Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

If it's pro-Imperial, why do I keep insisting it isn't?

Is defending mass rapes really the hill you want to die on because jesus christ dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

It's anti-imperial dude. Sorry you can't read? :shrug:

Speaking of Okinawa though, let's take some time to remember that it is in many ways still colonized.

https://twitter.com/themainichi/status/986475427848794112

Do you think every school near a JSDF base evacuates every time a helicopter flies by?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Maybe they should tho.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

Do you think every school near a JSDF base evacuates every time a helicopter flies by?

“Can you demonstrate that this affects literally every single Okinawan?” :smug:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

“Can you demonstrate that this affects literally every single Okinawan?” :smug:

No there are many military bases throughout Japan. This is a dumb stunt being pulled by the school or something to get headlines. There’s lots of good reasons the US military should get out of Okinawa. A stupid stunt performed by people who care more about getting attention than their kids education is a very weak one, and you do absolutely nothing but look like an idiot for bringing attention to it, and moreover so self-satisfactorily.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Chomskyan posted:

It's anti-imperial dude. Sorry you can't read? :shrug:

Not really, it white-washes the Empire's atrocities on Okinawa and paints it as an American slaughter.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

No there are many military bases throughout Japan. This is a dumb stunt being pulled by the school or something to get headlines. There’s lots of good reasons the US military should get out of Okinawa. A stupid stunt performed by people who care more about getting attention than their kids education is a very weak one, and you do absolutely nothing but look like an idiot for bringing attention to it, and moreover so self-satisfactorily.

I see. So your reflexive response is accusing school administrators and the Defence Ministry of using kids as props to make the military look bad. I'm sure there's exactly no casual racism involved in that bulletproof assessment

e: just saw this in my twitter feed

https://twitter.com/jonmitchell_jp/status/982240397370912768

Couldn't help but notice how similar that sounds to what you're saying here. Pretty funny how all the criticisms of Okinawans tend to boil down to the same boring talking points that have been used forever

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 18, 2018

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

I see. So your reflexive response is accusing school administrators and the Defence Ministry of using kids as props to make the military look bad. I'm sure there's exactly no casual racism involved in that bulletproof assessment

Reading between the lines this sounds to me like it’s more of a standoff between the ministry of defense and school administration, with the school administration demanding to know whenever a helicopter comes near, and the MoD responding with very technical correctness whenever a heli comes anywhere close.

But thanks for the accusation that I’m anti-Japanese; it’s a refreshing change

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

LimburgLimbo posted:

Reading between the lines this sounds to me like it’s more of a standoff between the ministry of defense and school administration, with the school administration demanding to know whenever a helicopter comes near, and the MoD responding with very technical correctness whenever a heli comes anywhere close.

But thanks for the accusation that I’m anti-Japanese; it’s a refreshing change

It's not that you're anti-Japanese, it's a more general imperialist racism that's instilled in privileged Americans to help them cope with the many ways they're complicit with the oppression of peoples around the world. I'm not sure what exactly you expect the school to do. Falling debris from a helicopter could injure or kill a student and the US military has refused to cooperate with either the local govt or the defense ministry and won't stop flying over the school. It seems infinitely more likely that school officials are reacting to the concerns of parents who want their children to be safe, rather than using children as props to smear the US military or whatever your insinuation is.

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 19, 2018

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

This guy isn't worried about falling debris from helicopters? Must be a racist then.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The old men (and women too now) buttfucking/backstabbing each other machine seems to be warming up again after a long slumber

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelTCucek/status/986759322133676032

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelTCucek/status/986760853964779520

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelTCucek/status/986762616461705216

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 19, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, sorry to ask this kinda outta the blue, but it's been bugging me. In one of Langley Esquire's episodes, I can't recall which, I'm pretty sure they mentioned a former Japanese Prime Minister who's kinda gone off the deep end. Apparently he went to South Korea and prostrated himself in apology? That's how I recall it. They just mentioned how pretty much everyone was embarrassed at what the guy did, even though of course the apology was justified and noble in spirit.

Can anybody here tell me who that was? Was it an ex-PM like my memory says?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

That was Hatoyama

http://m.scmp.com/news/china/article/1355427/former-japanese-pm-yukio-hatoyama-apologises-atrocities-china

https://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2015/08/13/former-prime-minister-hatoyama-kneels-at-wartime-prison-in-seoul/

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Making a sincere apology for Japanese war crimes isn't "going off the deep end"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

Making a sincere apology for Japanese war crimes isn't "going off the deep end"

He means in the sense that Hatoyama was attacked as such by the right wing press and by Abe’s government. Part of why Hatoyama did it in the first place was as a gently caress you to the newly elected Abe government though

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How common is groping in Japan? I keep hearing stories about girls/women being groped on train cars. Is it worse than say America?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm not sure myself but I did see this related thread in /r/japanlife the other day: https://www.reddit.com/r/japanlife/comments/8de4xn/experiences_with_sexual_harassment_from_strangers

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Not sure if I should ask this here or in the anime thread, but from what understand, anime in Japan used to be relatively "normal" back in the 80s through the early 2000s, but due to the economy crashing things changed. The anime/manga market began focusing on hyper specific niche groups in order to get guaranteed ROI rather than risking something to appeal to everyone. As a result most anime properties are super niche, and are no more popular in their home country than random Adult Swim shows in America. Is this accurate?

