Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

no loving way^M
^M
this is amazing^M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

hastag include

:negative:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

retire notepad.exe and bundle VS Code with the OS instead imo

I'm sure there's plenty of other random garbage they could rip out of Windows to make up for the space

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2018/05/07/a-new-microsoft-store-revenue-share-is-coming/

quote:

Starting later this year, consumer applications (not including games) sold in Microsoft Store will deliver to developers 95% of the revenue earned from the purchase of your application or any in-app products in your application, when a customer uses a deep link to get to and purchase your application. When Microsoft delivers you a customer through any other method, such as in a collection on Microsoft Store or any other owned Microsoft properties, and purchases your application, you will receive 85% of the revenue earned from the purchase of your application or any in-app products in your application

please use our store, we're begging you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'm sure there's plenty of other random garbage they could rip out of Windows to make up for the space

nah notepad isn't an IDE, its a text editor and they shouldn't change it at all.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

95% of 0 dollaroos

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

retire wordpad.exe instead

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Potato Salad posted:

Knowing how much of American business is propped up on Excel scaffolding, can you loving imagine how #disruptive and #forward-looking python in Excel would be?

This shouldn't be a hard sell to a company that really wants to enable everyone to continue to make poor decisions. Python in Excel would enable lot of very poor, long term "here's our kinda ERP." JS weirdness presents a high enough barrier of entry to most poo poo-tier businesses (read: most businesses) that they won't be able to truly gently caress themselves good by throwing their everything into financial_sprdsht_v3.1.1c_final.pyxlsx

hello, have you heard of "web apps?"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

may i have layers in paint?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
you can put 3d objects in your image files now

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Wheany posted:

may i have layers in paint?

No, but you can now add 3D objects!

Edit: Dammit, sniped!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wheany posted:

hello, have you heard of "web apps?"

We were not able to verify the certificate of the server, would you like to proceed anyway?
[Not Secure] www2.netapp08.company.local.ad.com:8080/Dallas/userprofiles/mikebsmith/Desktop/junk2/USETHISONEfinancial_sprdsht_v3.1.1c_final6.MikeB(no%20color).pyxlsx

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 8, 2018

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Krankenstyle posted:

95% of 0 dollaroos

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

very cleverly used the excel functionality designed to let you call into web services from excel scripts to call into a web service from an excel script, cleverly subverting the permission dialog by clicking on the button which grants permission?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that's very "ability to execute code leads to code execution"

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

cant wait for the excel port of npm

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NEED MORE MILK posted:

cant wait for the excel port of npm

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

yeah let’s just replace the simple text editor that opens up instantly and is lightweight with a loving electron IDE

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Notepad has terrible support for large files.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Fiedler posted:

iirc notepad has the same plumbing as the start > run text field lol

URL grey tea fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 20, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

paste a GB string in the start/run field pls

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Fiedler posted:

until recently vs code just plain refused to load large files, in this case a 600kb log dump, now it opts to load it with a warning

skull mask mcgee posted:

yeah let’s just replace the simple text editor that opens up instantly and is lightweight with a loving electron IDE

maybe just bundle it as well. notepad, wordpad, and vs code all serve different segments well why keep forcing them into one large application like its some office app?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i will say that vs code feeling like i stole a really nice editor from somewhere and someone is going to trip the shareware mod on it and ruin my day

i used to be a textmate/sublime user for years and its like someone merged those two and added a good addon community. with the terminal panel open its basically the only tool i need to do everything which is crazy nice especially for something that works consistently on all platforms

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
VS Code is a gateway drug.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Fiedler posted:

VS Code is a gateway drug.

first you use vs code, then you get an azure account :getin:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i dont like any of the electron editors, i miss sublime and being able to open gigantic files. but what choice do we have???

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i like the version control butons in vs code

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pram posted:

i dont like any of the electron editors, i miss sublime and being able to open gigantic files. but what choice do we have???
sublime text 3.1 was released not too long ago

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bbedit is the best text editor

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

qirex posted:

bbedit is the best text editor

:hai:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i get that there usually aren't any wrong opinions but ehhh....

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol just lol if you dont stubbornly use the first random editor you tried forever

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Notepad++ forever

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If you need to open a giant file that notepad can't handle you are most like using the wrong tool for the job

Try http://glogg.bonnefon.org

Unless you absolutely, positively need to edit some entry inside a 20GB log file and save it afterwards.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ill repeat to all people spouting bollocks about large files and vs code - update your poo poo. half a year ago it could open up to 300 mb files for me, now it has no problem with 2 gb files, including search and syntactic highlight and everything

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lambert posted:

Notepad++ forever

Boiled Water posted:

i get that there usually aren't any wrong opinions but ehhh....

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i just discovered a new sql manager / script execution program that's cross platform and also good and made by microsoft and also free: SQL Operations Studio https://github.com/Microsoft/sqlopsstudio

i'm also amazed that everything around microsoft is amazing and the core (made up of everything touched by windows) is a fire of garbage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. its funny to see idiots on bad oses suddenly get working tools from Microsoft and then get all butt hurt that they could have had this vastly superior experience on windows for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cinci zoo sniper posted:

ill repeat to all people spouting bollocks about large files and vs code - update your poo poo. half a year ago it could open up to 300 mb files for me, now it has no problem with 2 gb files, including search and syntactic highlight and everything

it just complained about a log file on the latest release. maybe i misread the size and the log was 600mb, but its what it did

now, mind you, it opened the dmp fine and was able to load it without issue but it still groused at me. it might also be that the file was an unrecognized type, so it was uncertain how it could handle a large unknown file type but it did fine

either way its still a handy editor and i have it so customized at this point that im backing the file up to other machines for convenience and security in case one copy gets wiped unexpectedly