Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Some Numbers posted:

If only there were a way to get more copies of all the stuff, but of course, FFG prevents you from buying a second conversion kit or trading materials with other people.

It is truly an unsolvable problem. :v:

The funny thing is that the dude locally who is the most vocally upset about 2E is a guy who is EXCLUSIVELY an Imperial player. As in, has never bought a non-Imperial ship, but has instead bought the piecemeal upgrades he needs from other ships. (like autothrusters before the Silencer was released, harpoon missiles, crack shot, etc.)

But in the bright new future, he can just buy a core set, one or two empire conversion kits and then NEVER AGAIN have to buy upgrades on the secondary market that exclusively come with other faction expansions. He should be most thrilled about this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Thanks for this. Now I walk down the same decision tree as always happens when I consider travelling for x-wing.

OK, flights are going to be $350.
Hotel will probably be about that much again, if I can find someone to split with.
Registration is $20, and I'll need to take one or two vacation days.
So I'm looking at $700 and a couple vacation days to play x-wing for a weekend.

And then every time I decide I'd rather spend the $700 and 2 vacation days on a different vacation :shrug:

Do you happen to live somewhere near a reasonable highway route between Tulsa, OK and Indianapolis? I'm working together a carpool group and I'll probably have at least one extra seat.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

canyoneer posted:

It is truly an unsolvable problem. :v:

The funny thing is that the dude locally who is the most vocally upset about 2E is a guy who is EXCLUSIVELY an Imperial player. As in, has never bought a non-Imperial ship, but has instead bought the piecemeal upgrades he needs from other ships. (like autothrusters before the Silencer was released, harpoon missiles, crack shot, etc.)

But in the bright new future, he can just buy a core set, one or two empire conversion kits and then NEVER AGAIN have to buy upgrades on the secondary market that exclusively come with other faction expansions. He should be most thrilled about this!

Then what he's the most upset about was all the poo poo he decided to put himself through as a grown rear end man chasing down tiny cards in order to attain that perfect and elusive Imperial meta in a game involving small toy plastic space ships.

He's basically mad at himself.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 8, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Do you happen to live somewhere near a reasonable highway route between Tulsa, OK and Indianapolis? I'm working together a carpool group and I'll probably have at least one extra seat.

Naah, Phoenix. Moved away from Oklahoma in 2007. I appreciate the offer though :)

AndyElusive posted:

Then what he's the most upset about was all the poo poo he decided to put himself through as a grown rear end man chasing down tiny cards in order to attain that perfect and elusive Imperial meta in a game involving small toy plastic space ships.

He has no one to be angry at than himself.

The guy buys SO MUCH extra x-wing stuff too. Extra templates, dial covers, custom painted ships, acrylics for everything, unofficial alt-arts, etc. It's nuts.
He's a nice guy and I always enjoy my games with him, but he's definitely something of an odd bird.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ya there's definitely nothing wrong with spending money how they see fit in respects to Wang, it's just the childish reaction to the update that's insufferable.

They chose to dump that much expendable money when they embraced the hobby, especially on that much extra poo poo that no one actually needs to enjoy the game, seemingly aware of what they were buying into. Then to turn around and be outraged like they've been done wrong by FFG because of the 2.0 update? Get hosed, you manchildren.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wonder if we'll get one last 1.0 FAQ with the release of Wave 14. Sort of a last hurrah and example of why 2.0 is needed.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I wonder if we'll get one last 1.0 FAQ with the release of Wave 14. Sort of a last hurrah and example of why 2.0 is needed.

Attack timing chart goes away, all effects are considered simultaneous and settled by initiative order, all errata goes away, and TLT is now a 0 point upgrade (so you can run 5 Y-Wings with them now)

I expect they will though. I think the Star Wars LCG got a final FAQ before Worlds (and they are still going to have NA/Euro champs for it)

AndyElusive posted:

Ya there's definitely nothing wrong with spending money how they see fit in respects to Wang, it's just the childish reaction to the update that's insufferable.

They chose to dump that much expendable money when they embraced the hobby, especially on that much extra poo poo that no one actually needs to enjoy the game, seemingly aware of what they were buying into. Then to turn around and be outraged like they've been done wrong by FFG because of the 2.0 update? Get hosed, you manchildren.

Yeah. This dude dumped a TON of money into the game, but I'd charitably estimate that at most 1/3rd of it went to FFG for sealed retail stuff.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I think there'll be one more, but the only change might be 'All OG X-Wings are actually T-65 X-Wings.'

