Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dooguk posted:

Don't forget that $1= $4 in the strange mind of Chris Roberts.

Ah, but ALL the money goes into developing the game, nothing goes into marketing. What? The 1000+ marketing videos they are pumping out constantly? That's not marketing! That's just the most open development evah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tokamak posted:

when used sincerely it signals that you are alt-right, but also retarded. the idea is that soy has estrogen in it and is making the progressive types who eat soy effete. never mind you can't metabolise it, or that 'traditional' foods like milk have estrogen in it.

Let's not forget what may be the best soy boy-related post on the internet:

Otto Xander
Dec 5, 2013

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

The THING will be an RSI branded poopstool for high-fidelity poopers. This will trigger the true ELE: A poopstool lawsuit.

Taintrunner posted:

THE THING will be an episodic release schedule for Squadron 42, Telltale style

Squaddy 42 Potty :gary:

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Dooguk posted:

Don't forget that $1= $4 in the strange mind of Chris Roberts.

Maybe they just multiplied all 'pledges' by 4 in the tracker - checkmate.

DrBall_MD
Oct 11, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Of course it loving is. If anyone can be bothered, you could probably make a fun little "who said this" game, where the player guesses if a quote is from Sandi Gardiner or Gul Dukat.

Tain

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

G0RF posted:

Bethesda has a bigger booth for E3 this year. Wonder what sort of crazy plans they’re cooking up this year?

E3 2018 floorplan

Who's that crazy "Frontier" company buying a chunk of space as big as Microsoft?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Gosts posted:

[backbeat]

The citizen con seats are packed and sweaty, filled with spaghetti.
The lights dim, room fills with confetti. Christ Roberts comes out, he's ready.

"Behold the procedural, it's a city." He points it out, doesn't mention it's lovely.
You can't interact, but Chris is so witty. Everyone's sucking on the SC titty.

"This apartment is yours for ninteen ninty nine." Hey that's a good deal, sounds fine.
"Recurring payments since the game's online. Even comes with this digital wine."

Chris is on a roll, his hands are waving. He's giving people the attention they're craving.
But with a parp and crack, the roof starts caving. It's Dr. smart, and citizen souls need saving.

He lands with a crash in the middle of the stage. He powers up like goku, going into a rage.
"You think this is good? It's a virtual cage. Trust me on this, I'm a game dev sage."

"You're trapped in this trashfire, digital baloney. Can't you see that this capital ship is phony?"
"Chris is running a scam, and Sandi's a crony. If this game is real, then Ben's body is bony."

Derek's speech is rough, and coarse just like sand. But to these deaf backers, it's nothing but canned.
They all rise and help Roberts, his crowdsurfing's grand. It's too bad that Doctor Smart got banned.

^repeatedly snaps fingers in appreciation*

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Day Late Gamer with Will takes on the Hercules LTI Controversy

It’s enjoyable in the usual Day Late Gamer fashion.

Interestingly, Noobifier shows up in comments to chide him for the “rant”.

quote:

the system was never meant to be a “Lay Away”. The ships and CCUs n meltback aren’t price protected either so be prepared to make another video. What I don’t understand is why you don’t just buy CCUs instead of one. If you are worried that you will melt and only have a token to unmelt, get 30... I understand that you are pissed off and all, but rather than focus a 17 minute rant, why not make a video explaining how to “beat the new impositions”. Unless you think your viewers really just want to watch to be pissed off, it may be more productive.

Noob, you yourself have been scolded by Lando for condensing down the long CIG videos he often helps create into your #nobullshit versions because details gets crushed by your hashtag-branded compression algorithm. Your YouTube channel states “I will make interesting Star Citizen content in a way that the others will not. #nobullshit“

So why be scolding him for responding with honest frustrations about the principle of the thing? You are actually encouraging him to document a #bullshit workaround rather than letting him call #bullshit on obnoxious new money favoritism from CIG. The dissent police don’t need new additions to their ranks and CIG doesn’t need yet more defenders of garbage business practices. You can’t stand for #nobullshit when you’re basically defending it and you’re going to get even more of this #bullshit if you do.

