Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I actually saw a cop where I wanted to see one today. Blue is a big rig, red it the dumbass who decided to block 2.5 lanes of the intersection in his minivan because he couldn’t wait for another cycle of the light. Green arrow is the cop who swung out around to light the minivan up, and pulled him over in the parking lot in the lower right while I was waiting to turn left on the other side of the rig.

People block this intersection all the time and it sucks because it’s a hugely busy intersection of two main roads, even though it’s in a tiny town in bumfuck PA. Just to the NE is one of the biggest hospitals in the state so the area gets a ton of traffic. It’s a well-designed intersection with left-turn signals , doesn’t take too long between cycles etc. but people always do this dumbass poo poo and ruin it for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
That Uber car totally saw the bicyclist, btw, but decided it had time to get out of the way later.

quote:

Uber has reportedly discovered that the fatal crash involving one of its prototype self-driving cars was probably caused by software faultily set up to ignore objects in the road, sources told The Information. The autonomous programming detects items around the vehicle and operators fine-tune its sensitivity to make sure it only reacts to true threats (solid objects instead of bags, for example). Unfortunately, the car's software was supposedly set too far in the other direction, and didn't stop in time to avoid hitting bicyclist Elaine Herzberg.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/07/uber-crash-reportedly-caused-by-software-that-ignored-objects-in/

quote:

The car’s sensors detected the pedestrian, who was crossing the street with a bicycle, but Uber’s software decided it didn’t need to react right away.
https://www.theinformation.com/articles/uber-finds-deadly-accident-likely-caused-by-software-set-to-ignore-objects-on-road

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
almost like these here automatic cars shouldnt be allowed to test on public roads or something

or maybe use lidar sensors that arent considered utter trash in the industry

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But it reads like the sensors worked like they're supposed to, the software interpreting the stream is just trash. Unless there's more detail in the paywall article, it seems like uber put it in "no fucks given" mode to avoid the car panic stopping over minor road debris instead of developing the ability to detect a living creature and/or a real obstacle.

I'm fine with testing on public roads but the companies doing it shouldn't be taking shortcuts. Almost like there should be some oversight or something instead of a wild west head out and see what happens method.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

xzzy posted:

But it reads like the sensors worked like they're supposed to, the software interpreting the stream is just trash. Unless there's more detail in the paywall article, it seems like uber put it in "no fucks given" mode to avoid the car panic stopping over minor road debris instead of developing the ability to detect a living creature and/or a real obstacle.

I'm fine with testing on public roads but the companies doing it shouldn't be taking shortcuts. Almost like there should be some oversight or something instead of a wild west head out and see what happens method.

As someone who works in aviation software, we have to comply with a fuckton of stuff like DO-178C to ensure safety of critical flight systems. Doubly so when it's a piece of software relating to automation. I really hope the auto industry gets something similar.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Give Uber executives bicycles and put them in the middle of the street with their own product bearing down on them.

I’m not cruel; I would allow them to plead “guilty” in lieu of trial by ordeal.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Fermented Tinal posted:

Here you are supposed to turn into the nearest available lane, which can sometimes be the far lane.

In reality, people turn into whichever lane they want and cops rarely do anything about it.

I've only been pulled over once for turning into the far outside lane and it was when I was driving home from work after midnight on St. Patrick's day. Unsurprisingly the officer tried to get me for drunk driving and speeding, the latter of which he had no proof, and the former I proved wrong by taking a breathalyzer. I'd have been upset but honestly, all he did was waste his time and end up letting me go with a warning to "watch my speed". They're notorious in my county for pulling people over for bullshit reasons, then overstepping their bounds to try to get more things added to the citation.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I generally work on leaving in the same lane I started in, but more to a point, I drive around what all the other idiots are doing. The letter of the law runs a poor second to not getting hit by someone.

RollsRoyce
Feb 11, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I was approaching a four way intersection, going to take a right when I reached it, which is the street I live on (Not that it matters for this story). I get to the intersection there's a car sitting blocking the right turn, a car in the middle of my street that was pointed as if it was going the direction I'd be going if I made a right turn, and a car sitting idling facing me in the opposing lane of the street I'm on. And there's a few people standing around chatting with the people in the cars with all their windows rolled down.

