Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
what if that folk remedy for heat of putting an ice cube or soda can on your wrist, but with capitalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

for an extra 39.95 a month we’ll even run your blood through a handy external heat exchanger, returning 87% to your body at the optimal temperature and use the rest to train our ai to hunt and consume humans

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

lancemantis posted:

what if that folk remedy for heat of putting an ice cube or soda can on your wrist, but with capitalism?

is this:

“Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?”

what you were going for?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

syscall girl posted:

is this:

“Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?”

what you were going for?

it's a "what if x, but for y?" statement

what if there was airbnb, but for dogs?
what if blockchain, but for consent?
what if icecubes, but capitalism?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

what if there was goggles, but for dogs?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

in our time the VCs will become disenchanted, the tech bubble will shrivel, and gimmicky single-purpose doodads will become the 21st century version of "as seen on tv only $19.95" mail order products

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

strong future for doggles though, invest wisely

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Spime Wrangler posted:

for an extra 39.95 a month we’ll even run your blood through a handy external heat exchanger, returning 87% to your body at the optimal temperature and use the rest to train our ai to hunt and consume humans

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Spime Wrangler posted:

ToS amendment A: All account holders classified as "virile male" agree that 5% of their blood are reserved for future use by Peter Thiel.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hobbesmaster posted:

mbedtls is still quite active though, what did arm screw up?

not only is it active, it’s far easier to port to weird platforms like classic Mac OS than OpenSSL (and half of that is just that it doesn’t take days to build)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

#wow #whoa

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

Uber has determined that the likely cause of a fatal collision involving one of its prototype self-driving cars in Arizona in March was a problem with the software that decides how the car should react to objects it detects, according to two people briefed about the matter.
The car’s sensors detected the pedestrian, who was crossing the street with a bicycle, but Uber’s software decided it didn’t need to react right away. That’s a result of how the software was tuned.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

gently caress your life pedestrian or cyclist!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
replaced the ECON button with the SHGR button

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lancemantis posted:

wasn't this in the stupid Kickstarter thread

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
you’re thinking of a prior re-hash, iirc the last one was out of stanford and pretended the cofounder could do a million pull-ups

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

wasn't this in the stupid Kickstarter thread

I wouldn't be surprised

quote:

Founded at MIT. Backed by Bose Ventures and Intel Capital. Over 600% funded on Kickstarter.

also a great example of the complete meaninglessness of kickstarter and the continuing burring of the concept of investment and purchase

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

everybody in the thread who called the end result of 'autonomous' cars remote operators, congratulations: https://jalopnik.com/how-this-driverless-car-startup-can-test-in-california-1825659965

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PCjr sidecar posted:

everybody in the thread who called the end result of 'autonomous' cars remote operators, congratulations: https://jalopnik.com/how-this-driverless-car-startup-can-test-in-california-1825659965

man oh man

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

this is still super, super dumb

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PCjr sidecar posted:

hell yes now they can pass on the liability of deaths and damages to even more poor people

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

PCjr sidecar posted:

:confuoot:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Your connection to the server has timed out.

Would you like to submit a crash report?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PCjr sidecar posted:

i'm the sociopathic rules lawyering that will end up killing someone

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

TerminalRaptor posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

HERZOG: This man was born with a sickness of the soul.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TerminalRaptor posted:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
kind of crossposting but also because tech-adjacent and Los Altos as hell:

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/gear-tech/strava-speeds-help-mountain-bikers-get-banned-from-california-park

quote:

According to the Los Altos Town Crier, the city of Los Altos Hills, which sits adjacent to Silicon Valley, finalized a proposed ban on mountain bikers at a city park this winter after Strava speeds of area riders topping 20 miles per hour – speeds one council member called "just incredibly unacceptable" – were found recorded in the town's Byrne Preserve.

Some of the local hikers and horseback riders began registering complaints about bikers' speed in the Preserve and on the steep Artemas Gintzon trail in particular, and were vocal about concerns that young riders could suffer injury if their horses got spooked by a biker coming around a blind corner.

After no public comment was made in opposition to the proposed ban, the town council adopted the biker ban in the Preserve's trails. They stated that their decision was notably influenced by the recorded speeds of area riders easily tracked down on Strava.

The infusion of publicly-available data like that available through Strava – and even through Instagram photos – has certainly had some ill and unintended effects on outdoor recreation groups. While the posting of a camping 'Gram in a blatantly illegal spot might lead to public ire, GPS data from Strava records is helping expose fun but illegal trails all over the place. Can you say Santa Cruz?

While Los Altos Hills' action is seemingly a unique example of what can happen when folks who don't want bikers around use bikers' own data against them, it's not hard to imagine Forest Service rangers or other public officials being forced to take action against illegal trails (more on that with our friends at Singletracks), or in the case of Los Altos Hills, revoke legal trail access mountain bikers already enjoy.

If riders are getting banned going 20, what happens if they're going as fast as Francois Baily-Maître. He's gotta be stoked he's French and doesn't have to worry about this nonsense. Ryan Dunfee photo.

That's the scarier possibility – that riders perfectly enjoying themselves going fast on bikes on trails they're allowed to, and recording that experience in the process because it's hard not to in this era of big data and oversharing leads to a verbal minority finding that readily-available data and running, Excel sheet in hand, to their town council to back up their biker ban ordinance with data showing local bikers hauling rear end at "just incredibly unacceptable" speeds.

If people rolling at 20 mph are getting people banned, it makes me a bit nervous considering top Strava feeds on my favorite trail in Jackson Hole are up around 33 mph. But given the inevitable posting of Strava data – as well as that from other apps that track outdoor activities – it would seem the only solution is to get out in front of the issue, own those speeds, and be the group that starts the conversation about shared use. Better that than to be on your heels, or in the case of the public comment in the Los Altos Hills case, not present in the conversation at all.

"The bikes might scare our children's horses!"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
pathletes are a legit problem and tons of the trails around here have speed limits posted because they're a danger to everyone else

treating a shared space like a track is rear end in a top hat behavior

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
were people blasting through the woods sharing the same facility with pedestrians? that’s an awful idea.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
only los altos would spend an additional $6000+/year to spite-ban a legitimate group of users rather than doing anything else, under the petition of a minority of equestrians no less

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

tech.... good???????

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i think mountain bikers should be able to enjoy outdoor public spaces, but nowhere near foot traffic.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
looks like the city council had been considering the ban for awhile due to all the complaints from hikers and horse people ie "everyone else who uses the park"

lol at this tho

quote:

Councilman Gary Waldeck counted 31 speakers who addressed the council on the issue Jan. 27 and pointed out a noticeable commonality to those against the ban: eight of the nine speakers who voiced opposition reside outside of Los Altos Hills. They live in neighboring communities like Mountain View, Sunnyvale and Palo Alto and use the trails for commuting and recreation.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it looks like that park is basically a couple of tire tracks through a wide-open meadow

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
sounds like the park should be taken over by the county rather than administered by Los Altos Hills

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
here's the trail they're complaining about

i wouldn't want to bike that when it's also choked with horse poo

i grew up near a public horse activity center and their poo poo gets eeeeeeverywhere

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh, one of those. there are a ton of beautiful trails like that in los altos and saratoga. and yeah, they are not for bikers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Should kick out the horses too imo, hikers only