Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Blind Rasputin posted:

There’s been.. maybe two good episodes this entire season. Show sucks tbqh.

Yep. Season 2 was amazing television, season 3 has been average at its best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Blind Rasputin posted:

There’s been.. maybe two good episodes this entire season. Show sucks tbqh.

Then don't watch it? The biggest problem is less it sucks and more that it's forgettable.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The shows biggest problem is lack of ambition. You have this great premise that you could milk all kinds of interesting stories from and instead it's just "let's solve crime-of-the-week while Lucifer misinterprets advice from his shrink"

It's so formulaic is hurts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah they've gotten themselves into a rut, that I won't dispute.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've mentioned it before but the biggest problem with the show is that him actually being the Devil doesn't really bring anything to the table. It could easily just be a show about a nightclub owner in LA who decides to help solve crime and it would play out mostly exactly the same.

The thing about the show is that it has this big supernatural underpinning but nothing ever comes of it. There are angels and demons and magical artifacts and Cain running around throughout all of human history being unkillable but they spend all their time solving mundane crimes. Like the premise of the show should have been Lucifer helping them solve weird cases that turn out to be supernatural related.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, they made a big deal about pointing out hell escapees in the first season, but only really had his Mom

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
What in the ever-living gently caress is going on this season.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

I've mentioned it before but the biggest problem with the show is that him actually being the Devil doesn't really bring anything to the table. It could easily just be a show about a nightclub owner in LA who decides to help solve crime and it would play out mostly exactly the same.

The thing about the show is that it has this big supernatural underpinning but nothing ever comes of it. There are angels and demons and magical artifacts and Cain running around throughout all of human history being unkillable but they spend all their time solving mundane crimes. Like the premise of the show should have been Lucifer helping them solve weird cases that turn out to be supernatural related.

It's not nearly as serious as you want it to be. It's closer to the silliness of Sabrina The Teenage Witch than to shows like Penny Dreadful, Hellblazer or Grimm.
I agree with you, there is a lot more that could be done with the premise than having Lucifer help solve a random murder (motivated by greed or jealousy or revenge or whatever) of the week.

grack posted:

What in the ever-living gently caress is going on this season.
Up here in Canada we get Monday's show on Sunday and after this weeks' episode I have the same question.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I'm having a hard time even getting motivated to watch this anymore. Which sucks, because it has a great premise- I just wish they would do something with it besides whatever this CW-style melodrama is. It's starting to feel like the writers are just barely managing to make their deadline each week, and nobody has any clue where anything is going anymore. Is there still a showrunner? Is there an overall plan or are they just slamming out some madlibs-assisted script for each episode? What purpose does Kain serve, at all? It feels a lot like a show on life support, where everyone is just slogging along for as long as they keep getting paychecks, and everything gets more and more disjointed and random.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Show her your wings you absolute loving dumbass! You've shown everybody else.

Cain. Literally Cain from the Bible. The first murderer. Cursed by God. What do they do with that? Love triangle. Obviously.
Then he loving proposes to Chloe she loving saying yes. What the gently caress!

Maze still being a psycho-forgot-the-last-two-years-of-development rear end in a top hat! I enjoyed her character growth, but I guess it was all just a joke? A lie? Showing her true face to Trixie? Joke. Showing up at Linda's door when she got her job as a bounty hunter, trying to win her back as a friend by saying "look, I'm trying to fit in and I found something I'm good at"? Lie. Girl's night? Psych! She hates everything and everyone. Apparently always has.

Not even Charlotte's, "we're on a mission from God" or Linda's "what do you truly desire" can save whatever this show has become.

Edit: oh, and the season will 100% end with Maze killing Cain and framing it so that Chloe walks in while Lucifer is standing over the body with a bloody knife in his hand.
Lucifer will discover Chloe no longer makes him "vulnerable" because she doesn't love him or even like him. And he still won't show her his wings.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 30, 2018

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
The Lucifer (and Sandman) comics are all currently on sale if anyone's interested in the source material: https://www.comixology.co.uk/Lucifer/comics-series/3046?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Aleph Null posted:

Cain. Literally Cain from the Bible. The first murderer. Cursed by God. What do they do with that? Love triangle. Obviously.

Maze still being a psycho-forgot-the-last-two-years-of-development rear end in a top hat! I enjoyed her character growth, but I guess it was all just a joke? A lie? Showing her true face to Trixie? Joke. Showing up at Linda's door when she got her job as a bounty hunter, trying to win her back as a friend by saying "look, I'm trying to fit in and I found something I'm good at"? Lie. Girl's night? Psych! She hates everything and everyone. Apparently always has.

Not even Charlotte's, "we're on a mission from God" or Linda's "what do you truly desire" can save whatever this show has become.

Edit: oh, and the season will 100% end with Maze killing Cain and framing it so that Chloe walks in while Lucifer is standing over the body with a bloody knife in his hand.
Lucifer will discover Chloe no longer makes him "vulnerable" because she doesn't love him or even like him. And he still won't show her his wings.