I'm about to honk my horn to let this clusterfuck know someone wants through when the car on my street lights up its reverse lights and starts backing into the car blocking the intersection and the car in front of me blocking the intersection gets thrown into reverse and comes flying backwards at me. The first car to back up backs all the way through the intersection and keeps going up the street, the car in front of me turns down my street the way I want to go without signalling, the third car has yet to move an inch, and there's still three people standing in the street chatting.

Had to squeeze between the curb and the chatters because they weren't moving, dicks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Best 2 bits of driving advice I ever got growing up, one of them was almost word for word the above, the other was "driving safely is 15% how you're driving, and 85% how the morons around you are driving."

“Cemeteries are full of people who had the right of way.”

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Driving (well, riding with my dad) on a two lane back road today, going 55 in a 55. Dude in a Scion starts tailgating us, so my dad gets over so they can pass, and then they proceed to get in front of us and go 45. This poo poo is why people don't get over to let tailgaters pass.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Aggro all over the highways.

My bonehead encounter for today was an old dude in a newish chev SUV getting on I-90 in front me. The guy hits 35 halfway up the ramp and then holds it there until bumping it up to 40 just at the top of the ramp. There's a string of traffic in the left lane (everybody shifted over! a pleasant surprise!) and the geezer is at a solid 45 when he eases in beside a semi and then proceeds to get up to almost the limit and pace the semi for a mile or so. The semi was probably governed at 65 and gently caress it was not pretty. Both lanes boxed at the limit exactly until the semi managed to squeak by the oblivious idiot on a downhill.

The guy behind me though was pretty aware and just settled in for the ride until all the crap in front of us got sorted.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Javid posted:

Driving (well, riding with my dad) on a two lane back road today, going 55 in a 55. Dude in a Scion starts tailgating us, so my dad gets over so they can pass, and then they proceed to get in front of us and go 45. This poo poo is why people don't get over to let tailgaters pass.
Well, if he was in the outside lane because he was overtaking people, he's using the road correctly, and he should pull over after completing his overtake. You don't need to scurry out the way just because.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Been running into a lot of this around here: I wish I saw more of this.

You don't make a left until its clear, rear end in a top hat. Two lanes aren't for two people. They're entirely for the person making the right turn at his discretion.:lol:

This is correct incorrect mode:

I used to be a driver trainer helping people earn their CDL, I was legally obligated to explain to people why you always turn into the nearest lane be it the right lane when turning right, or left when turning left. The only time when I will break that rule is if the parking lot I need to turn into is on the left side, across the intersection, and has a barrier preventing me from making a left on the other side of the intersection, at which point I will make a left turn and end in the right lane so I can make a right into the parking lot.

This is literally the only gas station that I am aware of in my town where this is an issue, if approaching from the north on Rock Road, you can not make the turn after the intersection due to the barrier. You can make a left, and then quickly get over into the right lane, or if you don't want to be an rear end in a top hat you could even go down to the next driveway and have more time to get over instead of cutting everyone off in your turn.

xzzy posted:

ulmont posted:

Uber has reportedly discovered that the fatal crash involving one of its prototype self-driving cars was probably caused by software faultily set up to ignore objects in the road, sources told The Information. The autonomous programming detects items around the vehicle and operators fine-tune its sensitivity to make sure it only reacts to true threats (solid objects instead of bags, for example). Unfortunately, the car's software was supposedly set too far in the other direction, and didn't stop in time to avoid hitting bicyclist Elaine Herzberg.
I think the part where it says the operator (I'm assuming the Uber driver?) adjusts the sensitivity to avoid false threats should put this all on operator error, not so much software error. From the way that article reads, I assumed they meant they let the driver decide what is a valid threat or not, which would make sense because they could actually see what the computer is confused about as opposed to a programmer in another state trying to guess if "unknown object surface area 300sq ft" is a human or not. I am a little surprised they are not using a good human detector, like an infrared sensor to determine if that 98.6f mass is a meat bag or a runaway plastic sack. However, I'm not certain, will a human wearing a nice insulated jacket in winter not show up on an infrared camera?

