Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Junkenstein posted:

I really liked the first Harmony Black, it was a good X Files esque creepy mystery. Then the next one was a good X Files esque sci-fi romp through woods with weird creature experiments and satellites, which was cool. But then the last two really doubled down on the whole conspiracy stuff and it kinda lost me.
Same here. I still read the series, but Glass Predator was really bad and Cold Spectrum is pretty underwhelming. Here's hoping he gets back to the level of the first two books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I am reading Good Guys by Steven Brust, because somewhere in this thread someone recommended it.

I am on page 43 and I am already ridiculously sick of seeing people say PO-lice. loving stop already.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Beachcomber posted:

I am reading Good Guys by Steven Brust, because somewhere in this thread someone recommended it.

I am on page 43 and I am already ridiculously sick of seeing people say PO-lice. loving stop already.

It's just that one dude. He doesn't stop.

Good Guys was okay. That one guy has a few weird verbal tics, and the plot is kinda pedestrian. Honestly it kinda reminded me of the first couple Harmony Black books in quality.

It's probably the worst Brust book I've read, but not any worse than most of the UF genre.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Beachcomber posted:

Thankfully it does stop near the end... That drove me insane as well.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I just finished the Rook off of this thread's recommendation, and it was good as hell! I'm grabbing Stiletto soon and goin' through that, I think.

I did find out that apparently Starz has an adaptation of it coming out this year by the folks that did the Night Manager (and, uh, also Stephanie Meyer). That'd be neat; as I was reading through I was thinking to myself that this would make a pretty solid miniseries!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Teddybear posted:

I just finished the Rook off of this thread's recommendation, and it was good as hell! I'm grabbing Stiletto soon and goin' through that, I think.

I did find out that apparently Starz has an adaptation of it coming out this year by the folks that did the Night Manager (and, uh, also Stephanie Meyer). That'd be neat; as I was reading through I was thinking to myself that this would make a pretty solid miniseries!

Stiletto was less fun for me because it doesn稚 have the framing story of New Myffany/Old Myfanny, but some people hated that part anyway. It was still decent and I値l read another one if he writes one.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

navyjack posted:

Stiletto was less fun for me because it doesn稚 have the framing story of New Myffany/Old Myfanny, but some people hated that part anyway. It was still decent and I値l read another one if he writes one.

The only thing I didn't quite like was the rather clunky introduction of her sister, essentially to be someone that allows Thomas to be coerced.

Also, the fact that the main character has an unusual-even-for-Welsh-names name and that, having just read the book, I cannot remember for the life of me how it's properly pronounced. That just seems like being unnecessarily fancy.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

navyjack posted:

The part that annoyed me was the title; he should have called it The Pawn, both continuing the chess metaphor, describing the main characters' rank in the organization, and also maintaining that whole you are a tool of the organization feel.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

darthbob88 posted:

The part that annoyed me was the title; he should have called it The Pawn, both continuing the chess metaphor, describing the main characters' rank in the organization, and also maintaining that whole you are a tool of the organization feel.

I assume he didn't want to lock the entire series into a chess term naming scheme.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Teddybear posted:

Paula Patton has been cast in it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Paula Patton has been cast in it.

As the CIA chick, I assume?

EDIT: "I知 playing a villain and I知 excited about that," Ah okay.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Megazver posted:

As the CIA chick, I assume?

EDIT: "I知 playing a villain and I知 excited about that," Ah okay.

Maybe one of Gestalt, then?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Teddybear posted:

Maybe one of Gestalt, then?

If they're expanding the book into a series, they might come up with more villains.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Megazver posted:

If they're expanding the book into a series, they might come up with more villains.

Well, true. I was thinking, since it's Starz, that it'd be more mini-series, mirroring the first novel's plot more or less. It seems about right for that sort of thing.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Megazver posted:

Heck, you have 4 Gestalts, 2 Grafs, Prostitute-Eating Grafter, traitorous guy in Bath...lotsa villains already

Edit: And sex Bishop

navyjack fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 5, 2018

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I hope they keep the faintly comic tone of the book. If they make it dead serious then it's gonna be a rough one.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Teddybear posted:

The only thing I didn't quite like was the rather clunky introduction of her sister, essentially to be someone that allows Thomas to be coerced.

That bugged me, too.

Teddybear posted:

Also, the fact that the main character has an unusual-even-for-Welsh-names name and that, having just read the book, I cannot remember for the life of me how it's properly pronounced. That just seems like being unnecessarily fancy.

