Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

did yall see the trailer for that new robin hood movie?

You Yanks need to stop making them, they always turn out to be shite. Only good one is Men In Tights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

Turnpikes are roads. Usually actual prepared roads and not dirt tracks. Junctions are intersections. Observers don't participate, they just observe. There were observers on both sides, though, since you can always learn something from observing an actual campaign that you can't from a dry academy. There were American observers in the Crimean war, for example.

Are there any books out there about what foreign observers learned from the ACW?

Or even just their experiences on campaign with one side or another?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SeanBeansShako posted:

You Yanks need to stop making them, they always turn out to be shite. Only good one is Men In Tights.

False. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029843/

This is a good movie.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Fair enough, but that one is pretty much a classic that can't really be competed with. Modern Robin Hood movies suck.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Thats because unlike some Robin Hoods, he had a British accent.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

It might have helped to visit archives but she wrote it in 38, and you probably can't look at archives in a country that's going to war with yours. Such is life.

I don't see this being a problem in 1938 to be honest. It's not like 17th century military archives are a state secret any longer. The Nazis and the British Empire werent even avowed ideological enemies the way the Soviets were, something something Mitford sisters etc. Maaaaybe some kind of bullshit Nazi historical nationalism somehow but I'm not aware that the 30 Years' War was a big part of their ideology.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcGU8OUXCDE

:unsmith:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

I don't see this being a problem in 1938 to be honest. It's not like 17th century military archives are a state secret any longer. The Nazis and the British Empire werent even avowed ideological enemies the way the Soviets were, something something Mitford sisters etc. Maaaaybe some kind of bullshit Nazi historical nationalism somehow but I'm not aware that the 30 Years' War was a big part of their ideology.
Lord no, I meant when the balloon finally went up she could have been arrested or something

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

Lord no, I meant when the balloon finally went up she could have been arrested or something

Ahh true. Depends how forward looking she was but yeah I could see giving a research trip to Germany a miss around the time of the Sudeten crisis. Enemy nationals obviously get interned for the duration.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SeanBeansShako posted:

Fair enough, but that one is pretty much a classic that can't really be competed with. Modern Robin Hood movies suck.

It is kind of bizarre they haven't been able to produce a decent adaptation to the story since 1938.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Ahh true. Depends how forward looking she was but yeah I could see giving a research trip to Germany a miss around the time of the Sudeten crisis. Enemy nationals obviously get interned for the duration.
Or beaten to death by an angry mob, or harassed by the secret police, etc etc etc

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

WoodrowSkillson posted:

did yall see the trailer for that new robin hood movie?

"The intense annoyance of knowing something much better than pop culture blog"

wait they are making robin hood yet again

JFC

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

feedmegin posted:

Thats because unlike some Robin Hoods, he had a British accent.

He's Tasmanian

Also, as it turns out, a sociopath

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Nebakenezzer posted:

He's Tasmanian

wait, what?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/299-errol-flynn-live-in-brisbane-w-wil-anderson

I've no idea of what people think about the dollop podcast, but this one is :stonklol:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

I could be wrong in this but I also seem to recall wanting folding wings leading to narrower landing gear footprints on a lot of naval aircraft of that era.

Absolutely, which is why designs either went with the narrow landing gear or made the folding part after the wheel wells.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
lol at my new av.

MERCENARIES ARE USELESS. :saddowns:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:lol:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

re: the sack chat, which city has been conquered the most times?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

ChubbyChecker posted:

re: the sack chat, which city has been conquered the most times?

Palermo bills itself as such. (Link.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
are we counting conquered or destroyed? for instance Dresden was destroyed in war twice but when it was conquered in ww2 it was given up whole (as whole as possible under the circumstances)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Re: sack city chat - accepting that the answer changes from place to person to time: inbetween storming the walls and looting the city, there's presumably a phase where the defenders still have organised resistance and the critical locations in the city need to be seized.

What was the typical plan for a city assault post the wall-storming phase? Was the storming force just supposed to keep going, or was their job to seize a breach and hold it so the rest of the army could pass through and take control of the city?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

IIRC there were some Russian radar masts that would straight-up kill you if you were working on them when they were turned on.

Like most modern warships have radars that do this at full power.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Alchenar posted:

Re: sack city chat - accepting that the answer changes from place to person to time: inbetween storming the walls and looting the city, there's presumably a phase where the defenders still have organised resistance and the critical locations in the city need to be seized.

What was the typical plan for a city assault post the wall-storming phase? Was the storming force just supposed to keep going, or was their job to seize a breach and hold it so the rest of the army could pass through and take control of the city?
it is expected in this period that once they get in the officers will no longer be able to control their men. i have read about officers who tried being killed at the breach and the people who did it were not tried for it.

in some cases if there is a garrison inside that can hold out they get terms, in magdeburg a bunch of civilians holed up in the church lasted until tilly rode in and the surrender was made formal.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Stairmaster posted:

Like most modern warships have radars that do this at full power.

And a lot of terrestrial radio stations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Alchenar posted:

eg. mongols and some others had rules that said that you got the death penalty if you started looting before getting permission, but because they had a specific rule about that, it means that it did happen

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cessna posted:

Palermo bills itself as such. (Link.)

