Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Zuul the Cat posted:

It’s mostly the face. Turn them around and they look pretty cool. Here’s mine.

I’ve also found that the normal face looks great if you do a bit of OSL and make it look really bright.

That's such a dramatic improvement, it's kind of insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I might finally be getting around to assembling my AdMech army. Since we’ve recently been discussing Kastelans, how effective has dropping a unit in via Clandestine Infiltration and slamming Binarric Override in the first phase to shoot twice proven? Even with a minimum unit I figure 4d6 Incendine Combustor hits and 24 Heavy Phosphor shots into something would put be a good opener/distraction.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Pendent posted:

Pull up thread, pull up.

*WOOP WOOP* WARNING TERRAIN *WOOP WOOP*

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The goofy 50's robot look is exactly why I love the Kastelan models. The codex even encourages you to paint them up in whatever unique, bright color schemes you want since it talks about how sometimes random Kastelans just show up for a fight and then gently caress back off to wherever they came from.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

I’ve also found that the normal face looks great if you do a bit of OSL and make it look really bright.

Im absolutely planning on doing this with my pair of punch-card machines.

As an aside, what kind of trim and iconography on do people do for their skitarii troops? I've done a macragge blue stripe down the left side of the chest but I'm fighting my completionist side over whether to do white lining on the coats.

Also regarding the badcast and SRM being bad at pronunciation its shake because thats why it was so funny that the saudi treasurer was sheik yamani.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Wargame Exclusive ( I know, I know) do a pretty cool alternate Kastellan head:

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
You can make pretty great bots just snagging the kastelan limbs off a bits site and putting them on other torsos. Cost is probably the same though.

Kastelan from a contemptor dread and assorted bits:

Kastelan from a Dark Eldar Talos Pain Engine:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The goofy 50's robot look is exactly why I love the Kastelan models. The codex even encourages you to paint them up in whatever unique, bright color schemes you want since it talks about how sometimes random Kastelans just show up for a fight and then gently caress back off to wherever they came from.

If I played Admech I'd paint the Kastelans silver and make "Danger Will Robinson" noises until my opponent glared at me.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

I might finally be getting around to assembling my AdMech army. Since we’ve recently been discussing Kastelans, how effective has dropping a unit in via Clandestine Infiltration and slamming Binarric Override in the first phase to shoot twice proven? Even with a minimum unit I figure 4d6 Incendine Combustor hits and 24 Heavy Phosphor shots into something would put be a good opener/distraction.

I've done it once and it worked amazing. Dropped in a unit of 4, all of them with triple heavy phosphor blasters. I find it best to do it when hitting the enemy lines from both sides, that way they have to choose what to shoot/engage.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Corrode posted:

They're my favourite thing in the Ad Mech range next to Cawl, but they do look out of place is all I'm saying

Got the Succubus done too, with her freshly pinned archite glaive:

e: Can anyone remember how Sisters of Battle worked in 5th edition? Was it a WD list?

Owns.

Also I played around with the beer sheet for wych stuff. Reavers are better ppw against hordes and marines, hellions are better against vehicles. They both effectively start at S4 (Reavers get -AP Hellions get D2).. What made you choose a bomb of 20 hellions over a bomb of reavers? Do you regularly face mutli wound and/or T5 enemies?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DancingShade posted:

If I played Admech I'd paint the Kastelans silver and make "Danger Will Robinson" noises until my opponent glared at me.

I'm planning a Mars Admech squad in a dark burgundy color but I'm pretty sure my Kastelans are going to be like bright yellow and silver and green.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Badablack posted:

You can make pretty great bots just snagging the kastelan limbs off a bits site and putting them on other torsos. Cost is probably the same though.

Kastelan from a contemptor dread and assorted bits:

Kastelan from a Dark Eldar Talos Pain Engine:

Both are good but the Talos Kastelan is super :krad:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Zuul the Cat posted:

I've done it once and it worked amazing. Dropped in a unit of 4, all of them with triple heavy phosphor blasters. I find it best to do it when hitting the enemy lines from both sides, that way they have to choose what to shoot/engage.

I might bulk the unit to four, yeah. I figured the flamers would be an incredible assault deterrant. Four Kastelans would be 8d6 S5 AP-1 autohits. :pwn:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How long does it take you guys to assemble 1 Marine?

It takes me about an hour per marine in average, between finding the bits in the collection of sprues, filing mold lines, dropping and finding bits on the floor, and actually gluing it.

I feel like that's really slow, just curious what everyone else spends on assembly.

I also usually have Netflix on and occasionally get distracted watching whatever it is, but typically I'm just watching something I've already seen so it's more just background noise.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 7, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Owns.

Also I played around with the beer sheet for wych stuff. Reavers are better ppw against hordes and marines, hellions are better against vehicles. They both effectively start at S4 (Reavers get -AP Hellions get D2).. What made you choose a bomb of 20 hellions over a bomb of reavers? Do you regularly face mutli wound and/or T5 enemies?

