Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not intentionally but left alive he was.

Eh, I think Elan fully understood that he was leaving his father alive when he let him fall from the airship. He even says "you'll live." It's an artifact of it being a world of dungeons and dragons mechanics and the characters explicitly understanding that a high-level character has lots of hitpoints and can survive things like long falls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Dumping Tarquin unceremoniously in the desert and continuing the plot without him is probably the biggest revenge you can get on that guy.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Eh, I think Elan fully understood that he was leaving his father alive when he let him fall from the airship. He even says "you'll live." It's an artifact of it being a world of dungeons and dragons mechanics and the characters explicitly understanding that a high-level character has lots of hitpoints and can survive things like long falls.

It is also a reference to Tarquin saying the same when he stabbed through Elan to stab a severely injured Roy.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Although as a cross classed hack he is explicitly gimped and probably died.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean he lived through the fall but I forget if he explicitly lived or died when his psionic friend got the snarl's attention

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shugojin posted:

I mean he lived through the fall but I forget if he explicitly lived or died when his psionic friend got the snarl's attention

He was gone when the Snarl flipped out because he traded the hole in the desert to the psionicist. So he's out there pouting about his defeat last week.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Motherfucker posted:

:confused:

He's a near-epic pure fighter with gear well above his wealth-by-level standard and he was a match for 5 OotS members before they learned how to take advantage of his many personal faults.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not intentionally but left alive he was.

Yes, Elan intentionally spared his dad because killing him was what Tarquin wanted and Elan refused to play into his narrative any more.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Motherfucker posted:

That's Nale (who is explicitly Dead For Good barring a Miracle, True Resurrection, or Wish), not Tarquin.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

:confused:

He's a near-epic pure fighter with gear well above his wealth-by-level standard and he was a match for 5 OotS members before they learned how to take advantage of his many personal faults.

Before Rich decided that he'd made the villain too cool and it sent a bad message to people so he whacked him with the idiot bat. :colbert:

Colonel Cool fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 8, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colonel Cool posted:

Before Rich decided that he'd made the villain too cool and it sent a bad message to people so he whacked him with the idiot bat. :colbert:

Lol ok

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

I mean, it's arguably true that Tarquin set himself up in a really great position to manipulate Elan for the rest of his life in a way that nobody in the Order was really qualified to deal with, and in order to have it not be the story where Tarquin wins, he had to take it up a notch into the realm of complete crazitude.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

So a super effective and powerful villain is revealed to have his own hubris be his weakness. Completely unexpected.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Taerkar posted:

So a super effective and powerful villain is revealed to have his own hubris be his weakness. Completely unexpected.

Exactly.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
You could even see Tarquins faults shining through early on. Like when he screwed over the Bounty Hunters because of a joke.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

He leaned on the fourth wall of "I'm a stereotypical evil overlord, and I'm going to play it just enough to my advantage" until it was revealed that the wall's barely held up with chewing gum, hopes and dreams, and so he fell down with it.

That was the whole point.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Colonel Cool posted:

Nah, this whole strip has a lot of the telltale signs of having been at least plotted out well in advance, at least after the end of the original dungeon arc. It's way too internally consistent. I don't doubt a few things have changed as the author himself has (particularly Haley), but with Tarquin in particular, the seeds of his downfall were there from the start.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I mean, I'm half joking. It was obviously all planned to go down this way. I do think Tarquin's characterization shifted radically near the end though in a way that I don't find entirely believable. I think there was a way to do the same basic structure without abruptly flipping the crazy idiot switch.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Also remember his biggest weakness. He thought the story was about him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
tarquins character changes when he goes from being in control to not

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Colonel Cool posted:

I mean, I'm half joking. It was obviously all planned to go down this way. I do think Tarquin's characterization shifted radically near the end though in a way that I don't find entirely believable. I think there was a way to do the same basic structure without abruptly flipping the crazy idiot switch.

its a good thing that didn't happen then

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Colonel Cool posted:

Tarquin couldn't adapt to a situation of which he wasn't in control. I'm not sure what his downfall even could look like other than him totally losing it when he realizes he's not in the story he thinks he is.

