Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

https://www.instagram.com/mightaswell

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I am continually impressed just how far cell phone cameras have come since I got my first smartphone 7 years ago. Manufacturers are doing amazing things with these tiny sensors.

Edit: vvv Love those colors Clam. Pixel right? vvv

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 7, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^ Yeah buddy, Pixel XL. Took a 3 shot panorama, did some cropping/perspective/lighting adjustments in Lightroom. So stoked at the result of this one!

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 7, 2017

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Untitled
by Kenny Logins, on Flickr

Had my iPhone 8 on me when I found a classic subject.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
IMG_20171007_143315 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

IMG_20171007_143220 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

S7 Edge.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!

Leave it to Arus to murder this thread.

Contribution.
The moon. Phone picture, optics is a Skywatcher 150p

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Those are some drat good phone pics.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pics from a Motorola G2, not the greatest phone camera but not horrible either I suppose.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Same colour scheme as Mightaswell somehow

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

20180202-IMG_20180202_193843-3 by Cacator, on Flickr

Google Pixel 2 XL

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Essential Phone, rooted with the Google Camera mod.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Two pictures from two different snowboard trips, taken with a crappy 70$ phone.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
All my photos have been cell phone photos since I got rid of my D7000. I don't really shoot for taking pretty pictures, mostly just to document what I am doing. It's a Moto G4, sometimes I think the photos come out nice, when there is good lightning and I can keep the camera still they turn out OK, otherwise they quickly goto poo poo.

Like I bought these rasps from portugal

I'm out for a walk

I am making pastrami:

I cooked some rice pudding

We got some snow in october

Stuff like that. I am happy with this phones camera for outdoors stuff, indoors it gets more difficult unless I got massive lightning. I am considering buying a cheap camera again.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Upper Moro Campground at sunrise some weeks ago on a Moto G5 Plus:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I recently got a tripod for my phone to record pool games. It got me thinking maybe I should get a lens upgrade for my phone as well (Galaxy S8). Looking at all the options online, all the lenses appear catered towards photography. Would it be worth it to get a lens for taking videos? What kind of lens would I use to record video in generally dark bars and pool halls, a macro or wide angle?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

bromplicated posted:

I recently got a tripod for my phone to record pool games. It got me thinking maybe I should get a lens upgrade for my phone as well (Galaxy S8). Looking at all the options online, all the lenses appear catered towards photography. Would it be worth it to get a lens for taking videos? What kind of lens would I use to record video in generally dark bars and pool halls, a macro or wide angle?

How dark is dark? If it's really dark, don't use an additional lens as you want as little light loss as possible.

Macro lens would be useless as you're recording a game, not taking still close-up shots.

Wide angle would be the one to pick, if you had to pick one. You're better off with a wide shot where there's less detail than a zoomed-in shot where you're missing action because it's out of the frame.

Don't worry about the photo vs video thing. At the price point and quality level of most add-on phone lenses, the quality is so far below regular photo and video lenses that it won't really matter as long as you don't buy total crap lenses. If anything, photography is more demanding than video since you're looking at a single static image where you can actually study it and see optical flaws versus a moving image. The key is to find a lens that will line up properly with the lens on your phone camera and not have excessive vignetting (dark drop-offs towards the edge of the frame).

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Cool, thank you for the response. I just thought "macro" ='d "big" so it would be for wider angles, but I guess that's for making the image big.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Any kind of wide-angle lens for a cell phone is going to have a poo poo ton of distortion around the edges because it still has to feed the image through the regular camera lens afterwards rather than just projecting an image circle onto the sensor directly. I feel that if you already have a tripod for your phone, the best bet is to figure out a place to put that tripod that gets the whole table in view without putting an additional lens on it. Maybe something like a gorillapod attached to the overhead table light would work? I don't know how wide the camera on an S8 will go.

If you want to go a bit crazier, you can get cages for a cellphone that have accessory mounts on them so you could mount a few LED video lights and/or a microphone onto the cage with the phone in the middle for more light.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Phones already have comically wide angles, the only reason to consider a lens attachment for a phone is for really big zooms or bokeh.

In fact a phone is a really good backup to a DSLR these days. Put your bazooka zoom lens on the big camera and pull out the phone when you need to go wide.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Thank you for the answers, guys. I do notice when I switch from Photo to video mode on my phone it crops the edges a bit and seems to zoom in, and how i have it framed initially isnt as wide an angle as i'd like. Also for such a high resolution, the video comes out a bit granier than I'd expect it to. Usually in these bars, I have to have it set up somewhere pretty close to the pool table, so its hard to set the camera far back enough to get the whole thing in frame, hence my interest in a wider lens. But if you guys say it isnt worth it, id rather save my money.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

bromplicated posted:

Thank you for the answers, guys. I do notice when I switch from Photo to video mode on my phone it crops the edges a bit and seems to zoom in, and how i have it framed initially isnt as wide an angle as i'd like. Also for such a high resolution, the video comes out a bit granier than I'd expect it to. Usually in these bars, I have to have it set up somewhere pretty close to the pool table, so its hard to set the camera far back enough to get the whole thing in frame, hence my interest in a wider lens. But if you guys say it isnt worth it, id rather save my money.

You could always try a cheap add-on lens to see if it's what you're looking for first. The video quality won't be the greatest in the world, but at least you can get started and it'll be a step towards figuring out what you ultimately want.

What you may want to look in to is getting an action camera like a GoPro and mounting it on the lights above the pool table. That way you would get zero obstruction from other objects or people around the table. The key is figuring out what kind of field of view you'll need, which is why dinking around with the cell phone would be good for experimentation.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

thanks for my new background. got a higher res version up anywhere?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

n.. posted:

thanks for my new background. got a higher res version up anywhere?

No worries, that's awesome! Here's the original resolution without crop

https://i.imgur.com/mRp3EvT.jpg

Megabound fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 8, 2018

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Megabound posted:

No worries, that's awesome! Here's the original resolution without crop

https://i.imgur.com/mRp3EvT.jpg

Hey thanks, worked out even better than i thought it would:

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Have a strange but very New England house

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That's awesone n.. I'm really jazzed that someone else likes a photo of mine enough to use it for something. In case you're interested the subject is a Minolta MD 50 mm lens and the reflection is from a Japanese paper window in a traditional ryokan.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Farlm
Jan 8, 2018
Went on a trip to Wales over the weekend. Taken with a Samsung Galaxy A3:

Llyn Llydaw by Farley, on Flickr

Snowdon Peak by Farley, on Flickr

Glaslyn by Farley, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!