Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A half-senate election has to be held within the next year or so.

Eh, I guess. Who cares about that though it isn't the Billpocalypse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

Eh, I guess. Who cares about that though it isn't the Billpocalypse

It's been almost 50 years since the last reps-only election, nobody seems that keen to do it again.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's been almost 50 years since the last reps-only election, nobody seems that keen to do it again.

I can't recall having a more cowardly government though

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Van badham is a psychotic idiot

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I don't understand this loving word salad, what. I feel like now has been a bad time to try and understand politics again.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/994045800131969025

JBP posted:

I can't recall having a more cowardly government though

Sure, and having a half-senate election and then a reps-only one a few months later would be brave as hell.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 9, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spudd posted:

I don't understand this loving word salad, what. I feel like now has been a bad time to try and understand politics again.

Labor were smart and brave to pass evil Dutton KGB bill.

Greens bad for opposing it. Literal children that won't form government.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/smurray38/status/994016577350598657

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/994046988038553600?s=19

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

All of the dual citizen Reps are recontesting.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Meanwhile the LNP duals won't do poo poo until the real election and quietly make the changes they need about 3 seconds after the election writs are issued.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Spudd posted:

I don't understand this loving word salad, what. I feel like now has been a vanbad time to try and understand vanbad again.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
reborka dork goodpork

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

this broken hill posted:

reborka dork goodpork

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/may/09/sydney-archdiocese-runs-ads-seeking-donations-for-cardinal-george-pells-legal-fees posted:

The Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney has been running ads in its news publication, the Catholic Weekly, seeking donations to fund Cardinal George Pell’s legal costs, a move which a lawyer representing victims of child sexual abuse, Dr Judy Courtin, describes as “utter hypocrisy”.

While the Catholic Weekly has been running the ads with the bank account details for the fund since last year, it ran an article promoting the fund after Pell was ordered to stand trial earlier this month on historical sexual offence allegations. He has plead not guilty to all charges. Pell’s legal team, which includes the high-profile defence barrister Robert Richter, is believed to be costing him tens of thousands of dollars every day court sits.

Details of the fund have also been appearing in the newsletters of Catholic parishes around Australia, including St Patrick’s parish in Ballarat. The child sexual abuse royal commission turned its attention to Ballarat several times during its five-year inquiry, hearing evidence from survivors of abuse within the diocese, as well as bishops and priests who were witness to, or responsible for, abusing.

While the fund to support Pell is managed by the Ferdinand Zito and Associates law practice in Melbourne, it is unclear who or what organisation was responsible for establishing the fund or who is paying to have it advertised around the world.

“All clients of any legal practitioner are afforded the protection of legal professional privilege,” Zito told Guardian Australia. Zito said because of this, he was unable to answer questions about the fund.

Courtin, who represented a number of abuse victims who gave evidence to the royal commission, said Pell was entitled to a defence team and to seek funding for it. But she questioned the involvement of the archdiocese in promoting that fund.

“Pell, and other defendants with adequate financial backing, can not only afford the star-studded cast that is Pell’s legal team, but it is every defendant’s legal right to do so. But what of the victims of crime and their role in the criminal trial process? Are their justice needs being met?

“Churches should be putting more pressure on the government to reform laws to give victims equal access to the courts and to set aside profoundly unjust deeds of release. Victims are still having shocking trouble getting justice because they received a meagre settlement in the past and signed away their future rights in a deed of release.”
Cardinal George Pell: Vatican treasurer faces historical sexual offences trial
Read more

While the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney has been promoting details of the Pell fund, it said it had not established it, nor was it directing the funds. It has also previously said it is not responsible for Pell’s legal bills.

A spokeswoman for the Archdiocese of Sydney told Guardian Australia that there was no conflict of interest in running the ads in the Catholic Weekly or while Pell was on trial.

“The Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney stands by its statement to the royal commission to address child sexual abuse, but it also recognises the rights of the accused, any accused person, to defend themselves,” she said.

“Like any other citizen, Cardinal Pell is entitled to the presumption of innocence, he has pleaded not guilty and is also entitled to appoint the defence he wants.”

A spokeswoman for Pell, Katrina Lee, told the New Daily that while the Archdiocese of Sydney passed on details of the fund to those who asked, “the archdiocese has not contributed to this fund nor has the Vatican provided any funding”.

The ads for the fund, linked to a Bendigo Bank account, are appearing in other publications around the world. A website, cardinalpellappeal.com, has also been established.

What a loving ;augh

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
What are the best books about the Joh Bjelke-Petersen era? I know there is an author that has done 2 or more books about some high profile crooked cop setups (can't remember the names), but is there anything better for a general "this is how hosed up things were"?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

starkebn posted:

What are the best books about the Joh Bjelke-Petersen era? I know there is an author that has done 2 or more books about some high profile crooked cop setups (can't remember the names), but is there anything better for a general "this is how hosed up things were"?

I think you're referring to Matthew Condon's books which own but you're correct they're investigative non-fiction. The Lord's Premier is ok (forget author) but some of it is loving boring. Joh for PM owns. Peter Beattie's book contains interesting Joh content and a decent read.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yep
*looks at the light on the hill*

Queensland has come a long way.
*sheds a single tear*

The beacon of Australian ingenuity...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I will give you all the drum. There are no finer documents of record than hansard from the Joh era. Absolutely mind boggling content.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

bigis posted:

I guess there is an irony that s44 was presumably written to prevent the interference of foreign powers yet here we are.

At the time s44 was written commonwealth countries weren't considered foreign powers.

