Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Tae posted:

Playing more than one character is a thing that is only beneficial :psyduck: Literally no downside, because you can just ignore it if you really hate it

To be fair, no you cannot, because the game's challenges are based on your ability to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Also, if your second character dies (and they will, if you're not babysitting them because the AI is atrocious), it's still a game over, at least in 4.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Also, if your second character dies (and they will, if you're not babysitting them because the AI is atrocious), it's still a game over, at least in 4.

Not in FEW, thankfully.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i cant recall my 2nd char getting in any problem outside of when i took a level 1 into high difficulty

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
My issue with having to control a second character is alleviated in Fire Emblem Warriors by being allowed to join the characters up, so it's basically like Warriors Orochi and that's fine.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SW4 was so easy I dunno if I ever got a game over

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

SW4 was so easy I dunno if I ever got a game over
I did if the AI commander did that thing where they rush off to attack despite being undermanned and just generally ill-equipped to take on several enemy officers at once.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah FE Warriors captains are pretty sturdy. You'll also have ample warning if they are struggling. And if your guy is against someone that will ruin them (pegasus vs archer, Fred vs magic) the game won't shut up about how bad a matchup they're getting into.

Only time I lost significant people was when I went into an Anna map severely underlevelled because I wanted to unlock her ASAP

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Warriors Orochi 4 to have 170 playable characters.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

:prepop:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd be more interested if Koei has made a good Warriors game since 2014

Or at least good without a huge but

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pirate Warriors 3 and Spirit of Sanada were good though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was just guessing with the year.

Sanada was okay I guess but Yukimura is so loving boring I just forgot about it

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'd be more interested if Koei has made a good Warriors game since 2014

Or at least good without a huge but

Fire Emblem Warriors owns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

But all the copy paste movesets suck

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Fire Emblem Warriors owns.

Ehhhhhhh

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

But all the copy paste movesets suck

That's like the one issue, and it can largely be ignored due to the fact that everyone is fun to play. It's probably the first Warriors game I've ever picked up where I didn't hate a character type. (At worst, Pegasus Knights are kinda bad but they really grew on me and are super fast on the battlefield.)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Pirate Warriors 3 would be the best if the mission design wasn’t so bad.

Fire Emblem Warriors is good aside from the clones and bad dlc.

Hyrule Warriors is good but some of the characters and weapons are no fun.

Warriors all-stars is all around bad.

There is no musou that is good without reservation

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Overbite posted:

Hyrule Warriors is good but some of the characters and weapons are no fun.

Ok but if that is the bar to clear then that's probably one that no musou in the history of ever has managed.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
How much do we know about changes in Hyrule Warriors Switch? Specifically do we know if those annoying "Don't take too much damage!" missions have been changed?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
All we know is that it's a console version of the 3ds version

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

LanceKing2200 posted:

How much do we know about changes in Hyrule Warriors Switch? Specifically do we know if those annoying "Don't take too much damage!" missions have been changed?

You mean the "Fight off all these archers, and if you take a single hit, you automatically lose the A rank and have to redo it" missions?

Or just the general "Take no more than 4 Hearts of damage, lol good luck with that since you're using Medli at level 7" missions?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Overbite posted:

Warriors all-stars is all around bad.

I see people say this, but they never say why. I played it quite a bit and it was just like any other Warriors game, except with some furry characters added. It was completely serviceable as a side-game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was the crappy 'do a few missions, get an ending, start again' structure that did it for me also why furries?? The allstar attack sucked too because it didn't stop time and took ages in a game where it was very easy to lose an objective and fail.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rush sucks, removing Morale and not replacing it with anything is stupid, the music is pretty bad on the whole

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Takoluka posted:

That's like the one issue, and it can largely be ignored due to the fact that everyone is fun to play. It's probably the first Warriors game I've ever picked up where I didn't hate a character type. (At worst, Pegasus Knights are kinda bad but they really grew on me and are super fast on the battlefield.)

Pegasus Knights are pretty egregiously bad and they're the only Lances in the base game. Which also means they are the most useful since almost half the unique characters are Sword users or Mages that they excel against.

Their moveset is bad enough it turned me off the game entirely tbh, and the DLC was kind of outrageous in how many more just clones it added to the roster.

plus also there were too many loving sword users and fates characters in general. And there are loving 4 Archers with the same moveset.

And it crashed my Switch pretty consistently when I was playing as Lyn and going fast.

needless to say, I did not have a good time with it and vastly preferred Hyrule Warriors.

