Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jabor posted:

Should kick out the horses too imo, hikers only

i’d be okay with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
wat
https://twitter.com/substitute/status/993614246922502145

quote:

In 2015, she created a character named “Rococo Basilisk” for a video of her song “Flesh Without Blood.” “I don’t know if you’ve heard of Roko’s Basilisk,” she told Fuse. “[This character] is doomed to be eternally tortured by an artificial intelligence, but she’s also kind of like Marie Antoinette.”

“Elon was researching the idea of joking about Rococo Basilisk, and when he saw Grimes had already joked about it, he reached out to her,” says the insider. “Grimes said this was the first time in three years that anyone understood the joke. They were both poking fun at AI.”

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 8, 2018

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

Elon was researching the idea of joking about Rococo Basilisk, and when he saw Grimes had already joked about it, he reached out to her
jesus christ, that sentence

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i showed you my basilisk answer me

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

what if this relationship was meant to happen and by ridiculing it elon musk will punish you

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
rococo’s modern basilisk

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

President Beep posted:

rococo’s modern basilisk

i would watch the heck out of this

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

for your sake i would hope so

:twisted:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

Should kick out the horses too imo, hikers only

nah any legitimate user should be given access when reasonable

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I can guarantee that people "got it" before ol musky

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Leck posted:

jesus christ, that sentence

maybe they're awkward enough for each other? :shobon:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MononcQc posted:

what if this relationship was meant to happen and by ridiculing it elon musk will punish you

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/maeve_mcdermott/status/993643404671234048

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
suh’ cuute

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

who’s the waiter?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wtf don’t post unmarked Silicon Valley spoilers

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
isnt the met gala another one of those events that have been wrecked by techbros like burning man?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yeah but they were always bad

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

nah any legitimate user should be given access when reasonable

horses aren't legitimate, their owners are even less

lancemantis posted:

isnt the met gala another one of those events that have been wrecked by techbros like burning man?

lol what are you smoking. the event started as a place for the scions of old money to show off their latest designer outfits with some occasional invited guests who weren't already rich as hell, and then some students and designers who weren't rich allowed in as part of the deal

changing the source of the money isn't wrecking it

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
ah now I remember: burning man is where techbros go to pretend to be artists, and the met gala is where they go to pretend to be celebrities

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
called it

the information posted:

Uber Finds Deadly Accident Likely Caused By Software Set to Ignore Objects On Road

The car’s sensors detected the pedestrian, who was crossing the street with a bicycle, but Uber’s software decided it didn’t need to react right away. That’s a result of how the software was tuned. Like other autonomous vehicle systems, Uber’s software has the ability to ignore “false positives,” or objects in its path that wouldn’t actually be a problem for the vehicle, such as a plastic bag floating over a road. In this case, Uber executives believe the company’s system was tuned so that it reacted less to such objects. But the tuning went too far, and the car didn’t react fast enough, one of these people said.

The Uber unit, known as Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), has around 1,500 employees, including plenty of well-regarded engineers, and more than 200 prototype cars. CEO Dara Khosrowshahi said last fall it was an important investment. He added in public comments this year that Uber would partner with other self-driving car developers who would make vehicles available to its riders. “Winning is making sure that we have every single autonomous player plugged into the network...because the network is our business,” he said.

i lust for uber death

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

called it

i lust for uber death

can their technology not, you know, factor in object size in such cases?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

President Beep posted:

can their technology not, you know, factor in object size in such cases?

the tuning is to ignore things that are considered to be false readings

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

move fast break things people

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

the tuning is to ignore things that are considered to be false readings

i’m having a difficult time imagining something human and bicycle sized that wouldn’t cause a problem for a car.

e: really not trying to be a wise rear end here. maybe there’s some common scenario that i just don’t realize

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

President Beep posted:

i’m having a difficult time imagining something human and bicycle sized that wouldn’t cause a problem for a car.

e: really not trying to be a wise rear end here. maybe there’s some common scenario that i just don’t realize

you're right. it is hard to imagine. their system must be exceptionally bad and the onus should be on them to prove otherwise. release the data dara!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I was told this a month ago by someone that works in the AI space, and he heard it from a friend of his. Apparently the object-detection network in a major self-driving car has a known-false positive that reports a pedestrian backing out, and it was such an issue it was causing the car to stop when nothing was there. Often in an unsafe manner. They put another layer of heuristics after the object-detection network to filter out certain "false positive" misclassificatons. I would guess you're seeing the results of that. Somewhere, they had a "pedestrian on a bike" false positive that was causing them to stop uncontrollably, so they put some in some code to ignore it because it was wrong. Oops.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

Elon Fucks

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

I was told this a month ago by someone that works in the AI space, and he heard it from a friend of his. Apparently the object-detection network in a major self-driving car has a known-false positive that reports a pedestrian backing out, and it was such an issue it was causing the car to stop when nothing was there. Often in an unsafe manner. They put another layer of heuristics after the object-detection network to filter out certain "false positive" misclassificatons. I would guess you're seeing the results of that. Somewhere, they had a "pedestrian on a bike" false positive that was causing them to stop uncontrollably, so they put some in some code to ignore it because it was wrong. Oops.

JFC!!! :psyboom:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

“oh man. our robot car keeps imagining that it’s seeing brake lights. gently caress it. welcome to my ignore list.”

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the alternative is coming to a screeching halt in traffic every time a plastic bag or sheet of paper blows across the street

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the alternative is not doing this dumb poo poo because it’s literally killing people

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

if your roadgoing product is designed to ignore things pedestrian shape then it shouldn’t exist

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

the alternative is not doing this dumb poo poo because it’s literally killing people
better shut down human drivers as well because they also make mistakes and run people over :smugmusk:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

President Beep posted:

if your roadgoing product is designed to ignore things pedestrian shape then it shouldn’t exist

but they had a bicycle. so clearly they were a cyclist. dumbass!!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Suspicious Dish posted:

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Suspicious Dish posted:

some earlier version of this reportedly saw fixed road signs as being in the path of the vehicle and would freak out as well

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

what’s next? an autonomous car thinks of a road and dies?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FMguru posted:

the alternative is coming to a screeching halt in traffic every time a plastic bag or sheet of paper blows across the street
or y'know, not drive them on public roads until you can solve that...?

also yes thats preferable

in part bc i lust for uber death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

if you find yourself adding all these bespoke tweaks to your ML network to make the test cases give you the results you want, it's probably time to take a step back and reassess your approach