Makes sense, it's in the middle of the Med and near the northern and southern coasts.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

are we counting conquered or destroyed? for instance Dresden was destroyed in war twice but when it was conquered in ww2 it was given up whole (as whole as possible under the circumstances)

If we are counting destroyed, then it's Belgrade with over 40 times according to quick googling: http://www.ichbg.com/history-of-belgrade.html

And NY and LA are close http://gothamist.com/2014/03/19/new_york_city_has_been_destroyed_34.php

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

ChubbyChecker posted:

Makes sense, it's in the middle of the Med and near the northern and southern coasts.

I have no idea how accurate that is; for all I know there's somewhere in Belgium or China that qualifies.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

Yeah, but by that time Dresden was just a sweep-and-clear anyway.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

The first batch of American grenades is up for your viewing pleasure. No post about them would be complete without some details on the infamous "Pineapple" grenade. How much force is required to pull the pin on a Mk II Grenade? Do grenade fuzes have variable times? How long should the scattered pieces of a White Phosphorus grenade burn for? Why would a smoke grenade be built with 3 metal "folding" wings? All that and more at the blog!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

WW2 Data

The first batch of American grenades is up for your viewing pleasure. No post about them would be complete without some details on the infamous "Pineapple" grenade. How much force is required to pull the pin on a Mk II Grenade? Do grenade fuzes have variable times? How long should the scattered pieces of a White Phosphorus grenade burn for? Why would a smoke grenade be built with 3 metal "folding" wings? All that and more at the blog!

20 or 30 pounds? My teeth can totally handle that!

Alternate joke: "It's the same weight as an NYPD trigger!'

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Yeah, but by that time Dresden was just a sweep-and-clear anyway.
the difference between being taken by storm, and everything that happens after that, and being handed over in a negotiation is very relevant to the local civilians

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 8, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Trench_Rat posted:

Been reading a lot about the american civil war lately and what are junctions and turnpikes?

Besides what others have told you, it's important to remember that turnpike routes often were more direct shortcuts crossing terrain that the other roads took circuitous routes around.

For instance, in marshy areas, the regular roads which didn't have tolls on them would tend to follow the dry ground with minimal building of bridges or anything, as funding was low. The turnpike company however might spend a bunch of money building a good direct path through the marsh and the surrounding lands that flooded easily, piling up fill and paving with gravel and logs/planks to help distribute the loads to keep the path passable. In hilly areas, a turnpike company would be a lot more likely to have done cutting and filling to make it easier/more reliable to pass through ridges and such.

This has very massive implications for who gets to hold and use such roads and junctions between them and any other sort of road. Sometimes the alternative routes would be near-impassable for heavy military equipment such that the forces who couldn't use the turnpike road would have to go even farther out of the way between two points than those who simply wished to avoid a toll in peacetime did. You can really think of them as a lot like holding rail routes - indeed many turnpikes would have their paths and grading reused directly for rail later on, and I think in the civil war in particular a few had rails installed to help support particular military campaigns.

Outside American usage, turnpike type roads, including some outright called turnpikes, were known from ancient history. Britain of course had a ton in the past and American styles of building and tolling such roads derive directly from that, but they were also used widely on the continent for millennia (with, however, long stretches of time and place where they weren't used for various political reasons), and disputes as to who had rights to build and operate them could spark serious fighting.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

He's Tasmanian

Ummm I'm referring to/quoting Robin Hood: Men in Tights. This dude -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cary_Elwes

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

feedmegin posted:

The best Robin Hood film is axiomatically the one with Alan Rickman in it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

We found some documentation that my Aunt Betty had been typing up on our family tree. One of my great uncles (who's actually still alive) was drafted in 1946. During his initial inspection, they realized that they made a mistake and he was deferred as the head of household. When they tried to send him back, he refused because "the wheels are already in progress" and he figured that even if he went home they would probably just change the draft rules for the next war and bring him back anyway. They just kept him stateside throughout his service to minimize the chances of him being killed.

He ended up being right, since the Korean War was just a few years away.

You were more likely to be recalled for Korea if you were a veteran of WWII from what I've read. I know my grandfather was recalled, he did a tour on Guam as a Sea Bee, was awarded a commendation for bravery in combat, but got out of Korea since he worked for a defense contractor, GE, as a draftsman.

He said at the end of his tour the Navy offered him a lot of money to hang around on an island and watch some bomb tests. He turned them down because he wanted to go home and was pretty shaken after surviving all his friends/unit being blown up in a demolitions accident. Obviously ended up being for the best although he died of cancer.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

feedmegin posted:

Oops, my mistake.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cessna posted:

I have no idea how accurate that is; for all I know there's somewhere in Belgium or China that qualifies.

It probably has to be China or the Med because I think you need very long duration of continuous recorded human habitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

You were more likely to be recalled for Korea if you were a veteran of WWII from what I've read. I know my grandfather was recalled, he did a tour on Guam as a Sea Bee, was awarded a commendation for bravery in combat, but got out of Korea since he worked for a defense contractor, GE, as a draftsman.

He said at the end of his tour the Navy offered him a lot of money to hang around on an island and watch some bomb tests. He turned them down because he wanted to go home and was pretty shaken after surviving all his friends/unit being blown up in a demolitions accident. Obviously ended up being for the best although he died of cancer.

I think that was pretty common, at least in the Navy. My paternal grandfather was asked multiple times to stay on after the war, but he just wanted to go back to his small town and work on cars at the Ford dealership. Which he did into his 60s.