Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

amazon’s employees: hey maybe you could interview more women and poc for board positions
amazon’s board: just requiring us to talk to certain kinds of people would materially impact the work of the directors, we’re so busy we can only interview the highest quality white dudes

quote:

Tensions surfaced last week on an employee email thread, viewed by Recode, following Amazon’s opposition to a shareholder proposal that would require its board to formally consider women and minority candidates when selecting new board members.

The proposal — from CtW Investment Group — asks Amazon to “implement a ‘Rooney Rule’ requiring that the initial list of candidates from which new management-supported director nominees are chosen should include (but need not be limited to) qualified women and minority candidates.”

The Rooney Rule requires NFL teams to interview at least one minority candidate for head coaching and general manager openings. Currently, all 10 directors of Amazon’s board are white. Seven are men and three are women.

“Shareholders have long believed that embracing diversity will benefit companies by providing greater access to talent, harnessing existing talent more effectively, and improving decision making by reducing groupthink and similar psychological biases,” the CtW proposal read.

“There is now ample evidence in support of this belief,” it continued, pointing to a 2017 McKinsey study.

But in advance of the shareholder vote deadline of May 25, Amazon’s board recommended a vote against the proposal — setting off the internal debate.

Complex Considerations

“Our processes for nominating directors involve complex considerations that are designed to advance the long-term interests of shareholders,” the company said in its proxy statement.

“Given our commitment to equality and the nature of our business,” the company added, “the Board believes that adoption of the policy requested by the proposal would not be an effective and prudent use of the Company’s time and resources.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Last Chance posted:

it kinda reminds me of pitbull owners in a way

hey I don't own a pitbull but I do work in an animal shelter. go gently caress yourself

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Farecoal posted:

hey I don't own a pitbull but I do work in an animal shelter. go gently caress yourself

lol welcome to yospos

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't know pitbull mom's are a great meme :allears:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Farecoal posted:

good thing that goon was specifically talking about the owners and not the dogs then

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

fishmech posted:

horses aren't legitimate, their owners are even less

lol what are you smoking. the event started as a place for the scions of old money to show off their latest designer outfits with some occasional invited guests who weren't already rich as hell, and then some students and designers who weren't rich allowed in as part of the deal

so, dinner for schmucks

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

so they’re watching people who have commit multiple crimes in the past more closely than any other people? truly revolutionary thinking there lmao

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

so they’re watching people who have commit multiple crimes in the past more closely than any other people? truly revolutionary thinking there lmao

read the thread, they're counting when the cops stop you on the street as suspicious behavior justifying the cops stopping you on the street

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

it's pretty common to run your software in simulations before putting it out in real hardware. I can even see the utility of using a 3d engine for developing basic training sets. the issue would be developing a training set with enough diversity to capture all variations of what a vehicle might encounter on the road

ntsb needs to mandate closed circuit testing where the engineers use themselves as potential road hazards prior to any open-road testing

when they were talking about this specifically it wasn't just "testing it in a simulation before testing it for real," it was in the context of "testing this with cars is expensive so we tested it with grand theft auto instead"

i think when it comes to neural nets it would make a huge difference if it's looking at a 3D render of a car vs. an actual car, probably in subtle ways that only become apparent when it turns out it was looking for some invisible pattern in the grandma hair textures that real life grandma doesn't actually have and therefore isn't seen as an obstacle

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Literally using ginned up metrics to justify laser-focused broken-window policing

lies, damned lies, and statistics

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

haveblue posted:

read the thread, they're counting when the cops stop you on the street as suspicious behavior justifying the cops stopping you on the street

i already know American cops take fundamentally sound ideas and ruin them badly tho

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
“I’m not pulling over this black guy because he’s black. it’s because all the other cops before me pulled him over because he’s suspicious. it’s not my fault statistically cops arrest more black guys for SOME REASON.”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
https://www.wired.com/story/uber-unveils-flying-taxi/

quote:

As nonsensical as it may seem, flying cars are on the brink of takeoff.

