Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Only a useful post if they own Ryobi tools:
I have the 43cm ryobi hybrid, it takes 2x18v batteries or you can plug it in. I can do our lawn in about 10-15 minutes on a pair of small batteries very easily. It's light, not self-propelled though, has a rear bag. I picked it up on clearance to replace a self propelled petrol my wife couldn't handle and it's fantastic.

So my opinion is that for a small lawn if you already have the batterie system no they're not universally awful.

They're current battery system is a single NiCad Black and Decker drill that I bought like 15 years ago and left over there.

They're current machine isn't self propelled, either, so that's not a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

the ryobi 18v one is really good, think i scored it for 20 or 25 before tax. has a presta valve adapter too

drat, that's a pretty nice and cheap thing. I might buy that and sell my air compressor since I literally have only ever used it to blow poo poo around, pump up tires, and for an impact. I now have a Ryobi impact and leaf blower already, so...:v:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

If anything, I would like an electric just to not have to store gas in a shittastic California rated gas can, I swear my gas can leaks more fuel than it pours out of the spout. . . great for the environment!

Old crusty fuel cans are like $5 at tons of garage sales I've been too. Clean em out real well and they'll last as long as you want them to.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Old busted

There are actually at least another half dozen garbage ones hanging around.

New hotness

RIP me. Worth it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The thought of some caveman taking a hammer to those nice screwdrivers makes me physically cringe.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wera does make screw drivers designed for exactly that kind of use. The butt of the handle is some form of steel and the tips appear to be an impact rated material.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is there anything that doesn't cause cancer in California?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Wera does make screw drivers designed for exactly that kind of use. The butt of the handle is some form of steel and the tips appear to be an impact rated material.

Notice these aren't a continuous piece from striker to tip, there's a little gap so you get a shorter sharper impulse when you apply the welly. You can also get a box-wrench on the shank and apply torque before you twat it, they're great but I can't justify those yet.

The drawer of pliers etc is next.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Uthor posted:

Any suggestions for a battery powered mower? My parents are getting old and can't deal with the pull start on their otherwise good gas mower. Instead of getting a gas mower with an electric start, I wanna explore electric powered options.

It's a small, flat lot. I can do the whole thing in about 10-15 minutes. It'd need to have a bag (preferably on the back) and be decently maneuverable for some tight spots.

I'm concerned about not being able to replace the batteries in a few years, but maybe battery tech is good enough these days.

Hipster option: reel mower. I like mine, but that bullshit won't fly with them.

I had a chance to play around with one of these 80v self propelled Kobalt mowers a while back (I have the compatible string-trimmer, leaf blower, and chainsaw) and it seems pretty nice. Batteries charge in 30-40 minutes and the reviews are pretty much universally positive. Probably a bit overkill for your situation though since people use them on full acre lots. They also make a non self propelled version, a 40v version that is about half the price and probably more of what you're looking for, and Greenworks (made by the same company) has a 60v mower that is in the middle. Only the 80v stuff comes with the fast charger though.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

the ryobi 18v one is really good, think i scored it for 20 or 25 before tax. has a presta valve adapter too
I work for a bike share and we use these for keeping tires inflated in the field. We have maybe a dozen of them collectively topping off 2000+ tires every month. Every so often we have to crack them open and cut a bit off the end of the hose and put on a new zip tie or two when the cloth wrap comes unraveled and the hose breaks, but other than that they've been very reliable.

um excuse me posted:

The coolest hammer/screwdriver thing I've seen is the Vessel Impacta, which has a mechanism where you smack the back of the handle with a hammer, thus driving the head into the screw and simultaneously sharply turning it left to hopefully extract stubborn screws.

https://www.vesseltools.com/handtools/screwdrivers/megadora/980-series-detail

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

donut posted:

The coolest hammer/screwdriver thing I've seen is the Vessel Impacta, which has a mechanism where you smack the back of the handle with a hammer, thus driving the head into the screw and simultaneously sharply turning it left to hopefully extract stubborn screws.

https://www.vesseltools.com/handtools/screwdrivers/megadora/980-series-detail

You can just buy an impact driver ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver ), but the fact that that one is built into a screwdriver is kind of neat.

I always wanted a yankee screwdriver ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_screwdriver ) which has sort of a similar mechanism without the impact part, but I think they're probably useless for screws that are actually stuck in.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

boxen posted:

I always wanted a yankee screwdriver ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_screwdriver ) which has sort of a similar mechanism without the impact part, but I think they're probably useless for screws that are actually stuck in.

I had one of these a long time ago. MUCH better in theory than use. They don't really work well under anything but ideal conditions, making them pretty much worthless.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Seminal Flu posted:

I had one of these a long time ago. MUCH better in theory than use. They don't really work well under anything but ideal conditions, making them pretty much worthless.