Zore fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 8, 2018

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Takoluka posted:

You mean the "Fight off all these archers, and if you take a single hit, you automatically lose the A rank and have to redo it" missions?

Or just the general "Take no more than 4 Hearts of damage, lol good luck with that since you're using Medli at level 7" missions?

The second one. I don't really mind the "die in 2 hits" missions, they make an interesting challenge and there aren't a ton of them. Those second ones suck rear end because A) It makes heart pieces a worthless reward since it's ALWAYS 4 hearts regardless of how many you have, and B) they are EVERYWHERE in the later challenge maps.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

PureRok posted:

I see people say this, but they never say why. I played it quite a bit and it was just like any other Warriors game, except with some furry characters added. It was completely serviceable as a side-game.

The level-up-during-missions is really lovely. I'm basically punished for trying to rush the boss he's a level 5 and I have to build up my number. Every. Single. Mission.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Pureauthor posted:

Ok but if that is the bar to clear then that's probably one that no musou in the history of ever has managed.

Fire emblem warriors, wah wah

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zore posted:

Pegasus Knights are pretty egregiously bad and they're the only Lances in the base game. Which also means they are the most useful since almost half the unique characters are Sword users or Mages that they excel against.

Their moveset is bad enough it turned me off the game entirely tbh, and the DLC was kind of outrageous in how many more just clones it added to the roster.

plus also there were too many loving sword users and fates characters in general. And there are loving 4 Archers with the same moveset.

And it crashed my Switch pretty consistently when I was playing as Lyn and going fast.

needless to say, I did not have a good time with it and vastly preferred Hyrule Warriors.

I definitely felt the same way about Pegasus Knights until I got everyone's full moveset. It's vastly better when you've got full combos, outside of the fact that Caeda is consistently terrible in every game she's in.

In regards to sword users, Rowan and Lianna are going to play the same, because of course they are. From there, the clones are Chrom/Lucina, Marth/Celica, and Lyn/Navarre. Ryoma, Xander, Corrin, Olivia, and Owain all play differently. The only reason we have so many Fates characters is because 1) it's two games, and 2) it's dumb popular. I think it's fine for a first FEW game, but I hope they expand in the future. As far as Archers go... yeah, I'm with you. They do get unique specials, though, and Anna's "BUSINESS IS BOOMING!" dual special is top notch.

Before FEW, Hyrule Warriors was, in my opinion, the best Musou game. I feel like FEW built on HWs formula and fixed a lot of things, like not having The Imprisoned, making objectives reasonable, sacrificing unique moveset for ones that clone movesets I'd rather actually use, not having The Imprisoned, making History Mode not a gigantic chore like Adventure Mode was, and not having The Imprisoned.

Also, I really wish HW had voice acting, because it is very easy to tunnel vision in Musou games and not even realize someone said something.

LanceKing2200 posted:

The second one. I don't really mind the "die in 2 hits" missions, they make an interesting challenge and there aren't a ton of them. Those second ones suck rear end because A) It makes heart pieces a worthless reward since it's ALWAYS 4 hearts regardless of how many you have, and B) they are EVERYWHERE in the later challenge maps.

Yeah, I'm quite positive they didn't go away, and they're ridiculously unfun with the wrong characters.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Takoluka posted:

Yeah, I'm quite positive they didn't go away, and they're ridiculously unfun with the wrong characters.

Ugh, they are easily the worst part of the game. At least make it like, 25% of your max health so that way heart containers are an actual reward.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

Holy poo poo. Any confirmation on who's being added? In particular curious if they'll add any new non-Dynasty/Samurai characters

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i cant believe the new orochi is going to have 162 marth clones

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

LanceKing2200 posted:

Ugh, they are easily the worst part of the game. At least make it like, 25% of your max health so that way heart containers are an actual reward.

I'm so loving glad FEW switched to percentage of health as a damage rating. WHy on earth didn't they go back and fix that?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

There's still hope for Bo Jackson appearing in a musou game.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

LanceKing2200 posted:

I'm wondering this too, it's been out for a month or so in Japan and the best I could find re: balance changes was a disorganized GameFAQs thread.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I like warriors all stars.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Reiterpallasch posted:

i cant believe the new orochi is going to have 162 marth clones

48 pegasus knights, 76 archers, 22 of the generic sword moveset from dw7, 23 furries, and zhao yun

fi added as dlc

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Remarker posted:

Holy poo poo. Any confirmation on who's being added? In particular curious if they'll add any new non-Dynasty/Samurai characters

Be cool to see some Gust representation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mokinokaro posted:

Be cool to see some Gust representation.

Ar Tonelico represent!