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not sure if I should ask this here or in the anime thread, but from what understand, anime in Japan used to be relatively "normal" back in the 80s through the early 2000s, but due to the economy crashing things changed. The anime/manga market began focusing on hyper specific niche groups in order to get guaranteed ROI rather than risking something to appeal to everyone. As a result most anime properties are super niche, and are no more popular in their home country than random Adult Swim shows in America. Is this accurate?

I think it has more to do with the rise of the internet and the effect that had on more traditional forms of entertainment. Before the internet there wasn’t much money in making anything that wasn’t mainstream, but now there are whole markets for whatever weird thing you can come up with. The most popular mainstream anime is still directed at children, as it always has been, e.g. Doraemon, One Piece, etc.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not sure if I should ask this here or in the anime thread, but from what understand, anime in Japan used to be relatively "normal" back in the 80s through the early 2000s,
lol, nope

quote:

but due to the economy crashing things changed.

eh, less so that and more just because otaku buy dvds/bluray like crazy

quote:

The anime/manga market began focusing on hyper specific niche groups in order to get guaranteed ROI rather than risking something to appeal to everyone. As a result most anime properties are super niche, and are no more popular in their home country than random Adult Swim shows in America. Is this accurate?

anime has wide appeal but certain genres are aimed at certain demographics. the weird rear end business practices are less due to anime and moreso due to the fact that businesses in Japan are INSANELY risk-averse and conservative. like they literally decide how to price their media by how much it cost to make divided by how many people they expect to buy it. i vaguely recall that goon localization company (the ones that localized recettear) having problems trying to get the japanese devs to price things like a steam title instead of 80$ each.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

there's a lot of hugely popular anime and a lot of the 'niche' feeling of anime is actually slipping further away. a lot of kids in japan are into touhou and fate/grand order and poo poo which before used to be pretty specifically otaku stuff (Fate/grand order is literally based on a visual novel with hentai in it), a lot of fairly normal adults usually have at least one or two things they're into or at least some nostalgia for older series. Manga magazine sales are down, but manga volume sales are pretty well up, and there's more diversity in the sales. Not to mention mobile games are hugely successful, and all of those have anime as heck aesthetics.

The thing people don't really get about anime is that for the most part, manga and light novels are the actual things that are meant to sell. The anime adaptations of those things exist to promote the manga and light novels. Obviously original anime exists, and obviously some adaptations of those things become popular in their own right, but manga and light novels are a lot easier to consume: they're less exorbiently priced, you can read them whenever, you don't have to dedicated 22 minutes of your day just to get one story beat into them. Heck, if you're a fast reader you can probably blow through an entire light novel in the time it'd take to watch two episodes of an anime. Considering how tight for time a lot of Japanese people are, both students and adult workers, it's just a more sensible way of consuming media.

So the anime version of My Hero Academa does decent but not great TV ratings and the blu-rays barely move the needle at all, and if you look at that you might go 'ah, even this, the most popular kids' action anime currently airing, is not very popular in the grand scheme of things,' but the manga volumes are selling very well, and the anime's just an ad for the manga. Figurines, posters, blu-rays, those are things meant to appeal to hardcore fans and milk them for all they're worth, but if you're just talking more 'normal' people, they don't care if they buy the blu-ray, but they figure they can probably get them to check out the manga.

There's some exceptions to this scheme, Monogatari is hugely popular on blu-ray despite being a light novel adaptation, but Monogatari is hugely otaku-focused even in light novel form, so tracks.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 7, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait this is the politics thread uhhhhh

its gonna be funny seeing a bunch of old politicians who jumped on the 'otaku are a menace' bandwagon back in the late 80s/early 90s talking out the side of their mouth about how much they love the dragon balls of z during the olympics

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Endorph posted:

wait this is the politics thread uhhhhh

its gonna be funny seeing a bunch of old politicians who jumped on the 'otaku are a menace' bandwagon back in the late 80s/early 90s talking out the side of their mouth about how much they love the dragon balls of z during the olympics

Aso's always loved manga, since his time as PM in the 00s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar%C5%8D_As%C5%8D#Manga_fan

quote:

Manga fan

Asō argues that embracing Japanese pop culture can be an important step to cultivating ties with other countries, hoping that manga will act as a bridge to the world.[54] He is referred to as an otaku.[55]

Asō has been a fan of manga since childhood. He had his family send manga magazines from Japan while he was studying at Stanford University.[56] In 2003, he described reading about 10 or 20 manga magazines every week (making up only part of Asō's voracious reading) and talked about his impression of various manga extemporaneously.[56] In 2007, as Minister for Foreign Affairs, he established the International Manga Award for non-Japanese manga artists.[57][58][59]

It was reported that he was seen reading the manga Rozen Maiden in Tokyo International Airport, which earned him the sobriquet "His Excellency Rozen".[60] He admitted in an interview that he had read the manga; however, he said he did not remember whether he had read it in an airport.[61] He is a fan of Golgo 13, a long-running manga about an assassin for hire.[2]

Asō's candidacy for the position of Japanese Prime Minister actually caused share-value to rise among some manga publishers and companies related to the manga industry.[54]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Aso's always loved manga, since his time as PM in the 00s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar%C5%8D_As%C5%8D#Manga_fan

yeah aso's a real one

rozen maiden tho? kinda poo poo taste my man

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Wow. