Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Casimir Radon posted:

I hope she enjoys being humiliated in front of the world.

To be fair the CIA has been pretty experienced at that over the years.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Man how awkward would it be to recognize your Dom as the head of the CIA. Like how to do you approach that subject.... Would she just beat you harder?

You'd definitely pay more for the privilege?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
To be fair, it's going to be hard to find someone who A) has built a career over the last 17 years in the CIA, including operations experience, and B) has never been involved in anything shady or embarrassing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dead Reckoning posted:

To be fair, it's going to be hard to find someone who A) has built a career over the last 17 years in the CIA, including operations experience, and B) has never been involved in anything shady or embarrassing.

If you cant keep your skeletons hidden while you work in the CIA perhaps you are not very good at your job.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dead Reckoning posted:

The CIA was conceived in sin and born in corruption and it passeth from the stink of the didie to the stench of the shroud.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Dead Reckoning posted:

The big thing is that any other potential pick for Donnie's CIA Director is likely to be worse. It's a Devil you know/don't decision right now.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
I was reading the memoir of a guy who was in like the second class of CIA trainees and according to him the organization was suuuuuuper WASPy in the early days, and everyone was just kinda trying to figure stuff out on the fly. He had one story about being sent to train some Southeast Asians (Hmong?) in guerrilla warfare, except he knew nothing about guerrilla warfare or their language. He did have a philosophy degree. (The story has a happy ending-- the whole thing was just a scam, and nobody died as a result of this dumb scheme).

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

The big thing is that any other potential pick for Donnie's CIA Director is likely to be worse. It's a Devil you know/don't decision right now.

I essentially said the same thing. Like yeah she's a torturer, but the alternative is a torturer that is loyal to trump

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DKD posted:

I was reading the memoir of a guy who was in like the second class of CIA trainees and according to him the organization was suuuuuuper WASPy in the early days, and everyone was just kinda trying to figure stuff out on the fly. He had one story about being sent to train some Southeast Asians (Hmong?) in guerrilla warfare, except he knew nothing about guerrilla warfare or their language. He did have a philosophy degree. (The story has a happy ending-- the whole thing was just a scam, and nobody died as a result of this dumb scheme).

Remember that the original CIA was born out of the OSS from World War II, so it wasn't like they just stood up a completely new organization with no experience. With that being said, I also completely believe what you wrote above, because it's the same way the modern US military works. Except for the nobody dying part.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Plus the OSS was a dangerous job and there are all too many examples of a very bright officer with extensive local knowledge and understanding either getting killed when their knowledge was needed most or simply being ignored by higher for political or arrogance reasons.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I essentially said the same thing. Like yeah she's a torturer, but the alternative is a torturer that is loyal to trump

Well i guess this is as good as it’s gonna get.

Jeezus.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I need a resource, I'm thinking of exploring whether or not a reserve officer program would pay for a Info Assurance PhD. Who can talk me out of it?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Any good PhD program will pay you a stipend and waive tuition. If you're being charged to do the PhD, don't do it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The military paying for your undergrad is a good trade if you don’t have fiscal options. Selling yourself to the military for a PhD is a massive waste of talent and resources.

Now on the other hand finding a DoD agency program (or contractor) willing to fund a PhD in infosec in return for you working for them as a civilian is pretty common and won’t be horrible. The Department of the Navy is funding something like 25 PhDs in my school this year, and have no affiliation with a reserve or commissioning program nor any service agreement

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Much obliged.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

psydude posted:

Except for the nobody dying part.

That part of the dudes bio was probably a lie and they probably tried a nightingale style op that resulted in the trained up Hmong dying.

I recommend "Legacy of Ashes" to anyone who hasn't read it. Highlights include the CIA continuing to try poo poo that didn't work in WW2 and has never worked because guys like the Dulles brothers are idiots. Well connected idiots, but still dangerously stupid. Things like para dropping trained up ex-pat agitators recruited from refugee camps. Which always results in them getting caught or dying after insertion because someone at the camp they're recruiting from tips off the commies.

Its full of many such wonderful examples of weapons grade stupid and crazy.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Immanentized posted:

I need a resource, I'm thinking of exploring whether or not a reserve officer program would pay for a Info Assurance PhD. Who can talk me out of it?

Look for a program called "Scholarship for Service". There's maybe 100 universities in the US that participate, but if you're accepted you get full tuition coverage, $34K a year stipend, $4k a year reimbursed for professional development expenses (like going to conferences), and $2k a year health insurance reimbursement. It will fund up to three years and when done you're expected to spend an equal amount of time working a civilian cybersecurity or information assurance position in the federal, state, local, or tribal governments, or go work for one of the national labs. I just got my MS through the program and it's been a great experience.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Steezo posted:

That part of the dudes bio was probably a lie and they probably tried a nightingale style op that resulted in the trained up Hmong dying.

I recommend "Legacy of Ashes" to anyone who hasn't read it. Highlights include the CIA continuing to try poo poo that didn't work in WW2 and has never worked because guys like the Dulles brothers are idiots. Well connected idiots, but still dangerously stupid. Things like para dropping trained up ex-pat agitators recruited from refugee camps. Which always results in them getting caught or dying after insertion because someone at the camp they're recruiting from tips off the commies.

Its full of many such wonderful examples of weapons grade stupid and crazy.

Killing Hope is also good

Edit:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/993452275648679938?s=19

Obstruction (other wise known as O) isn't real anymore

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 7, 2018

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

We're post-reality. We ignore bad things and they stop existing.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Take it from Trump's wives, there is no O.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

facialimpediment posted:

Take it from Trump's wives, there is no O.

