Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I’m gonna go refund more posters. I wonder what Valve will give me for JBP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/34900/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Birdstrike posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/242980/Daikatana/

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i'm doing a diploma at tafe atm and it's great. before this i did a bachelor's and a few lower-level certs so i'm used to being the solitary wild-eyed mature age student who lurks in the back corner and harasses the teacher with stupid loving poo poo nobody cares about, but diploma-level tafe is fifteen to twenty wild-eyed mature age students and the teachers are actual professionals in their field who know a ridiculous amount of poo poo and if any of you are doing or contemplating a mature age uni degree i implore you to drop out and do a tafe diploma instead, you learn more and it's way more entertaining

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Bad Chickens: The Chickens Revenge

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

this broken hill posted:

i'm doing a diploma at tafe atm and it's great. before this i did a bachelor's and a few lower-level certs so i'm used to being the solitary wild-eyed mature age student who lurks in the back corner and harasses the teacher with stupid loving poo poo nobody cares about, but diploma-level tafe is fifteen to twenty wild-eyed mature age students and the teachers are actual professionals in their field who know a ridiculous amount of poo poo and if any of you are doing or contemplating a mature age uni degree i implore you to drop out and do a tafe diploma instead, you learn more and it's way more entertaining

If you're not the fat bastard/bitch sitting in the front of the classroom asking your phil 101 prof if the pen on his desk is 'really real', you're doing uni wrong. I completely object to this line of thinking.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
University is good only if it's the University for the Real World.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MWhitbourn/status/993384335087583232

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Knobb Manwich posted:

Bad Chickens: The Chickens Revenge

Farming simulator but I park the truck and just leave it

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

gently caress off whoever bought avs the new avatar. bring back the dancing girls

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What's this in aid of?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/liamvhogan/status/993663159742251008

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

bell jar posted:

gently caress off whoever bought avs the new avatar. bring back the dancing girls
i bought it for myself, bell jar

i need to remember who i really am

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

this broken hill posted:

i bought it for myself, bell jar

i need to remember who i really am

gently caress off, bring back the dancing girls. mods!!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/alexwhitelive/status/993666380246409216

heaps good

quote:

Breaches — either by parties or donors — will be punished with "very substantial penalties", according to Mr Andrews, including fines of up to $44,000 and up to two years' jail, as well as the forfeiture of public funding for recipients equal to twice the value of the non-compliant donation.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 8, 2018

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

gently caress yes

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/chriskkenny/status/993625555340673025

https://twitter.com/PhillipCoorey/status/993662193135632384

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nice, nothing about using your EO's for free labour on election day :discourse:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
more deets

quote:

Limit donations to political parties, associated entities and third party campaigners to $4000 over a four-year parliamentary term;
Require the disclosure of every donation of more than $1000 per financial year, down from the current $13,500;
Ban donations from foreign sources; and,
Require the Victorian Electoral Commission to publish "online in real-time" every reportable donation.

victoria best state. A good step towards totally scrapping political donations all together.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
VEC gonna be busy

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

Blamestorm posted:

This is very confusing. How does a tax cut help Dave employ more people? Wages are expenses deducted pre-tax from revenue and are unaffected by the level of the tax rate. Can you expand on this?

Post tax profits can either be reinvested as capital expenditure (retained profits) or distributed to stakeholders as dividends, they won’t affect wages or new hires as those are normal business expenses...unless you are talking about attractiveness to external investors to source more capital? And in which case, doesn’t dividend imputation mean that it’s irrelevant for local investors? Help me out here...

I want to write a long response but I’m on my phone and I don’t see myself opening a laptop to do it.

Hiring new employees isn’t just about the wages; transport, equipment, clothing/PPE, training and other overheads are direct costs. By giving tax breaks to small companies (<$2m) you give them the ability to invest more and grow faster. Most small companies working in the trades (and I’m sure other industries) would be limited more by these costs than by anything else.

PS. Cafes don’t work for this example. Nor do most shop-front businesses.

*edit* Lets use a real world example for my point. The big building companies in Sydney seriously struggle with tradesmen. There’s a lot of smaller trades companies that are so busy, they have no capacity to take more work, if costs were solely wage related, they’d hire more people and take on more work which pays the wages. That means there’s 2 possible causes, not enough qualified people OR not enough money to hire qualified people.

As a guide, Immigration’s Skilled Occupation List does not include builders or bricklayers on their list. This would suggest there are enough around to cover the workload without bringing people from overseas.

