Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Josephine is really pretty. Is that snake thing meant to be a cat toy, or did she just decide she liked it?

Good to hear Sarah has a home lined up. She's pretty too. Hope to see more of her in here before she goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Gorgar posted:

Good to hear Sarah has a home lined up. She's pretty too. Hope to see more of her in here before she goes.

Sarah came into the low income spay/neuter clinic so pregnant she just basically dropped her kittens on the spot. Initially, the owner said they didn't want her back. Once it was explained that someone else (me) would care for Sarah (I have no idea what her actual name is, BTW) and make sure the kittens were adopted and that someone else (the rescue) would pay for it all, they agreed to take Sarah back once she weaned the kittens and was spayed.

I am trying hard not to judge because I don't know the owner's situation at all. Sarah is wonderfully friendly, not at all fearful and trusts me with her kittens. She was clearly well loved and I doubt she has experienced any abuse. However she wasn't spayed, got outside at least once, and had not been properly groomed in a long time. I'm telling myself she escaped, had a long adventure, found her way home and was so floofy her owners didn't realize she had gotten herself knocked up.

She's hard to photograph because she is winding herself around my ankles basically 100% of the time I'm in her room. I will enlist some help from Mr. Wroughtirony later and get some glamor shots!

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 26, 2018

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I hope that person is better than they sound. Not wanting her back. *grump*

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gorgar posted:

I hope that person is better than they sound. Not wanting her back. *grump*

They probably assumed they'd have to pay for spaying her and taking care of the kittens and vet bills etc, and couldn't afford it so they decided to give her up to a shelter instead. The shelter's taking care of that stuff, which it sounds like this family couldn't pay for, so they're taking her back.

I'm guessing she's a much loved pet of a very poor family that couldn't afford to take the best care of her.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

They probably assumed they'd have to pay for spaying her and taking care of the kittens and vet bills etc, and couldn't afford it so they decided to give her up to a shelter instead. The shelter's taking care of that stuff, which it sounds like this family couldn't pay for, so they're taking her back.

I'm guessing she's a much loved pet of a very poor family that couldn't afford to take the best care of her.

That's exactly what I am assuming. She really is a sweetheart.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Gorgar posted:

Josephine is really pretty. Is that snake thing meant to be a cat toy, or did she just decide she liked it?

It is totally just a thing we had, which she decided she liked. Now we just leave it in the spots she likes to sleep and she snuggles up to it.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Those kittens are impossibly cute and their names own bones :kimchi:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

This isn't fair. :kingsley:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Day sixteen and the kittens are starting to get just a little fiesty! But here they are in their usual sleepy kitten pile...

I got Mama Sarah some more toys to keep her occupied. Here she is checking out the captive ball tower:

Kittens are always sweet and quiet at this age...

Nah, just kidding! They're starting to interact more with each other and explore their world!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

SSG Sassypants and MAJ Tom playing while Dr. Sterling sleeps, as usual. Their little personalities are starting to show and they are beginning to play with each other.

https://i.imgur.com/4ViP5Kx.mp4

Let me know if y'all get bored with the kittenpics... ;-)

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

Wroughtirony posted:

I know these are words in English, but I don't get what you're trying to say with them?

(I don't think we will ever be bored of kitten pics.)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Wroughtirony posted:

:justpost:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Major Tom, Space Explorer, Earmuff.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Good cattes. More updates from me soon, good and exciting things, butterscotch is getting a baby human sister soon!

For now, go support your favorite chunkmonster in the best cat thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856045

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Yo wroughtirony, how's mama doing? Think the biggest surprise for us when fostering kittens was just how much of a variable the mama cat's temperaments were. Not just from cat to cat, but day to day. Crazy little buggers.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Chili posted:

Yo wroughtirony, how's mama doing? Think the biggest surprise for us when fostering kittens was just how much of a variable the mama cat's temperaments were. Not just from cat to cat, but day to day. Crazy little buggers.

Mama Sarah is good for the most part. She's super affectionate and friendly. Only problem is she's pulling her fur out at the base of her tail. I have her on revolution so I doubt it's flea bite allergy, so I think it's either stress/boredom or discomfort from the matted fur on her sassypants. I'm trying to spend more time grooming her and I ordered a mat-removing comb to see if I can get her all pretty and groomed and happy before she goes back to her owners- that way they can see that it's do-able to maintain her coat without mats. She's the prettiest floofmonster and I'll miss her when I have to give her back!

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I will miss Sarah when she disappears from the thread. Hell, I still miss Pye.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
After a long hiatus I finally got fosters again! Things were delayed because the unusually cold weather here has put a damper on kitten season until now. I've got a mom and her 3 kittens- mom is named Jenna Maroney and the kittens are Tracey Jordan, Dot Com, and Grizz. I'll have pictures up soon, my phone is currently bricked so once someone else gets home I'll use their phone to get lots of pics and video

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Tom and Steve have a home!!!