For shitastic driving tales, I have a story to tell. Last Sunday morning I was driving to work, absolutely minimal traffic, I had recently passed a minivan so I was in the left lane there were no other cars in front of me or behind me, I was doing 80 in a 65, faster than I usually go and faster than most traffic goes. I saw a black Acura SUV in the right lane, I was closing in on them quickly, I could have got over into the right lane for like 2 seconds but there was no reason to do so, it was obvious I would end up passing them. The driver chose to wait until I got beside them before accelerating to pace my speed, I did not wish to play games with an inattentive driver who had insecurities about being passed by faster traffic, I simply accelerated to 85, overtook in seconds, placed a little distance between my car and the SUV and resumed my 80mph speed. 2.5 miles later, the Acura SUV came up from behind, to start tailgating me because hey gently caress you, you cant pass me, I'm in an Acura! I started to approach a slow moving Honda in the right lane, but the highway came to a Y intersection in a quarter mile, it's a lovely spot to pass. Not only does the highway come to a Y, there is also an exit lane so for a very short stretch there are three lanes and the Acura quickly switched into the 3rd exit only lane and accelerated. The Honda actually needed that exit and cut off the Acura driver forcing the Acura to get behind me once again. I took the ramp with the Acura inches off my bumper, then merged into over 2 lanes as the Acura swerved over wildly - I have to switch two lanes because once again, the first lane is exit only and the exit I need is the middle lane. After the Acura got behind me, the driver was still raging the gently caress out and switched back into the exit only right lane. The Acura then proceeded to accelerate to pass me, the minivan in front of me, and a semi (it's like a 1/2 mile stretch) before crossing the gore point to continue on going north, if the Acura really knew they wanted to go north it would have been far easier, safer, and faster to switch to the left lane for passing to continue going north. This is why I hate driving, not just laziness but bitchy "I'm king/queen of the road" attitudes that will pull retarded poo poo to prove a point. I guess maybe I should not have accelerated when I realized the Acura was speeding up, but really if someone wants to prevent another vehicle from passing for no reason at all, I would feel much safer just accelerating a little, putting distance, and then getting over. I think most drivers realize that yes, I really do want to drive faster than you and am willing do so.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Some impatient rear end beeped at me yesterday as soon as the light turned green. I was in the process of putting my truck in first to start going, it was green for a fraction of a second. I was towing 3k lbs of trailer and mower so I kept it under 30mph in a 45 and didnt downshift for the upcoming hill. Must have been doing about 20 at the top of that bad boy. Right after was my right turn I had to take so I took longer than the oldest driver in Florida to get my truck and trailer into the driveway. That ball of rage must have been 3 inches from the back of my trailer the whole time. I hope I ruined his whole yesterday and part of today thinking about me.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

shy boy from chess club posted:

Some impatient rear end beeped at me yesterday as soon as the light turned green. I was in the process of putting my truck in first to start going, it was green for a fraction of a second. I was towing 3k lbs of trailer and mower so I kept it under 30mph in a 45 and didnt downshift for the upcoming hill. Must have been doing about 20 at the top of that bad boy. Right after was my right turn I had to take so I took longer than the oldest driver in Florida to get my truck and trailer into the driveway. That ball of rage must have been 3 inches from the back of my trailer the whole time. I hope I ruined his whole yesterday and part of today thinking about me.

Cool good job you made life worse for someone because they bothered you a little bit. You don't know what's going on in their life, but you did it anyway because they blemished your pride or something.

Maybe just ignore people and do things appropriately instead of actively making the world worse.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nah, gently caress impatient assholes.

Lack of patience on their part does not constitute an emergency or special consideration on mine.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Getting to drive my speed is freedom. :patriot:

Having to drive your speed is tyrannical oppression. :argh:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Getting to drive my speed is freedom. :patriot:

Having to drive your speed is tyrannical oppression. :argh:
Stop doxxing me. . .