:jerkbag:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

juking the stats as a service

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

my loving thoughts exactly.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

when they were talking about this specifically it wasn't just "testing it in a simulation before testing it for real," it was in the context of "testing this with cars is expensive so we tested it with grand theft auto instead"

i think when it comes to neural nets it would make a huge difference if it's looking at a 3D render of a car vs. an actual car, probably in subtle ways that only become apparent when it turns out it was looking for some invisible pattern in the grandma hair textures that real life grandma doesn't actually have and therefore isn't seen as an obstacle

I'm very interested in what their development pipeline actually looks like. you raise valid issues that could be mitigated with a proper test strategy. are they running closed loop hardware-in-the-loop tests with real world telemetry? validating their simulation with closed circuit testing? it's no wonder google has a leg up on this stuff with all the data they've collected via street view

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

you ask me, they should be sharp as HELL

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i have really selfish ideas about how to die from helicopters

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
like a flash mob but everyone uses their copter to ram into Uber ceos mansion instead

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

what will win in rich enclaves, their desire to fly over the unwashed masses or their hatred of noisy machines flying over their houses at all hours?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think I've infodumped about the FAA and its regulations often enough so I'm just gonna say:

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrtttttt

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Jenny Agutter posted:

I'm very interested in what their development pipeline actually looks like. you raise valid issues that could be mitigated with a proper test strategy. are they running closed loop hardware-in-the-loop tests with real world telemetry? validating their simulation with closed circuit testing? it's no wonder google has a leg up on this stuff with all the data they've collected via street view

The only numbers that suggest that "Google has a leg up" are disengagement numbers. Ones which are incredibly fake: https://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/self-driving/have-selfdriving-cars-stopped-getting-better

quote:

Companies get to decide how to record these so-called disengagements. In 2017, for instance, relative newcomer Nvidia logged every single time a human touched the steering wheel of its test vehicle, even at the planned end of a test. Waymo, on the other hand, ran complex computer simulations after each disengagement, and only reported to the DMV those where it believed the driver was correct to take charge, rather than being overly-cautious. GM chose not to report at least one instance where an autonomous car was about to block an intersection.

"So the car ran a simulation and decided to crash into the woman. Then we ran that same simulation at our HQ and decided it wasn't a disengagement"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
purestrain investor storytime

hey stop looking at our collapsing finances / total lack of moat / the death toll from our autocar program and check this poo poo out - flying taxis!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

what will win in rich enclaves, their desire to fly over the unwashed masses or their hatred of noisy machines flying over their houses at all hours?

obviously it needs to have the ability to drive a little ways so it can actually take off in the poor part of town, duh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

There’s just one door, on one side, to simplify ground operations. No need for extra steps or worrying about people exiting on the wrong side into an active landing pad.

i love that they've spun "only one door" as a feature

no need to worry about people trying frantically to exit on the side of the plane that's not on fire with Uber™ Single Door Technology™

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i love that they've spun "only one door" as a feature

no need to worry about people trying frantically to exit on the side of the plane that's not on fire with Uber™ Single Door Technology™

if it was a real aircraft it'd be fine because the giant windows would be emergency exits

as an imaginary aircraft of course it doesn't even need to be capable of flight so

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

it can also travel through time and fly you to neverland

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

baby elon hung up the phone because the mean government man was making him cry

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
its ok he already said the NTSB isn't a real agency and has no real authority and thats why all the railroads don't care about anything they say ever

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

I like to imagine the red helicopter is crashing into the guys roof.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
rekt
https://twitter.com/sarahnemerson/status/993680370842267648

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

that is cool and somehow that guy died from alzheimer's not a helicopter

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that's not right, beetlejuice actually sorta went for something interesting and original in his outfit and not just "a waiter"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmbo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

that's not right, beetlejuice actually sorta went for something interesting and original in his outfit and not just "a waiter"

also beetlejuice proudly owned his hair loss

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

rjmccall posted:

it looks like that park is basically a couple of tire tracks through a wide-open meadow

used to walk the dog up there all the time when i lived nearby, there are parts of it that are ok for biking, but there're lots of better choices nearby (like the big fancy park that's only for palo alto residents, and they do have a guard checking)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
grind palo alto to dust