Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

Because dudes twenty years ago never hit risky shots?

Read closer. I'm saying these rules are NOT the source of pace of play problems. Pace of play has been getting worse for other reasons. So, yeah, you've made my point for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

torgeaux posted:

Read closer. I'm saying these rules are NOT the source of pace of play problems. Pace of play has been getting worse for other reasons. So, yeah, you've made my point for me.

You said course management is the largest problem in pace of play, I’m saying course management of golfers probably hasn’t changed much in the last few decades so how is that causing slower rounds than in the past?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
No, you referred to risky shots, so i didnt get your point.

Courses have shortened the gap in tee times and jammed more players on. It's also less likely for marshals to really move golfers along. In the time i played at my last course, over 10 years, they went from 4 to 415 to 430 recommended pace of play with no change to the physical course. Marshals used to be on players, pushing hard, you never see that now.

Edit: heres a 2014 article on pace issues. https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-real-cause-of-slow-play-is

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 3, 2018

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Green speeds are also nuts compared to even the 80's (when I started playing this dumb game) and it takes 10 min for groups to get off these huge, undulating modern greens in under 4 putts in our tournaments too. :corsair:

Marshals can yell all they want, but there is usually nowhere to go.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

torgeaux posted:

No, you referred to risky shots, so i didnt get your point.

Courses have shortened the gap in tee times and jammed more players on. It's also less likely for marshals to really move golfers along. In the time i played at my last course, over 10 years, they went from 4 to 415 to 430 recommended pace of play with no change to the physical course. Marshals used to be on players, pushing hard, you never see that now.

Edit: heres a 2014 article on pace issues. https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-real-cause-of-slow-play-is

Okay I see the confusion. “Course management” typically means the strategy golfers use when playing a round of golf, IE trying to cut corners, carry water hazards, attempt risky recovery shots instead of safe punch-outs, etc. You were talking about literally how golf courses are being managed. I agree with you.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

Okay I see the confusion. “Course management” typically means the strategy golfers use when playing a round of golf, IE trying to cut corners, carry water hazards, attempt risky recovery shots instead of safe punch-outs, etc. You were talking about literally how golf courses are being managed. I agree with you.

Jesus...you're right. I use course management in the way you thought in this thread all the time. My bad.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Shrapnig posted:

12:50 EST, that's very much "or so" for PST.

I meant EST. :p

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

welp, first time out this year I played like garbage, but in a scramble it was enough to almost win. Had I not lipped two birdie puts...

Need more range time

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is it detrimental to Tigers rounding back into form to keep the same schedule he had when he was on top of the world? Seems that he needs as many professional rounds as his body can handle in order to catch up with the pack.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Waltzing Along posted:

Is it detrimental to Tigers rounding back into form to keep the same schedule he had when he was on top of the world? Seems that he needs as many professional rounds as his body can handle in order to catch up with the pack.

It's not like he's going to be competitive like he was 10 years ago. He's old now.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

He said something interesting about his putting, which has been abysmal this week, in that he putts a lot of putts from memory. Quail Hollow has redone their greens twice in the last three years and he hadn't played there since 2012 or 13.

Should be interesting to see next week too since I believe Sawgrass totally redid their greens after The Players in 2016.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Makes sense. Also, the faster the greens are, the better he scores.

I expect more out of him for the Players, but he's benefited from his putting memory over his career because he (usually) only plays courses where he's experienced success.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

Makes sense. Also, the faster the greens are, the better he scores.

I expect more out of him for the Players, but he's benefited from his putting memory over his career because he (usually) only plays courses where he's experienced success.

It's interesting that he's (only) won The Players twice and that was 12 years apart. It's tough to say he's struggled at that course when he's never missed a cut there but the guy has only missed 18 cuts in his career which quite honestly may be a more impressive stat than any of his others.