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

InitialDave posted:

Well, if he was in the outside lane because he was overtaking people, he's using the road correctly, and he should pull over after completing his overtake. You don't need to scurry out the way just because.

:ssh: a two lane road is one lane in each direction

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I rarely find myself in a situation where I want to angrily honk at someone but on those moments I remember that my car has the flimsiest sounding horn and I refuse to actually use it unless it’s an emergency or something.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I rarely find myself in a situation where I want to angrily honk at someone but on those moments I remember that my car has the flimsiest sounding horn and I refuse to actually use it unless it’s an emergency or something.
The last time I used my horn, I was making a protected left and the oncoming traffic had been red for a second or two but no cars had stopped yet. I got about halfway through the turn when I saw nothing but the top of a cowboy hat in a pickup barreling towards me at a high speed, I fully believed I was about to get t-boned so I used the horn and the pickup came to a screeching halt a good 15 feet away from me. I finally saw the pickup drivers eyes as he looked up from his phone to flip me off, I guess I'm sorry I prevented him from t-boning me, but there are easier ways to stop a vehicle than driving by braille.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Treat it like it's a baby making noises. A quick chirp is cute and funny, but a long wail triggers all kinds of biological programming.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Bring back two-stage horns from '80s luxury cars. Use the technology from blinking brake lights to make them pressure-activated.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The horn in my van has about a 40% chance of activating in any given day so I might need to start carrying an air horn or something.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

The last time I used my horn, I was making a protected left and the oncoming traffic had been red for a second or two but no cars had stopped yet. I got about halfway through the turn when I saw nothing but the top of a cowboy hat in a pickup barreling towards me at a high speed, I fully believed I was about to get t-boned so I used the horn and the pickup came to a screeching halt a good 15 feet away from me. I finally saw the pickup drivers eyes as he looked up from his phone to flip me off, I guess I'm sorry I prevented him from t-boning me, but there are easier ways to stop a vehicle than driving by braille.

It will never cease to amaze me how pissed off a lovely driver will get at somebody else for their own gently caress up.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KozmoNaut posted:

Nah, gently caress impatient assholes.

Lack of patience on their part does not constitute an emergency or special consideration on mine.

Deliberately slow-playing in order to piss someone off is special consideration.

xzzy posted:

Treat it like it's a baby making noises. A quick chirp is cute and funny, but a long wail triggers all kinds of biological programming.

One time in my '82 Reliant I blipped the horn at someone who was asleep at the green light and it stuck in the on position. The look he gave me in his rear-view as he pulled away from the light was wonderful. I had to pull into a parking lot and pop the hood and disconnect the wires to get it to stop.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 8, 2018

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I just had a close encounter of the dipshit kind.

I was coming off a cloverleaf ramp onto surface road at about 35 mph. Checked my mirror and there was an SUV about 3 car lengths back going the same speed as me. I put on my blinker to merge in ahead of her and she FLOORS it, lays on the horn and blocks me from merging in. I slow down so I don't run out of space to merge over, and she cuts in front of me and slams on her brakes to slow down for the curve of the on-ramp.

In what world was this a better decision than just crossing over to my lane behind me? Bear in mind on the other side of the road was a cop on construction detail who watched this whole thing. I saw him shaking his head in my rear-view.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

In what world was this a better decision than just crossing over to my lane behind me?

Jackass being insanely aggressive for no good reason, cops doing nothing at all, my guess California?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

:ssh: a two lane road is one lane in each direction
I wasn't sure on your terminology tbh, I took it to mean two lanes each way.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

FogHelmut posted:

Been running into a lot of this around here:

You don't make a left until its clear, rear end in a top hat. Two lanes aren't for two people. They're entirely for the person making the right turn at his discretion.