It was to prevent non-Anglos from been elected.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nibbles! posted:

At the time s44 was written commonwealth countries weren't considered foreign powers.

It was to prevent non-Anglos from been elected.

Which makes it as much about keeping out the French Third Republic and the Imperial Russians as it does 'orientals'

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 9, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I stop reading auspol for a week and labor loses 6 seats?

are these by-elections now the pre-election referendum?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ranter posted:

I stop reading auspol for a week and labor loses 6 seats?

are these by-elections now the pre-election referendum?

They'll contest them and win them again it's no biggie.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Former prime minister John Howard has joined leading business figures in calling for Newstart payments to be increased after Tuesday's budget delivered no extra benefits to the unemployed and clamped down further on welfare recipients.

Mr Howard, who established the work-for-the-dole scheme, said there was a debate to be had about increasing the level of payment from $40 a day.

"I actually think there is an argument about that, I do," he said at the PricewaterhouseCoopers post-budget breakfast in Melbourne on Wednesday.

"I was in favour of freezing that when it happened, but I think the freeze has probably gone on too long."

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
former libs are just making GBS threads over the current ones from all angles, whats the deal

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Reclines Obesily posted:

former libs are just making GBS threads over the current ones from all angles, whats the deal

They've realised raising NewStart means more money gets spent by the poors (since they need to spend 100% of what they earn to y'know... survive) and as far as I know they all hate Turnbull since he's not as far right as they'd like

Costello is just a loving idiot who people think are smart since he had the mining boom under him. Much like ScoMo last night, they had nothing to do with the increased revenue and instead global commodity markets made it possible.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
The answer is to have a guess what part of the budget that a piece of desiccated dogshit, you know the ones that explode into a white faecal dust cloud when you accidentally kick them because they've been in direct sunlight for weeks, like John Howard would look at cutting in order to pay for the increase of newstart.

"Hey we believe poor people should be given <large figure> more in their pockets! Look at us and how much we care for the poor please vote for us!"

*slashes billions out of public school funding / mental health services / all arts except the posh ones / CSIRO / whatever you get my point*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

:thunk:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

They'll contest them and win them again it's no biggie.

apparently one of the seats is held by the alp with a .8% margin so it’ll be interesting to watch

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jesus Christ if all this citizenship buffoonery leads the Libs to strengthening their majority rather than losing it than gently caress this planet into the sun

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tokamak posted:

this is what politicians want to believe

It seems to be the basis for their wages claims. Not seeing those cut because "government costs too much", eh. This was a poo poo Budget, the most cowardly from the Libs in a long time.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I want Bill Shorten to torpedo every part of this budget on Thursday.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I want Zingers flying left and right
I want him to say THIS GOVERNMENT loudly

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

aejix posted:

The answer is to have a guess what part of the budget that a piece of desiccated dogshit, you know the ones that explode into a white faecal dust cloud when you accidentally kick them because they've been in direct sunlight for weeks, like John Howard would look at cutting in order to pay for the increase of newstart.

"Hey we believe poor people should be given <large figure> more in their pockets! Look at us and how much we care for the poor please vote for us!"

*slashes billions out of public school funding / mental health services / all arts except the posh ones / CSIRO / whatever you get my point*

While I don't doubt that Howard would approve, it's not the the sole reason for his suggestion, it's a bonus feature. The prime reasons for his suggestion are:

1. He doesn't have to answer politically for what he says any more, so he can say the unpalatable things.

2. The unpalatable things are that the demographics of youth unemployment, general underemployment and older people on the dole by default because they raised the pension age and are trying to avoid NDIS have risen to a significant percentage of "never going to vote Liberal". Unless he starts saying "save the whales", this is the kind of response I'd expect from a neoliberal who wasn't just brainfarting.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

Labor were smart and brave to pass evil Dutton KGB bill.

Greens bad for opposing it. Literal children that won't form government.

I completely agree, fellow Australian citizen who will also not be purged because we are completely loyal to President Dutton.

All hail President Dutton for life!

*salutes portrait on wall*

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Was the NDIS given enough money? I was reading earlier about how they got rid of the tax they had intended to fund it with

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/stephendziedzic/status/994105426042998785

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
good idea

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

ewe2 posted:

While I don't doubt that Howard would approve, it's not the the sole reason for his suggestion, it's a bonus feature. The prime reasons for his suggestion are:

1. He doesn't have to answer politically for what he says any more, so he can say the unpalatable things.

2. The unpalatable things are that the demographics of youth unemployment, general underemployment and older people on the dole by default because they raised the pension age and are trying to avoid NDIS have risen to a significant percentage of "never going to vote Liberal". Unless he starts saying "save the whales", this is the kind of response I'd expect from a neoliberal who wasn't just brainfarting.

Fair play on point 1, agreed there. It's probably the longnecks that are preventing me from parsing point 2 - you're basically saying that the focus groups/internal polling/whatever have shifted negatively in significant enough numbers that they need to pump in however many pints of virgin blood are required to reanimate the corpse of Howard, in order to get him to throw out a few soundbites that will be dutifully repeated ad nauseum on every murdoch- or commercially-owned media outlet without question, promising money to the exact people on whose face the Libs have spent their entire lives grinding their boots?

Yes, i torture the english language and grammar for a living, come at me bro

vvvvvv dunno about mastermind, pretty sure every tory gently caress in this country was thinking the exact same thing, abbott is just stupid/smart/publicised enough to say it

fake third edit: actually maybe :thejoke:

aejix fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I take back what I said about them retaining we have a mastermind on the case for the liberal party. I didn't see this coming.

• Locked thread