Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Araenna posted:

Yeah we're all the IOSM arguing about a 20 year old video game. Let's instead take a dive into the world of r/gendercritical

Imagine hating anyone so much you can't eat ice cream that reminds you of them. Like, I hate Putin but I'm not gonna stop drinking White Russians.

I love people whose lives are so not controlled by gender politics, but they can't avoid getting upset about perceived slights in everyday poo poo. And they're almost invariably the same types of people who complain about "snowflakes' getting "triggered".

Push El Burrito posted:

The only good video game was Donkey Kong Country.

Edit: nevermind I forgot about Cyborg Justice.

Donkey Kong Country 2 was better anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, I would too! What a terrorist, querying me as to my unassailable assertion!!!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

SpacePig posted:

I love people whose lives are so not controlled by gender politics, but they can't avoid getting upset about perceived slights in everyday poo poo. And they're almost invariably the same types of people who complain about "snowflakes' getting "triggered".

Donkey Kong Country 2 was better anyway.

Sure, but if you don’t like Donkey Kong Country, you’re stupid.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I actually really dislike how it controls, fight me. Also barrel cannon levels can go to hell

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I hope they make a modern sequel where Donkey Kong has breast cancer.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Tardcore posted:

I actually really dislike how it controls, fight me. Also barrel cannon levels can go to hell

This is actually part of why 2 is better. The controls are improved and the backgrounds are a bit brighter and less muddy. Diddy moves quickly but responsively, and Dixie is a bit friendlier to people that are bad at platforming because she falls slower, and if you're good with both of them, those abilities help you find secret stuff. Can't say the removed barrel cannon levels, but I don't mind them personally.

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Poops Mcgoots posted:

It's cause they're lovely people who can't possibly fathom being even slightly decent without ulterior motives.

I kind of feel like anything that isn't concrete kindness to concrete people is questionable, and even then if it involves anything showy or presumptuous (like social media) it's questionable. Doesn't mean it's not kindness, it's just questionable, since there are conceivable benefits to be obtained by the person doing the act. Such as people defending them from anyone who would dare question them.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tiresias2 posted:

I kind of feel like anything that isn't concrete kindness to concrete people is questionable, and even then if it involves anything showy or presumptuous (like social media) it's questionable. Doesn't mean it's not kindness, it's just questionable, since there are conceivable benefits to be obtained by the person doing the act. Such as people defending them from anyone who would dare question them.

Please tell us more about the questionable motives behind expressing wanting to play as a woman in a video game, as well as the conceivable benefits to be obtained by the person doing the act.

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Please tell us more about the questionable motives behind expressing wanting to play as a woman in a video game, as well as the conceivable benefits to be obtained by the person doing the act.

Ingratiation with a group.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I know that's insulting, but it's true.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Tiresias2 posted:

Every act has a benefit to the doer, be it an increase in a feeling of self-worth, increased standing in a desirable social group, or physical and material gains. Your point is stupid, you're stupid, and you should feel bad.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Tiresias2 posted:

This'll be good. :allears:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tiresias2 posted:

So people claim to want to play a woman in videogames to...ingratiate themselves with a group of people who want to play as women in videogames? My stars, the extent of vile calumny on display!

Tiresias2 posted:

A reward for pro-social behavior isn't a reflection of babby's first "altruism is a lie" thoughts, its literally how society organizes to encourage more behavior that benefits the whole. But congratulations, I was maybe 13 when I came up with the idea that altruism doesn't exist. It took a whole two years for me to get over that one, so maybe you'll get there some day sweetie.

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bunni-kat posted:

Every act has a benefit to the doer, be it an increase in a feeling of self-worth, increased standing in a desirable social group, or physical and material gains. Your point is stupid, you're stupid, and you should feel bad.

Excepting self-harm. You mean every act that is beneficial to others is beneficial to the doer?

In that sense it's a good point, but, I'd maintain, questionable. Serious question: Is there no such thing as selfless disinterest? What does that even mean?

For example, a given person might do something with no thought to themselves and yet still accrue benefits to themselves for doing so. They might also commit some act with no thought to themselves and accrue no benefit from doing so.

Yet, how can we know unless we couldn't possibly know of the act's existence, and that the kind of act committed is not such that could lead to any kind of material, mental or social benefit? Is such an act even conceivable?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
So who are you ingratiating yourself with right now?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

The types of douchebags who accuse people of virtue signalling, clearly

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

It's conceivable that with you guys, and with anyone that reads this thread. However, I can't read your mind(s).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tiresias2 posted:

Excepting self-harm. You mean every act that is beneficial to others is beneficial to the doer?
Self-harm can provide emotional benefits to the person doing them. That their cost/benefit analyses aren't congruous with others' doesn't change that fact.

