Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

How are u posted:

I've always figured that Alaska will come out in a pretty OK spot. Yeah, things are going to get really hosed up really quick with the accelerated rate of change in the Arctic, but once that shakes out it should be in pretty nice climate zone, no?

Isn’t Alaska going to be a giant, horrible swamp when the permafrost melts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

navyjack posted:

I assumed most of it would wash away leaving behind a gravelly muddy wasteland with starving bears.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ahh the "how can i profit off this" bargaining phase

you can't. you can't know what will happen in any given micro-climate, and you can't know how the communities/govts/infrastructure will react. remember land doesn't have value just because of weather, its mostly down to civil infrastructure and surrounding industry. if you were capable of accurately predicting any of that you'd already be filthy rich.

if you want to profit off of climate change it really easy: work for an oil and gas company or defense contractor , live in a single family detached house, own and drive one or more gasoline burning vehicles daily, fly around the world for vacation regularly, and eat plenty of red meat. most of us are *already* maxxing out the "gently caress you, i'll get mine" line of reasoning, thats what got us here.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

StabbinHobo posted:

ahh the "how can i profit off this" bargaining phase

If you don't have any good ideas just say so!

call to action posted:

I learned about HVDC in this thread and it sounds like such a good idea, of course we can't have it

Not only is a national HVDC transmission system probably not going to happen, but even baby-steps towards such a system are viciously opposed by established commercial interests:

Press Herald posted:

Unexpected foes emerge to CMP’s plan to build transmission line to Canada
Updated March 28, 2018
New opposition is ramping up to Central Maine Power’s proposal to build a 145-mile transmission line through western Maine, coming from interests who own fossil-fuel power plants in the state, as well as those who want to build wind and solar farms.

Recently:

Press Herald posted:

Opponents file arguments with state to scuttle or reshape CMP plan for 145-mile power line
Updated May 2, 2018
Opponents of a plan to build a 145-mile transmission line through western Maine filed their objections with state regulators Monday in a bid to kill or at least reshape the major regional energy project proposed by Central Maine Power’s parent company.

In testimony filed with the Maine Public Utilities Commission, critics of the plan to bring hydropower from Quebec to Massachusetts argued that:

• Maine power plants, including Wyman Station in Yarmouth, could close, and hundreds of jobs and more than $5 million in property tax revenue would be lost.

• Several Maine wind and solar projects could be canceled, too, because the line would be designed like an interstate highway from Canada with no on-ramps in Maine for other generated power.

• Despite being labeled a clean project, the line wouldn’t really lower carbon emissions that accelerate climate change because no new hydropower facilities would be built, meaning fossil-fuel power plants outside New England would be called on to backfill demand in New York state and elsewhere created by the diversion of power to Massachusetts.

Upgrading transmission infrastructure to increase renewable usage is apparently controversial.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
It seems like it would be easier and more of a sure thing to bet against areas that will get hosed up. Florida, Bangladesh, etc.

Is it possible to short real estate?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/JaxAlemany/status/992393456470327296?s=19

Hmmm

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Yeah this summer is going to be really really rough for the poor folks in that region https://www.democracynow.org/2018/5/4/headlines/india_death_toll_from_extreme_weather_rises_to_127

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Approaching that 95ºF wet-bulb temp, not good.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

navyjack posted:

There's already mosquito swarms thick enough to drain the life out of any unprotected mammal in certain parts. Imagine that but every day of the year at twilight, rolling into anchorage like a horde of tiny vampires, sucking the life out of every living thing not completely sealed in their home.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost
So the future for Alaska is 30 Days of Night?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

VideoGameVet posted:

Yet another fruitless debate with a "renewable energy won't work" idiot on FB.

I find this debate confusing, but the "idiot" seems to be trying, fruitlessly, to explain capacity factor to you. Here it is in comic form.

Nuclear advocates will sometimes oversell nuclear's capacity factor, because it's not necessarily a good thing it's 90% of nameplate capacity. It's only that high because it's very difficult to turn nuclear plants on and off to follow load. But that said, your FB friend is still essentially right, because the nameplate capacity translates to different amounts of energy produced depending on the source.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

The "end of life" tweets have nothing to do with a conversation about civilization. Aggravation of violence is not predicated by full biosphere collapse.

AR5 authors on conflict aggravation sing a different song. A psychopath deflects a discussion about human concerns with the answer "Not all life will be destroyed."

