Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

:3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
By counting the most meagre form of life (existence) as the standard, indeed, as the general standard – general because it is applicable to the mass of men. He turns the worker into an insensible being lacking all needs, just as he changes his activity into a pure abstraction from all activity. To him, therefore, every luxury of the worker seems to be reprehensible, and everything that goes beyond the most abstract need – be it in the realm of passive enjoyment, or a manifestation of activity – seems to him a luxury. Political economy, this science of wealth, is therefore simultaneously the science of renunciation, of want, of saving and it actually reaches the point where it spares man the need of either fresh air or physical exercise. This science of marvellous industry is simultaneously the science of asceticism, and its true ideal is the ascetic but extortionate miser and the ascetic but productive slave. Its moral ideal is the worker who takes part of his wages to the savings-bank, and it has even found ready-made a servile art which embodies this pet idea: it has been presented, bathed in sentimentality, on the stage. Thus political economy – despite its worldly and voluptuous appearance – is a true moral science, the most moral of all the sciences. Self-renunciation, the renunciation of life and of all human needs, is its principal thesis. The less you eat, drink and buy books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save – the greater becomes your treasure which neither moths nor rust will devour – your capital. The less you are, the less you express your own life, the more you have, i.e., the greater is your alienated life, the greater is the store of your estranged being.

nice

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm still going to try to save money

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

exmarx posted:

By counting the most meagre form of life (existence) as the standard, indeed, as the general standard – general because it is applicable to the mass of men. He turns the worker into an insensible being lacking all needs, just as he changes his activity into a pure abstraction from all activity. To him, therefore, every luxury of the worker seems to be reprehensible, and everything that goes beyond the most abstract need – be it in the realm of passive enjoyment, or a manifestation of activity – seems to him a luxury. Political economy, this science of wealth, is therefore simultaneously the science of renunciation, of want, of saving and it actually reaches the point where it spares man the need of either fresh air or physical exercise. This science of marvellous industry is simultaneously the science of asceticism, and its true ideal is the ascetic but extortionate miser and the ascetic but productive slave. Its moral ideal is the worker who takes part of his wages to the savings-bank, and it has even found ready-made a servile art which embodies this pet idea: it has been presented, bathed in sentimentality, on the stage. Thus political economy – despite its worldly and voluptuous appearance – is a true moral science, the most moral of all the sciences. Self-renunciation, the renunciation of life and of all human needs, is its principal thesis. The less you eat, drink and buy books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save – the greater becomes your treasure which neither moths nor rust will devour – your capital. The less you are, the less you express your own life, the more you have, i.e., the greater is your alienated life, the greater is the store of your estranged being.

nice

tldr

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

oh my

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Happy birthday Karl Marx. He is survived by capitalism.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you finally went awol?

troop middle manager

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
and as they did eat, jesus took a bag of flamin' hot cheetos, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, take, eat: this is my body

and he took the mickey's big mouth, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it

and he said unto them, this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/justabloodygame/status/993103882388635648?s=21

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

so just like the actual willy wonka

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
willy wonka and the systemic pattern of h-2b worker abuse

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

The Muppets On PCP posted:

willy wonka and the systemic pattern of h-2b worker abuse

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
as always, i am the extremely sweaty man in the pink shirt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4R6iFSYDZ0

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i finally saw the avengers movie

it was better than the first two, but that's a low bar

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I like this a lot

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
owns

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i want to go to czechoslovakia, i've only met czech-australians and they are a very strange and exciting people

after my parents split, age 2-4 for me, we lived in a household of czech tattoo artists leading an existence mum describes as "punk dada" and she says none of them had jobs and they were all sat at home smoking weed all day and listened to tom waits and balanescu quartet 24/7. sadly i remember none of it but it was probably a formative experience. at the time i was also in and out of hospital recovering from major brain surgery so who knows what happened to all those memories, one day i'll probably get hit by a car and wake up speaking czech and thinking romani people are the fair folk

this broken hill fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 7, 2018

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
until that day i only speak english and i know the fair folk are the finns (and possibly the latvians and estonians)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

this broken hill posted:

i want to go to czechoslovakia, i've only met czech-australians and they are a very strange and exciting people

after my parents split, age 2-4 for me, we lived in a household of czech tattoo artists leading an existence mum describes as "punk dada" and she says none of them had jobs and they were all covered yakuza-style in tattoos and they listened to tom waits and balanescu quartet 24/7. sadly i remember none of it but it was probably a formative experience

It also explains your ŽÁBY JSOU V POHODĚ tattoo

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I used google translate for that so I apologize to any Czechs if it sounds awkward

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

toot
toot

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

this broken hill posted:

until that day i only speak english and i know the fair folk are the finns (and possibly the latvians and estonians)

Or as I like to call them, the “Flatvests”

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

this broken hill posted:

i want to go to czechoslovakia

I have bad news

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Volkerball posted:

I have bad news

maybe she has a time machine

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

The Muppets On PCP posted:

maybe she has a time machine

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Vanya wouldn't go back and kill Hitler.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/ceodonovan/status/993350876805849090?s=21

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

quote:

“Many contracts are essentially open time & materials, not fixed price and duration, which creates an incentive to turn molehills into mountains, as they never want to end the money train,” he wrote.

A car manufacturer that gives its contractors an easy time on payment and materials? Sounds like somebody has competitive supply chain management all figured out. :allears:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/70GB/status/993425300515053568?s=19

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

exmarx posted:

toot
toot

Kyooooooon~

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Limp bizkit never let me down like all the thread favorites do over and over to y'all.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
who are the thread favorites

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Grimes and kanye

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Volkerball, what was your opinion on Far Cry 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've been broke as hell so I still don't have it. 5 stars tho, GOTY.

• Locked thread