Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kebbins posted:

Hi Seattle scooter friend!

You should buy the Elite 125 in Puyallup on CL right now for $600 and take it to a shop to get running. Then we can be Elite bros!.

:hfive: Hell yeah Elite Bros!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
SCOOTER BROTHERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhdgpAEYtJI

JOURNEY OF SCOOTERS

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s me when I see another scooter on the road and the rider is not wearing flip flops a T-shirt and no helmet.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Just picked up a Honda Jazz! I've only got my 78 Puch to compare it to, but holy poo poo, what a nice machine. The battery is kind of flat, it won't turn over unless it's fresh off the charger but everything works great. I'm a real fan of the brake proportioning system it's got going on.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I take it Jazz! is what they call the Metropolitan in countries where jazz wasn't invented? Naw bro, you need a Spree. It's the best compromise between moped and scooter. Small, 2t, electric start.
Metros are just slow scooters. F that noise.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I'm bought it so my girlfriend has something to ride alongside my moped. I just took it out for a rip today and it's a hoot. I can see the rev limiter being a pissoff to some folks, but compared to austere outfitting of my Puch it's like riding a cloud. The Spree looks rad as gently caress. I don't think there's any in the whole province though. I've never seen anything like it in real life.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Really? Where do you live? Sprees are literally everywhere in the US

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The scooter culture here is loving bizarre. In the 90s the motorcycle insurance fees were pushed up to drive out the HA, scooter and moped insurance followed suit. Coupled with something like 5 months of riding season and a few major roads being 70/80km/h it created a huge disincentive for small displacement vehicles (you never, ever see 125cc motorbikes here). It didn't help there was the stigma about scooters being gay. Until the 2000s when the whole hipster aesthetic came to be and the vino/ruckus/jazz designs came in you basically never saw scooters. The used market is loving bizarre. There are always a few 125cc scooters from the 80s, a few Vespas/Piaggios and a lot of Eton scooters. Ruckus' are only ever bought through friends of friends, they get scooped too quick to make it onto kijiji. Jazz scooters are the only ones popular enough to come down to reasonable buying price for a scooter that isn't junk.

The moped market is even better. Everything is rusty and ridden hard. A moped posting won't last more than 12 hours if the loving thing runs. There's a few frames posted perpetually that are 3 hours out of town and the picture shows them in 2 feet of snow. $400, firm. The only people to still have running mopeds are old-country mennonites who brought theirs from Germany. There's currently a running 3 speed Kreidler for sale that's super tempting but LOL at ever getting parts.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

A Metro must be faster than a Spree, right? CVT vs single speed has to make up for 4t vs 2t.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, they are quicker by a large margin. Sprees are not fast. At all.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Spree is CVT, just not a widely variable one.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
It's hard to imagine anything being slower than a Met, i wanted to kill myself on mine

Then again it was one of the newer fuel injected mets, I think the older ones are a little faster

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Spree is CVT, just not a widely variable one.

Did they change this sometime in its run? I know every spree I’ve worked on has been centrifugal clutch only.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is it not? I'm not sure I've worked on one myself but I've seen them being worked on and it sure looked like a belt and pulleys in there

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Did they change this sometime in its run? I know every spree I’ve worked on has been centrifugal clutch only.

Yeah this was my understanding of them as well, though I haven't really worked on one. This page refers to it as not being variated, though they are belt drive with a centrifugal clutch.

Breakfast Feud's Puch moped is probably as fast stock and with a lot more performance potential. I don't know of any 70mph Jazz/Metros or Sprees (that weren't engine swapped) but 70mph Puch mopeds are pretty common.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Don't you have to swap out just about every single part on a moped to get it up to 70mph? Probably a similar amount of work to a GY6 or Dio engine swap.

Spree transmissions look like CVTs but the pulleys don't move. Interestingly (or not), Yamaha went with a chain drive on their single speed Razz.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 24, 2018

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Breakfast Feud's Puch moped is probably as fast stock and with a lot more performance potential. I don't know of any 70mph Jazz/Metros or Sprees (that weren't engine swapped) but 70mph Puch mopeds are pretty common.

If I had a time machine and could get a fresh off the factory floor Puch, maybe. As it stands the Met accelerates much faster than the Puch from a stand still and will beat it to 25 km/h every time but the Puch does much better right now in the 25-50 km/h range. I'm sure there's something fucky going on with the Puch though because the starts are absolutely glacial. I'm thinking it's a clutch issue, the PO had it set to never disengage, ever, so I'm assuming there's excessive wear. I've ordered new ATF, I need to do some reading on adjusting it though.

I'm also seeing some weird power band stuff with the Puch which I think are timing related. I've got it set something like 15 BTDC and apart from the slow starts, there's a noticeable flat spot in the power band at like 2/3rds throttle, but once it passes that it has no problem accelerating (no problems apart from the strange sounds coming from the motor if I exceed 60km/h). I set it for a stock bike, but I've got a performance exhaust so I might advance it a tiny bit. I'm gonna have to take it easy this season and do a complete teardown over winter, replacing all the bearings and gaskets.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is it not? I'm not sure I've worked on one myself but I've seen them being worked on and it sure looked like a belt and pulleys in there

Yeah they definitely have a belt and pulleys, but they're literally just pulleys, they dont move like a CVT. Its all done in the centrifugal clutch at the back. Basically imagine any other scooter CVT, except you welded the pulleys to a single ratio.