Let Will Be Will.

Lladre posted:

Who's that crazy "Frontier" company buying a chunk of space as big as Microsoft?

Well that’s just what sellout companies who cater to the base tastes of console gamers would do. E3 is so yesterday, so for the plebeians it’s not even funny. The only show worth watching is The PC Gaming Show if Chris Roberts is attending because he’s the one building the jump gates to an entirely better way of gaming.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
they still need to sell almost 1200 more citizencon tickets lol

that place is gonna be like a fuckin graveyard if they don't start sellin them seats

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also probably very, very unprofitable, renting out that place ain't exactly cheap

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

There's no way this guy is a real person.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

TheAgent posted:

that place is gonna be like a fuckin graveyard if they don't start sellin them seats
It's only May and they have the dumbest collection of customers that has ever existed. All they need to do is throw out another flashy cinematic at the right time and it will be a sold out show.

Get a really hot actress and make her look like a Kilrathi in promo material and then advertise that she will be at citizen con. Done. Hire me CIG, I have no conscience and am willing to scam the mentally ill and foolish too.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 7, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

VictorianQueerLit posted:

It's only May and they have the dumbest collection of customers that has ever existed. All they need to do is throw out another flashy cinematic at the right time and it will be a sold out show.

Get a really hot actress and make her look like a Kilrathi in promo material and then advertise that she will be at citizen con. Done. Hire me CIG, I have no conscience and am willing to scam the mentally ill and foolish too.

:thurman:

Lladre posted:

:thurman::thurman::thurman:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
The Unreachable STAR CITIZEN Looks Really Pretty (And Also Boring) In 6 Minutes Of Pure Gameplay Footage

"The latest gameplay footage released by IGN focuses on picking up a box. As you probably guessed, the mission is really boring to watch and Chris Roberts known for Wing Commander and Freelancer should try to find a way to avoid the No Man's Sky situation with no, or boring content. Cloud Imperium Games share Hello Games' ambition and whether it translates to a final product remains to be seen."

Welcome to the new and emboldened gaming press I guess?

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Shadowlyger posted:

Ever heard of Blizzcon? 35,000 people last year. Tickets tend to sell out in a matter of seconds.

They've had to expand the Anaheim Convention Center several times, just for Blizzcon.

yup. Was just going to say Blizzcon tickets are $199 only a little more than the $135 for the terrible Citizencon. And yes they do sell out in seconds and they have expanded the convention center just to accommodate. Blizzard cares about it's paying customers so they are beloved. Star Citizen hates them, divides them into classes and fleeces them over and over so people hate them. It's fun.

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

G0RF posted:

Will you be attending tonight’s whale feeding event, MoMA?

I can't even. SA what the. You have to be freaking kidding me

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Thoatse posted:

WOMPA WAS NOT A JOKE

Good! I can finally earn my Wompa Stompa title :grin:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheAgent posted:

That they've sold anything while the community is pissed off about them being even more blatant than usual about pushing cash sales is pretty sad.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

his nibs posted:

The Unreachable STAR CITIZEN Looks Really Pretty (And Also Boring) In 6 Minutes Of Pure Gameplay Footage

"The latest gameplay footage released by IGN focuses on picking up a box. As you probably guessed, the mission is really boring to watch and Chris Roberts known for Wing Commander and Freelancer should try to find a way to avoid the No Man's Sky situation with no, or boring content. Cloud Imperium Games share Hello Games' ambition and whether it translates to a final product remains to be seen."

CRobberts is a guy that likes lengthy, detailed taking off and landing sequences involving clearances, flight towers, ground crews, angles of approach, flight checks, traffic reports, weather reports and elaborate control schemes.