Funny enough my dad was just saying how he loved them for door hardware. Light and fast, and didn’t damage the screws. I’d love to see a modern one with lasertips.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

StormDrain posted:

Funny enough my dad was just saying how he loved them for door hardware. Light and fast, and didn’t damage the screws. I’d love to see a modern one with lasertips.

I've seen them used in two movies (Robert De Niro's character in Brazil and Elwood at the end of Blues Brothers, in the elevator), and wanted one since, but I figure they're not used much anymore for a reason. Probably the same purpose as an electric screwdriver, but worse in almost every way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yankee screwdrivers are terrible because they’re way too long to be comfortable for most applications

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Uthor posted:

Any suggestions for a battery powered mower? My parents are getting old and can't deal with the pull start on their otherwise good gas mower. Instead of getting a gas mower with an electric start, I wanna explore electric powered options.

I use a Ryobi 40V system and my yard is a hilly mess of bermuda grass. In 3 years the original 2.5ah battery has died and I've purchased 2 5ah batteries that make a world of difference in the thatch heavy areas. It's great not having to deal with gas or winterizing or any of the problems that come from using ethanol laced gas.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Uthor posted:

Any suggestions for a battery powered mower?

Been mowing my just under an acre lot with a non-self propelled Ego 21" mower for about a year now. I can do about 75% of my yard on a single charge of the 4.0 AH battery, and the "rapid" charger can put a full charge on the battery in under an hour.

Mower is lighweight (mostly poly construction in the deck) and the handlebar can fold up to reduce the mower's footprint if storage space is a concern. Also uses a single lever to adjust the deck height instead of independent adjustments on all four wheels. My favorite feature is the built-in LED headlights for dusk/night mowing, which is really nice in the middle of the summer. And as with any battery powered mower its much more quiet than a gas powered mower.

Only downside I've really noticed is the side discharge chute leaves a bit to be desired - the mower doesn't have a side opening so the chute clips into the bag discharge and then turns 90 degrees, so while its nice from the standpoint that it doesn't stick out to the side 8-12" it does have a tendency to clog if you run into a particularly heavy patch of grass.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A coworker has been using a Riobi for a couple years and really likes it, small yard though.

Jonny Quest posted:

I use a Ryobi 40V system and my yard is a hilly mess of bermuda grass. In 3 years the original 2.5ah battery has died and I've purchased 2 5ah batteries that make a world of difference in the thatch heavy areas. It's great not having to deal with gas or winterizing or any of the problems that come from using ethanol laced gas.
I guess I've been super lucky with my gas lawnmowers. I do zero winter prep it all. Last mow of the season, I just put it underneath the patio and forget about it, gas and all. This spring I literally primed it twice, pull, fire on first try. My 20 year old B&S 3.5HP Classic is literally unkillable.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

slidebite posted:

I guess I've been super lucky with my gas lawnmowers. I do zero winter prep it all. Last mow of the season, I just put it underneath the patio and forget about it, gas and all. This spring I literally primed it twice, pull, fire on first try. My 20 year old B&S 3.5HP Classic is literally unkillable.

Same. The 40V Ryobi stuff owns for replacing 2 cycle gas engines like weed wackers, hedge trimmers and leaf blowers, but a quality 4 cycle mower doesn't need anything other than a cap of Sta-Bil over the winter and an occasionally oil drain/refill.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I have a recent Honda mower, and jtstarts in the first pull every fuckin' time. I just yesterday fired it up for the first (well overdue) use since October, no Sta-bil or anything, and it ran perfectly. A far cry from the Briggs engines I'm used to.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I have a cheap poo poo no-frills mower with a no-name engine and it doesn't seem to give a poo poo about sitting for 4 months with a mostly empty gas tank with a thin puddle of E10. I understand why some guys go to the trouble to worry about E0 for their dirtbikes, motorcycles, etc., but lawnmowers are not something I can justify hunting down uncut gasoline for.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I’m on the 3rd carburetor in as many years on my John Deere riding mower due to ethanol poo poo clogging them up over winters so I switched to non ethanol gas.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i drained my mower tank, put stabil in and still had trouble starting the fucker up last week.

ended up having to remove the float, look inside and find nothing wrong...and then it started fine.

if i hadn't gotten this mower for free i would have gone electric

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BraveUlysses posted:

i drained my mower tank, put stabil in and still had trouble starting the fucker up last week.

ended up having to remove the float, look inside and find nothing wrong...and then it started fine.

if i hadn't gotten this mower for free i would have gone electric

You mix stabil with your fuel, not replace your fuel with it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I posted this in the other tools thread, but it seems more relevant than ever now. Recommend me a pump/siphon/whatever to drain gas from my snowblower and mower and transfer gear oil to transmissions. I've used those cheap lovely red transfer pumps that always leak and outright fail after a year or two for too long and want something better.