Plaguebearers. The best way through Disgustingly Resilient is D2.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Sab669 posted:

It takes me about an hour per marine in average, between finding the bits in the collection of sprues, filing mold lines, dropping and finding bits on the floor, and actually gluing it.

I feel like that's really slow, just curious what everyone else spends on assembly.

I also usually have Netflix on and occasionally get distracted watching whatever it is, but typically I'm just watching something I've already seen so it's more just background noise.
It varies heavily depending on the model type and origin. Snapfits/starter box models like Dark Imperium take a very short amount of time, clipping, scraping mold lines, etc. Actual model kits with separate parts add in decision time for assemble, posing, and equipment loadout. Assembling models from a pile of bitz I have stored in seven different boxes in my garage and closet upstairs is a whole other ballgame.

Marine assembly time:
Snapfits/starter models: 3-5 minutes each
Regular models: 5-7 minutes each
Why did I decide to do this models: 5-7 minutes each + 60-120 minutes of pouring over piles of sprues

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sab669 posted:

I average approximately one hour per Primaris model for model prep. That's removing them from sprues, gluing subassemblies, filing mold lines, and gluing the subassemblies to sprues for painting.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Wargame Exclusive ( I know, I know) do a pretty cool alternate Kastellan head:

This tortured brain and nervous system stuffed into a murderous war-chassis once belonged to a woman why doesn't it have robo-tits?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

This tortured brain and nervous system stuffed into a murderous war-chassis once belonged to a woman why doesn't it have robo-tits?

A cogent question, surely. :thunk:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Because that isn't a servitor, it's a robot. :colbert:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

PierreTheMime posted:

It varies heavily depending on the model type and origin. Snapfits/starter box models like Dark Imperium take a very short amount of time, clipping, scraping mold lines, etc. Actual model kits with separate parts add in decision time for assemble, posing, and equipment loadout. Assembling models from a pile of bitz I have stored in seven different boxes in my garage and closet upstairs is a whole other ballgame.

Marine assembly time:
Snapfits/starter models: 3-5 minutes each
Regular models: 5-7 minutes each
Why did I decide to do this models: 5-7 minutes each + 60-120 minutes of pouring over piles of sprues

How in the world do you remove mold lines that quickly

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Safety Factor posted:

Because that isn't a servitor, it's a robot. :colbert:

I appreciate that the justification for this used to be that they had a Datasmith around to monitor them and control them with punchcards. Now that Cawl is large and in charge they're just left to roam around, mowing down meatbags.

Space marine bodies are relatively smooth and easy to access, unlike a lot of other factions. I gently but firmly scrape away from me using an Xacto knife and check all bits before proceeding. There's the occasionally time I need to spot-check a boltgun or something where I missed some line in between ridges, but for the vast majority of the model it doesn't take long at all.

I do not watch television (I typically listen to music or local NPR) but it really doesn't take me that long to do. :shrug:

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 7, 2018

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The GW mold line remover is shockingly quite a lot better to use compared to a knife, and much less likely to gouge out detail.

Also if you use a pure solvent to glue your plastics (dichloromethane/tricholoromethane/Plastic-Weld) then you can brush it onto some mold lines to melt them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Z the IVth posted:

The GW mold line remover is shockingly quite a lot better to use compared to a knife, and much less likely to gouge out detail.

Also if you use a pure solvent to glue your plastics (dichloromethane/tricholoromethane/Plastic-Weld) then you can brush it onto some mold lines to melt them.

If you scrape the edge of the knife backwards along the mold line it has the same effect as the mold line remover, plus you can still have an edge to cut out errant pieces like poorly cut sprues.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

I appreciate that the justification for this used to be that they had a Datasmith around to monitor them and control them with punchcards. Now that Cawl is large and in charge they're just left to roam around, mowing down meatbags.

Space marine bodies are relatively smooth and easy to access, unlike a lot of other factions. I gently but firmly scrape away from me using an Xacto knife and check all bits before proceeding. There's the occasionally time I need to spot-check a boltgun or something where I missed some line in between ridges, but for the vast majority of the model it doesn't take long at all.

I do not watch television (I typically listen to music or local NPR) but it really doesn't take me that long to do. :shrug:

Space Marine bodies are a breeze to clean after messing with tyranids and eldar and stuff.

Edit: the citadel tool is nice for large areas but it sucks for all the small details that get lines on them so I usually just use the back of my knife. The back of the knife does get dull though, the citadel tool doesn't.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I have a Squadron seam scraper that works pretty well.

https://www.amazon.com/Squadron-Products-SQ10203-Seam-Scraper/dp/B000GKWE1M

I think I must just be really really slow.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

The real power is using the Mars Forgeworld, parking Cawl next to them, and slamming 18 heavy phosphor shots into everything and rerolling. Using the Wrath of Mars strategem gets you mortal wounds on your rolls 6+.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Cawl is the only one who can repair any Imperial unit or vehicle, right?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

EvilBeard posted:

The real power is using the Mars Forgeworld, parking Cawl next to them, and slamming 18 heavy phosphor shots into everything and rerolling. Using the Wrath of Mars strategem gets you mortal wounds on your rolls 6+.

