Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

If this thing is currently operating, then pulling the POWER lever should turn it off, while the POWER LESS lever would logically either slow it down or speed it up depending on which setting it's currently on.

POWER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Give them the power like we're the electric company.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Power less, because logic is for losers.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Let me guess, "Power Less" gives a bullshit ending where "you're suddenly powerless! THE END". Hence I will choose power.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

AceOfFlames posted:

Let me guess, "Power Less" gives a bullshit ending where "you're suddenly powerless! THE END". Hence I will choose power.
I'm under the impression that "Power" will make everyone but us stronger, so I'm going with Power Less.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
we got the touch, but not the power

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygBP7MtT3Ac

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

AceOfFlames posted:

I can neither confirm nor deny this.

quote:

You stare at the lever marked POWER. What will happen if you pull it? you wonder.

“Do it,” Liz whispers. “Pull the lever.”

You look over at the skin scraping machine, then back at the lever. The door of the steel tumbler is closed. Jake’s muffled cries can be heard from inside.

The man in white overalls reaches for the dial to start the machine. His hand is almost on it. You pull the POWER lever.

KABOOM! Sparks fly from the control box and from the dials on the skin scraping machine. All the circuits are shorting out. The man in overalls pulls his hand back and covers his face just before the second KABOOM blasts open the door.

The whole laboratory is shaking. You and Liz hold onto each other and watch as Jake’s stretcher rolls out of the tumbler and down the ramp. Jake is still strapped in. His eyes and mouth are still taped shut. He can’t see what you see.

The chair is rolling wildly out of control. “Oh, no!” cries Liz. “He’s heading right for the...”

“Wax Dipping Laboratory!” you cry out together!

quote:

“Tip the stretcher over!” you call out to Jake. “Lean!”

But the noise of the sparks and short circuits makes it impossible for Jake to hear you. He’s a prisoner of the stretcher and it’s taking him to the next step – the final step.

The Skin Scraping Center is alive with workers scrambling to steady themselves and save the equipment. “Come on, Liz,” you say breathlessly. “After Jake!”

“Oh,” Liz cries hopelessly. “The end is near. I just know this is going to be it for us. For all of us.”

quote:

Uh-oh. It looks like your end might be here. Yours. And Liz’s. And Jake’s. You’re in the Wax Dipping Laboratory, and it’s very clear now what is going on at this Wicked Wax Museum.

You look around for Jake and spy an empty stretcher. But no Jake. Huge vats of hot bubbling wax are lined up across the center of the lab. Dozens of ropes hang from scaffolding. Giant machines rumble, tumble, swish, and swirl. Hundreds of wax-dipped figures dangle from drying racks. A voice on the other side of the laboratory shouts, “Check that one for readiness!”

“Yes, Dr. Wicked,” replies a worker in white.

Now you see him. It’s Dr. Izzy Wicked himself standing on a platform overlooking the lab. A mane of wild white hair frames his hollow-cheeked face. “Don’t dip him until you’re sure the steaming and skinning has been successful!” he orders.

Three other workers are gathered around a stainless steel table. When they step back you see what – or who – they’re examining. It’s Jake!

quote:

“It’s Jake!” Liz exclaims aloud.

Both the worker and Dr. Wicked swing around to see who spoke. They see you and Liz.

“After them!” Dr. Wicked orders. “After them!”

“Run!” you shout. “Run for your life!”

With all the workers in the laboratory coming after you, there’s only one way out of this: up.

Your thoughts are racing as fast as your feet. You’ve got it! You could climb the scaffolding on those ropes. Then you could swing down and tackle Dr. Wicked.

It’s risky. No, it’s more than risky. It’s life-threatening. But you have no choice other than which ropes to climb. You examine them closely. Some look too thin to support your weight. Others are thicker – but starting to fray. Which one will you choose?

If you go for a thin rope, turn to PAGE 71.

If you go for a thick, fraying rope, turn to PAGE 80.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/2

Bad Endings
Accidentally phoned up the guy who kidnapped us.
Driven off the side of a cliff.
Trapped in a steaming tube and shrunken into a speck.
Absorbed by a slime monster under a bed.
Derailed the plot by not making suicidally bad choices.
Scooped into the back of a trash truck and presumably compacted.
Forced to run in a giant hamster wheel until we lost the will to live.
Turned into a candle by a tornado because we knew how to find our lifeline.

Achievements
None yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Let's get a thin rope.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Thin sounds safer in this instance.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I'm a-frayed you all are making the wrong choice

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Grab a thin rope.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
If we get a goal ending here, can we go back and see the funny deaths?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Go for a thin rope!” you call out to Liz. You both grab hold of the thinner ropes. Before you can start climbing, the ropes automatically lift you up. They swing you through the rows and rows of wax-dipped figures.

Higher and higher you go until you stop directly over the vats of bubbling wax.

“Cut them loose!” Dr. Wicked cries from his platform.

A worker holds an oversized pair of hedge cutters. On the order from Dr. Wicked, he cuts the thin ropes. You and Liz drop to the vats below.

The next sounds you hear are voices of children on a field trip to the Wicked Wax Museum. “Wow! Check this scene out!” one kid says. “It’s kids like us getting dipped in hot wax!”

So that’s it, you think to yourself. This is the scene you and Liz were meant to be in all along. You’re just two kids being dipped in vats of hot wax in a wax museum. At least your audience is enjoying the show. As for you, your performance has come to...