And that is why Sprees are so, so very dumpy unless you weigh about 80lbs

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That's insane, why the gently caress did they do that? All of the engineering and all of the parts of a CVT to get none of the benefits of a CVT. loving Honda.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"loving Honda" is exactly why they did it

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
literally the welded diff of the scooter world

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Pals, this looks like a good deal. Obviously, I would want to see what service if any has been done on this thing but what should I be looking out for on it? https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/d/2008-genuine-scooter-buddy-125/6582698002.html

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 8, 2018

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Pals, this looks like a good deal. Obviously, I would want to see what service if any has been done on this thing but what should I be looking out for on it? https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/d/2008-genuine-scooter-buddy-125/6582698002.html

That does look like a good deal. But again at that age and low mileage it'll probably be on the original tires and you'll want to replace the engine and final drive oils, too, if they haven't been recently. But that's not bad - tires will be maybe $100 a set plus install rates and the oils you can do yourself for like $10.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

It probably hasn't had much service at all at 1176 miles but these are great, reliable scooters if you aren't sure. I'd be more concerned about how it was broken in originally. My wife's has over 16k miles on hers (and would be well over 20k if it were still being used) and I've only had to do minor work on it (the worst was only replacing oil cooler lines). That seems like a great price.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

cheesebot posted:

It probably hasn't had much service at all at 1176 miles but these are great, reliable scooters if you aren't sure. I'd be more concerned about how it was broken in originally. My wife's has over 16k miles on hers (and would be well over 20k if it were still being used) and I've only had to do minor work on it (the worst was only replacing oil cooler lines). That seems like a great price.

What would I need to do about a poor breaking in period? Is this a carb thing? Changing the fluids doesn't seem especially difficult so I was going to do that regardless.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I don't think break-in periods for modern 4-stroke scoots is really a thing to worry about

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

What would I need to do about a poor breaking in period? Is this a carb thing? Changing the fluids doesn't seem especially difficult so I was going to do that regardless.

I don't think there's anything you could do about it, I would just ask if he followed the recommended procedure and maybe use it as a bargaining point if not. It's a piston ring thing - and I'd only worry about the carb if it was left with old gas in it often; which is possible being that it was ridden only an average of 110 miles a year for the last ten years. Still not a big deal because you can easily take out the carb and clean it up - these are easy to work on.

cheesebot fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 8, 2018

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Does anyone know why my Honda Elite 80 is lurching at high RPMs? When I’m at full throttle it will suddenly start doing this. It basically feels like I completely let off the throttle for a fraction of a second, and then it briefly goes back to normal, before happening again. When it does this, it’s in a rapid and semi-random succession. Usually once or twice every second. It makes it hard to get up to speed, especially on hills.

PS, I’m a brand new rider.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What year? Is it backfiring while it does it?

My first inclination would be incorrect jetting in the carb, but I experienced a suspiciously similar problem on my Elite 250, and it turned out to be the HT lead coming out of the coil. It had cracked internally and was only intermittently making the connection, leading to it stuttering and unable to make it up above about 30mph.

If you can get the bike on a stand or on the center stand and make the problem occur, wiggle the coil itself and see if the problem gets worse or goes away. If so, its new coil time.

I wont say you dont have jetting issues, but I tore my hair out chasing non-existent jetting issues on my 250 with a very similar sounding problem only to find by accident that it was the coil all along.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 20, 2018

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Thanks for the tip! The bike is a 95, but wasn’t sold/registered until 97. One other thing is the center stand doesn’t lift the rear tire all the way off the ground, so I might have to stick a plank of wood under it or something.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

A 2008 Buddy 125 came up for sale at a pretty great price but hasn't moved since 2016. Battery is dead and I assume the fuel has been sitting but I'd guess at most I'd just have to clean the carb and run some seafoam through the lines? Other than a small chunk taken out of the molding above the brake light it seems like in good condition. Could anything make this more of a pain in the rear end to get up and running? I don't really like buying something non-functional but this doesn't strike me as particularly difficult to fix up and get going.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Tires may need replacing as well if they're original

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
For those of you with Elites, 80rab is making his replica carb access covers again. Pretty much the one piece that every Elite is missing and is impossible to find: https://www.ebay.com/itm/REPLICA-Honda-CH150-Elite-150-Carb-CARBURETOR-Cover-85-86/123013707028?hash=item1ca4303514:g:kY8AAOSwAghapJwS

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a battery cover (the most broken 250 part) of his and it’s nice. Has stood up to my kids standing on it while they play on the elite.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I got my first scooter (kinda) the other weekend

2011 (I think?) Sym Symba. A clone of the honda cub that has a solid reputation as a faithful reproduction of the original.

Its been great so far, the auto-clutch is kind of strange but I'm getting used to it. It's a great around town option and a lot easier than a full sized motorcycle for a 4 mile commute to work. I need to get a big milk crate or something for the back, I've already taken off the rear seat (who are they kidding, this thing isn't hauling two [american] people)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh that thing is cool. I always liked Honda’s implementation of the clutchless manual

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ugh that thing is cool. I always liked Honda’s implementation of the clutchless manual

its fun because it kinda gives you something to do while in traffic, and downshifting for hills is 100% necessary on that thing, especially in a city like seattle

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Holy poo poo. Speaking of that cub clone.... I didn't think this was ever gonna happen:

https://powersports.honda.com/2019/super-cub-c125-abs.aspx

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
what the hell?

I mean, Kymco brought one some years ago, but seriously? They brought one? With ABS? What the christ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

drat it, I want a modernized Helix 300.