It is a pretty pro option, but I'm thinking of skipping Mars completely and sticking with Stygies. Funnily enough just like Kraken I liked them before their faction bonus and stratagem was bonkers good. Dropping units into enemy lines first turn with a -1 to hit >12" and popping Shroudpsalm for the 2+ save on Monsters seems pretty good. I'll take the hit on damage output for the initial disruption and fun/headache they'll cause. I plan on sticking with cheap HQs (Engineseers) primarily with maybe a Dominus or two depending on the point level.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Cawl is the only one who can repair any Imperial unit or vehicle, right?

All the Admech HQs can repair AdMech vehicles d3 and a friendly vehicle 1.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Zuul the Cat posted:

Better yet make the dome clear and have a skull inside it.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

PierreTheMime posted:

It is a pretty pro option, but I'm thinking of skipping Mars completely and sticking with Stygies. Funnily enough just like Kraken I liked them before their faction bonus and stratagem was bonkers good. Dropping units into enemy lines first turn with a -1 to hit >12" and popping Shroudpsalm for the 2+ save on Monsters seems pretty good. I'll take the hit on damage output for the initial disruption and fun/headache they'll cause. I plan on sticking with cheap HQs (Engineseers) primarily with maybe a Dominus or two depending on the point level.

If I was going to go Stygies and drop units in, I'd go with Electro-priests to tie stuff up. Shooting stuff with robots can pretty much be done from anywhere, but surprise Electro-priests are a fun time.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Because it was the cool thing to do like a week ago, I'm crossposting my Necromunda gang:

I was recently at a hamslam weekend with TheSexCannon, Buffalochicken, and a bunch of other hammy pals, and I was humbly reminded I need to up my photo game once someone else took pictures of my Goliaths:

It turns out a good camera on a good phone with good lighting takes better pictures than my potato phone and super warm bulbs! Who knew?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

You guys are making me want to convert some of those robots into ork... somethings.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

EvilBeard posted:

If I was going to go Stygies and drop units in, I'd go with Electro-priests to tie stuff up. Shooting stuff with robots can pretty much be done from anywhere, but surprise Electro-priests are a fun time.

I was thinking about it, but the actual model cost is pretty prohibitive for a large unit and at T3 5++ they're going to melt if they don't get into combat quickly. The reposition gives the surprise firebase potentially an advantageous line of firing to characters or other units behind solid cover I wouldn't already have.

Electro-priests and Dragoons are a great idea (and I love the Dragoon models) but my wallet won't support that right now.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
The MWG guys got their hands on the deathwatch codex and did a first impressions

Points drops on the tac marines, termies and bikes, as well as a couple of the special weapons (including the DW frag cannon!). Point increases of approx 1pt on most boltguns, but it still works out cheaper than before with the model discounts.

Storm bolters now get special ammunition which makes termie squads pretty sweet.

The big winner, as they discuss towards the end are the bikes, 9 point drop per model and expanded weapon selection on the sergeant, chainswords on everyone and a stormbolter on him gives you 18 cc attacks and 8 rapid fire special ammo shots for less than 100 points on a fast and tough squad which is pretty good!

Tiger Millionaire fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 7, 2018

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you scrape the edge of the knife backwards along the mold line it has the same effect as the mold line remover, plus you can still have an edge to cut out errant pieces like poorly cut sprues.

Used to do that but I still find the tool superior, particularly on curves as you reduce the risk of blunting the curve. It's just a good balance of sharp enough to scrape but not so sharp that control is lost.

On long flat straights I find the blade faster but for everything else I use the tool these days. I've found that you can carve down sprue nubs with the tool as well.

It's not a necessity by any stretch, but it's a great quality of life improver.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
As much as I want to get that remover, at ~$20 its hard to go for it. I found using a slightly dulled x-acto blade, scraping with it like you are buttering bread, does a fantastic job. Sharp blades tend to scratch the plastic or gouge I found.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Z the IVth posted:

Used to do that but I still find the tool superior, particularly on curves as you reduce the risk of blunting the curve. It's just a good balance of sharp enough to scrape but not so sharp that control is lost.

On long flat straights I find the blade faster but for everything else I use the tool these days. I've found that you can carve down sprue nubs with the tool as well.

It's not a necessity by any stretch, but it's a great quality of life improver.

I own one and love it. It's particularly great for travel, since you can bring a scraper, files, and a clipper on carry-on without any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How does CC in 40k work?

If I have a unit of 1,000 cultists and I charge, how is success measured?

Does x% of the models in my unit need to reach base to base?

If just 1 cultist gets into base do all 1,000 cultists get to attack?