Unfortunately for this MMORPG, most people want to get from Point A to Point B to get their new item. They are unconcerned with the overblown and verbose bullshit the airplane autist has created other than it takes hours to accomplish anything and on top of being pointless and costing fifty million dollars, it's actually extremely annoying.

If this game ever actually did exist I wouldn't play it until about six months after release when it goes free to play, all the ships are worthless and Chris Roberts has sold it to some freemium scam studio that will actually make the game better while trying to fleece people. They might add in an option to turn off the cinematics or remove them entirely so that people can actually play the game efficiently and start needing greater amounts of premium currency. What would they need them for? It's not like they spent three years and a hundred million dollars elaborately motion capturing Ensign Ricky checking his pre-flight clipboard or whatever the gently caress.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 7, 2018

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

his nibs posted:

It mentions 100% crowdfunded. But... didn't AMD and Intel and-I-don't-know-who-else... contribute to this shitshow in exchange for promotion of their products?

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

G0RF posted:

I like Dronez. He’s on the SpaceBro Show and seems of the same cloth as Mitauchi — former hardcore Eve player with a pretty phlegmatic temperament. They’re whales but the benign sort, their big weakness being their endless capacity to discount the seriousness of Chris’s transgressions simply because they, like Jake, subscribe to the “yeah Chris has lied a lot but if we get a good game in the end it’ll be worth it” worldview.

Hopefully Dronez will give the full skinny on SpaceBto.

Here’s the real-time reel:

https://twitter.com/DrDronezChannel/status/992528283504787457
https://twitter.com/DrDronezChannel/status/992532318576295936
https://twitter.com/DrDronezChannel/status/992541877457973248
https://twitter.com/DrDronezChannel/status/992542812238303232
https://twitter.com/DrDronezChannel/status/992554297052151809
And a react tweet:
https://twitter.com/DrDronezChannel/status/992530978479398912
Thank you for volunteering your past service, but the price for an LA Studio Tour is $350. Pay up or shut up.

Elsewhere on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/AkiranBlade/status/992543801255358464
https://twitter.com/AkiranBlade/status/992543165541437440
https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/992492790461468672
^^^Burn this Heretic!
https://twitter.com/Omega6ixx/status/992533222423543808
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/992567754757582848
Um, why is he working on hair while the whale dinner is on? And for that matter, why are YOU?

Cult

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

AbstractNapper posted:

It mentions 100% crowdfunded. But... didn't AMD and Intel and-I-don't-know-who-else... contribute to this shitshow in exchange for promotion of their products?

Well since they promised to release a full financial accounting if they were more than two years past their release date, which was four years ago, then it should be an easy matter to see how much outside money has been used.

CellarDweller
Jan 19, 2014

Down In The Pit... There's It!

VictorianQueerLit posted:

CRobberts is a guy that thinks he would like lengthy, detailed taking off and landing sequences involving clearances, flight towers, ground crews, angles of approach, flight checks, traffic reports, weather reports and elaborate control schemes.

fify. Pretty sure Chris Robberts is one of those "hardcore gamers" that mysteriously does not actually play video games including his own.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Historic "THE THING"s:

2012: A prerendered trailer for a single player game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhRQPhL1YU
2013: A gameplay video of you in your hangar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1E3l8pewzY&t=1419s
2014: A release of the hangar mode. A prerendered trailer promising a persistent universe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gx-3iwXvoQ
2015: A release of Arena Commander. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8_NqLgZHEo
2016: A release of "Alpha 2.0," the current map/game-mode. A prerendered trailer promising land-based gameplay and sandworms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuDj5v81Nd0&t=5454s
2017: A release of "Alpha 2.6." featuring some of the planets. A video of Squadron 42 gameplay. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUPcWHBOCEk

So we've got a pretty stable pattern there. One THING will be a prerendered bullshot trailer for next year's THING, the other will be the stripped-down, cut back, utterly broken release of THING.