He's flexible and will be very popular in prison

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

The love triangle COULD have worked, if they hadn't tried to shoehorn the entire Chloe/Cain relationship in to the last 1/4 of the season. Having the character of Chloe Decker literally throw herself at someone when she spent the first 2 1/2 seasons being really cautious about relationships is absurd.

Maze's character arc COULD have worked, if there had been a more steady build towards her questioning her current relationships instead of I NO DEMON NO MORE ME SAD :saddowns:

Like, the main story arc of the first 3/4s of the season was focused on the breakdown of Chloe and Lucifer's relationship (culminating at the winter climax), and then rebuilding it (the high school reunion episode). If the show writers had used that as the overarching theme for the season it would've been fine but it's like they ran out of material and just slapped together something about a love triangle that ends up being really forced. WE'RE DATING, WE'RE NOT DATING, WE'RE ENGAGED, WE'RE NOT ENGAGED, I DECIDED TO GET A DOZEN CATS INSTEAD (that's where I'm assuming this is going).

On the good side, well, Charlotte's arc has been pretty decent.

grack fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 1, 2018

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
I wish they'd stop resetting Lucifer at the end of each episode.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was kind of ambivalent on if I liked this episode or not, but this tweet just moved it firmly into the loved category.

https://twitter.com/LesleyAnnBrandt/status/991119074561114112

This one as well : https://twitter.com/tomellis17/status/991156581059280896

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well that was :stare:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:stonk:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Is it worth watching? Is this good or bad?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Good.

Coyote Ugly
Nov 14, 2006

I wasn't expecting to see that happen. Defo worth the watch.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't see that ending coming.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What the hell happened and where are you watching this? I don't see the new episode on the app.

Edit: Wait, nevermind. drat you Canada.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 7, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Real good episode. Real real good.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I got kind of sad there, which I did not expect.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Holy poo poo. This episode was amazing, especially the end and next episode already sounds solid based just off the preview.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
It took way too long this season to get to a truly great episode.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It's a consistent flaw of this show that they spend 20 episodes each season stalling and then cram the actual serialised plot development into 3-4 episodes. The showrunners almost seem afraid to properly explore the supernatural side of the show; and keep running to the safe confines of a bland procedural. Which makes me wonder what they think the core demographic for the show is - surely the core demographic for 'bland procedural' would be turned off by the supernatural side of things?

I hope they grow some balls and address this next season.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Krombopulos Cain is at it again

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

How are you all watching this, it’s still not up on my Hulu app. I’m only mad because there hasn’t been a good episode in what seems like months and you all are bragging about it.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

It's a consistent flaw of this show that they spend 20 episodes each season stalling and then cram the actual serialised plot development into 3-4 episodes. The showrunners almost seem afraid to properly explore the supernatural side of the show; and keep running to the safe confines of a bland procedural. Which makes me wonder what they think the core demographic for the show is - surely the core demographic for 'bland procedural' would be turned off by the supernatural side of things?
I think the stalling worked when it was 13 episode seasons. It doesn't work over 24. I blame FOX for this.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I'm kind of surprised everyone liked this episode so much, because even though it was finally one step forward with Lucifer/Chloe, it was one huge step back killing off the best character/actress all season (and by the shittiest character/actor to boot). Unless of course we're assuming that Charlotte will be back in heaven/hell or brought back to life somehow or whatever.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Yes, it sucks that Charlotte is being written off because Tricia Helfer has been fantastic the last two seasons, but the character had a great arc and she got a hell of a sendoff. Bringing her back would kind of destroy all of that.

Blind Rasputin posted:

How are you all watching this, it’s still not up on my Hulu app. I’m only mad because there hasn’t been a good episode in what seems like months and you all are bragging about it.

It airs on Sunday in Canada

grack fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 8, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'd rather have characters come in and out of the show organically as required by their plot arcs than have a character stay around for no reason with nothing to do.

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...
Don't really get the love for this episode. This season was a wet fart that ended by making GBS threads its pants.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That wasn't the season finale.

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

Darko posted:

That wasn't the season finale.

It hasn't finished making GBS threads yet.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It would probably have come across better if Pierce wasn't a superman at having a complete lack of charisma plus the whole sandbagging of Maze's character.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Party Plane Jones posted:

It would probably have come across better if Pierce wasn't a superman at having a complete lack of charisma plus the whole sandbagging of Maze's character.

Yeah. When Pierce described his plan to Maze, I thought he was lying because it was a dumb plan, but nope, he really was just going to go shoot an angel.

But Charlotte had a fantastic arc and her send-off was the best thing of the season. And Lucifer discovered that Amenadiel was right.

It was a good episode, but drat if it wasn't a slog to get to this point.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

More MotW X-files, less touched by an angel please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Milo and POTUS posted:

More MotW X-files, less touched by an angel please

aw touched by angel was one of my favorite shows.

• Locked thread