Like fishmech, you're clearly very well technically read.

I didn't deflect on anything. I responded to an article claiming climate change will cause "the end of most life" by posting a response from an IPCC scientist calling it alarmist and unscientific. Now you're changing the subject to something different because the old claim was shot down.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Thug Lessons posted:

I find this debate confusing, but the "idiot" seems to be trying, fruitlessly, to explain capacity factor to you. Here it is in comic form.

Nuclear advocates will sometimes oversell nuclear's capacity factor, because it's not necessarily a good thing it's 90% of nameplate capacity. It's only that high because it's very difficult to turn nuclear plants on and off to follow load. But that said, your FB friend is still essentially right, because the nameplate capacity translates to different amounts of energy produced depending on the source.

There is this thing called storage and as I claimed, much of the cost of nuke/coal/gas is externalized to the public in the form of taxes and fees to clean up and treat the outcomes (like building sea walls eventually).

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

VideoGameVet posted:

There is this thing called storage and as I claimed, much of the cost of nuke/coal/gas is externalized to the public in the form of taxes and fees to clean up and treat the outcomes (like building sea walls eventually).

You probably should have read the linked wikipedia article.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

Thank god storage grows on carbon-eating trees! Which also somehow make solar produce energy at night?

And eventually having to build sea walls is not in fact an externality of nuclear power plants.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Cingulate posted:

Thank god storage grows on carbon-eating trees! Which also somehow make solar produce energy at night?

And eventually having to build sea walls is not in fact an externality of nuclear power plants.

It is not, but my inflated SDG&E bill is. Due to the utilities inability to keep the SONGS plant operating.

The nuke folks need to stop blaming the hippies and get their act together

... and Germany was stupid to turn them off while still burning coal.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Back to the fun:

The last time atmospheric carbon dioxide was this high humans didn't exist

The average concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere was 410.31 parts per million (ppm) for the month of April, according to the Keeling Curve measurement series made at the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii.

This marks the first time in the history of the Mauna Loa record that a monthly average has exceeded 410 parts per million. This also represents a 30-percent increase in carbon dioxide concentration in the global atmosphere since the Keeling Curve began in 1958. In March, Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California San Diego observed the 60th anniversary of the data series, the first measurements of which were 315 ppm.

The last time atmospheric carbon dioxide levels were this high, millions of years ago, the planet was very different. For one, humans didn’t exist.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

While that comic is overall correct, note that capacity factors have been shifting since it was made:

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_6_07_b

[Using 2017 Year]

Nuclear - 92%
Hydro - 45%
Wind - 36%
Solar PV - 27%
Solar Thermal - 22%
Landfill Gas - 70%
Geothermal - 76%
Coal - 53%
Gas Combined Cycle - 55%
Gas Peaker - 9%

We can also expect hydro's capacity factor to decline as climate change and downstream/upstream needs force dams to operate for hydrological needs over power generation.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

None of that has anything to do with what I said.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

How are u posted:

I've always figured that Alaska will come out in a pretty OK spot. Yeah, things are going to get really hosed up really quick with the accelerated rate of change in the Arctic, but once that shakes out it should be in pretty nice climate zone, no?

People who are preppers tend to forget the massive amount of climate refuges that are going to spill into everywhere should poo poo go down.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Just going to drop these here...
https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/993573935513001984
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/993533996830097409

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

jeeves posted:

People who are preppers tend to forget the massive amount of climate refuges that are going to spill into everywhere should poo poo go down.

Pfft, just buy more guns and build more walls.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jeeves posted:

That’s what the guns are for ..?

VideoGameVet posted:

It is not, but my inflated SDG&E bill is. Due to the utilities inability to keep the SONGS plant operating.

The nuke folks need to stop blaming the hippies and get their act together

... and Germany was stupid to turn them off while still burning coal.
No real disagreement here

It’s a shame. There was nothing to be done: everything looked like not doing that would have cost Merkel the election, which would have left red-green to turn them off even faster. And now our co2 emissions haven’t changed for a decade or two. We really hate nuclear.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

here's a hopeful lecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPjdwH4MWJE

(disclaimer: hope is a lie)

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
if it be your will
if there is a choice
let the rivers fill
let the hills rejoice
let your mercy spill on all these burning hearts in hell
if it be your will
to make us well

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
it's weird how, even though it hasn't happened yet, there is actually a plausible possibility of one of guy mcpherson's predictions coming true (blue/blue-ish ocean in the arctic, or at least free of multiyear ice)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/994245615939825667

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Yes, I know. Storage required but ...