Pinball Jizzard fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 8, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/NickMcKim/status/993755056578052097
....cool :cripes:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Pinball Jizzard posted:

I want to write a long response but I’m on my phone and I don’t see myself opening a laptop to do it.

Hiring new employees isn’t just about the wages; transport, equipment, clothing/PPE, training and other overheads are direct costs. By giving tax breaks to small companies (<$2m) you give them the ability to invest more and grow faster. Most small companies working in the trades (and I’m sure other industries) would be limited more by these costs than by anything else.

*edit* Lets use a real world example for my point. The big building companies in Sydney seriously struggle with tradesmen. There’s a lot of smaller trades companies that are so busy, they have no capacity to take more work, if costs were solely wage related, they’d hire more people and take on more work which pays the wages. That means there’s 2 possible causes, not enough qualified people OR not enough money to hire qualified people.

As a guide, Immigration’s Skilled Occupation List does not include builders or bricklayers on their list. This would suggest there are enough around to cover the workload without bringing people from overseas.

You didn't answer his question

He asked how a pre-tax expense is affected by the tax rate in any way.
Literally all of the things you listed are not affected by tax rates one bit because if they were spent that money would no longer be profit and therefore not taxed

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

this broken hill posted:

I'm actually interested in this, what did you do if you don't mind me asking and also what would you recommend? I'm not mature age or anything (27 :toot:) but I am definitely older than usual.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Pinball Jizzard posted:

The assumption that cutting taxes increases investment is predicated on the fact that there is demand for productive investment that the extra capital will fill.

The LNP believes that demand is always elastic and you only need to care about supply.

Both of these claims are false.

The idea that the only or best way for SMEs to get capital for growth is from tax cuts is absurd.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Blamestorm posted:

This is very confusing. How does a tax cut help Dave employ more people? Wages are expenses deducted pre-tax from revenue and are unaffected by the level of the tax rate. Can you expand on this?

Post tax profits can either be reinvested as capital expenditure (retained profits) or distributed to stakeholders as dividends, they won’t affect wages or new hires as those are normal business expenses...unless you are talking about attractiveness to external investors to source more capital? And in which case, doesn’t dividend imputation mean that it’s irrelevant for local investors? Help me out here...

The answe is quite simple. They are telling you untrue things to try and decieve you.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

This is good, I wonder how they'll gently caress it u...

nevermind

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
In an extremely van badpost:

Actually Peter Dutton is cool and good, gently caress the greens, they are seditionists and traitors

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

this broken hill posted:

if any of you are doing or contemplating a mature age uni degree i implore you to drop out and do a tafe diploma instead, you learn more and it's way more entertaining
Cool! Which TAFEs teach quantum physics?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Before Times posted:

gently caress yes

I can't wait to see the Vic Lib Mormon Party platform against this. "A bad donation is a little like a bad father..."

Decayed
Dec 30, 2004

Shang-a-lang
Fun Shoe
the lurking budget watchers have logged on

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I wonder why after all these years they haven’t made HECS repayments based off household income.

I know guys on high incomes who have paid off their HECS and their partner stays at home or works part time under the repayment threshold.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:five:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hmmmmm

A Liberal Government... announcing anti-phoenix measures?

I'll believe it when I see it lol.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Did Scott Morrison just announce an Australian Space Agency?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
From the Guardian live feed:

6. Cuts to the ABC. Again. To help fund a Captain Cook statue in Scott Morrison’s electorate.

It’s buried as an ‘indexation cut’ but it’s there. “In order to ensure the ABC continues to find back-office efficiencies the government will pause indexation of the ABC’s operational funding”. That will save $83.7m over three years, from 2019 and maintain the organisation’s base operational funding at 2018 levels. In a fun fact, that money will be directed to “other Communications and the Arts portfolio priorities” (as well as to broader budget repair). But in a quite handy quirk of the budget book, on the page before, we see the 250th anniversary of James Cook’s voyage is to be commemorated with a $25 million statue (as part of a wider $48.7 million package also including consultation with indigenous communities and an educational component), which is to be partly funded by the department of Communications and the Arts. It is to sit in Botany Bay. Which sits in Morrison’s electorate.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
How the gently caress does a statue cost $25 million?

And how long till Fuhrer Dutton rounds us all up?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

quote:

The Chaplaincy program is now permanently extended: with a focus on anti-bullying measures.

loving hey, we have to give priests more access to kids, not like we've got some sort of commission on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
clawing $2bn out of r&d deductions hahaha sure

• Locked thread