I put stabil in my mower and it cranked right up. Still need to drain the gas on my snowblower since the lovely pump failed last summer which required me putting stabil in the mower. :v:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

:whatup: Wera Buddy

The Tool Check+ has come in super handy so far for tightening up hard to reach hose clamps in the engine bay and getting in other nooks and crannies. The tiny little ratchet is TINY and feels really good. I'm sure there are cheaper options but my feeling is that when you're stuck in a tight space you want something that just works

Larrymer posted:

I posted this in the other tools thread, but it seems more relevant than ever now. Recommend me a pump/siphon/whatever to drain gas from my snowblower and mower and transfer gear oil to transmissions. I've used those cheap lovely red transfer pumps that always leak and outright fail after a year or two for too long and want something better.

I put stabil in my mower and it cranked right up. Still need to drain the gas on my snowblower since the lovely pump failed last summer which required me putting stabil in the mower. :v:

I'm also in the market for one of these. I need to pump some ATF into a transmission with lifetime fluid. I'll be underneath the car so again, I want it to just work

I was looking at something like this

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I think oreillys has them for $7 on the shelf.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Christobevii3 posted:

I think oreillys has them for $7 on the shelf.

They absolutely do, but they're good for maybe one job before they break.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I have a collection of cheap hand pumps from O'Reilly's for different fluids. Yeah, they're cheap, but I've done several transmission drain and refills with one over a period of three years without it breaking or leaking. It's sitting in a zip bag awaiting its next job. They're good for gear oil too, but keeping them around with old moly smell isn't that great.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

slothrop posted:

:whatup: Wera Buddy

The Tool Check+ has come in super handy so far for tightening up hard to reach hose clamps in the engine bay and getting in other nooks and crannies. The tiny little ratchet is TINY and feels really good. I'm sure there are cheaper options but my feeling is that when you're stuck in a tight space you want something that just works

I haven't got it yet but the tiny ratchet does feel like a quality piece of kit. Any reason you didn't choose the colour coded keys?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Larrymer posted:

These pumps tend to be pretty foolproof. You'll want to set it up to let the siphon action do most of the work, but the bulb will suck out the last of the fluid in the tank if you miss it with the siphon.

https://www.amazon.com/GasTapper-Power-Equipment-Model-filter/dp/B00TA5ECJQ/

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

cakesmith handyman posted:

I haven't got it yet but the tiny ratchet does feel like a quality piece of kit. Any reason you didn't choose the colour coded keys?

For whatever reason they were twice the price. I couldn’t see any major difference other than the colour coding so I stuck with the standard ones.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have never winterized my craftsman Briggs riding mower and besides the battery dying every 5 years, it starts on the old gas every year. I use the tru fuel stuff in the micro-engine trimmer and chainsaw.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

These pumps tend to be pretty foolproof. You'll want to set it up to let the siphon action do most of the work, but the bulb will suck out the last of the fluid in the tank if you miss it with the siphon.

https://www.amazon.com/GasTapper-Power-Equipment-Model-filter/dp/B00TA5ECJQ/

Thanks. I'll give this a shot.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

EightBit posted:

I have a collection of cheap hand pumps from O'Reilly's for different fluids. Yeah, they're cheap, but I've done several transmission drain and refills with one over a period of three years without it breaking or leaking. It's sitting in a zip bag awaiting its next job. They're good for gear oil too, but keeping them around with old moly smell isn't that great.

If money is no object there's plenty of high quality hand pumps made and sold to the refrigeration industry (needed for charging oil into large compressors). Check HVAC shops but they're usually more than $100 because you get what you pay for.
A quick alibaba check and ebay and I saw one for US$50, but not familiar with the brand (wasn't a big name refrig tool brand) E: Just looked up the one I got, it's a REFCO 21702 for what it matters.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 10, 2018

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

EightBit posted:

I've given up on pumps and now use a long hose and a funnel.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I use a 30 year old 12v fuel pump that I ripped off an atv

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
cross post from the blacksmithing thread. Wanted to show off my new chuck (and new lathe)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I know it's not a car tool, but, uh, suggestions on a hatchet to split some wood? I only need to break down about a dozen chunks of hickory into something smaller for my smoker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

QuarkMartial posted:

I know it's not a car tool, but, uh, suggestions on a hatchet to split some wood? I only need to break down about a dozen chunks of hickory into something smaller for my smoker.

Harbor Freight for the cheapest one. If you keep using it and like it and want a high-end hatchet, get a Gransfors Bruk Splitting Hatchet https://www.amazon.com/Gransfors-Bruks-441-splitting-hatchet/dp/B000WIV9DW