Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own
This poll is closed.
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 47 24.48%
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 27 14.06%
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 70 36.46%
This thread loving sucks rear end and I don't think I can revitalize it on my own 48 25.00%
Total: 192 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Eh, better here than somewhere else. I don't think I've had heard the term until... like, this year.

what a blessed existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
six days since the last otome danshi update... time to learn japanese

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wish alot of his old videos didn't get deleted because the one of him spying on a 'weed smoker' in the park and preparing to ambush him by hiding on the play structure and going down the slide still cracks me up.

its up to you to carry on the fight

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what happens if you do the reverse reader?

fake edit:
wow what a poo poo

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
where does chad fit into this

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

where does chad fit into this

chad doesn't concern himself with labels like "gamer" or "reader"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I tried finding the akagi-kenshiro amorality memes but instead I got pics of boats hugging

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 9, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Stexils posted:

*walks with incredibly regular rhythm* oh no i'm a big fan of dune, definitely have read the entire thing and remember it VERY well haha
i've only seen the movie and Kyle MacLachlan is hot in it so i have zero reason to read it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only good Dune is Dune II for IBM PC and compatibles.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lol

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DisDisDis posted:

what a blessed existence
Like, I've known of the "Nice Guy Syndrome" since like forever, and this incel thing sounds/reads off a lot like it, but I always encountered it in the wild. Like it was one or two guys who you knew acted like that but you helped them/tried to keep them on the straight and narrow, but now they're organized and they're on their "echo-chambers" of sorts, and that's where poo poo gets really scary.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAU5iG_5dCk

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Sakurazuka posted:

The only good Dune is Dune II for IBM PC and compatibles.

Hell yeah.

Wait, no, I meant to say I liked the first four books as well.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Motto posted:

I tried finding the akagi-kenshiro amorality memes but instead I got pics of boats hugging

im glad for you

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

gmq posted:

chad doesn't concern himself with labels like "gamer" or "reader"

im gonna become one of those obnoxious why do we need all these labels people but for media consumers

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Expect My Mom posted:

i've only seen the movie and Kyle MacLachlan is hot in it so i have zero reason to read it

I know you're just making a goof, but Dune is so cool & I hope you read it some day.

The questions that Dune engages with - man's relationship to & exploitation of his environment, the inherent danger of the idea of a hero, the way that people who consider themselves hyper-rational are blind to their own irrationalities - they're all more relevant now than ever. Dune does so many things right that other sci fi does wrong. EG: In most other science fiction, house Atreidies would be The Good Guys. But though they're better than the Harkonnens, they aren't good; they're Feudal lords who exploit and oppress their populace, just like the Harkonnens do; they simply rule with a lighter hand.

These sections were hugely influential on me as a young reader.

Dune, Chapter 7 posted:

"Nothing wins more loyalty for a leader than an air of bravura," the Duke said. "I, therefore, cultivate an air of bravura."

"You lead well," Paul protested. "You govern well. Men follow you willingly and love you."

"My propaganda corps is one of the finest," the Duke said. Again, he turned to stare out at the basin. "There's greater possibility for us here on Arrakis than the Imperium could ever suspect. Yet sometimes I think it'd have been better if we'd run for it, gone renegade. Sometimes I wish we could sink back into anonymity among the people, become less exposed to. . . . "

"Father!"

"Yes, I am tired," the Duke said. "Did you know we're using spice residue as raw material and already have our own factory to manufacture filmbase?"

"Sir?"

"We mustn't run short of filmbase," the Duke said. "Else, how could we flood village and city with our information? The people must learn how well I govern them. How would they know if we didn't tell them?"

"You should get some rest," Paul said.

Again, the Duke faced his son. "Arrakis has another advantage I almost forgot to mention. Spice is in everything here. You breathe it and eat it in almost everything. And I find that this imparts a certain natural immunity to some of the most common poisons of the Assassins' Handbook. And the need to watch every drop of water puts all food production - yeast culture, hydroponics, chemavit, everything - under the strictest surveillance. We cannot kill off large segments of our population with poison - and we cannot be attacked this way, either. Arrakis makes us moral and ethical."

Dune posted:

Then, as his planet killed him, it occurred to Kynes that his father and all the other scientists were wrong, that the most persistent principles of the universe were accident and error.

Man I love Dune.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the only good dune is the cultural fallout of the failed jodorowsky dune movie

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

the only good dune is the cultural fallout of the failed jodorowsky dune movie

Meh

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Jodorowsky's Dune is the Nikola Tesla of cinema

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Well, come to think of it I've never seen Alien so who knows

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Jodorowsky's Dune is the Nikola Tesla of cinema

that's david bowie, in the movie 'the prestige'

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Plutonis posted:

that's david bowie, in the movie 'the prestige'

Oh yeah.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

it's good

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
also the original cover is way better than the newer ones

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I like both of these

and hate this with my entire being

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the ultimate lifehack

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/spunkytora/status/993958687675961344?s=19

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Eela6 posted:

I know you're just making a goof, but Dune is so cool & I hope you read it some day.

The questions that Dune engages with - man's relationship to & exploitation of his environment, the inherent danger of the idea of a hero, the way that people who consider themselves hyper-rational are blind to their own irrationalities - they're all more relevant now than ever. Dune does so many things right that other sci fi does wrong. EG: In most other science fiction, house Atreidies would be The Good Guys. But though they're better than the Harkonnens, they aren't good; they're Feudal lords who exploit and oppress their populace, just like the Harkonnens do; they simply rule with a lighter hand.

These sections were hugely influential on me as a young reader.

Man I love Dune.
This is a good case! I'll try and give it a look sometime, ty

but man, I was not joking about Kyle in that movie with the glowing eyes and his chest out, that's good stuff, nailed it lynch

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lol

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of Drinking Girls, it's finally getting officially released.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You know, in God's chosen language.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DisDisDis posted:

the ultimate lifehack

Ah, Evangelion

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

and here i thought we could finally kill the scans

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah. Like I'm going to read some book with words and no picture. Hard pass.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Speaking of Drinking Girls, it's finally getting officially released.

WHAAAAA

Woo!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

This is a good case! I'll try and give it a look sometime, ty

but man, I was not joking about Kyle in that movie with the glowing eyes and his chest out, that's good stuff, nailed it lynch

post pics for my titties out folder

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Eela6 posted:

Man I love Dune.

Dune is Fuckin' Great. I still have to read the sequels. Should start that soon.

It was also a giant influence on what was one of the best turn-based strategy games, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

The 1979 board game was way ahead of its time too

• Locked thread