Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pubic works project posted:

So a buddy is letting me read his Angela: Asgard's Assassin tpb....is there anything I should read Thor-wise before I delve into this?

Original Sin 5.1 or whatever is a pretty good story about Thor and Loki finding out about their lost sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If anyone wants some good humor comics, check out the work of Kyle Starks. His artwork is really crude, but his books are hilarious. He has written and drawn the original graphic novel Sexcastle (a homage to '80s action movies) and the series Rock Candy Mountain (a post-WWII hobo adventure), both published by Image. If you have the Hoopla service through your public library system, both are available on there, and they're both a lot of fun.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If anyone wants some good humor comics, check out the work of Kyle Starks. His artwork is really crude, but his books are hilarious. He has written and drawn the original graphic novel Sexcastle (a homage to '80s action movies) and the series Rock Candy Mountain (a post-WWII hobo adventure), both published by Image. If you have the Hoopla service through your public library system, both are available on there, and they're both a lot of fun.

Seconding Sexcastle - it's fantastic.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I understand I have to careful with what Exiles collections I purchase, as some are god tier and some are liquid feces made writ. Please point me to the ones I should read.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 1, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I understand I have to careful with what Exiles collections I purchase, as some are god tier and some are liquid feces made writ. Please point me to the ones I should read.

Anything written by Judd Winnick or Jeff Parker is good. Tony Bedard is iffy. Chris Claremont: Avoid.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bedard's Exiles is probably the best thing he's ever written fwiw. It's still just average at best but has some fun bits.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Seems like a good time to reread Infinity Gauntlet and Thanos Quest, is any of the old stuff around that worth reading? Specifically the Return of Thanos stuff in Silver Surfer that leads into it, and the Infinty Watch books, I don’t plan on rereading any of the other minis like War or Crusade

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I think so. But then, and now, I think Quest and the Silver Stuff was better than the actual Gauntlet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Retro Futurist posted:

Seems like a good time to reread Infinity Gauntlet and Thanos Quest, is any of the old stuff around that worth reading? Specifically the Return of Thanos stuff in Silver Surfer that leads into it, and the Infinty Watch books, I don’t plan on rereading any of the other minis like War or Crusade

All the Silver Surfer issues tying into Thanos and Infinity Gauntlet I feel are pretty integral to the main story and often fill in gaps nicely. Here’s a post I made earlier in this thread on it.

X-O posted:

I'd say that the Surfer Tie-ins to Infinity Gauntlet are needed as they flesh out the story and unlike the other tie-ins they tie-in directly at times to things going on in the event. Here's a quick read order for just Infinity Gauntlet

Silver Surfer 34-38,40
Thanos Quest 1-2
Silver Surfer 44-50
Infinity Gauntlet 1-3
Silver Surfer 52-54
Infinity Gauntlet 4
Silver Surfer 55-58
Infinity Gauntlet 5
Silver Surfer 59
Infinity Gauntlet 6
Silver Surfer 60
Warlock and The Infinity Watch 1-2

I'd say everything from 34-40 is kind of important and 44-50 is very important. As for the others, there's one Surfer issue in there that doesn't tie in really well, it's mostly about him recuperating and then a confrontation with Rhino but it's a fun short read anyway. That last Surfer issue is also optional as it just kind of ties up a little bit of the end before moving on to a stand alone story. Warlock and the Infinity Watch is the book that kind of keeps the story going between the events but I think the first 2 issues are pretty much as important as Thanos Quest because it's really the wrapping up of the whole thing.

Also to add to this I’d say after all this go back at the very end and read the Thanos Annual from a couple years back by Starlin and Lim that ties into Infinity Gauntlet directly. It’s story about something Thanos did off panel during the time he had the Gauntlet that is a fun read.

X-O fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 3, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dope, thanks XO

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

I'd say that the Surfer Tie-ins to Infinity Gauntlet are needed as they flesh out the story and unlike the other tie-ins they tie-in directly at times to things going on in the event. Here's a quick read order for just Infinity Gauntlet

Silver Surfer 34-38,40
Thanos Quest 1-2
Silver Surfer 44-50
Infinity Gauntlet 1-3
Silver Surfer 52-54
Infinity Gauntlet 4
Silver Surfer 55-58
Infinity Gauntlet 5
Silver Surfer 59
Infinity Gauntlet 6
Silver Surfer 60
Warlock and The Infinity Watch 1-2

I'd say everything from 34-40 is kind of important and 44-50 is very important. As for the others, there's one Surfer issue in there that doesn't tie in really well, it's mostly about him recuperating and then a confrontation with Rhino but it's a fun short read anyway. That last Surfer issue is also optional as it just kind of ties up a little bit of the end before moving on to a stand alone story. Warlock and the Infinity Watch is the book that kind of keeps the story going between the events but I think the first 2 issues are pretty much as important as Thanos Quest because it's really the wrapping up of the whole thing.

poo poo like this makes me wish Marvel Unlimited had a linkable "playlist" feature.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I fully expect to be laughed at, but oh well. My wife is getting excited for the Captain Marvel film coming out. Does a good series exist by her? I know she gets character assassinated a lot, and there's the whole "gives birth to her rapist" thing, and the last run about her was awful. But I said I would ask.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I kinda liked KSD's run, but the opening arc isn't great.