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Dunked into hot wax after being cut free from a rope.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Stay still to save oxygen.
  • Stay still in the closet.
  • Leave Axel in the Deboner.
  • Wake the sleeping Sybils.
  • Run through the Sybils.
  • Panic when the Executioner grabs us.
  • Look back over our shoulder.
  • Turn back from the building.
  • Pull the lever marked POWER LESS.
  • Climb one of the thick, fraying ropes.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Wow, our classmates are dicks. I guess we'll just have to grab the frayed ropes and hope nothing horrible happens.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Watch these both be dead ends.

But yeah, grab the frayed ropes.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Look away, look away from the building

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Epicmissingno posted:

Wow, our classmates are dicks. I guess we'll just have to grab the frayed ropes and hope nothing horrible happens.

:yeah:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Let's see what happens when we're POWER LESS

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

We are POWER LESS to stop the bad endings.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

But when you feel so POWER LESS what are you gonna do?

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Currently tied between grabbing a frayed rope and pulling the POWER LESS lever. On a completely unrelated note, I'd like to remind everyone that we still haven't seen any of the best bad endings.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
POWER LESS

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'm positive grabbing a frayed rope leads to a goal ending, so POWER LESS

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You stare at the levers. Power less really must mean less power, you think. If the machine has less power, maybe it won’t start up. “Well,” you say to Liz, “here goes nothing.”

Sorry. Bad choice on your part. Power Less simply means you are powerless! Powerless to do anything that will save Jake. Or you and Liz.

When you pull the lever, the men in white overalls turn to look at you. They don’t run after you. They know you’re not going anywhere. You’re powerless to move. Jake is on his way into the Skin Scraper now. You glance at Liz and gulp. Your turn in the awful machine is coming soon.

Time to notify your next of skin. Because the end is near. In fact, it’s here.

THE END

Congrats to AceOfFlames for guessing this would happen, by the way.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Dunked into hot wax after being cut free from a rope.
:siren:Paralyzed by an ambiguously-labeled lever and loaded into a skin-scraping machine.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

• Look back over our shoulder.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why do they even have that lever?

Frayed rope.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I'm going to guess looking over our shoulder will lead to something good bad.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Stand Still Save Oxygen

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Look back over the shoulder.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Frayed rope.

Also, that "powerless" nonsense sounds annoyingly reminiscent of the werewolf book's "you pressed the stop button and stopped the story" crap.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Look back

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Rebonack7 posted:

Congrats to AceOfFlames for guessing this would happen, by the way.

Someone pick up the phone because I loving CALLED IT.

Adamant posted:

Also, that "powerless" nonsense sounds annoyingly reminiscent of the werewolf book's "you pressed the stop button and stopped the story" crap.

That's exactly what thought of when I saw the words "power less": "Oh, it's another one of THOSE, isn't it?"

Look over our shoulder.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You glance back over your shoulder to see if the Strangler is following you. “Hey!” you exclaim with relief. You stop running and stare back in amazement. “He isn’t moving!”

From where you’re standing it’s obvious that the Strangler isn’t as scary as you thought he was.

“Is he made out of wax?” Liz asks breathlessly.

“Yeah! That’s what I think,” you declare. “Boy, are we stupid. Let’s go back and take a closer look.”

You run back down the block to where the figure still stands with his hands stretched out, ready to strangle his next victim.

Ah-ha! Just as you thought. “He’s wax, all right,” you laugh. “This whole setup is just another scene.”

Liz stops before she gets too close. “Are you sure he’s wax?” she asks nervously. “Are you absolutely sure?”

quote:

“Sure I’m sure he’s wax,” you laugh. “Look. I’ll prove it. I’ll put my neck right in his hands, see?” You back up to the wax figure and slide your neck between his outstretched hands. For once, one of these wax figures really *is* just wax. To convince Liz, you stand this way for a few seconds. “Look,” you joke. “He’s strangling me! Ha-ha! Help!”

“Very funny,” Liz says.

“Okay, okay,” you say, giving up the joke. “He’s not really strangling me. Who would want to strangle a nice kid like me?”

You start to step forward out of the Strangler’s hands. Warm fingers tighten around your neck. You feel your air being cut off. You can’t scream or talk or breathe. Mist surrounds you again. You feel as if you’re floating. You can’t see a thing. Everything is dark.

Everything is nothing now.

Who would want to strangle a nice kid like you?

The Strangler would, that’s who.

THE END

This is probably one of my favorite endings just for the sheer cutscene stupidity in play here. "Wouldn't it be hilarious if I put my neck between the hands of someone called the Strangler and started talking loudly about how unlikely I am to be strangled in the near future. I mean, it's not like I've literally just watched wax statues come to life and try to kill me."

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Paralyzed by an ambiguously-labeled lever and loaded into a skin-scraping machine.
:siren:Strangled to death by the Strangler.:siren:

Achievements
None yet.

Our options posted:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The Executioner caught us! PANIC!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fight the power Executioner.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Frayed ropes. Still.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Panic!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You panic.

“AAHHHH!” you scream. “THE WAX FIGURE IS ALIVE!”

You have good reason to panic, too. You peeled a little wax off his hand. Now all the wax is flaking off his body – like skin peeling after a bad sunburn. You try to pull yourself away from his waxy grip, but he’s too strong.

“Liz! HELP!” you cry, turning your head to look for her. But Liz has troubles of her own.

Her red curly hair is completely tangled in an air vent on the wall. The more she struggles, the tighter the tangles become. She gazes at you, wide-eyed.

Looks as if you’re on your own against the Executioner. He’s holding you with one hand. With the other, he raises his gleaming steel ax...

If you're right-handed, go to PAGE 70.

If you're left-handed, go to PAGE 63.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Paralyzed by an ambiguously-labeled lever and loaded into a skin-scraping machine.
Strangled to death by the Strangler.

Achievements
None yet.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Right handed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is there ever a good way to figure out what the right option is for these choices?