Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

jfyi smoka is currently attempting to send me the file, i think, having failed to attach it first and sent me the wrong one next

what year is it supposed to be now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

jfyi smoka is currently attempting to send me the file, i think, having failed to attach it first and sent me the wrong one next

what year is it supposed to be now?
still 2118

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i probably won't be able to complete my turn until tomorrow night if anyone is wondering where the save is

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
now it is the year 2119

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

cheese-cube posted:

ive got formers coming out in a turn or two, can't wait to get my little green bois working :3:

The University has just developed our first Formers (0-0-1 Former), rendering our forces practically invincible.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

if we can find a couple hours where everyone can be available at the same time i think we can load the save as a directplay hotseat multiplayer game and get through some turns at a comparatively blistering rate

i'll send out an email for scheduling (with an extremely generous window) once i figure out if it would actually work

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

if we can find a couple hours where everyone can be available at the same time i think we can load the save as a directplay hotseat multiplayer game and get through some turns at a comparatively blistering rate

i'll send out an email for scheduling (with an extremely generous window) once i figure out if it would actually work

sounds cool i'm down for that availability permitting

just sent the save on, also discovered that we can actually leave chat messages via comm link lol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i really doubt i'd be able to participate in a hot seat session being in europeland and all

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

im in west aus so probably have it worse. still willing to give it a go

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Glorgnole posted:

blasphemy. the beauty of this thread is that it will take a decade for anyone to get beyond fission reactors

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

nerve gas is only a dream in the nerve stapled mind at this point, i doubt we'll ever get there.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

nerve gas is only a dream in the nerve stapled mind at this point, i doubt we'll ever get there.

you'll never silence my dreams!

:allears:

edit: i wonder if it's possible to mod the game so that you can add special abilities to missiles? imagine a planet buster with nerve gas pods and clean reactor

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 11, 2018

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

cheese-cube posted:

you'll never silence my dreams!

:allears:

edit: i wonder if it's possible to mod the game so that you can add special abilities to missiles? imagine a planet buster with nerve gas pods and clean reactor
I think lots of the abilities are restricted by chassis. But I'd imagine with some light XML-ish editing you could give missiles nerve gas pods.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the year is now 2120

i feel like i've explored enough of the map to have run into someone else on accident but i definitely haven't. just worms. horrible worms.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
How many turns until university discovers the "secrets of the human brain"? Then does the pro-move and grabs Centauri Empathy with the free tech?

Then once you have recycling tanks in your bases you can run Green, and amass a mind worm army.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

How many turns until university discovers the "secrets of the human brain"? Then does the pro-move and grabs Centauri Empathy with the free tech?

Then once you have recycling tanks in your bases you can run Green, and amass a mind worm army.

we have random techs so 2050

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Luigi Thirty posted:

You still get the guided tech thing right? In which case you go Green->White->White (secrets)->Green

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I think lots of the abilities are restricted by chassis. But I'd imagine with some light XML-ish editing you could give missiles nerve gas pods.

decided to take a look and it doesn't seem possible with just editing the config files. the chassis types are defined in alpha.txt (base game) / alphax.txt (expansion) files and there's a specific flag that indicates whether a chassis is a missile:

code:
; Chassis
;
; Names..., Speed, Triad, Range, Cargo, Cost, Preq, ...Large names
;
; Names...= First two names used for offensive units.
;           Second two names used for defensive units.
;           M1 = Masculine Singular (For foreign translations)
;           M2 = Masculine Plural
;           (etc. Use F for female, N for neuter)
;
; Speed   = # of moves
; Triad   = Movement (0=Land 1=Sea 2=Air)
; Range   = Range in turns from base (air units only)
; Missile = Chassis is a "missile" (destroyed after attacking)
; Cargo   = # units transported (multiply by reactor rating)
; Cost    = Cost factor of chassis type (normally equal to speed)
; Preq    = Technology required (see TECHNOLOGY)
only the missile chassis type has the missile flag set. if you set the flag to 0 then the chassis is treated like a normal unit and you can set special abilities, armor and even weapons:

however it won't let you select planet buster as the weapon (you click to select it and nothing happens). it appears that there's specific logic in the game that alters things based on whether a chassis is a missile.

you can have some fun if you set other chassis types to missile though:

very dr. strangelove

this mad pursuit aside, there are some easter eggs in the file with the IDs for different techs (most of them are just an abbreviation of the full tech name):

code:
Applied Relativity,         E=Mc2,   1, 3, 2, 0, Super,   Subat,   000000000
Self-Aware Machines,        HAL9000, 0, 4, 3, 3, NewMiss, DigSent, 000000010
String Resonance,           BFG9000, 8, 0, 0, 0, SecMani, ConSing, 000000000

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh boy... i don't mind random tech when playing against the AI, but for mp it just seems too arbitrary. there's just too big a gap between how useful some techs are compared to others

you might get doctrine: air power next turn, OR you might get... some tech so unremarkable that i forgot its name and also it unlocks a whole lot of techs that are also not doctrine: air power

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

oh boy... i don't mind random tech when playing against the AI, but for mp it just seems too arbitrary. there's just too big a gap between how useful some techs are compared to others

you might get doctrine: air power next turn, OR you might get... some tech so unremarkable that i forgot its name and also it unlocks a whole lot of techs that are also not doctrine: air power
that's what alien artifacts and network nodes are for

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Optical Computers.

It could be interesting if the random tech-tree was the same for each faction for MP. So while you may not get doctrine: air-power for a long time, neither will anyone else.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I am the University I am made of network nodes

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

today is the 7 month anniversary of this epic slapfight

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i got the save but it might be a day or two before i'm able to play again, i'll have glorgnole do my turn if it looks bad

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

anthonypants posted:

i got the save but it might be a day or two before i'm able to play again, i'll have glorgnole do my turn if it looks bad

i'll be in the woods for a while longer (very pleasant but only wifi in one spot) but i could do it on monday if it comes to that

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
sorry that took so long i'm good now

the year is now 2121

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it is the future

(for now)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

[video type=""]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=izQB2-Kmiic[/video]

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

who has the save now? I'll check with Smoka once I get internet again.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

not me however i eagerly await it!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

ok, i did smoka's turn so now it's on to sagebrush

for all you folks watching at home, here's the FACTION DOMINANCE PLOT

:popeye:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:eyepoop:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Glorgnole posted:

ok, i did smoka's turn so now it's on to sagebrush

for all you folks watching at home, here's the FACTION DOMINANCE PLOT

:popeye:
from left to right:
pirates (smoka)
gaians (sagebrush)
university (luigi30)
hive (cheese-cube)
drones (imp. lobster)
believers (boiled water)
spartans (anthonypants)

from top to bottom:
pirates/university
hive
spartans
drones
gaians
believers

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anthonypants posted:

from left to right:
pirates (smoka)
gaians (sagebrush)
university (luigi30)
hive (cheese-cube)
drones (imp. lobster)
believers (boiled water)
spartans (anthonypants)

from top to bottom:
pirates/university
hive
spartans
drones
gaians
believers

It should be noted that the main difference between the Pirates and the Gaian's and the believers at this phase of the game is the number of techs and the number of bases. Since I'd reckon 3 techs is the most discovered so far, the Gaian's have 2, and the pirate/university have 3 and probably everyone has 2 bases and 3-4 total pop.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
maybe also number of units? i think that time i dipped in the chart must've been that turn where my rover got murdered by mind worms (rip)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

anthonypants posted:

maybe also number of units? i think that time i dipped in the chart must've been that turn where my rover got murdered by mind worms (rip)

Yes, specifically the "power" of the units, which at this point is dwarfed by number of techs/population.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

please don't allow smoka to win anything. it's just not right

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

anthonypants posted:

from left to right:
pirates (smoka)
gaians (sagebrush)
university (luigi30)
hive (cheese-cube)
drones (imp. lobster)
believers (boiled water)
spartans (anthonypants)

from top to bottom:
pirates/university
hive
spartans
drones
gaians
believers

also here's the part that says who's doing well at what

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

this thread is almost as exciting as watching old people gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Roosevelt posted:

this thread is almost as exciting as watching old people gently caress

That's my fetish, so yea I'm super into it.