Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

From a newspaper editor on my Facebook feed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Elizabethan Error posted:

good thing we've got a full page of content to counter...balance...it........oh

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/992826269468430337

This is a common misconception actually. You dehydrate from puking long before the salt content gets to you.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

there wolf posted:

This is a common misconception actually. You dehydrate from puking long before the salt content gets to you.

Is it possible to suppress the gag reflex long enough to survive at least a while on salt water?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://twitter.com/Pomp_a_romp/status/993931803902668800

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is it possible to suppress the gag reflex long enough to survive at least a while on salt water?

Your mom pulled it off, but nobody else has been able to yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Honestly, that makes sense to me. Seems like they're just making a joke really.

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Voyager posted:

Maybe they find you unbearably dull and tedious.

Maybe people want to play a woman because Women Exist and want to play as their own gender. There are a myriad reasons someone might want to play as not-a-dude, even if they are "I want to look at a girl's butt while I play instead of a dude's" or something equally as puerile.

I know I'm just continuing a derail at this point and so I'll put up with any moderator backlash I might get. Hegel once said that the response of any honorable person to being accused of stealing is a box in the ear, but since that can't be done I'll settle for: firstly, my female friendships were quite close and not always entirely platonic; secondly, I did not try to make a reduction of reasons people would want to play a female character in a video game to anything in particular, not even bad faith, essentially what I was saying pointed out that any expression of these desires in public makes possible accusations of bad faith by making it possible to conceive of the desire being in bad faith, in particular a form of it that today is called by some "virtue-signalling"; thirdly, I never said that altruism is impossible, just questionable. Perhaps it is always self-interested in a way, that doesn't make it not-altruism. However, Schiller and Schopenhauer had ideas about absolutely disinterested and selfless acts, and provided reasons for believing in them.

Edit: Oh God, I'm so sorry. Please ignore me.

Tiresias2 has a new favorite as of 03:27 on May 9, 2018

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Captain Monkey posted:

Your mom pulled it off, but nobody else has been able to yet.

:golfclap:

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tiresias2 posted:

I know I'm just continuing a derail at this point and so I'll put up with any moderator backlash I might get. Hegel once said that the response of any honorable person to being accused of stealing is a box in the ear, but since that can't be done I'll settle for: firstly, my female friendships were quite close and not always entirely platonic; secondly, I did not try to make a reduction of reasons people would want to play a female character in a video game to anything in particular, not even bad faith, essentially what I was saying pointed out that any expression of these desires in public makes possible accusations of bad faith by making it possible to conceive of the desire being in bad faith, in particular a form of it that today is called by some "virtue-signalling"; thirdly, I never said that altruism is impossible, just questionable. Perhaps it is always self-interested in a way, that doesn't make it not-altruism. However, Schiller and Schopenhauer had ideas about absolutely disinterested and selfless acts, and provided reasons for believing in them.

I've read this like four times and I just can't understand a loving word of it.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Tiresias2 posted:

post your phone's autocomplete itt

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pththya-lyi posted:

And here I thought that I preferred to play as a female character because I have an easier time putting myself in the head of another woman! Turns out I was just virtue signaling. Oh well!

It's called patent trolling. Technically, that lady only has the rights to the word "cocky" in a particular cursive font, but it's easier for a small-time publisher to let Hopkins have her way than to pay lawyers thousands of dollars to prove she's wrong.

The best part is that font she's using has a Creative Commons license that forbids it from being trademarked.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

Honestly, that makes sense to me. Seems like they're just making a joke really.

Bringing any conversation back to the healing properties of essential oils is this persons thing. I don't think they really put much thought into their post beyond that.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Tiresias2 posted:

That's a lot of words my dude.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sarcopenia posted:

That's a lot of words my dude.

What an absolute unit!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Dog fat

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What an absolute unit!

In awe at the size of this lad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ravenkult posted:

Dog fatcuddly and soft

Fixed that for you.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/annalecta/status/994016159795236870

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dogs At Any Size.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/luxuryjeweler/status/993723723512459264

Does this person have a newsletter I can subscribe to

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

I want someone to follow through and DM them so we can see the conversation that follows.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

there wolf posted:

https://apaddleinmypack.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/lindemann-and-bombard/

You *can* survive on seawater, as long as you drink it before dehydration sets in, and don't drink a ton. You aren't going to make it much longer than drinking no water at all but it might be enough time to get you rescued.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://apaddleinmypack.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/lindemann-and-bombard/

You *can* survive on seawater, as long as you drink it before dehydration sets in, and don't drink a ton. You aren't going to make it much longer than drinking no water at all but it might be enough time to get you rescued.

sounds like a hassle tbqh

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

sounds like a hassle tbqh

Which season of Survivor did you get voted off of?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Just pick the salt out of the water and put it in another cup, it's not that hard.

God I hate picky drinkers.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

There needs to be an alternative to shadow banning where people can still post but all everyone else sees is that one emote we have of the guy talking word salad that I can't seem to find right now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/luxuryjeweler/status/993723723512459264

Does this person have a newsletter I can subscribe to

She calls 7:45 early? Lightweight, my body clock wakes me up at 4:30.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

dovetaile posted:

The best part is that font she's using has a Creative Commons license that forbids it from being trademarked.

It gets even better: she made an hour-and-a-half long rant video about how the romance/indie publishing community is persecuting her - and they are going after her, make no mistake - which contains insights like "everyone insulting me is a broken person who's jealous of my success" and "calling me 'stupid' is basically bullying autistic children*" and "I'm descended from slaves,** so you can't attack me" and only touches on the trademark issue a couple times:
E: Hopkins got the video taken down :negative:

*See, 'cause some people call autistic children 'stupid,' so it's well-understood that 'stupid' is a slur used almost exclusively against people with autism! Yeah, now Hopkins has autism moms going after her too.
**She is white, a bunch of the authors she targeted are black

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 17:47 on May 9, 2018

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

This group👥 is a loving🖕 joke😂.

Wow⚠️⚠️⚠️, I🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️ expected💁‍♀️ this to just get me kicked🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️ from the group👥👥, but if I🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️ am being given the opportunity to leave commentary🗣🗣🗣, then I🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️ want to explain🗣🗣 that this is about the over moderation, ideological💡 myopia👨‍🏫👨‍🏫, and inability🚫🚫 of the admins👫👬👭 to be open to discussion🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️. Specifically 📣📣📣in this instance this is associated with the dream catcher⚙⚙⚙ tattoo post being labeled as cultural💂‍♂️💂‍♀️👳‍♂️👳‍♀️ appropriation😠😠😠, and then the post getting locked🔒 once it was pointed👆👆 out that the very choice to use that content warning🚷🚷 was a comment on the canvas📖 rather than the tattoo, and a presumptive🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️ one since all that can be seen of the canvas📖📖 is one thigh🏃‍♀️ (though even with a face👤👤👤, presumption is inevitable💁‍♀️ in such an assessment🕵️‍♀️🕵️‍♂️). I'd also like to point👆👆👆 out that every time the admins👭👬👫 lock🔒🔒 a post💻💻💻, they first wrote📃📃 a comment declaring⚠️⚠️⚠️ their stipulative interpretation 💁‍♀️of the situation as though their authority👮‍♂️👮‍♀️👨‍✈️👩‍✈️ makes them correct✔✔✔✔✔💯💯💯.

The admins👫👬👭 here are ridiculous❓❔❓❔❓❔. The group👥 is an echo🗣🗣🗣 chamber. There are better💯💯💯 groups👥👥, and I am happy😁😁 to have found them🕵️‍♀️🕵️‍♂️, because this one exemplifies🆙️🆙️🆙️ everything wrong ➖🙅‍♀️🙅‍♂️with the modern "progressive" ideology👨‍🏫👩‍🏫.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

From a newspaper editor on my Facebook feed:

What is it?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

What is it?

a letter posted to freeads@newspaperclassified.com

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

there wolf posted:

:goonsay:

Like the quote doesn't even talk about how the salt déshydratés you :confused:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mak0rz posted:

There needs to be an alternative to shadow banning where people can still post but all everyone else sees is that one emote we have of the guy talking word salad that I can't seem to find right now.

:words:?

https://twitter.com/rey_z/status/994158272176377856

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

:umberto: shadowbanning would be hilarious

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yeah that's the one!

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah that's the one!

It's not word salad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BioEnchanted posted:

She calls 7:45 early? Lightweight, my body clock wakes me up at 4:30.

Wow, you must be a really powerful mystic.