Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Smegmalicious posted:

That’s a gigantic palp nerf. Force tokens are underwhelming right now unless you either have a way to regenerate them quickly, like Luke, or unless there are going to be awesome force ability cards which we haven’t seen yet.

Speaking of Luke, he is going to be damned hard to kill with R2D2 onboard. His force ability means he has a mini focus literally every time he is targeted. That seems very strong.

Luke, defensively, is essentially 1.0 Poe except he doesn't even need the focus token. At least it's only 2 defense dice, but he's gonna be a real PITA to kill.

He's gonna cost 70+ points, though. He's like 60 base. R2-D2 is 10. Then if you want an EPT or torpedo...

From what I've seen so far, Luke + Biggs + <something> is gonna be A Thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Smegmalicious posted:

That’s a gigantic palp nerf. Force tokens are underwhelming right now unless you either have a way to regenerate them quickly, like Luke, or unless there are going to be awesome force ability cards which we haven’t seen yet.

I'm confused, why do you consider this a gigantic nerf? Palp regens one force token a turn.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

One thing that no one really talks about is the new phase between planning (dials) and movement (activation). This is the Systems phase (or maybe device phase, I've seen both terms used).

This is where things like bombs happen. Presumably this is where decloaks happen, too.

This really opens up a lot of space for interesting abilities. A lot of those "look at dials" cards are ideal for this phase. I can see opportunities for ship abilities, reposition actions, coordinates, and more.

AndyElusive posted:

I'm confused, why do you consider this a gigantic nerf? Palp regens one force token a turn.

He only changes focuses, not blanks. That's a pretty big deal.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Panzeh posted:

I imagine Palp will be a bit less expensive- being able to have free-floating focus flips in critical situations is still pretty good, and if you really want to you can get him and vader on a decimator for two flips.

I think people want Palp to be as ridiculous as he was, but IMO this is probably for the best.

Is Vader’s crew ability confirmed? What is it?

I have no problem with Palp being super strong just cost him accordingly. The cards should reflect the flavor of the fiction. Vader should be the greatest pilot ever. Palp should be ridiculous. Then you should balance them with appropriate costs, which should be easy now with the app. You should ever fly Vader or field Palp and think, “meh,” but they should cost an arm and a dick to be as powerful as they should be.

ConfusedUs posted:

He only changes focuses, not blanks. That's a pretty big deal.

Yeah that’s a pretty limited ability. I’m trying to think what an appropriate cost for that would have been in 1.0, maybe 4-5 points?

Edit: also it looks like Palp is only for defense. So Palp has the same ability Luke has, although on any of your ships, but doesn’t have the crazy force regen that Luke has. That’s pretty poo poo. I hope you’re not expected to pay a premium for that.

Smegmalicious fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 7, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Smegmalicious posted:

Speaking of Luke, he is going to be damned hard to kill with R2D2 onboard. His force ability means he has a mini focus literally every time he is targeted. That seems very strong.

That's literally what Luke's ability was before. Now it has the added bonus of regening force points even if you roll no focus results.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Do you have to announce that you're using Palps 2.0 ability before you roll or can you use his force token to modify a focus result after?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Smegmalicious posted:

Edit: also it looks like Palp is only for defense. So Palp has the same ability Luke has, although on any of your ships, but doesn’t have the crazy force regen that Luke has. That’s pretty poo poo. I hope you’re not expected to pay a premium for that.

Palp was mistranslated, it works on both attack and defense. If it's costed right, it's not a bad upgrade, since I think with the more defined action bars there's going to be fewer ships taking focus actions every turn and then having a global focus change once per turn is pretty handy.

AndyElusive posted:

Do you have to announce that you're using Palps 2.0 ability before you roll or can you use his force token to modify a focus result after?

I believe the wording is another friendly ship can use Palpatine's force token as if it were its own, so you'd roll first and then choose to use the token to modify a result.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

That's literally what Luke's ability was before. Now it has the added bonus of regening force points even if you roll no focus results.

And also he can use it on offense- Luke got a serious buff.

Smegmalicious posted:

I have no problem with Palp being super strong just cost him accordingly. The cards should reflect the flavor of the fiction. Vader should be the greatest pilot ever. Palp should be ridiculous. Then you should balance them with appropriate costs, which should be easy now with the app. You should ever fly Vader or field Palp and think, “meh,” but they should cost an arm and a dick to be as powerful as they should be.

We don't know what the text is, but we do know it gives +1 force token to the ship he's on- it looks like he can use a force token to make a ship at range 0-2 flip a damage card up, but it's tough to tell.

The problem with old Palp is that he was in the kind of place where there's probably not going to be an appropriate cost for him where he's still viable- it was crazy when it stacked with the token stacking aces, but even with other high value ships with good greens he was insane. Pretty much every imperial list short of crazy missile boat alpha strikes(the result of harpoon insanity) used him, even after the nerf, which indicates I think the card was a bit of a problem designwise.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Smegmalicious posted:

From the image in the FFG announcement article here.

"At the start of the Engagement Phase, you may chose one ship in your firing arc at range 0-2 and spend 1 💠. If you do that ...[symbol that's either a Hit or most likely a Crit] damage..."

Guessing he works the same, you just have to spend 💠 now.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I assume crew that give +1 Force point also Regen at the end of the round like pilots do.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I assume crew that give +1 Force point also Regen at the end of the round like pilots do.

Only if they have that little triangle next to the force number as far as I understand. So I would assume that's going to be most of them.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
I’m glad Palp can be both offense and defense. That is always a fun choice to have to make.

Maybe Jedi/Smith will regenerate force charges and “force sensitive” people will not? That seems like a good way to differentiate the two.

I’m not sure how I feel a our Vader crew. I wonder if there’s a penalty for using him like in 1.0.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

FFG confirmed that the special damage deck is available only if you pre-order, not if you buy at Gen Con.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Here’s to hoping that with all the ships, they’ll be equally terrible in a way that they blow up easily so that a meta is hard to develop. Like having a squad of B-Wings Y-Wings has as much as a chance to win as a whole list of TIEs swarming about.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Holy poo poo my dudes, in the last thread I was bemoaning how I got tired of chasing the meta in this game and it wore me out.

And now FFG serves me these wonderful changes to me on a silver platter! :allears:

Ringo Star Get posted:

Here’s to hoping that with all the ships, they’ll be equally terrible in a way that they blow up easily so that a meta is hard to develop. Like having a squad of B-Wings Y-Wings has as much as a chance to win as a whole list of TIEs swarming about.

Which means... *gasp* people will have to use skill instead of chasing a meta! :aaa:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/5/7/be-the-spark/

Those double sided BB-8 templates are AMAZING

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

That's genius

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya all of that swag looks awesome and I'm usually pretty meh about them.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

TheCenturion posted:

I almost wonder if a design goal was “no match should ever go to time.”

Looking forward to a Scum upgrade that supercharges your ship, but requires you to discard one charge after every round and when you run out your ship explodes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Obama 2012 posted:

Looking forward to a Scum upgrade that supercharges your ship, but requires you to discard one charge after every round and when you run out your ship explodes.

This is how dead man's switch should work.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Booyah- posted:

That's genius

No, that's BB-8

:smug:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Looking forward to getting my Vader card before losing 3 games in a row and dropping to go play something else.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Funzo posted:

Looking forward to getting my Vader card before losing 3 games in a row and dropping to go play something else.

Has registration already happened for that?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
UK Games Expo is the first weekend of June, so maybe happening there?

ETA: for an event that people keep bugging me to go to I really know gently caress all about it. Seems it's full.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 8, 2018

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Has registration already happened for that?

For the North American championship at Gen Con? Yes, it opened Sunday. There were still slots open last I checked.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Obama 2012 posted:

ConfusedUs posted:

This is how dead man's switch should work.

Stop it. I can only get so hard.

Shouldn't we be hearing about store championships soon? The new format doesn't kick off till 2019.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sorry for the Facebook link, I don't know if it's available anywhere else.

The full damage deck: https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10158069724347524&id=674087523&set=pcb.2166020896963761&refid=13&__tn__=%2B%3D

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I just saw the TIE ace that can cancel damage once per game :dong:

I also realised that a 7 tie swarm is totally doable with just a new core and one conversion kit. Because you'll have Howlrunner, the Biggs TIE and 5 generics. Tiles and cards shouldn't be a problem. You'll only be short one dial and they've already confirmed that the TIE/ln dial didn't change.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The full damage deck: https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10158069724347524&id=674087523&set=pcb.2166020896963761&refid=13&__tn__=%2B%3D

Interesting. None of the Crits that require you to spend an action to repair have you roll a die to flip them.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tacopocalypse posted:

Interesting. None of the Crits that require you to spend an action to repair have you roll a die to flip them.

It fits with the design decision to give you choices and control over those choices. Before, you had to decide if a regular action was better than flipping this card over and oops you failed the roll and accomplished nothing due to random chance. Now it's an actual choice.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

Stop it. I can only get so hard.

Keep in mind I was saying "should" as in "wishful speculation," not "should" as in "this is how I think I remember seeing it."

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The new Structural Damage is gonna be the most-hated card in the deck, because you can't get rid of it.

The rest are all great. I love that Direct Hit is now just "draw another card."

Also only 5 directs, but 4 Fuel Leaks.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ConfusedUs posted:

No more trying to keep track of which ships have a direct hit, and need that card counted as two!

It really is the little things that are making this seem like an incredibly polished and refined update. I am so hype.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

ConfusedUs posted:

The best part is that there's an ability that can flip up damage cards on opponents, and if they got a DH that's just free damage :v:

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Edit: Wrong thread

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LanceKing2200 posted:

The best part is that there's an ability that can flip up damage cards on opponents, and if they got a DH that's just free damage :v:

Vader: do not approach, do not engage. JUST RUN. As it should be :getin:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Direct Hit will also cycle through your damage deck, for better or worse.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tacopocalypse posted:

A huge, huge improvement. Adding random rolls to stuff for shiggles was one of the worst things in 1e.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Funzo posted:

For the North American championship at Gen Con? Yes, it opened Sunday. There were still slots open last I checked.

Thanks for this. Now I walk down the same decision tree as always happens when I consider travelling for x-wing.

OK, flights are going to be $350.
Hotel will probably be about that much again, if I can find someone to split with.
Registration is $20, and I'll need to take one or two vacation days.
So I'm looking at $700 and a couple vacation days to play x-wing for a weekend.

And then every time I decide I'd rather spend the $700 and 2 vacation days on a different vacation :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

If only there were a way to get more copies of all the stuff, but of course, FFG prevents you from buying a second conversion kit or trading materials with other people.