and space, it’s nice to get to the end and go goddamn

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

"Wow I'm sure glad that game took 100 hours to beat" - me, never.

"Wow I'm sure glad that game took 100 hours to beat" - me, after finishing Persona 5

(replace that with 75 hours for Xenoblade 2)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Some weird people need to games to be long because they start thinking about $ per hour

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Long games and short games and heck, even medium games are all individually good until proven bad

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have been looking at my collection/backlog and wonder why I have all these games?

Have any of you ever sold off your collection to adopt a more spartan attitude towards games? What I mean is you get a new game, play it, dispose then get something else?

I know some of you do that already, but have gone from having a ton of games to only a few? How did that work for you? Any regrets on selling off your collection?

It seems that any game I want to play, I could always just purchase again so I wouldn't be losing much by selling things. I just wouldn't have the variety.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Sage Monday Morning Advice: you don't have to justify why you like something

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

Long games and short games and heck, even medium games are all individually good until proven bad

:hai:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I have been looking at my collection/backlog and wonder why I have all these games?

Have any of you ever sold off your collection to adopt a more spartan attitude towards games? What I mean is you get a new game, play it, dispose then get something else?

I know some of you do that already, but have gone from having a ton of games to only a few? How did that work for you? Any regrets on selling off your collection?

It seems that any game I want to play, I could always just purchase again so I wouldn't be losing much by selling things. I just wouldn't have the variety.

After moving a bunch, i consolidated most of my games onto my wii u, so it actually has been extremely tempting to drop by my parent's house sometime and sell all my old physical games

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I usually don't buy games in anticipation of playing them later. If I'm not going to play it immediately it can wait

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

When the new God of War came out and looked good, I decided to play through the old games after giving up on the first for some reason back when it came out. I probably wouldn't still be doing that if they each weren't like 10 hours long or less a piece. Though I did skip the PSP games and watched the cutscenes on Youtube.

Though that's going to be funny since apparently the new one is like 40 hours. Probably end up getting done with III and Ascension and just not play the new one for a while anyway.

Waltzing Along posted:

Yo.

quote:

Not really. There was some thread in E/N maybe a couple years ago with somebody who hoarded a bunch of junk and there were two replies in it that really resonated with me. One was "why have a bunch of cheap crap you don't like and instead have a few really cool things that might be expensive?", and the other was "why worry about losing stuff that you can easily get back if you change your mind later on?". I basically treat them like extended rentals and don't worry about stuff too much.

quote:

Yeah. I'd say the biggest thing is getting over past regrets. I hoarded my poo poo for so long because I made a really bad deal when I was young about selling off all my SNES games, but nowadays I got the few games I liked back and don't really sweat about the others because I clearly didn't need them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One big reason I went digital as soon as it was feasible was that games no longer occupy any space and I'm no longer responsible for their maintenance. I still have a storage bin full of 360/PS3 games under my bed which I might try to get rid of the next time I move.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Every time I complete a game I nail it to my bed like a trophy

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

haveblue posted:

One big reason I went digital as soon as it was feasible was that games no longer occupy any space and I'm no longer responsible for their maintenance. I still have a storage bin full of 360/PS3 games under my bed which I might try to get rid of the next time I move.

My post is exactly why I don't like digital. I can sell off a ton of my collection and get $$$ back. With digital I'd just have a huge sunk cost library. It's more that my backlog on Wii/3ds/PS4/PS3/360/Vita/Other is pretty long for each system.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Looper posted:

Sage Monday Morning Advice: you don't have to justify why you like something

Actually it is incumbent on you as a modern citizen to fully interrogate the sociocultural influences on and impact of you liking anything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am that person that plays super grindy multiplayer games. So I stick to one or two games for a very long time.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's also easier to justify selling games these days now that they mostly come with nothing and feel like they're already stored in disposable throwaway cases and since they don't ever truly become hard to find since you can always just buy a digital copy if you really want to play it and can't find it later.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

never sell games

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I played god of war all weekend and spent most of that time just boating around a lake looking for treasure. Game's a lot more low key than I expected, in a good way.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oddium posted:

never sell games

you must sell your games, it's the only way to show your raw gamer power to the store clerks

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You don't wanna sell games to a game store, they don't understand their true value

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I looked at The World Ends With You on my shelf all weekend because I want to replay it, but I know it's going to come out on switch this year, but I don't know when it's going to come out and also the switch is not the two-screen version when I've only played the two-screen version so what if it comes out and I don't like it as much and then I would've been correct to have just played my old copy when the mood struck me instead of waiting?

All problems that would be solved if I had just thrown my old games away.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Even if you sell your games, the memories you made with them will forever be a part of you.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Oh man that row of soulless unidentifiable human characters in the back is so bad lol. Gets me every time

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

I looked at The World Ends With You on my shelf all weekend because I want to replay it, but I know it's going to come out on switch this year, but I don't know when it's going to come out and also the switch is not the two-screen version when I've only played the two-screen version so what if it comes out and I don't like it as much and then I would've been correct to have just played my old copy when the mood struck me instead of waiting?

All problems that would be solved if I had just thrown my old games away.

Buy switch TWEWY so that they make a sequel. That's how it works, right? I'm looking forward to the cool art style and music in better quality.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think making catch all statements about how long games should be is silly.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

chumbler posted:

Buy switch TWEWY so that they make a sequel. That's how it works, right? I'm looking forward to the cool art style and music in better quality.

TWEWY will never get a sequel and hell its probably better that way

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

goferchan posted:

Oh man that row of soulless unidentifiable human characters in the back is so bad lol. Gets me every time

is that angel cole and devil cole

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

games are too narrow and should be wider

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

oddium posted:

is that angel cole and devil cole

I think that's unaligned Cole and Dante from the DMC reboot.

e: Unless you mean redhead crew cut guy next to tekken guy on the other side, I don't know who else that could be either.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 7, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Really Pants posted:

games are too narrow and should be wider

I miss when PC games came in those gigantic boxes with notepads and thicc instruction manuals.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That's kind of crazy the only two women characters they could think of were Fat Princess and whatever her name was from Heavenly Sword

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Supposedly they wanted Lara Croft but PS All-Stars had a release date ahead of TR2013 and Square didn't want that game upstaging her return in the reboot.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
It's silly to look for validation from other people whether you're allowed or not to enjoy something, just dig into it :shrug:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

"Wow I'm sure glad that game took 100 hours to beat" - me, never.

I seem to remember you are pro Witcher 3 though. How long did that take you?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Samuringa posted:

It's silly to look for validation from other people whether you're allowed or not to enjoy something, just dig into it :shrug:

I enjoy seeking validation you heartless monster

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I want Sony to finally announce a PS All-Stars 2 because I'd like to live in a world where the car from Rocket League can beat up Bloodborne Guy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

I want Sony to finally announce a PS All-Stars 2 because I'd like to live in a world where the car from Rocket League can beat up Bloodborne Guy.

Only if it's an actual Battle Royale game and you can have all 100 first party characters fighting at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Sometimes it does weird me out that one of Sony's most "iconic characters" is just some dude in jeans and a t-shirt

• Locked thread