Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I have a gallon of 50% H202 in my freezer, and can confirm that, even at its relatively low concentration, it will burn you just like any acid. I use it to clean metal parts of any organic matter. 90% H202, which is what's normally used as rocket oxidizer/fuel must be horrifying to work with.

poo poo dude 50? We don't go above 30% in my little world of computer hardware manufacturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
And buying 50% probably gets you put on a list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRslJ6-ut4k

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 8, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dang that looks like legit awesome fun

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/IW6r47V.mp4

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Mustached Demon posted:

poo poo dude 50? We don't go above 30% in my little world of computer hardware manufacturing.

Phanatic posted:

And buying 50% probably gets you put on a list.

https://youtu.be/yRslJ6-ut4k

I had a research lab chemist order it for me. A couple of years ago, I was looking at building a biprop rocket engine that utilized 50% HTP and gasoline.

http://home.total.net/launch/

I never got the time to do it, so I was stuck with the H202. As I said, it's a marvelous cleaner for things if you want to remove all traces of organic material. 50% HTP is a far better carburetor cleaner than anything else on the market.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

EoRaptor posted:

Chlorine Triflouride would like to have a word with you. It's outside, on the giant pile of burning asbestos.

They managed to synthesize chlorine pentafloride, which will do interesting things, like florinate gold, and occasionally the Nobel gasses. From a purely analytic chemistry standpoint, it was the best possible oxidizer. The downside, the huge quantity of hilarious fluorinated RP1 exhaust put a bit of a damper on it.

IPCRESS posted:

What if my degreasing procedure is to hose stuff down with LOX?

Brought to you by the same lads who decided using a lighter to check inside the used gasoline tanker cars was a bright idea.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I have a gallon of 50% H202 in my freezer, and can confirm that, even at its relatively low concentration, it will burn you just like any acid. I use it to clean metal parts of any organic matter. 90% H202, which is what's normally used as rocket oxidizer/fuel must be horrifying to work with.

H2O2 is great because it can readily catalyze itself into O2 and 700C steam, catalysts include fire retardant clothing, humans, asphalt, and most forms of greases and oils. It also has a very strong bleaching effect. One of these days someone is gonna convince the smarter ever day dude, or the high speed camera guys to play around with bits of meat and 90% H2O2, and it'll be glorious.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

noble

Because they're snobs and won't react

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

H2O2 is great because it can readily catalyze itself into O2 and 700C steam, catalysts include fire retardant clothing, humans, asphalt, and most forms of greases and oils. It also has a very strong bleaching effect. One of these days someone is gonna convince the smarter ever day dude, or the high speed camera guys to play around with bits of meat and 90% H2O2, and it'll be glorious.

Yep. I treat the 50% H202 as if it were Aqua Regia. It can turn nasty on you really fast.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GotLag posted:

noble

Because they're snobs and won't react

I am irate, irate I tell you, that autocorrect has led me astray once more!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yep. I treat the 50% H202 as if it were Aqua Regia. It can turn nasty on you really fast.

It's ability to foam up almost instantly to 50x it's original volume is always an eye opener to see in person.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 8, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

IPCRESS posted:

What if my degreasing procedure is to hose stuff down with LOX?

Not a fan of the fishy smell it leaves.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

chitoryu12 posted:

:golfclap:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

chitoryu12 posted:

nice

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bah, it's sped up. At normal speed it's fine.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Waiting for the bus in Alaska?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Bunni-kat posted:

Bah, it's sped up. At normal speed it's fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzG3JXzjILE

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

"I'll pick you up but I'm late already, I'm just gonna cruise by."

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Just guessing, but based on the design of the grate, I expect that is an underground utility vault of some sort, not a storm drain.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I swear to god the upper part of the image looks like it's moving. drat these eyes.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK8UIGkzsf8

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

They managed to synthesize chlorine pentafloride, which will do interesting things, like florinate gold, and occasionally the Nobel gasses. From a purely analytic chemistry standpoint, it was the best possible oxidizer. The downside, the huge quantity of hilarious fluorinated RP1 exhaust put a bit of a damper on it.

New jersey has a fact sheet on it here. Supposedly its used in pulp bleaching. Why do I not believe em? I'm fairly sure it won't just bleach the pulp, but also cause a strongly exothermic reaction.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ak Gara posted:

Just once in my life I want to see what a nuclear salt rocket would look like in real life. You know, 2 subcritical liquid radioactive salt tanks pumped into a single chamber, causing a continuous sustained nuclear explosion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_salt-water_rocket

The design and calculations discussed above are using 20 percent enriched Uranium salts, however, it would be plausible to use another design which would be capable of achieving much higher exhaust velocities (4,700 km/s) and use 2,700 tonnes of highly enriched uranium salts in water to propel a 300 tonne spacecraft up to 3.6% of the speed of light.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Locator posted:

Just guessing, but based on the design of the grate, I expect that is an underground utility vault of some sort, not a storm drain.