This is correct mode:

This is really annoying here (Sweden) as well. We have a rule that states that you aren't allowed to impede traffic on the road you are on (i.e. traffic coming the other way), nor are you allowed to impede traffic on the road you are turning onto (i.e. people turning right and then placing themselves in the left lane). There are couple of these that I frequent a lot, where I have to make a right and then a left soon after. So many times idiots turning left almost drive into my while I'm placing myself in the left lane. But it's just dumb to go to the left lane for no reason, just bad for traffic flow.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Dave Inc. posted:

Cool good job you made life worse for someone because they bothered you a little bit. You don't know what's going on in their life, but you did it anyway because they blemished your pride or something.

Maybe just ignore people and do things appropriately instead of actively making the world worse.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - regardless of circumstances, being a dangerous rear end in a top hat is stupid and pointless. Unless it's police, EMT or fire/rescue, tailgaters can eat a loving dick. Especially in a situation where someone can't help their speed or is trying to be careful for the sake of other people on the road.

Rage all you want, but the sooner you realize how unimportant you are to literally 99% of the world, the better off you'll be.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - regardless of circumstances, being a dangerous rear end in a top hat is stupid and pointless. Unless it's police, EMT or fire/rescue, tailgaters can eat a loving dick. Especially in a situation where someone can't help their speed or is trying to be careful for the sake of other people on the road.

Rage all you want, but the sooner you realize how unimportant you are to literally 99% of the world, the better off you'll be.

Not sure why you're quoting me. The guy I was responding to was modifying their behavior to aggravate another driver because they insulted his pride with a horn (the gall!). No mention of tail-gating or being a dangerous rear end in a top hat (aside from the guy impeding traffic).

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Dave Inc. posted:

Not sure why you're quoting me. The guy I was responding to was modifying their behavior to aggravate another driver because they insulted his pride with a horn (the gall!). No mention of tail-gating or being a dangerous rear end in a top hat (aside from the guy impeding traffic).

Well the fact that the guy using the horn was (a) an impatient jackass and (b) could see that the person ahead was hauling a trailer and still decided to be an rear end in a top hat is why I quoted you. Whether or not you realize it, you come off as defending a whiny rear end in a top hat who was being more dangerous than a guy who decided to slow down a few mph.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I was having a bad day too and I did absolutely nothing wrong or dangerous so that guy can go gently caress himself. In fact I made the situation more safe since he was going to tailgate regardless and having him hit me at a lower speed would be better.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
gently caress him. i hope he stewed over that poo poo all day.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Had a guy in a truck cut me off to change from a left-turn lane into a straight lane, proceed through the intersection and across a bridge, then slow down absurdly to change lanes into the inside lane of the following left-turn-only double turn, then nearly change lanes into me without signalling back into the outside lane of the must-turn, and then go straight through the intersection.

I wish very much for his death and/or the revocation of his driving license.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 9, 2018

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

xzzy posted:

There is so much terrible in this gif I don't even know where to start:

a) Public road
b) Dodging traffic
c) Shitheads filming it standing in the road
d) Police responding to an accident in the background and still attempting this poo poo
e) Being a bad driver

https://i.imgur.com/e12WFV8.gifv

From another thread- *ENHANCE*

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Holy gently caress, I knew that was on route 17 but I didn't realize it was literally at the intersection of 17, 4 and the Garden State Plaza.
For the record, 4 turns into literally the George Washington Bridge, and the Garden State Plaza is the biggest mall in the state)

red circles are where the crashes are. The satellite photos don't do the area justice, it's always a gigantic clusterfuck.
Also that H-Mart opened like <2 weeks ago so those photos are very recent :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RollsRoyce
Feb 11, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I was on a one way, three lane road, in the far right lane. Ahead of me is a small red SUV with a pickup in front of it. Red SUV changes lanes to the far left lane, SUV changes lanes to cut her off. SUV moves to middle lane, passes pickup, pickup merges back into the middle lane behind her.

I'm going a little faster than they are, and was about to pass them before their little ballet, so I end up passing the pickup on the right, when suddenly the SUV cuts me off and stands on her brake while flipping me off. I didn't have anything to do with it lady!

Needless to say I exited stage left as soon as possible and took another route. Time for a dash cam I think.