Tiresias2 posted:

It's conceivable that with you guys, and with anyone that reads this thread. However, I can't read your mind(s).
So you're just showing up defending people who cry about virtue-signaling because you think it'll make us like you, and not just because you're a douchebag?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

But congratulations, I was maybe 13 when I came up with the idea that altruism doesn't exist. It took a whole two years for me to get over that one, so maybe you'll get there some day sweetie.

I have a 30+ year old acquaintance who thinks all charity is stupid because it makes the charitable feel good, it's embarrassingly stupid when he brings it up. I'm not sure how people miss the mark by such a wide margin.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Tiberius Thyben posted:

If the next Donkey Kong Country doesn't have voice acting, I'm going to commit suicide.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

SpacePig posted:

This is actually part of why 2 is better. The controls are improved and the backgrounds are a bit brighter and less muddy. Diddy moves quickly but responsively, and Dixie is a bit friendlier to people that are bad at platforming because she falls slower, and if you're good with both of them, those abilities help you find secret stuff. Can't say the removed barrel cannon levels, but I don't mind them personally.

So what you're telling me is you're not good enough to get through DK1 and defeat King K. Rool so you go with the watered down baby version with bright colors? Sorry, this is the real world, when your banana hoard is stolen you need to buckle down and get it back by any means necessary.

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ravenfood posted:

Self-harm can provide emotional benefits to the person doing them. That their cost/benefit analyses aren't congruous with others' doesn't change that fact.

So you're just showing up defending people who cry about virtue-signaling because you think it'll make us like you, and not just because you're a douchebag?

That too is interesting. Though it seems counter to the notion of 'self-harm' in a literal or absolute sense.

It is conceivable, though I do not perceive any such intention in my mind. It seems likely that wanting people who are rude to me to like me would consist in 'people-pleasing', which is undesirable to me at this moment. That said, what I call "rudeness" or personal remarks, seems to be an essential factor in this discussion, so in order for it to continue with any purpose I propose we discuss what constitutes "defending someone", as opposed to debating an idea for example, and what a "douchebag" is.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Altruism is an evolutionary advantage to any social animal. The smartest sociopaths figure out that even if they don't personally care about other people, if they act like they do then the group will reward them, but it goes beyond personal reward. Altruistic behaviour benefits the group as a whole, increasing survivability and happiness for everyone. If the group is strong and you've helped when you could, you'll have support when you need it. If you don't play along with the social rules for niceness, people will eventually exclude you.

I recall reading a study that was done with rats. A rat was presented with two doors that could only be opened from their side. Behind one was a pile of chocolate chips, and behind the other was a trapped rat (variable: known to them or a stranger). They could see/smell/hear what was behind each door. The choice presented is simple: rescue the other rat first and share the delicious treat, or eat all the chocolate themselves and then save the other rat, or not at all. Overwhelmingly, the rats generally chose to help the other rats first, less often if it was a stranger, even if they themselves got less chocolate as a result. Rats are very social, and the strength of the colony is important.

And if you can't grasp this, you are dumber and more of an rear end in a top hat than a rat.

(But I like rats.)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Push El Burrito posted:

So what you're telling me is you're not good enough to get through DK1 and defeat King K. Rool so you go with the watered down baby version with bright colors? Sorry, this is the real world, when your banana hoard is stolen you need to buckle down and get it back by any means necessary.

Excuse me friend, but I did not say I couldn't beat the first Donkey Kong Country. I will not stand for this slander. Just that the 2nd was better because of improved controls, and obstacles that were easier to see. Bright, baby DKC is 3, and even that is still a lot of fun. Sorry i just want people to be included in the joy of the Donkey Kong Country world.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

RoboRodent posted:

(But I like rats.)
Okay, but how do you feel about snakes?

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

RoboRodent posted:

Altruism is an evolutionary advantage to any social animal. The smartest sociopaths figure out that even if they don't personally care about other people, if they act like they do then the group will reward them, but it goes beyond personal reward. Altruistic behaviour benefits the group as a whole, increasing survivability and happiness for everyone. If the group is strong and you've helped when you could, you'll have support when you need it. If you don't play along with the social rules for niceness, people will eventually exclude you.

I recall reading a study that was done with rats. A rat was presented with two doors that could only be opened from their side. Behind one was a pile of chocolate chips, and behind the other was a trapped rat (variable: known to them or a stranger). They could see/smell/hear what was behind each door. The choice presented is simple: rescue the other rat first and share the delicious treat, or eat all the chocolate themselves and then save the other rat, or not at all. Overwhelmingly, the rats generally chose to help the other rats first, less often if it was a stranger, even if they themselves got less chocolate as a result. Rats are very social, and the strength of the colony is important.

And if you can't grasp this, you are dumber and more of an rear end in a top hat than a rat.

(But I like rats.)

I think the axis of the discussion revolves around what this "caring for people" is, or what it seems in your mind, or language, distinguishes an ordinary mind from a "sociopath" mind.