You can safely ignore the whole "gave birth to her rapist" thing, since everyone at Marvel has wisely done the same.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There was that one arc about her cat really being an alien that wasn't terrible I guess

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

I read and enjoyed the FCBD Power Rangers issue. Is it worth reading this series from the start or should I just jump in from the start of this Shattered Grid event?

radlum
May 13, 2013
Has anyone read those recent Infinity books by Jim Starlin? Like Infinity Revelation, Relativity, Finale, Siblings. Are they any good?

I saw them at my local store yesterday and I was tempted to buy them but ended up getting only Aaron's Thanos origin story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you like Starlin's stuff in general yes, they are good.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm watching legion and wondering if any of the comics are worth reading and if so which ones

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup. Simon Spurrier's X-Men Legacy.
https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Legacy-Prodigal-Marvel-Now/dp/0785162496

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I love Astro City: The Tarnished Angel. I enjoy Astro City in general, and have read Life in the Big City, Shining Stars, Dark Age Vol 1 & 2, Local Heroes and Private Lives. Which are best of the ones I haven't read? Is Reflections (the sorta sequel to Tarnished Angel) any good? Also any recommendations to something similar to Astro City, particularly Tarnished Angel (I'm a sucker for villains redeeming themselves). would re appreciated.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 7, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I love Astro City: The Tarnished Angel. I enjoy Astro City in general, and have read Life in the Big City, Shining Stars, Dark Age Vol 1 & 2, Local Heroes and Private Lives. Which are best of the ones I haven't read? Is Reflections (the sorta sequel to Tarnished Angel) any good? Also any recommendations to something similar to Astro City, particularly Tarnished Angel (I'm a sucker for villains redeeming themselves). would re appreciated.

CONFESSSION. For the love of God (only kinda intended the pun) read CONFESSION.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I haven't read DC or Marvel since 2012, who are the good writers now

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Parallax posted:

Tom King, Gerry Duggan, Ryan North, Matt Fraction, Chip Zdarsky.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 8, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

All those Marvel and DC books Fraction is writing like....uh.....?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tom King, Gerry Duggan, Ryan North, Matt Fraction, Chip Zdarsky.

Matt Fraction hasn't written for a major company in long while now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
according to marvel fractions hawkeye started in august 2012 so technically...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jeff Lemire but his best stuff seems to be saved for his indie work.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any good Fantastic Four comics

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hundreds.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lots and lots and lots. And then even more.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyplace you guys would recommend starting

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fantastic Four #1

edit: I guess if you can't stand old comics, Hickman's run starts with a Dark Reign Fantastic Four miniseries, then the ongoing from #570

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The most celebrated runs are Lee/Kirby, John Byrne, Walt Simonson, and Jonathan Hickman. Probably not in that order. That's probably 300ish comics all told.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
FF #39

Fantastic Four is good right from the getgo, but it's good relative to contemporary comics, not compared to modern ones. Starting around 39 though, it goes on a run that's simply good.

It starts to drag a bit in the 70s as Kirby starts to check out, but those ~50 issues are superb.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shame on all of you above me that it took FOUR posts before somebody said the Waid/Weiringo run. After the Hickman run, and maybe before it for some, it’s the modern run to read.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm creating a basic reading guide for my MCU-loving friends who want to get into comics. One area where I'm drawing a blank is Vision and Scarlet Witch. Aside from their recent comics, what are good and cool storylines centered on them? They don't have to be together, and no I'm not including House of M in the list.

Also, Thanos outside of Infinity Gauntlet, I guess? I'm not really a fan so I don't know too much of him outside of funny stuff like Star-Lord punching him in the junk (where was that from, anyway?).

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 8, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Shame on all of you above me that it took FOUR posts before somebody said the Waid/Weiringo run. After the Hickman run, and maybe before it for some, it’s the modern run to read.
I am angry at myself for forgetting this.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Just start with issue one of the new series and read all of it. The ongoing comics (compared to the older self-contained stories) are frequently 3-4 issue stories with a couple one-offs in-between, and there's some weird meta-plot tying it all together.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

IUG posted:

I fully expect to be laughed at, but oh well. My wife is getting excited for the Captain Marvel film coming out. Does a good series exist by her?

No.

Parallax posted:

Ryan North is killing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Also Al Ewing