We've got a lot of rumors that this year's THING will be squadron 42, and that lines up with their trailer/release pattern and also with the assets we've seen them working on in videos. But what will the bullshit video be? It seems like they're becoming increasingly unhinged as time goes on. The Agent's prediction rings true to me, in that it is more ambitious than previous years, but at the same time I suspect that it won't really be a big battle-royale interactive video because every trailer to date has featured the player as basically the sole point of interaction with the world. Frankly I don't think they have the tech sophistication to show multiplayer interaction on any kind of scale without, just for example, the wheel flying off their tank when it touches a ramp. Even in a bullshit prerendered video.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
YouTube: Hercu-PLEASE Be Joking....
"because of this I think my wallet is loving closed now. In fact I think I don't think I'm gonna be buying anything anymore this is complete bullshit"

"things like this are nothing short of shady is gently caress"

"I even shot an email to support because this is complete bullshit I'm about to refund about $600 worth of ships so I can buy the goddamn ship that I want"

"I am so upset and I really think I'm going to start refunding some things to get some money out because this is not right"

Goons can't compete with CIG's griefing :negative:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sarsapariller posted:

just for example, the wheel flying off their tank when it touches a ramp.

This is something that I should try to remember on Mondays, and in days when I'm in a bad mood in general.

That sequence was pure gold.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hobold posted:

That is even dumber than what I saw on UD.

Reminder that the same people who use the term "soy boy" are also probably trying to chug glasses full of onion juice to increase their testosterone at home

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this world has completely broken my ability to tell satire/trolling from actual posts anymore

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Pay check CiG promotion materials must have arrived

https://www.twitch.tv/badnewsbaron

e: actually, in fairness he has just called them out "on bullshit"

his nibs fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 7, 2018

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
he's being pretty drat hard on them right now, actually. like goddamn "I don't have trust in them to do the right thing" lol

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

he's being pretty drat hard on them right now, actually. like goddamn "I don't have trust in them to do the right thing" lol

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/258713779?t=01h34m51s

:ohdear:

#notacult

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: GamerMax theorycrafts his way to crazytown (and prompts me to do the same)

I came for the Hercules analysis. I stayed for the Trump tangents, History butchering, confusion between ton and kiloton, and the cackling powermad fantasies of destroying whole ‘cities worth of outposts’ with his (non)nuclear-level MOABs.

PROTECTION RACKET REDUX

It did occur to me somewhere along GamerMax’s descent into his Archvillainy dreams, to wonder if the Hercules with its bombing mechanics and ground-facing turret system was specifically conceived by Chris to heighten player anxieties about the vulnerabilities of their future player outposts and thus hasten their purchases of his UEE Protection Racket scheme via Land Beacons.

So I went and rewatched Chris & Haddock’s riveting discussion of the gameplay vision (are you ready for interstellar bureaucratic busywork in a space sim that put Monocles in before Mining because hot drat it’s coming and I can hear the screetching of red tape and thumping of rubber stamps already! Thank you for saving PC Gaming, Guys!)

Recall how Chris laid out the vision for outposts and homesteads in discussions. And how, for those excited about the possibilities of finding their own place to call home, he quickly conjured up the threat of “some rear end in a top hat” destroying that very special place you’d gone out and found and decided to call home. Be it ever so humble, there’s no place like it, but that’s why you need the peace of mind that comes from the UEE Protection (Racket) Chris is selling with Land Beacons.

It does not seem to me a very far leap at all to imagine that no sooner had Chris settled on this revelatory new gameplay idea (living in terror of the destruction of your homestead) than he quickly focused on conceiving the ship that would bring the very terrors you need security from. The Hercules, this MOAB carrying monster with ground-facing turrets, is intended to destroy things below it. (And, as Erris posits, also possibly carpetbomb Idrises in space.)

GamerMax’s cackling powermad fantasies suggest how appealing these visions of epic trolling can be to space nerd griefers. (As if Goons didn’t instinctly understand them.)

