Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

what the absolute gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Shadowlyger posted:

So, Scott has finished implementing all of the characters for Ultimate Custom Night. Here's how they work.

Yes, all fifty of them can be active at once.

Holy poo poo the entry for "Toy Freddy" is magical.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
How long will it take for some madman to beat the custom night with every animatronic active? 24 hours? 12 hours?

Also really interested to see what "Trash and the Gang" does

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The whole lore vid thing reminds me of when 1 2 3 Slaughter Me Street came out and there was this 1 random dude on youtube who kept trying to put up lore vids over it with stuff like "guys is there a hidden puppet in the trailer? who is it, what does it mean??" and it's like nobody cares dude, nobody gives a poo poo about 1 2 3 slaughter me street, give it up.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FirstAidKite posted:

The whole lore vid thing reminds me of when 1 2 3 Slaughter Me Street came out and there was this 1 random dude on youtube who kept trying to put up lore vids over it with stuff like "guys is there a hidden puppet in the trailer? who is it, what does it mean??" and it's like nobody cares dude, nobody gives a poo poo about 1 2 3 slaughter me street, give it up.

I've never heard of this and just looked it up and that is some try hard stuff lol

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Shadowlyger posted:

So, Scott has finished implementing all of the characters for Ultimate Custom Night. Here's how they work.

At that point you aren't playing a game you're just programming your own loving panic attack

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Shadowlyger posted:

ARE YOU READY FOR YOUR LIFE TO END AT THE HANDS OF FREDDY AND ALL HIS FRIENDS?

FirstAidKite posted:

I tried to like 123 Slaughterme Street(I literally just figured out that 'slaughter me' is supposed to sound like 'sesame' and I'm angry now) so hard but the second game is just such a terrible Slender clone(when Alice Wants To Play is a better version of your game, something is very wrong) and the first game is just really loving weird. Bad weird. The weird where the gameplay doesn't seem to have coherent rules and every map looks exactly the same.

Plus the plot is extremely simple, the second one is just a prequel. "Dude makes sesame street puppets. Puppets are evil or he's just crazy. Dude kills his daughter and plays hide and seek with demons until the police show up. He runs away and hides in an abandoned building. Then he plays Red Light-Green Light with demons until they trap him in the basement and burn him alive." how do you make more than a five minute video out of that?

Jukebox Hero fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 5, 2018

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

It's a shame 1 2 3 Slaughterme Street wasn't better because I liked the monster puppet designs, they were fun.

There's a FNaF-heavy YouTuber/streamer named Dawko who is taking on Cawthon's 50/20 challenge mode: if he can eventually beat it Cawthon will do an interview on Dawko's podcast, but if Dawko gives up he has to make a fan game where he bows down to Cawthon's superior programing skills. Keep in mind this is all in good fun and no matter what happens it's probably going to end up in a big charity donation via Dawko's streams; Cawthon made a playable "FANF 7" for a silly video already.

FNaF isn't quite the origin of "L O R E" and it's hardly a nuanced story but I think it does a far better job about providing just enough information to keep people guessing as opposed to leaning on people going hog wild with ideas. Hello Neighbor and Bendy don't feel nearly as cohesive or well-planned and seemed to let streamers and fans push the story direction along for them, whereas at least some of FNaF's core ideas were there from the get-go.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think the origin of 'lore' as we know it probably came about because of Dark Souls. Yeah, Demon's Souls did the whole 'inferring world/story details from item descriptions and context clues' first, but it flew under the radar until Dark Souls came along. And then FNaF came along and codified the concept, leading us to where we are today, knee-deep in lovely Youtube channels that promise to 'explain' every miniscule facet of a work, no matter how obvious it appears at first glance.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the benefit i'll always give the fnaf games is that the dev actually seems to try and make all of his games play in a sorta unique way compared to the others and the weird 'lore' inference crap is just kinda there in the background and not the focus

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Is it weird that I kinda want to make a rip-off game to Dead Air. Mainly, I just want to make a game called D.J. D.Cay: Live on D.E.A.D. Air

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Is it weird that I kinda want to make a rip-off game to Dead Air. Mainly, I just want to make a game called D.J. D.Cay: Live on D.E.A.D. Air

Sounds like a Dreamcast game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Sounds like a Dreamcast game.

You promise me full, gratuitous nudity and the VA for Fallout 3's "Three Dog" and you've got yourself a $6.66 backer.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It'd be interesting to identify the necessary informational elements to trigger and secure that "Deep Lore" impression and response. It's not as simple as just leaving disconnected bits of info out there, at least if you have any sort of plan going.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Make sure at least one plot thread has to do with Satan, childhood abuse, or preferably both

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Satan was abused as a child, by God

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I see...strokes chin thoughtfully

Outlast 2, then.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s revealed in the end you’re just a guy in an asylum and everything was in your head.

That’s every indie horror game right?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You have to go back in time to stop a serial killer who murdered his family. But wait, you are the serial killer. But wait, it was all in your head and you're in a mental asylum. But wait, the asylum was actually a simulation created by scientists to study your moral actions. But wait, it's because you're Hitler's disembodied brain recovered from an alternate reality. But wait, it turns out the scientists need Hitler to live in order to save the world from a future catastrophic event. But wait, you kill yourself at the end thus dooming the world. But wait, it turns out that was only an audiolog from one of many tangent Hitler brains because this experiment has been repeated countless times. But wait, you are also gay.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

It’s revealed in the end you’re just a guy in an asylum and everything was in your head.

That's too easy, it has to get D levels of batshit.

Make it so you're listening in on transmissions through the radio and the transmissions are actually from you, in the future trying to warn yourself not to start the horror that you encounter throughout the game but the messages are indecipherable so you end up doing it anyway. The game ends by you being locked in a dark room with a lone radio as something is banging on the door trying to get in as you start broadcasting to yourself in the past.

New Game + has you going through the game again trying to actually save yourself. Boom instant classic.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

al-azad posted:

OR WAS IT!??!?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Silhouette posted:

OR WAS IT!??!?

it was, but the twist is that the entirety of existence only exists in your head

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

al-azad posted:

That soured me on a game I was otherwise enjoying recently and I hate it so much

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

That soured me on a game I was otherwise enjoying recently and I hate it so much

Which one was that again

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HebrewMagic posted:

Which one was that again

Can't really answer that with spoiling an otherwise decent game from last year so mouse over at risk: The Sexy Brutale, it's no fun saving people if it turns out they all died in a fire the main character caused years ago and the whole game is him working out his guilt in his head.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
So when Agony comes out at the end of the month, can someone just spoil the hell out of it for me? I just want to know what happens and really don't feel like spending money on what looks like a body horror walk thru hell simulator.

That said, Scorn looks good.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Wait, which one is which?

Scorn is the thing that looks like a little bit 2006 Prey mixed with Hellblade while Agony's the shameful 2018 equivilent of DOOM?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

HebrewMagic posted:

At that point you aren't playing a game you're just programming your own loving panic attack

There's another post where he describes his first several attempts at blindly going into 50/20 mode.

Nightmarionne was his primary source of death, including one where he died to it in less than a second.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Crabtree posted:

Wait, which one is which?

Scorn is the thing that looks like a little bit 2006 Prey mixed with Hellblade while Agony's the shameful 2018 equivilent of DOOM?

Agony is the one where hell is full of nudes, that all want a big rear end demon woman to sex on them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Seems like a lot of indie projects these days use depth-of-field tricks to make the visuals look more expensive. I'm not complaining, I think it looks neat, but you see that in both Scorn and Agony.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Scorn is where you defile yourself to the bio-mechanical horrors of H.R. Giger.
Agony is where you violate yourself to demon tits.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

exquisite tea posted:

You have to go back in time to stop a serial killer who murdered his family. But wait, you are the serial killer. But wait, it was all in your head and you're in a mental asylum. But wait, the asylum was actually a simulation created by scientists to study your moral actions. But wait, it's because you're Hitler's disembodied brain recovered from an alternate reality. But wait, it turns out the scientists need Hitler to live in order to save the world from a future catastrophic event. But wait, you kill yourself at the end thus dooming the world. But wait, it turns out that was only an audiolog from one of many tangent Hitler brains because this experiment has been repeated countless times. But wait, you are also gay.
Someday they should just do an entire game of you being every character in an Outer Limits season where no matter what you do it's the wrong end.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Now this looks cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C27hfkAafI

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pathologic sequel looking good.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I dunno, I don't feel remotely miserable enough for it to be a worthwhile sequel.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Diabetic posted:

So when Agony comes out at the end of the month, can someone just spoil the hell out of it for me? I just want to know what happens and really don't feel like spending money on what looks like a body horror walk thru hell simulator.

That said, Scorn looks good.

I'll do it.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
What we've seen of the actual pathologic 2 has a physical manifestation of the disease lock you in a dark building full of the dead add dying and telling you "rot of hunger and boredom or carry me upon your back and I'll let you out; maybe you'll cure yourself"

So basically I'm very hype

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Sakurazuka posted:

Can't really answer that with spoiling an otherwise decent game from last year so mouse over at risk: The Sexy Brutale, it's no fun saving people if it turns out they all died in a fire the main character caused years ago and the whole game is him working out his guilt in his head.

Huh. Friend of mine gifted that one to me a few weeks ago. Didn't give it a second thought. Guess I'll have to add it to my horror stream rotation.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Shadowlyger posted:

Scott you need a new hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Scott you need a new hobby.

This isn't a hobby anymore.