There is an O in snore.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The last few days I’ve been doing a bunch of graduation stuff and haven’t paid much attention to politics and I gotta say ignorance is definitely bliss.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/bungdan/status/993497653085274113

This is such a bizarre story.

quote:

A UAE government website proclaims that “His Excellency Major General Staff Pilot Stephen A. Toumajan” is “Commander” of the UAE’s Joint Aviation Command, which, according to experts on the UAE’s military, operates most of the nation’s combat helicopters. The website says he is responsible for training, combat readiness, and “execution of all aviation missions.”

“I’m the commanding general for the Joint Aviation Command in UAE,” he says in a video on a US Defense Department website. “The UAE is a very small country,” he continues. “We” — meaning the UAE — “don’t have the landmass that you” — the Americans — “have for these types of training events, so we certainly appreciate the hospitality that you’ve shown the United Arab Emirates and to my soldiers.”

His business cards also proclaim he is a UAE general. Reached by cell phone in Abu Dhabi, he answers in an authoritative voice: “General Steve.”

Yet he also insists he is not actually in the UAE military. “I'm a major general for the United Arab Emirates,” he testified in a child custody hearing in Florida. “I hold the duty, rank, the responsibilities of a major general.” But in the very next breath, he stated, “I’m not currently in their armed forces.”

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He's an O-8 equivalent.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.ccn.com/billionaire-warren-buffett-trashes-bitcoin-again-its-rat-poison-squared/

Wanna see bitcoiner responses to this

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

It's right there in the last section:

quote:

While Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger remain avowed crypto skeptics, a younger generation of tech billionaires like Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey, PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel, and tech venture capitalist Tim Draper are unmoved in their conviction that bitcoin is here to stay and will displace all other currencies.

In fact, Draper is so confident in the future of crypto that he has set a $250,000 bitcoin price target for 2022, as CCN has reported.

Draper, an early investor in Skype, Tesla, and Hotmail, says bitcoin will be bigger than all three combined because it’s a revolution that’s bigger than the Internet.

“This is bigger than the internet,” Draper said. “It’s bigger than the Iron Age, the Renaissance. It’s bigger than the Industrial Revolution. This affects the entire world and it’s going to be affected in a faster and more prevalent way than you ever imagined.”

"The older generations do not understand our revolution and will be swept aside. Can't wait for all the boomers to die off... so that we can replace the federal reserve with bitcoin."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dead Reckoning posted:

"The older generations do not understand our revolution and will be swept aside. Can't wait for all the boomers to die off... so that we can replace the federal reserve with bitcoin."

How to tell when you are in a cult/scam: When you have to talk up how huge your somewhat insignificant revolution is.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't dabble much, but goddamn do I want to try whatever that guy is on. Is he going to get to $250,000 by executing more wash trades that led to the December 2017 spike?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
"bigger than the industrial revolution" loving lmao this loving guy

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Bitcoin, which produces literally nothing, is more important than the Industrial Revolution. :wtc:

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Current Event on the ground:

I'm at an ISC2 (they issue the CISSP) event outside of DC this week. There is a fabulous wealth of knowledge and experience here, but people can't loving follow Q&A sessions due to the exhaustive reliance of federal employees on useless loving acronyms and weird rear end dependencies that don't exist anywhere else.

No wonder IT and Infosecurity is a mess, people can't talk to each other between industries without relearning industry terms.

Emerging threat: Machine learning and AI driven exploits and zero day vulnerabilities.
Oh fun, and ransomware is now gonna use locked computers to mine crytpocurrencies while it has possession of your system. Sort of a hijacking/timed release sort of situation.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 7, 2018

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Ah yes bitcoin, a force unstoppable, unless there's some power outages or something

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nestle just gobbled up Starbucks product line rights for retail, so anything not sold at a Starbucks store.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nestle-inks-deal-to-sell-starbucks-products-world-wide-1525671469

Post counting on phone is meh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

No loving poo poo. Sure bitcoins were good to make a buck if you bought in early and then sold it at the peak. But, if you actually believed bitcoins are relevant beyond their value as a commodity to make crafty bastards rich on idiots money and financing the majority of shady bullshit like international human trafficking and large drug sales, I don't know what to say.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Immanentized posted:

Emerging threat: Machine learning and AI driven exploits and zero day vulnerabilities.
Oh fun, and ransomware is now gonna use locked computers to mine crytpocurrencies while it has possession of your system. Sort of a hijacking/timed release sort of situation.

Link plz

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Immanentized posted:

I'm at an ISC2 (they issue the CISSP) event outside of DC this week. There is a fabulous wealth of knowledge and experience here, but people can't loving follow Q&A sessions due to the exhaustive reliance of federal employees on useless loving acronyms and weird rear end dependencies that don't exist anywhere else.

No wonder IT and Infosecurity is a mess, people can't talk to each other between industries without relearning industry terms.

Hey I’m at the same event! I’m the kinda average height, heavy set, middle age guy in business casual with a mustache! Let’s grab a drink after!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey I’m at the same event! I’m the kinda average height, heavy set, middle age guy in business casual with a mustache! Let’s grab a drink after!

I demand you wait until Wednesday or maybe Thursday.

Or do whatever, and then we do it again Wednesday or Thursday.

E: I feel like we have enough of a NoVa presence that we could have a sizable meet up.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Or as future litigators might call it, exhibit A.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Don’t be a wimp. I barely drink anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Godholio posted:

He's an O-8 equivalent.

:lol:

• Locked thread