It's one of those stats that need be put into perspective really. Spieth has missed 18 cuts in his career, he's 18 years younger than Tiger. Phil has missed 82 cuts in his career.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Bloody hell what a shot from J Day on 17

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Another top 5 for Phil. Shot lights out for one day, and ok today, but Thurs/Fri killed him.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Halo14 posted:

Bloody hell what a shot from J Day on 17

One inch left or right and he struggles to make a par, that was just as lucky as it was a great shot.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

One inch left or right and he struggles to make a par, that was just as lucky as it was a great shot.

Yeah I know. Think I heard it was a 230yard 7i launched high and it still had a big kick forward. Tough hole.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Halo14 posted:

Yeah I know. Think I heard it was a 230yard 7i launched high and it still had a big kick forward. Tough hole.

I think they said that was the only birdie on that hole the entire tournament. I may have heard wrong.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I think in the graphic it was 2 birdies on 17 all day Sunday.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

That makes a lot more sense.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Struggled at the beginning of the round, got it back to +2 on the front, lost opportunities on both reachable par 5s on the back and still went into 18 at +1 with a birdie chance on 18 to get to even.

A three putt later...

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Sometimes I still can't get over some of the yardages the pros put up. I hit a 170 yard 7 iron yesterday and felt like I absolutely flushed it dead to rights, a pro hits a 170 yard 7 iron and they probably reevaluate whether they belong on tour or not.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Kameh posted:

Struggled at the beginning of the round, got it back to +2 on the front, lost opportunities on both reachable par 5s on the back and still went into 18 at +1 with a birdie chance on 18 to get to even.

A three putt later...

Not sure what's more frustrating - playing bad the whole round or playing solid and loving it up on the last hole :)

Bad drought here in Sydney. We have these massive dams and they're at like 25%. They're watering just the greens which are actually the best they've been in years. You just don't get good lies around the greens because of bare patches. Fairways are rock hard and because of the slopes you're being punished even for good tee shots. Need like 2 weeks solid rain.

Manged to get a dozen Chrome Soft X balls for $36. Great ball, I like them over the normal Chrome Soft. Had one for the whole round yesterday and it was almost as good as new.

meeler09
May 24, 2007

Dr. Capco posted:

Sometimes I still can't get over some of the yardages the pros put up. I hit a 170 yard 7 iron yesterday and felt like I absolutely flushed it dead to rights, a pro hits a 170 yard 7 iron and they probably reevaluate whether they belong on tour or not.

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/2017-pga-lpga-tour-avg/

The average tour pro isn't a bomber like the guys who win all the time. For every Jason Day or Rory there are tons of guys making a good living hitting it just as far as your club scratch golfer. They just hit it much more consistent and are worlds better inside 120 yards.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Not sure what's more frustrating - playing bad the whole round or playing solid and loving it up on the last hole :)

Bad drought here in Sydney. We have these massive dams and they're at like 25%. They're watering just the greens which are actually the best they've been in years. You just don't get good lies around the greens because of bare patches. Fairways are rock hard and because of the slopes you're being punished even for good tee shots. Need like 2 weeks solid rain.

Manged to get a dozen Chrome Soft X balls for $36. Great ball, I like them over the normal Chrome Soft. Had one for the whole round yesterday and it was almost as good as new.

Yeah the back 9 gently caress up was appalling for me on Sunday, 22 points on the front then 16 points on the back hitting into 5 bunkers. I was happy with my recovery out but it sucks leaving those points on the table, especially when you lose on a countback.

We had a few solid days rain a week or so ago up here on the central coast which has helped top up(to about 35%) the dam and creeks running through the course.

Our club made it through summer in great condition and apart from the week the greens got cored was in amazing shape all summer, the dams at my club got really really low yet I don't know what the grounds staff did to nurse it through but they are not being paid enough.

A few other clubs on the central coast have really struggled through summer and one was asking members for an extra $500 on top of their membership to taker in water to fill the dams.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 7, 2018

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah our club is considered a rough goat track at the best of times but this lack of rain just compounds the problem. The championship course up the road apparently paid to have their dams topped up but you need to be at a certain elevation otherwise it's prohibitively expensive.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dimebag posted:

Yeah the back 9 gently caress up was appalling for me on Sunday, 22 points on the front then 16 points on the back hitting into 5 bunkers. I was happy with my recovery out but it sucks leaving those points on the table, especially when you lose on a countback.