Ok, it's not that uncommon. Even here in the USA I've seen it before that book.
And, if I'm remembering right, it's pronounced MI-fa-nee, like Tiffany but with an M. It's really easy. I believe she even describes it like this in the first book in a letter to herself.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That's not the proper pronounciation though, and she even says something about not embracing the traditional pronounciation or something.

IIRC, the proper pronounciation is something like 'muh-VAHN-oo-ee'

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

It might be because I read The Rook and listened to Stiletto, but I actually found the second one much more entertaining. The narrator nails the performance in a way so few do (I知 looking at you, dude that narrates Alex Verus), and her teenage boy voice is hilarious every time.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's muh-van-oo-ee, but that oo-ee is one syllable. Can't really think of a way to type it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Khizan posted:

That's not the proper pronounciation though, and she even says something about not embracing the traditional pronounciation or something.

IIRC, the proper pronounciation is something like 'muh-VAHN-oo-ee'

I don't have the book in front of me, but she does say she pronounces it like "Tiffany", and that she knows it's incorrect.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Junkenstein posted:

It's muh-van-oo-ee, but that oo-ee is one syllable. Can't really think of a way to type it.

Sounds like Muh-van-way to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s885Ek2T85M&t=24s

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I really like Stiletto with the exception of the Myfawny POVs, they felt extraneous, and she actually worked better from the eyes of the other two characters. Also the ending dragged on for one battle too long. Other than that it's a really good follow up.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

OptimusWang posted:

The narrator nails the performance in a way so few do (I’m looking at you, dude that narrates Alex Verus)

Oh good, I'm not alone in thinking this - I tried listening to the first Verus audiobook on a roadtrip and the narrator is just so ... flat. Perhaps it had something to do with the last audiobook I listened to being Fry narrating Harry Potter, but the Verus guy just reads the text rather than narrating a story. Do the later books get any better?

Switched to Maersters (sp?) narrating Dresden and it's much better.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I don't mind Verus' narrator. He isn't always great, especially when Verus breaks down, but I always thought his dry and somewhat detached manner of speech matched Verus' character/internal monologue. There's definitely a different kind of energy and tone when he's speaking for say, Vari, or Caldera.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I do enjoy Marsters' voice work, even if it took until Death Masks for them to check how certain names are pronounced - Sumner Knight scenes featuring 'Mav' instead of Maeve, etc

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Illuyankas posted:

I do enjoy Marsters' voice work, even if it took until Death Masks for them to check how certain names are pronounced - Sumner Knight scenes featuring 'Mav' instead of Maeve, etc

That's not as bad as the narrator for the October Daye series who, eleven loving books into the series, still hasn't learned how to pronounce "geas" correctly.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's not as bad as the narrator for the October Daye series who, eleven loving books into the series, still hasn't learned how to pronounce "geas" correctly.

Isn't that Mary Robinette Kowal? I'm surprised she doesn't know how to pronounce geas

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Exmond posted:

Isn't that Mary Robinette Kowal? I'm surprised she doesn't know how to pronounce geas

I just checked, and she actually gets it right in the latest books. But early on? Gay-rear end.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I just checked, and she actually gets it right in the latest books. But early on? Gay-rear end.

You absolutely do not want someone to put their gay-rear end on you if you're not ready.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

That reminds me, I知 listening to the new Stephen r Donaldson book, and listening to the narrator take his best shot at pronouncing random obscure words is practically a drinking game.

Sure, he got anodyne, but will he get wastrel? Durance? Anile?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Donaldson is still making books? That's unfortunate.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The one saving grace of the Iron Druid books is that the narrator for the audiobooks actually puts effort into correct pronunciations for every language present in those books.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The one saving grace of the Iron Druid books is that the narrator for the audiobooks actually puts effort into correct pronunciations for every language present in those books.

Yeah, the author cared about it enough to put in Pronunciation Guides at the start of each book.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm about 5 chapters into the first Iron Druid book and so far it's...not good. Like, all the worst parts of Dresden without the same level of charm. Does it start slow, or is this basically what I'm in for the whole time. Because if so, I'll probably bail.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

No, they're pretty loving terrible.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

I'm about 5 chapters into the first Iron Druid book and so far it's...not good. Like, all the worst parts of Dresden without the same level of charm. Does it start slow, or is this basically what I'm in for the whole time. Because if so, I'll probably bail.
Would you believe me if I said it gets worse?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ha, okay, I'm out. Thanks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Megazver posted:

Yeah, the author cared about it enough to put in Pronunciation Guides at the start of each book.

The Pronunciation Guides are the most compelling parts of the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I feel like Iron Druid is a really fun idea, filtered through a Reddit thread and then rinsed liberally with sewage.