They're going to be adopted together once they're neutered. They're going to a vet tech's parents. :3

I also got the serious-business de-matting comb from amazon today. I'm going to practice not shredding myself or my non-matted cats with it first before using it on Sarah. Hopefully soon I can post pics of Sarah looking like she stepped off the cover of Cat Fancy. (or at least get her comfortable enough she stops trying to bite the fur off her own rear end.)

e:

Here she is after round one with the de-matting comb. That cup you see on the table is full of what I was able to remove- mostly fluffy undercoat. I'm about 15% done with the mats.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 8, 2018

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Chili posted:

Good cattes. More updates from me soon, good and exciting things, butterscotch is getting a baby human sister soon!

For now, go support your favorite chunkmonster in the best cat thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856045

I would love a 'Conversations with Butterscotch' video. I feel like he has a lot to say about life and his journey.

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!
This is South, our first foster. He has an upset stomach and a sore leg. He was a bit of a menace when we picked him up but he's being a very good boy now.

He's currently snoring at the foot of our bed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That is a very good doggo :>

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Seriously, I would foster fail the hell out of the dog.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I can't do dogs, I'd foster fail so hard.

Anyway, I finally got a short video of our fosters. My daughter took is and she didn't turn her camera for some reason, but oh well. My new phone comes Friday so hopefully after that I'll be able to photodump a lot more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApoYaaWMKo4

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!
He has a vet appointment today so we can find out what's wrong with his leg and see about getting him neutered.

Guys I think this one might end up being a foster fail :sweatdrop:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:toot:

failure is good

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Foster/Rescue Megathread: We Root For Failure

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Marchegiana posted:

After a long hiatus I finally got fosters again! Things were delayed because the unusually cold weather here has put a damper on kitten season until now. I've got a mom and her 3 kittens- mom is named Jenna Maroney and the kittens are Tracey Jordan, Dot Com, and Grizz. I'll have pictures up soon, my phone is currently bricked so once someone else gets home I'll use their phone to get lots of pics and video

I am extremely down with those names :3:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:colbert:

anyone that cares enough to foster cares even more for the failures.

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!
Took South to the vet today. He's on painkillers for his leg, no fracture found so best case scenario he just pulled a muscle and worst case he tore his ACL. We picked up a few new toys for him because he murdered his stuffed duck extremely quickly and he gets bored of playing with his tug of war rope after only a few minutes. He's really enjoying his Kong.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I can see part of a pitbull in there, but what else is he?

*Insert obvious "Very good boy" joke here*

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!

Kavak posted:

I can see part of a pitbull in there, but what else is he?

*Insert obvious "Very good boy" joke here*

We have no idea, they have labeled him as a Carolina dog cross or something like that. They found him a few weeks ago wandering around somewhere in Texas. Depending on what angle you look at him from you can see a bunch of different breeds.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Yeah a whole lotta good breed possibilities. Catahoula, Ridgeback, Cattle, Island dogs...

But ultimatley he's the best breed: loveable mutt.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Good lord :kimchi:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

SSG Steve Sassypants, MAJ Tom Catte Space Explorer, Dr. Sterling and Emma Esq. Attorney at Law might have two new foster siblings tomorrow. My friend has two 2 week old orphans and we're going to see if Sarah will nurse them. I'm a little worried about worms and fleas since my current batch is totally free of parasites, but kittens need nourishment and worms are treatable. Wish me luck!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pander posted:

Yeah a whole lotta good breed possibilities. Catahoula, Ridgeback, Cattle, Island dogs...

But ultimatley he's the best breed: loveable mutt.

Seems to be an American Brown Dog, a fine choice.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I should probably have some sort of certification either revoked or issued for excitedly posting on the internet about a cat's butt. However....

Sarah had no more mats! NONE! She let me cut/comb them all out. Next project is to make her butt look less like a crazy person attacked it at random with scissors, but I'm much, much less concerned about that. She has stopped pulling out her fur and seems super happy with her butt.

This has been an enthusiastic post about a cat's butt, thank you for joining us.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Wroughtirony posted:

I should probably have some sort of certification either revoked or issued for excitedly posting on the internet about a cat's butt. However....

Sarah had no more mats! NONE! She let me cut/comb them all out. Next project is to make her butt look less like a crazy person attacked it at random with scissors, but I'm much, much less concerned about that. She has stopped pulling out her fur and seems super happy with her butt.

This has been an enthusiastic post about a cat's butt, thank you for joining us.

Butts, poops, and eye-goop. The bread and butter of the foster thread.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

This isn't technically about a foster cat, just our regular idiot, but because the subject came up: what do people recommend for bathing cats with butt problems? We need to get our long-haired moron in for a proper sanitary clip, but we want to get her cleaned up beforehand. Are there particular soaps for this, or do we just want a lot of warm water and time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Wroughtirony posted:

Aww, who's a good kitty?