Yeah, my last round was . . . interesting. I had 4 double bogeys, 3 bogeys and a birdie. The four doubles? Three par 3 fried eggs in bunkers with dense, wet sand. The other? Greenside bunker, ball against the front lip. In a normal round at this course, I'll be in 0 or 1 bunker. My lack of round to round bunker play has lulled me into not practicing bunker play enough, too.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
24/7 Players channel here all week. Fun watching Greg Norman tear it up back in the 90s.

Putting looked more difficult because of spike marks back then. Different game.

The coverage is more enjoyable too. Commentators casually chatting and making jokes while they wait for the group's to reach the ball. Seems a lot more sterile these days.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 8, 2018

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Halo14 posted:

24/7 Players channel here all week. Fun watching Greg Norman tear it up back in the 90s.

I gotta get my in laws Foxtel login I keep missing this stuff.

The spike mark thing may have been the biggest culture shock playing again, when I was growing up all the concrete cart paths had a big rubber lane down the middle so you wouldn't wear your metal spikes down.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

Pros are still allowed to wear spikes/pins.

Putting may have looked more difficult back then but I’m willing to bet the greens these guys play on now that roll faster than your kitchen floor are way more challenging.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
That's an interesting thought, I play better on fast greens, but my definition of fast is not the same as pga your fast. You also hear pros complain if they get to a tour stop that has slower greens.

I have my first night of league tonight. Ive played twice this year(MN winter succccckkked), last round I shot an 87 with zero penalty strokes, which is not my greatest effort. I think I hit 4 GIR the whole round, which was pitiful.

I also just got a new putter, so hoping I can make a few more putts!

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

That's an interesting thought, I play better on fast greens, but my definition of fast is not the same as pga your fast. You also hear pros complain if they get to a tour stop that has slower greens.

I have my first night of league tonight. Ive played twice this year(MN winter succccckkked), last round I shot an 87 with zero penalty strokes, which is not my greatest effort. I think I hit 4 GIR the whole round, which was pitiful.

Where are you playing your league at this season Dr?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DoctaFun posted:

Reads are more consistent on fast greens, even super fast. Not necessarily easier to make the putt, but the reads are just much more consistent. Spike marks make slow greens living hell.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

torgeaux posted:

Reads are more consistent on fast greens, even super fast. Not necessarily easier to make the putt, but the reads are just much more consistent. Spike marks make slow greens living hell.

I'm league course has really slow greens. Whenever I putt on fast greens, it feels way easier to read. I'm just tapping it and it rolls where it's supposed to. It's pretty great.

Yesterday me and my partner started arguing on the sixth hole. He kept telling me where to aim and what club I should be using and I got pissed. Subsequently, we both tanked the next three holes and blew our match. :v:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sataere posted:

I'm league course has really slow greens. Whenever I putt on fast greens, it feels way easier to read. I'm just tapping it and it rolls where it's supposed to. It's pretty great.

Yesterday me and my partner started arguing on the sixth hole. He kept telling me where to aim and what club I should be using and I got pissed. Subsequently, we both tanked the next three holes and blew our match. :v:

Arrgh. Nothing worse than that bullshit "advice" that's not wanted.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

torgeaux posted:

Arrgh. Nothing worse than that bullshit "advice" that's not wanted.

I don't normally mind it. We are partners, friends and both trying to win. What annoyed me was I was actually having a good game. I feel in golf, when someone is doing well, leave then the gently caress alone.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I’ve recently eliminated my driver/hybrid slice by simply keeping my left heel on the ground. What exactly is it about that aspect of the backswing/swing that makes a banana-ball?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Lincoln posted:

I’ve recently eliminated my driver/hybrid slice by simply keeping my left heel on the ground. What exactly is it about that aspect of the backswing/swing that makes a banana-ball?

The more things that move, the more stuff that can go wrong?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
There’s so many factors, it’s impossible to say how you might react to that change. Must be doing something good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Phil is wearing a loving dress shirt today.....wtf Phil