Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Suspicious Dish posted:

I was told this a month ago by someone that works in the AI space, and he heard it from a friend of his. Apparently the object-detection network in a major self-driving car has a known-false positive that reports a pedestrian backing out, and it was such an issue it was causing the car to stop when nothing was there. Often in an unsafe manner. They put another layer of heuristics after the object-detection network to filter out certain "false positive" misclassificatons. I would guess you're seeing the results of that. Somewhere, they had a "pedestrian on a bike" false positive that was causing them to stop uncontrollably, so they put some in some code to ignore it because it was wrong. Oops.

so why the gently caress is this a binary on/off instead of judging that it's a safe distance to break and do that just to be safe

like only override if you'd actually have to slam the brakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it’s almost like going straight from the darpa challenge to a commercial product is dumb

like I encounter situations driving on the regular that I don’t see how an autonomous car could solve any better than using the same mental heuristic I do, where being wrong would increase the likelihood of an accident

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
move fast and break things lmao

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Xaris posted:

or y'know, not drive them on public roads until you can solve that...?
absolutely. this poo poo is many many years away from being used on roads where real people exist

its just no matter where you set the sensitivity to things in the road dial you end up creating an unsafe driving situation. either your brake hard for every blowing snowdrift, heat shimmer image, or reflected streetlight, or you run over every pedestrian who doesnt exactly match the outline of the walk/dont walk signal

and the last company who should be on the roads with this poo poo is uber, whose corporate culture is all about cutting corners, evading regulation, and treating fines and judgments as the cost of doing business as fast as possible

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

move fast and break things lmao

wished they had broke lamo instead

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Rex-Goliath posted:

so why the gently caress is this a binary on/off instead of judging that it's a safe distance to break and do that just to be safe

like only override if you'd actually have to slam the brakes

This was a story told over cocktails at a party for game industry nerds. I'm sure it's more complicated than a binary on/off... right? Right guys? Guys, seriously? Wait, you're not joking about them training their object detection neural networks on Unreal Engine 4 renders? What the gently caress?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

I was told this a month ago by someone that works in the AI space, and he heard it from a friend of his. Apparently the object-detection network in a major self-driving car has a known-false positive that reports a pedestrian backing out, and it was such an issue it was causing the car to stop when nothing was there. Often in an unsafe manner. They put another layer of heuristics after the object-detection network to filter out certain "false positive" misclassificatons. I would guess you're seeing the results of that. Somewhere, they had a "pedestrian on a bike" false positive that was causing them to stop uncontrollably, so they put some in some code to ignore it because it was wrong. Oops.

oh so exactly what everyone thought they did, great

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

This was a story told over cocktails at a party for game industry nerds. I'm sure it's more complicated than a binary on/off... right? Right guys? Guys, seriously? Wait, you're not joking about them training their object detection neural networks on Unreal Engine 4 renders? What the gently caress?

real cars are hard and expensive, if we can just do it in videogames we can ~iterate faster~ and be ~agile~

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I also feel it an appropriate time to post this. Don't look down when crossing the street, kids, lest Elon's disaster think you're a pot.

https://twitter.com/dribnet/status/932539829929197568

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Glorgnole posted:

if you find yourself adding all these bespoke tweaks to your ML network to make the test cases give you the results you want, it's probably time to take a step back and reassess your approach

it's almost as if "deep learning" is a brittle, profoundly limited tool which is fundamentally incapable of solving most of the problems startups have been hurling it at.

almost.

imagine if when ELIZA was written the universal reaction was "well poo poo, strong AI is solved. let's replace all doctors with exactly this."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

I also feel it an appropriate time to post this. Don't look down when crossing the street, kids, lest Elon's disaster think you're a pot.

i'd like to think that the synthesized guy is also the platonic ideal of a burrito eater which is why a few different networks tagged it as that too

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

we have lots of publicly available pictures of dogs that we can use to train the vision ai...

*every object is recognised as a dog*

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Internet Janitor posted:

it's almost as if "deep learning" is a brittle, profoundly limited tool which is fundamentally incapable of solving most of the problems startups have been hurling it at.

almost.

imagine if when ELIZA was written the universal reaction was "well poo poo, strong AI is solved. let's replace all doctors with exactly this."

nonsense, of course all we have to do is chant "deep learning" 50,000,000 times and it'll solve itself.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

my bitter bi rival posted:

HERZOG: This man was born with a sickness of the soul.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Tokamak posted:

we have lots of publicly available pictures of dogs that we can use to train the vision ai...

*every object is recognised as a dog*

it's actually advanced enough that it knows "dog" and "not a dog"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i guess the joke about cars running a credit check on you before deciding to brake came true earlier than we expected

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
*computer thinking harder than it ever has in its life*

not hotdog

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

not hotdog

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

lancemantis posted:

ah now I remember: burning man is where techbros go to pretend to be artists, and the met gala is where they go to pretend to be celebrities old money

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

not hotdog

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

not hotdog

lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

not hotdog

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Suspicious Dish posted:

i like how just looking down appears to be just relevant enough to pictures of crossword puzzles for it to appear in the top 5 predictions of 4 of the models on that synthesized example

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

not hotdog

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

by the way, musk's gf is literally the only woman he follows on twitter

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

he follows like four actual people total, though

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

elon is a very normal person

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

hobbesmaster posted:

maybe they're awkward enough for each other? :shobon:

i'm happy they found each other through their common sense of dumb humor

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Musky and Grimey.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

thank you.

i really try to ration out my sompsons jokes. this one was in the queue but im not sure when i would’ve gotten to it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/georgejoseph94/status/993865928608813058

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

cool. good. just really cool and good, apparently we are now living in a goddamn science fiction novel. wonderful.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
what's very tech bubbly is that palantir has even convinced the general population that its some kind of magical system :allears:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

real cars are hard and expensive, if we can just do it in videogames we can ~iterate faster~ and be ~agile~

it's pretty common to run your software in simulations before putting it out in real hardware. I can even see the utility of using a 3d engine for developing basic training sets. the issue would be developing a training set with enough diversity to capture all variations of what a vehicle might encounter on the road

ntsb needs to mandate closed circuit testing where the engineers use themselves as potential road hazards prior to any open-road testing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jenny Agutter posted:

ntsb needs to mandate closed circuit testing where the engineers use themselves as potential road hazards prior to any open-road testing

the future just became more interesting.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

President Beep posted:

the future just became more interesting.

Honestly, since there's no way a programmer is going to be held legally liable, I'm kind of supporting that plan. "You think your poo poo's ready for the real world? We've set up this course and the vehicle will not have anyone inside it. You're the obstacle. Go."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bunni-kat posted:

Honestly, since there's no way a programmer is going to be held legally liable, I'm kind of supporting that plan. "You think your poo poo's ready for the real world? We've set up this course and the vehicle will not have anyone inside it. You're the obstacle. Go."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_47utWAoupo

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

cars come out of the test program remarkably good at avoiding unicycles and roller skaters but classifies anyone walking around not looking at a phone as a no parking sign

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
remember when palantir finally showed what they were working on and it was point-and-click web scraping? lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

remember when palantir finally showed what they were working on and it was point-and-click web scraping? lmao

so that's the secret of monkey island!