A recent report from Lazard shows how the costs of producing electricity from various sources are changing. Energy from utility-scale solar plants — plants that produce electricity that feeds into the grid — has seen the biggest price drop: an 86% decrease since 2009.

The cost of producing one megawatt-hour of electricity — a standard way to measure electricity production — is now around $50 for solar power, according to Lazard's math. The cost of producing one megawatt-hour of electricity from coal, by comparison, is $102 — more than double the cost of solar.

https://www.businessinsider.com/solar-power-cost-decrease-2018-5?r=US&IR=T

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I don't think LCOE really does a good job comparing sources of energy because different sources aren't fungible. Wind and solar don't do the same thing as a coal or gas plant, and neither do the same thing as nuclear. In addition to storage you're going to have to factor in the cost—and emissions—of gas peakers operated to make up for intermittency . They're not shown on that graph but they're one of the most expensive sources of electricity.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

I don't think LCOE really does a good job comparing sources of energy because different sources aren't fungible. Wind and solar don't do the same thing as a coal or gas plant, and neither do the same thing as nuclear. In addition to storage you're going to have to factor in the cost—and emissions—of gas peakers operated to make up for intermittency . They're not shown on that graph but they're one of the most expensive sources of electricity.

I'm wondering what the addition of stuff like "pumped storage" incorporated into a simulation of use would do to the pricing.

Also, if you're not worried about Kwh/kg you can come up with some interesting batteries.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

I'm wondering what the addition of stuff like "pumped storage" incorporated into a simulation of use would do to the pricing.

Also, if you're not worried about Kwh/kg you can come up with some interesting batteries.

Pumped water storage? It's great if you have the geography for it. It's like hydro or geothermal in that if you have the resource, great, but you can't just mass-produce it. Meanwhile you can put a gas peaker or batteries almost anywhere.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

Pumped water storage? It's great if you have the geography for it. It's like hydro or geothermal in that if you have the resource, great, but you can't just mass-produce it. Meanwhile you can put a gas peaker or batteries almost anywhere.

Yep. Hence my mention of batteries. Once you don't care about weight so much, the cost per KWh of storage can drop.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I'm skeptical of any claims like that until industry can deliver it, but if they can, great. Storage is useful for every power source; it's just solar and wind where it's absolutely necessary, at large scale, to follow demand load and to make up for intermittency.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Thug Lessons posted:

There's a new(ish) system around using, basically, trains on hills/ramps which is essentially the same sort of thing and can be used pretty much anywhere and scaled indefinitely. The efficiency is pretty good too.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Flywheels exist

Also there once was an all-electric car that used a flywheel internally due to limitations at the time.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I actually remember this magazine issue.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

VideoGameVet posted:

Yes, I know. Storage required but ...

A recent report from Lazard shows how the costs of producing electricity from various sources are changing. Energy from utility-scale solar plants — plants that produce electricity that feeds into the grid — has seen the biggest price drop: an 86% decrease since 2009.

The cost of producing one megawatt-hour of electricity — a standard way to measure electricity production — is now around $50 for solar power, according to Lazard's math. The cost of producing one megawatt-hour of electricity from coal, by comparison, is $102 — more than double the cost of solar.

https://www.businessinsider.com/solar-power-cost-decrease-2018-5?r=US&IR=T

Wind will tick up, unfortunately. There are several factors at play in the wind industry right now, the major one being a shortage of qualified blade technicians and a large number of blades EOL'ing their warranties for B-level repairs from the manufacturer.

Or, in simpler terms: It's no longer cheap to fix blades, and blades get hosed up real bad on a regular basis.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
flywheels are just dipshit "i read a blog" internet nonsense. there was only one company that even tried, they got enough blogspam PR that people have heard of it, but they failed. the end.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

StabbinHobo posted:

flywheels are just dipshit "i read a blog" internet nonsense. there was only one company that even tried, they got enough blogspam PR that people have heard of it, but they failed. the end.

flywheels are a thing that is commonly used like everywhere for like forever for all sorts of things. like 2000 year old potters wheels kept running with a flywheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

StabbinHobo posted:

Wow, didn't realize they had blogs back in the fifties! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrobus