Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Selachian posted:

the Steve Gerber-written Foolkiller (not MAX),

This is shockingly dark for a Marvel title from 1990. I remember picking it up as a 13 year old kid and finding it a bit off-putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Random Stranger posted:

Okay, this is kind of an interesting topic. So Hank McCoy debuted as a gruff, street tough kid as a member of the X-Men. If you listen to Stan Lee about this (and you often shouldn't), he realized that they had plenty of characters like that already so he changed Hank to be the smart, loquacious member of the team. And that's all he was until the book was canceled. Well, with these spare x-characters floating around people decided to do something with them and Beast got his own series of adventure stories where he drank a potion to become furry and hide his identity as he fought crime. Eventually the potion sticks and he joins Englehart's Avengers and that's where his persona changes again. Englehart decided that the Beast was the happy-go-lucky member of the team (and he heavily implied Hank was into "counterculture" if you know what I mean) and the Beast became one of the most popular members of the team. He sticks to the Avengers for several years and for a couple of decades that persona sticks. And then comes the X-Men X-Plosion where the writers forget the jovial aspects of his character. This particularly sticks because it's the version used in the cartoon. And so now we've got serious, studious Hank.

I feel like he was plenty jovial in the cartoon-- throughout the 90s the blue-fur/blue-trunks Beast is generally, I think, characterized by upbeat wit (well, as much wit as Scott Lobdell could muster). Which was if anything a step back from the emotional and psychological ringer that he went through in X-Factor.

I think the contemporary dour, despairing Beast is a byproduct of two things. First of all, so many of his subplots in the 90s revolved around solving the Legacy Virus, a beat that kept spinning its wheels for the better part of a decade and resolved itself suddenly and anticlimactically with Colossus' suicide-- so despite the plot being nominally wrapped up, poor Hank is left in the position of being linked with a narrative of frustration and failure.

Then Morrisson's New X-Men pushed him through some more dynamic emotional hoops than years of writers content to have him hang around in the background, acknowledged his insecurity about his new feline form, which is fine, but then saddled him with the pretty dire "Here Comes Tomorrow," which made ominous villain-hood the endgame of his dedication and zeal. Since the entire franchise is infatuated with callbacks and recursive foreshadowing that means that every writer to touch him since has tried to show him scrabbling along a slipper slope in his desire to fix mutant problems. But none of them are willing or able to commit to morally compromising him, so he's perpetually simmering at the lowest stages of moral decline, in effect, just surliness. The X-Men line needs a lot of things but it urgently needs a writer who actually has a story in mind for Hank McCoy because he's been going through the motions more or less since 1991.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have a story. It involves a shotgun and someone getting a pretty nice new carpet.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful answers!

I've read a couple of those minis but added a bunch of these to the list. Spider-Man/Human Torch is a favorite of mine. It gave us this wonderful moment.

https://twitter.com/mrmattjay/status/907687503854952448?s=21

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unmature posted:

And while we're at it, let me know your favorite Marvel mini-series. Especially if they're on Unlimited.

Nextwave which Ewing made canon.

https://youtu.be/Xuosmf1_mKs

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Archyduke posted:

I feel like he was plenty jovial in the cartoon-- throughout the 90s the blue-fur/blue-trunks Beast is generally, I think, characterized by upbeat wit (well, as much wit as Scott Lobdell could muster). Which was if anything a step back from the emotional and psychological ringer that he went through in X-Factor.

I think the contemporary dour, despairing Beast is a byproduct of two things. First of all, so many of his subplots in the 90s revolved around solving the Legacy Virus, a beat that kept spinning its wheels for the better part of a decade and resolved itself suddenly and anticlimactically with Colossus' suicide-- so despite the plot being nominally wrapped up, poor Hank is left in the position of being linked with a narrative of frustration and failure.

Then Morrisson's New X-Men pushed him through some more dynamic emotional hoops than years of writers content to have him hang around in the background, acknowledged his insecurity about his new feline form, which is fine, but then saddled him with the pretty dire "Here Comes Tomorrow," which made ominous villain-hood the endgame of his dedication and zeal. Since the entire franchise is infatuated with callbacks and recursive foreshadowing that means that every writer to touch him since has tried to show him scrabbling along a slipper slope in his desire to fix mutant problems. But none of them are willing or able to commit to morally compromising him, so he's perpetually simmering at the lowest stages of moral decline, in effect, just surliness. The X-Men line needs a lot of things but it urgently needs a writer who actually has a story in mind for Hank McCoy because he's been going through the motions more or less since 1991.

Hickman's Avengers also made him complicit in a genocide, so, you know, that might bring you down.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Hickman's Avengers also made him complicit in a genocide, so, you know, that might bring you down.

I believe he also dabbles in mass murder in Warren Ellis' dire stint on Secret Avengers so you know, baby steps.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Unmature posted:

Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful answers!

I've read a couple of those minis but added a bunch of these to the list. Spider-Man/Human Torch is a favorite of mine. It gave us this wonderful moment.

https://twitter.com/mrmattjay/status/907687503854952448?s=21

"Uncles Ben" :spergin:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also let's recall that right after Age of Apocalypse Hank was locked in a cell while the evil alternate world Hank ran around with the X-Men, and this continued at least until Onslaught. So for a while all the Beast you got was one guy saying "I sure wish I could escape!" and another guy saying "I sure hope I don't get caught!"

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

prefect posted:

"Uncles Ben" :spergin:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theonion.com/william-safire-orders-two-whoppers-junior-1819565735/amp

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What's the anecdote someone had about Jeph Loeb wanting to do a Spider-man story but only if he could use all the villains?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What's the anecdote someone had about Jeph Loeb wanting to do a Spider-man story but only if he could use all the villains?

Spider-Man Hush

e: if :thejoke: then I'm sorry.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 7, 2018

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Creators going apeshit with their favorite characters is always gonna come down to 3 names for me. Geoff Johns. Barry Allen. Hal Jordan.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kyle Rayner is the authoriest insert possible. It's one evil for another.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It was his pitch for Batman Long Halloween III and IV essentially, which were going to be twelve issue mini-series where

A: Batman has to solve a murder mystery where the suspects are Venom, Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Sandman, Vulture, Kingpin, Kraven, etc. etc. etc.
B) Batman has to solve a murder mystery where the suspects are Joker, Penguin, Two-Face, Bane, Scarecrow, Ra's al Ghul, Catwoman, etc. etc. etc.

He talked about it as a sad lost opportunity in one of his WordBalloon interviews, possibly in the same one where he made fun of Bendis for wasting his talents on C-list characters like Daredevil and Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, and how the only way he'd do a book like that is if he could do a Power Man & Iron Fist series where they're framed for murder and have to fight Wolverine, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Punisher, Captain America, Doctor Doom, Magneto, etc. while trying to prove their innocence, that would be a book worthy of his talents.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 9, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

It was his pitch for Batman Long Halloween III and IV essentially, which were going to be twelve issue mini-series where

A: Batman has to solve a murder mystery where the suspects are Venom, Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Sandman, Vulture, Kingpin, Kraven, etc. etc. etc.
B) Batman has to solve a murder mystery where the suspects are Joker, Penguin, Two-Face, Bane, Scarecrow, Ra's al Ghul, Catwoman, etc. etc. etc.

He talked about it as a sad lost opportunity in one of his WordBalloon interviews, possibly in the same one where he made fun of Bendis for wasting his talents on C-list characters like Daredevil and Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, and how the only way he'd do a book like that is if he could do a Power Man & Iron Fist series where they're framed for murder and have to fight Wolverine, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Punisher, Captain America, Doctor Doom, Magneto, etc. while trying to prove their innocence, that would be a book worthy of his talents.

I genuinely can’t tell if you’re serious or not. loving Loeb

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Retro Futurist posted:

I genuinely can’t tell if you’re serious or not. loving Loeb

It's as if Jeph Loeb is Poe's Law personified.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Could anyone explain to me Vision's all-white phase? He was stuck in that form for that Avengers beat-em-up arcade game that Japan made. Was it a good era for him?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Schneider Heim posted:

Could anyone explain to me Vision's all-white phase? He was stuck in that form for that Avengers beat-em-up arcade game that Japan made. Was it a good era for him?

John Byrne is stupid, and no.

Basically the government tore Vision up into little itty bitty pieces and put him back together, which somehow turned him white. It also made him completely unemotional, because the entire point of that was for Byrne to show that he definitely was just a robot and didn't have feelings, which was obviously the Creators' Intent even though the very first story Vision was in featured him turning on Ultron because he has feelings.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It was also a way of erasing the Wanda/Vision relationship, which Byrne very much disliked. That story lead directly into the story where Wanda and Vision's children are erased from existence.

The issue with the debut of white Vision was one of my very first comics as a little kid, and of course I loved it because I assumed all would be made right, Vision would get his feelings back, and Wanda's vanished babies would be found, because really, what kind of maniac would break up a married couple and kill their babies in a comic for kids?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Man that's hosed up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

John Byrne is stupid, and no.

Basically the government tore Vision up into little itty bitty pieces and put him back together, which somehow turned him white. It also made him completely unemotional, because the entire point of that was for Byrne to show that he definitely was just a robot and didn't have feelings, which was obviously the Creators' Intent even though the very first story Vision was in featured him turning on Ultron because he has feelings.
Also you had the Avengers standing around Vision's body examining him medically and saying "he is literally identical to a human being except he's made of synthetic material instead of biological."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I had forgotten that Byrne had Mockingbird helping with the abduction of the Vision. :sigh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like how Busiek undid a lot Byrne's nonsense in Avengers Forever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
How many times has Vision died and the Avengers didn't really care? No wonder they're afraid of what he'd do if he snaps.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Halloween Jack posted:

How many times has Vision died and the Avengers didn't really care? No wonder they're afraid of what he'd do if he snaps.
That was basically Byrne's justification, the Roger Stern Avengers run had (I think the first time they did this bit) a story where the Vision's body was all messed up in a fight and the team basically plugged his brain into their computer and went "okay buddy could you be our answering service and keep an eye on the monitors, we'll fix you uhhhhhhhh well, later!" and he went a little crazy and joined the 1985 version of the Internet and decided if he just took over all of the computer and missile defense systems he could ensure world peace.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Android Blues posted:

The issue with the debut of white Vision was one of my very first comics as a little kid, and of course I loved it because I assumed all would be made right, Vision would get his feelings back, and Wanda's vanished babies would be found, because really, what kind of maniac would break up a married couple and kill their babies in a comic for kids?
The kind of guy who goes on a tirade about people calling it a speech bubble instead of a speech balloon.

My very first comic was an extremely violent What If where Earth dies, and it made me the man I am today.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Android Blues posted:

It was also a way of erasing the Wanda/Vision relationship, which Byrne very much disliked. That story lead directly into the story where Wanda and Vision's children are erased from existence.

A maniac that has kids for hands!!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Android Blues posted:

He was actually a yellowish off-white color. One of my friends referred to him as "stickofbutter Vision".

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

prefect posted:

I had forgotten that Byrne had Mockingbird helping with the abduction of the Vision. :sigh:

First time I've ever seen a cape wedgie.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Halloween Jack posted:

The kind of guy who goes on a tirade about people calling it a speech bubble instead of a speech balloon.

That's not the "best" part, which was that he compared calling it a "speech bubble" to using a slur to refer to black people

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey, what's that one eastern european BD-style comic about Thor, Loki and Balder going on wacky Asterix adventures?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I think the colorless Vision was a good visual, but then again, so is the red and green Vision. Colorless Vision was a mess, though, writing-wise, and nobody seemed to have a consistent read on how to delineate between emotionless and just callous and awful. In Operation: Galactic Storm in particular he's put in the position of clamoring for genocide as the "logical" solution in a way that doesn't make much sense and mostly just functions as a means to getting him into arguments with Wonder Man.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Visually I think colourless Vision maybe looks better, I've always thought his green/red/yellow design was kind of jumbled. As a character he's a mess though, yeah.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When did he get that recoloured design where he had a green cape, green leggings and a yellow torso?

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, what's that one eastern european BD-style comic about Thor, Loki and Balder going on wacky Asterix adventures?

You might be thinking about Valhalla by Peter Madsen. Danish, not eastern european.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valhalla_(comics)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

IYKK posted:

You might be thinking about Valhalla by Peter Madsen. Danish, not eastern european.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valhalla_(comics)

Yeah that's the one. I'm so bad at geography you'd think I'm from where Rhyno lives (Southern Alaska?).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Edge & Christian posted:

That was basically Byrne's justification, the Roger Stern Avengers run had (I think the first time they did this bit) a story where the Vision's body was all messed up in a fight and the team basically plugged his brain into their computer and went "okay buddy could you be our answering service and keep an eye on the monitors, we'll fix you uhhhhhhhh well, later!" and he went a little crazy and joined the 1985 version of the Internet and decided if he just took over all of the computer and missile defense systems he could ensure world peace.

The first thing he did was hook up with Isaac, the computer of the Eternals of Titan, which proved to unbalance the poo poo out of him. So really, it's all Mentor's fault.

As is Thanos.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
How much of Captain America #701 did Adam Hughes draw? At first I was under the impression he did it all, but it sounds like he was one of three artists. Was it a one-and-done story, or will there be more chapters and more Hughes artwork? It's so rare when he draws any interiors now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

How much of Captain America #701 did Adam Hughes draw? At first I was under the impression he did it all, but it sounds like he was one of three artists. Was it a one-and-done story, or will there be more chapters and more Hughes artwork? It's so rare when he draws any interiors now.

Just four pages. Romero is the main artist and the other two do flashbacks.
Next issue has two other guest artists alongside Romeo, so I guess that's it for Hughes.