I, personally, don't care for people. (Edit: By which I mean I neither seek their company, am interested in their personal lives, nor desire their aid in any given circumstance if it is at all avoidable.) But I do what it is I consider kind to others, which I do my best to critically inform through the opinions of others, if I conclude that it will be no great hindrance for me to do so. Then the debate with myself takes center around what is considered "a great hindrance", or not, which depends on a variety of factors from moment to moment, chief among them my goals in life.

Tiresias2 has a new favorite as of 15:50 on May 8, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

theshim posted:

Okay, but how do you feel about snakes?

Snakes REALLY like rats. Or is it mice...

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Snakes REALLY like rats. Or is it mice...

Snakes are good. Snakes gotta eat.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Waterbed Wendy posted:

I have a 30+ year old acquaintance who thinks all charity is stupid because it makes the charitable feel good, it's embarrassingly stupid when he brings it up. I'm not sure how people miss the mark by such a wide margin.

Charities in practice are a way for the wealthy to alleviate their guilt. A lot of big name charities are basically scams that do the barest minimum to not be legally fraudulent, and even those that aren't spend a majority of their budget on marketing (by necessity).

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tiresias2 posted:

I think the axis of the discussion revolves around what this "caring for people" is, or what it seems in your mind, or language, distinguishes an ordinary mind for a "sociopath" mind.

I, personally, don't care for people. But I do what it is I consider kind to others, which I do my best to critically inform through the opinion's of others, if I conclude that it will be no great hindrance for me to do so. Then the debate with myself takes center around what is considered "a great hindrance", or not, which depends on a variety of factors from moment to moment, chief among them my goals in life.

when will you be returning to your homeworld to report on the development of our species?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Tiresias2 posted:

Self-harm releases endorphens and helps the harmer feel they have a sense of control. The brain is also a gating mechanism, and physical pain can crowd out mental pain.

You have no idea about philosophy, do you?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

MizPiz posted:

Charities in practice are a way for the wealthy to alleviate their guilt. A lot of big name charities are basically scams that do the barest minimum to not be legally fraudulent, and even those that aren't spend a majority of theor budget on marketing (by necessity).

lol yeah that's a point often brought up by my acquaintance. a real gem.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MizPiz posted:

Charities in practice are a way for the wealthy to alleviate their guilt. A lot of big name charities are basically scams that do the barest minimum to not be legally fraudulent, and even those that aren't spend a majority of their budget on marketing (by necessity).

Goodwill is an elaborate tax dodge the middle class uses to get rid of old stuff.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tiresias2 posted:

I think the axis of the discussion revolves around what this "caring for people" is, or what it seems in your mind, or language, distinguishes an ordinary mind from a "sociopath" mind.

I, personally, don't care for people. (Edit: By which I mean I neither seek their company, am interested in their personal lives, nor desire their aid in any given circumstance if it is at all avoidable.) But I do what it is I consider kind to others, which I do my best to critically inform through the opinions of others, if I conclude that it will be no great hindrance for me to do so. Then the debate with myself takes center around what is considered "a great hindrance", or not, which depends on a variety of factors from moment to moment, chief among them my goals in life.
#im14andthisisdeep

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Charity is bad, there should only be The State.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Waterbed Wendy posted:

lol yeah that's a point often brought up by my acquaintance. a real gem.

So then how's he wrong?

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bunni-kat posted:

Self-harm releases endorphens and helps the harmer feel they have a sense of control. The brain is also a gating mechanism, and physical pain can crowd out mental pain.

You have no idea about philosophy, do you?

My education with regards to philosophy is mostly historical in nature. Oriented towards Europe, so far, starting with the Pre-Socratics and ending in Hegel. The middle ages, late antiquity and the renaissance I know about mostly through secondary sources. I am most fond of the works that touch on subjects of skepticism and faith such as those by Sextus Empiricus, Saint Augustine, Descartes, Malebranche, David Hume and Thomas Reid. Though I am very fond of Plato and Aristotle and Kant and Hegel as well.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

No no no, other people irrationally follow social hierarchies, whereas I kindly but dispassionately consider what is optimal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MizPiz posted:

There’s a difference between charitable organization and the act of charity itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Tiresias2 posted:

That too is interesting. Though it seems counter to the notion of 'self-harm' in a literal or absolute sense.

It is conceivable, though I do not perceive any such intention in my mind. It seems likely that wanting people who are rude to me to like me would consist in 'people-pleasing', which is undesirable to me at this moment. That said, what I call "rudeness" or personal remarks, seems to be an essential factor in this discussion, so in order for it to continue with any purpose I propose we discuss what constitutes "defending someone", as opposed to debating an idea for example, and what a "douchebag" is.

This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever read and I feel dumber for having read it.

"forsooth my good fellow what doth be "douchebag""