Why on earth would they top it with a grate instead of something solid?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why on earth would they top it with a grate instead of something solid?
Ventilation? :shrug:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Ventilation? :shrug:

You are correct. Underground transformers for example, generate a lot of heat, so they can't really stick them in a small space without ventilation. The vault would have some sort of drainage built in. If it was a telecom/cable type vault it would likely have a solid cover, but they aren't waterproof either and in heavy rain would fill with water anyway, so the type of cover doesn't really matter except for keeping people from dropping stupid crap into it like it's a trash can.

Based purely upon that picture, that cover is a split cover with hinges on either side (meaning it's designed to allow regular access), whereas a storm drain would have a solid cover that was bolted down with no hinges.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I've seen several storm drains bump up above ground level (and thus become useless), the process is along the lines of "the soft dirt of the surrounding area erodes/sinks, the concrete/steel drain doesn't"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

thanks to https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rx57jVGfso i know he's boarding incorrectly :eng101:

(also the fact that the entire platform accidentally scoots back and forth a couple times while he's on the end and you can see him wobble to keep his balance is pretty :stonk: in and of itself)

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I never got the time to do it, so I was stuck with the H202. As I said, it's a marvelous cleaner for things if you want to remove all traces of organic material. 50% HTP is a far better carburetor cleaner than anything else on the market.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

In what year did you learn to type? I am legitimately curious.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Evilreaver posted:

I've seen several storm drains bump up above ground level (and thus become useless), the process is along the lines of "the soft dirt of the surrounding area erodes/sinks, the concrete/steel drain doesn't"

I worked a few times at a grocery store meat department where the drain was raised like that, the foundation had settled some over the years but the pipe somehow didn't. It was a pain in the rear end squeegeeing the water up a little incline into the drain after cleaning up.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nope.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

I worked a few times at a grocery store meat department where the drain was raised like that, the foundation had settled some over the years but the pipe somehow didn't. It was a pain in the rear end squeegeeing the water up a little incline into the drain after cleaning up.

That happens a lot with poured concrete floors. Unless you plan for some settling, the drain ends up the highest point on the floor.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Is that rated for 3 people?

How?

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

One in each corner?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Ok what drat tags do you use to post this poo poo? I had a webm that I uploaded to imgur and got a mp4 link but it doesn't matter if I make it a [url] [img] or [video] poo poo doesn't play. I'm too old for this new-fangled internet apparently.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Groda posted:

In what year did you learn to type? I am legitimately curious.

Yeah, I just noticed that those were zeros, too. I have no idea why I did that. Hey what can I say it was before I had my coffee this morning. To answer your question though, I'm pretty sure it was 8th grade. 1977. Yeah, I'm :corsair:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

ChesterJT posted:

Ok what drat tags do you use to post this poo poo? I had a webm that I uploaded to imgur and got a mp4 link but it doesn't matter if I make it a [url] [img] or [video] poo poo doesn't play. I'm too old for this new-fangled internet apparently.

:ssh: don't tag anything and make sure Automatically parse URL is checked below your post and lowtax will do it for you

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Dillbag posted:

:ssh: don't tag anything and make sure Automatically parse URL is checked below your post and lowtax will do it for you

https://i.imgur.com/OXzvZEY.mp4

Thanks stranger! And thank you cripple Lowtax for your magic internet!

I don't know how old this is but I applaud his grip.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah that video of the pilot getting onto the ship is clearly something they do all the time, but considering the consequences for loving up I thought it was pretty thread-appropriate.

New Civil Defense map from the Leilani Estates from about 15 minutes ago, so 2pm Tuesday local time.

Fissures 11, 12, 13 and 14 are new. 13 and 14 being new has put paid to the thought that the fissure track would move southwest and that would mean the early fissures to the north would close up. It could also mean that the people in the northeast section of the Estates between Pohoiki Road and Hinalo Street are going to lose their houses as well :smith:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

(also the fact that the entire platform accidentally scoots back and forth a couple times while he's on the end and you can see him wobble to keep his balance is pretty :stonk: in and of itself)

They're scooting it around intentionally, not accidentally. That "wobble" is him using his body to slide it closer, and then further away, from the side of the ship.
You can scoot a run around on an uncarpeted floor like that. Or scoot an office chair around without putting your feet on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MisterOblivious posted:

They're scooting it around intentionally, not accidentally. That "wobble" is him using his body to slide it closer, and then further away, from the side of the ship.
You can scoot a run around on an uncarpeted floor like that. Or scoot an office chair around without putting your feet on the ground.

alright that's slightly less stonkworthy

it just looked like the guy holding it in place wasn't doing a very good job of it