I'm curious to see what they wind up doing with the new FO and Resistance factions, supposedly wave 2. Rerelease the TIE/FO, Silencer, T-70 and Bomber?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Maybe Wave 2 will be exclusively new Resistance F/O ships like the Resistance a-wing, or the F/O *checks notes* TIE bomber or that tiny shuttle?

Look, I got nothing here.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Naah, Phoenix. Moved away from Oklahoma in 2007. I appreciate the offer though :)

I'm jealous. :(

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

Maybe Wave 2 will be exclusively new Resistance F/O ships like the Resistance a-wing, or the F/O *checks notes* TIE bomber or that tiny shuttle?

Look, I got nothing here.

With the episode IX a year and a half off I would expect Resistance and F/O releases to be few and very far apart. Unless the NuEU has a lot of new ships I guess.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you showed up to a store-level event playing TIE/FOs as 2.0 TIE/lns, do you think anyone would notice or care?

Just say you had them custom painted.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

canyoneer posted:

What's the scene like in AZ? I just moved out to the Grand Canyon to work for the Park Service, and while I'm under no illusions about how often I'll actually be able to get in games without driving an obscene amount, it would be nice to stop by an event or two while I'm here.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

canyoneer posted:

7 TIE Fighters

Oh my sweet summer child.

I think I had 13 at last count? Sigh.

Edit: Luckily you can’t really fly more than 7.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

With the episode IX a year and a half off I would expect Resistance and F/O releases to be few and very far apart. Unless the NuEU has a lot of new ships I guess.

Star Wars: Resistance is out this year, so I'm betting we'll see things from that too.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

What's the scene like in AZ? I just moved out to the Grand Canyon to work for the Park Service, and while I'm under no illusions about how often I'll actually be able to get in games without driving an obscene amount, it would be nice to stop by an event or two while I'm here.

It's really good.
Phoenix area has a pretty big group and is the epicenter of the community (conveniently centrally located!)
Join the X-Wing Miniatures Phoenix Squadron group. We have 1,000 members, and there are two stores with standing monthly kit tournaments (one on Saturday, one on Sunday).
Last year we had... 3? regionals in the Phoenix area, and the system open. The regionals had 80+ people, and great prize support beyond the OP kit. I expect we'll get another system open next season. Our godfather here is big in the judging/event scene and real tight with the designers, FFG OP and Cascade Games.

I know that we also have people in Flagstaff and Prescott. Flagstaff has a facebook group with 40 people in it, but it looks like half of them are Phoenix people. I know they have a store up there that supports X-Wing pretty well and runs events. I've played a few of the Prescott/Flagstaff guys in events, and they've all been really great dudes. Not too far if you're on the South Rim.

Tucson has a pretty good group too, and despite being a lot smaller they are really active with leagues and such. They come up to Phoenix for store champs and regionals, and there are some really great players there.

Definitely join the annual Phoenix Squadron Championships later this year if your schedule allows. That's always a great time. ~120 players in 4 player pods split geographically, round robin 2 games to each opponent, which feeds into a bracketed double-elimination 32 player final. Really fun.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Huxley posted:

If you showed up to a store-level event playing TIE/FOs as 2.0 TIE/lns, do you think anyone would notice or care?

Just say you had them custom painted.

I doubt anyone really would unless the TO or tournament people, or even league people were assholes. I do recall one guy getting mad that someone painted their T-70 to look like a stock T-65, and when it did a T-Roll it led to a discussion of “being shady to trick people”.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ringo Star Get posted:

I doubt anyone really would unless the TO or tournament people, or even league people were assholes. I do recall one guy getting mad that someone painted their T-70 to look like a stock T-65, and when it did a T-Roll it led to a discussion of “being shady to trick people”.

There's explicitly a rule about misleading modifications. I'd say "paint the T70 to look like a T64" falls under that.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

There's explicitly a rule about misleading modifications. I'd say "paint the T70 to look like a T64" falls under that.

Ah poo poo. I've got a TIE/LN that I painted to look like a TIE/FO before FFG officially even announced it as part of the game. I'm a shady trickster!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

On the other hand, if you aren't giving your opponent's list at least a cursory inspection to see what you're up against, you're an idiot.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

canyoneer posted:

It's really good.
Phoenix area has a pretty big group and is the epicenter of the community (conveniently centrally located!)
Join the X-Wing Miniatures Phoenix Squadron group. We have 1,000 members, and there are two stores with standing monthly kit tournaments (one on Saturday, one on Sunday).
Last year we had... 3? regionals in the Phoenix area, and the system open. The regionals had 80+ people, and great prize support beyond the OP kit. I expect we'll get another system open next season. Our godfather here is big in the judging/event scene and real tight with the designers, FFG OP and Cascade Games.