I think it’s time to ask whether Chris was engineering both disease and cure at the very same time, and all of it with the intent to sell even more Ships, Land, Outposts and Protection Schemes all at once in his space game without star systems, salvage, aliens or FPS AI.

TheAgent already pointed in this direction with his speculations about what THING Chris planned to whip out and dazzle the crowds with at this year’s CitizenCon. Erin Roberts also pointed in this direction in his BoredGamer interview, when he excitedly yammered about how Land Claims and related mechanics were one of the things he was most excited about for 2018 and so on and so forth...

So, there’s a theorycraft on the Meta of the Hercules. Chris has already offered you a foothold into your new planetary dollhouse and an insurance policy against threats. But just in case you didn’t get the memo or take it seriously enough, he’s cooked up a little something something made specifically for trolling those with pleyer-owned outposts, and he’s got a few good men like GamerMax already cackling with delight and the kind of miseries they can inflict on homesteaders from their new death from above spaceships.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 7, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

Let's not forget what may be the best soy boy-related post on the internet:

There's also a confusion/conflation with the amount of complex chemicals that are making it into the water supply, particularly on outflow, and these are changing the normal hormonal makeup of river and brackish life. We don't have a mechanism for 'cleaning' water of such complex molecules, so there's a bit of a problem with people just dumping drugs down the drain as well as the normal function of the kidneys filtering out the nasties.

Of course, in these modern times we have an Environmental Protection Agency that is charged with protecting the makeup of the waterways and ensuring that they don't become as dead and toxic as they started to around forty years ago.

Virtual Captain posted:

Even better, with this _vast influx_ of new goons (as they've been positively identified as 'the enemy' rather than disgruntled members of the 'team'), our gay comedy can reach new heights of non-deadness.

More seriously, the shunning of the unclean message is extremely common in arenas that rely on _faith_ rather than _evidence_, because the meme itself seeks to protect itself. I'm using 'Meme' in the classic Dawkins sense of an attractive and self-evangelising concept or idea. To the 'believer', the truth has to be protected against competing and equally weighted ideas based upon different items of faith, even casting items that can be tested AS items of faith.

Most faiths have a method of excommunication to enforce a level of behavior or a required level of _belief_ - And it's important to note here that those things are largely arbitrary because _faith cannot be measured_.

AbstractNapper posted:

This is something that I should try to remember on Mondays, and in days when I'm in a bad mood in general.

That sequence was pure gold.

I still enjoy the shoulder-mounted railgun apparently being able to take out a starship, which seems like a horrible balance idea.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

this world has completely broken my ability to tell satire/trolling from actual posts anymore

It's absolutely amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkMUU9tUqk

#nottimanderic

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
I tried a recipe for a keto pizza. Omg is it good a filling:

Dough made from whey protein powder, Parmesan, mozzarella, and cream cheese. Toppings I had were pepperoni, sliced turkey, shredded pork, grated cheddar and mozzarella cheese with Walden farms zero calorie chipotle ranch mixed with franks red hot buffalo as the sauce. 8 serving pizza with net 12 g of carbs, which is incredible for a pizza.

Recipe:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/sullivans-kedough-pizza/servings/8

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Beet Wagon posted:

Reminder that the same people who use the term "soy boy" are also probably trying to chug glasses full of onion juice to increase their testosterone at home

I hope it's a troll. It'd be the best troll ever.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
jesus christ this ch11rch guy is absolutely loving nailing sqautty potty advertising on SC goddamn

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

EightAce posted:

Hilarious new glass door review .

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

I'm disappointed he didn't look further into that "circle of life" infographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Virtual Captain posted:

Commando u/aKegofAle explains:

„CiG has like 475 employees, they need that constant revenue stream or the company will just go under.

If CR was loving off with your money in the Maldives I would understand your sentiment, but you can look at any of the easily accessible information on staffing to see that this is not the case, and you can look at any ATV to see that the game is progressing steadily, and exponentially.“