E: I guess it could happen slower, but I think most people were starting to get Tarquin fatigue somewhere inside the pyramid.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I still remember being convinced that Tarquin's end was gonna come from Xykon rolling in and casually blasting him to bits, shattering his whole worldview about being the real big bad.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PMush Perfect posted:

I still remember being convinced that Tarquin's end was gonna come from Xykon rolling in and casually blasting him to bits, shattering his whole worldview about being the real big bad.

I still believe Tarquin will end up ashed by "sub boss Zykon" after the Empire of Blood gets toppled by the B-Team Haley and Elan left behind them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Dumb story speculation: assuming the Order cleans this mess up, the next thing Roy is gonna do is Send to Redcloak or Xykon, and clue them in about how their efforts nearly caused the gods to erase the world.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ZearothK posted:

I still believe Tarquin will end up ashed by "sub boss Zykon" after the Empire of Blood gets toppled by the B-Team Haley and Elan left behind them.

Whether all surviving recurring villains make a showing in the final confrontation will basically be synonymous with that.

I'm most excited about the fiends and their actions

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I hope we won't end up with the anime visual novel problem of "villains show up at the home stretch and solve all hanging plot threads with a single laborious infodump".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Dumb story speculation: assuming the Order cleans this mess up, the next thing Roy is gonna do is Send to Redcloak or Xykon, and clue them in about how their efforts nearly caused the gods to erase the world.

Xykon's reaction would definitely be "Close only counts in horseshoes and maximized delayed blast fireballs."

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Random Stranger posted:

Xykon's reaction would definitely be "Close only counts in horseshoes and maximized delayed blast fireballs."

Yeah, but Redcloak, assuming he believed it, would clue in The Dark One, who is obviously being kept in the, uh, dark about all of this, given that he doesn't have a rep at the Godsmoot. I think he'd probably be pretty angry about that.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
The Dark One would have voted to destroy the world though. He already has the back up plan of "Well if I don't get a secret assassin that can kill God's and they destroy the place at least I get a say in how the next world is made." and Redcloak is fully aware of this.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, but Redcloak, assuming he believed it, would clue in The Dark One, who is obviously being kept in the, uh, dark about all of this, given that he doesn't have a rep at the Godsmoot. I think he'd probably be pretty angry about that.

We don't know if The Dark One is in the dark about it, we only got like a two panel shot of everyone except the northern gods and The Dark One isn't in the Northern pantheon.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Okay, Redcloak probably doesnt know that the Gods are voting, but He is incredibly aware that Plan B is: The world gets destroyed and remade, this time with the Dark One getting his turn.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colonel Cool posted:

It was absolutely the point.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Tarquin was lame and dumb and his arc could've been cut short 50 strips for everybody's benefit

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Bad tarquin opinions itt.

A villain who reprises one of them story's main themes and challenges a protagonist directly on their strongest skill is a great thing to examine in as much depth as an author wants

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ikanreed posted:

Bad tarquin opinions itt.

A villain who reprises one of them story's main themes and challenges a protagonist directly on their strongest skill is a great thing to examine in as much depth as an author wants

lovely dads is a theme that had been explored a lot of times already
Plus again it lasted incredibly long

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Calaveron posted:

Plus again it lasted incredibly long

Not in terms of story or strips

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Johnny Aztec posted:

Okay, Redcloak probably doesnt know that the Gods are voting, but He is incredibly aware that Plan B is: The world gets destroyed and remade, this time with the Dark One getting his turn.

I wonder if Redcloak would start to feel differently now that he's got stakes in this world/in a way has already accomplished his goals in the form of the already created goblin utopia.

But it's moot anyway because I don't believe Roy is aware enough of his motivation or of much about him at all aside from being Xykon's lackey to think there'd be any purpose in passing that info along.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Zoe posted:

I wonder if Redcloak would start to feel differently now that he's got stakes in this world/in a way has already accomplished his goals in the form of the already created goblin utopia.

But it's moot anyway because I don't believe Roy is aware enough of his motivation or of much about him at all aside from being Xykon's lackey to think there'd be any purpose in passing that info along.

If they show up for a brief appearance like at the pyramid Roy might yell it at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Taciturn Tactician posted:

We don't know if The Dark One is in the dark about it, we only got like a two panel shot of everyone except the northern gods and The Dark One isn't in the Northern pantheon.

The Dark One isn't in any pantheon, I'm pretty sure, and we do know that his high priest wasn't hanging out with the high priests of any of the pantheons.