I know that we also have people in Flagstaff and Prescott. Flagstaff has a facebook group with 40 people in it, but it looks like half of them are Phoenix people. I know they have a store up there that supports X-Wing pretty well and runs events. I've played a few of the Prescott/Flagstaff guys in events, and they've all been really great dudes. Not too far if you're on the South Rim.

Tucson has a pretty good group too, and despite being a lot smaller they are really active with leagues and such. They come up to Phoenix for store champs and regionals, and there are some really great players there.

Definitely join the annual Phoenix Squadron Championships later this year if your schedule allows. That's always a great time. ~120 players in 4 player pods split geographically, round robin 2 games to each opponent, which feeds into a bracketed double-elimination 32 player final. Really fun.

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to getting some games in once I get settled.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

ConfusedUs posted:

That's pushing it, though, since there are "Red Squadron" pilots for the T70. Plus the two ships really don't look THAT much alike unless you're not looking directly at them. You can still ID the ship visually from a distance. Someone whining that they didn't notice the difference is on them if the players were using the correct models.

The TIE/LN to FO mod is a little bit worse, since the only change in the model's detail is the FO's vertical arrangement of the engine nozzles on the back that I doubt most people even notice if it's not pointed out.

That said, just lol if you don't know what your opponent is flying

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ConfusedUs posted:

"Judge! My opponent tried to trick me by flying Poe with a T-65 model!"

"And you didn't check to see if Poe could legally fly in a T-65?"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ConfusedUs posted:

All that says to me is one dude was such an rear end in a top hat about it that FFG put in the rule to make him get out of the lobby.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I can see putting a T-65s wings and engines on a T-70 body, or modifying a G1A to look like a K-Wing being an issue. Paint jobs I think are cleared as OK since the physical model isn’t modified.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

TremorX posted:

The TIE/LN to FO mod is a little bit worse, since the only change in the model's detail is the FO's vertical arrangement of the engine nozzles on the back that I doubt most people even notice if it's not pointed out.

Also the solar panels are more detailed and detailed differently. And the laser mounts. And the scale is slightly different, but you'd need a comparison model to really notice that.

If it were a competition, I'd say that you're within your rights to complain about a ship that was painted to resemble a similarly-modeled ship. Regionals or Nationals or Worlds? Yeah, kind of a dick move. It's attempting to force an error, and that's unsportsmanlike conduct.

I wouldn't care if it was in casual play.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JReZ57jFpNE

:yarg:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I've had a guy in a tournament tell me before the round began that he grabbed the wrong model, and was using a T-65 in place of a Z-95.
I said OK, and neither of us had a problem with it. Like most things, if you're up front about it and not being sneaky, it shouldn't be a problem.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The rule against misleading modifications is in the tournament rules, not the core rules, which is fine with me. :)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yeah, I'm never going to willfully allow anyone I play to think that the painted TIE/LN is an FO. First it doesn't really serve any kind of advantage in doing so and second, it's just a dick move.

On the other hand, I might use that LN as an FO, in which case, I'd make that pretty obvious with base token, pilot card, dials, etc and also with a cursory "Oh by the way? This TIE? The one painted like a FO *holds up spaceship* ...is actually an FO, not like last game where it was just a TIE" in a casual or tournament setting.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Reason #341 I am excited for X-Wing 2.0:
It is easier than ever to proxy any of the Wave 1-13 ships in casual play. Don't have two Ghosts? That's OK, the conversion kit has the cardboard and dials you need.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Improbable Lobster posted:

I’m very behind on it, so I don’t know if they’ve shown anything that’s not in 7 or 8, but there’s also the Poe Dameron comic that has the possibly of them puttin some new ships in

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

OniPanda posted:

I’m very behind on it, so I don’t know if they’ve shown anything that’s not in 7 or 8, but there’s also the Poe Dameron comic that has the possibly of them puttin some new ships in

:pray:

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.
The gently caress is that‽

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Hilariously awesome is what that is.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Smegmalicious posted:

An ugly

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

That would loving rule, yes.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Smegmalicious posted:

Mining cartel ship from Rebels. Mining tug with scrapyard tie panels welded on.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Still not quite as stupid looking as the K-Wing tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Pretty sure it's one of the uglies from the Poe Dameron comic. There's a lot of stupid ships used by some criminal gang in one of those comics.

ETA: yup.