Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sometimes it does weird me out that one of Sony's most "iconic characters" is just some dude in jeans and a t-shirt
Come on, he has a cool frog hat and a microphone too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sometimes it does weird me out that one of Sony's most "iconic characters" is just some dude in jeans and a t-shirt

wait until you find out about mario, the overall boy

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

PS AllStars couldn't get Cloud but Smash Bros did, that's funny

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm surprised how much Gears of War leans into horror. The sequence where you get instakilled any time you step into darkness and have to create light to progress was really smart and going through the factory was also pretty tense.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They gave Crash a t-shirt!?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rarity posted:

I'm surprised how much Gears of War leans into horror. The sequence where you get instakilled any time you step into darkness and have to create light to progress was really smart and going through the factory was also pretty tense.

The original one when it came out was definitely something special. Then it got Halo’d into pointlessness with the sequels.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dewgy posted:

The original one when it came out was definitely something special. Then it got Halo’d into pointlessness with the sequels.

Well that and it's gameplay becoming the de facto standard for nearly all 3rd person shooters.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoyed that one of the signs that PlayStation technology had advanced was that they were able to switch from a T-shirt to a Henley once they could render the individual buttons

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sony's iconic character, Big Daddy

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

The Colonel posted:

sony's iconic character, Big Daddy

Technically his name is Kratos.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope that for playstation all-stars 2, sony remembers their most important icon, who's been there for them all of these years but always forgotten

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Saint Freak posted:

Technically his name is John.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Help Im Alive posted:

That's kind of crazy the only two women characters they could think of were Fat Princess and whatever her name was from Heavenly Sword

A crossover fighter is the perfect type of game for a character like...y'know the main character from Primal for PS2?

What was her name? Jen Tate. It was Jen Tate.

Like how the last Sega crossover racing game should have had the main character from Condemned.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Tbf the original Smash Bros only had Samus, though possibly Pikachu and Jigglypuff

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Tbf the original Smash Bros only had Samus, though possibly Pikachu and Jigglypuff

Now we have 30 fire emblem reps :(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

And still none of them are Lyn.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Help Im Alive posted:

That's kind of crazy the only two women characters they could think of were Fat Princess and whatever her name was from Heavenly Sword

At least there are plenty of nice ladies from Bloodborne they could add next time. Want 2 see Ebrietas hopping around on platforms like Mario.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

chumbler posted:

And still none of them are Lyn.
That reminds me of how Project M was going to have Lyn and its a shame the people behind it never got around to finishing her.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There are like five Lyns in Fire Emblem Heroes, Nintendo knows she's popular with FE fans now and is very likely in smash 5 if they're at all interested in adding an older FE character to the roster

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mByDcrNSV0

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

#BringBackUlala

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

#BringBackUlala
if you insist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq90FPMoR7M

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I actually would like a weird Smash-like with all the weird Sony and Sega mascots throughout the ages, I think with all the contrast you could make something really weird. I’m honestly a bit tired of Smash’s roster on 3DS, having only played that one Melee and the N64 one.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hmm...nevermind

i'll play her if they make another sega racing game

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/993566133423820800

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I know it's good that people can learn valuable life lessons from video games, but that headline makes me fear a bit for the kid.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's a good game, it doesn't deserve games journalists doing this to it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I mean, if the new God of War is about how Kratos is a complete and total wreck as a parent with anger issues and constantly shows what not to do, I could see learning something from it.

I highly doubt that is the case though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My favorite one of those was the one about getting the worst ending in Witcher 3 because he was a bad dad.

It was actually a good article because it revealed the subtleties of the game's storytelling.

gently caress, now I am thinking about how I still haven't gotten around to the DLC

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
God of War taught me that if a stranger knocks on my door, I should have my son hide in the basement while we beat the poo poo out of each other

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The real story of God of War that goes largely unspoken is Kratos learning to cope with the shame of his past and maturing as a man to sort out what to pass along to his son and come to terms with what he’s done. A large part of their relationship is stopping toxic masculinity from taking over his son, I don’t see how this is that offensive to point out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's very sad when games with some kind of thematic arc manage to completely break games journalists' brains

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

al-azad posted:

this is good lit

i never thought about this but micro/zero grav "jiggle physics" (and not just women's boobmeat) must be insanely distracting IRL

like now that I think about it that would be the number one thing to drive me insane if I ever had to deal

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dad articles about dad games, learning the shocking revelation of parenting.

Jokes aside though, dismantling the patriarchy and toxic masculinity is good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean, if the new God of War is about how Kratos is a complete and total wreck as a parent with anger issues and constantly shows what not to do, I could see learning something from it.

I highly doubt that is the case though.

It's not exactly Death of a Salesman but the new God of War does show Kratos struggle to be a good parent in such a way that by the end of the game you're actually rooting for him to succeed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah and Melee added only 2 and a half more. It's really more that games when they reach back don't have many female leads to draw from and only really fill that part out when they start feeling okay putting in side or more obscure characters.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God of War is actually a moms are tough game

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Taintrunner posted:

The real story of God of War that goes largely unspoken is Kratos learning to cope with the shame of his past and maturing as a man to sort out what to pass along to his son and come to terms with what he’s done. A large part of their relationship is stopping toxic masculinity from taking over his son, I don’t see how this is that offensive to point out.

Kratos is such an unredeemable shithead that its offensive to act like he can be redeemed though.

This is the guy that killed millions of civilians and then killed those civilians again in hell all because he was really angry. The entire premise of the game is dumb as gently caress.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

It's very sad when games with some kind of thematic arc manage to completely break games journalists' brains

Because they are not real journalists. These opinion pieces are just brain stormed in a team meeting room and handed out randomly to their writers and they are told to try their best to write some words. It's pure clickbait for views that in turn generate revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Kratos is such an unredeemable shithead that its offensive to act like he can be redeemed though.

This is the guy that killed millions of civilians and then killed those civilians again in hell all because he was really angry. The entire premise of the game is dumb as gently caress.

He feels real bad about it

• Locked thread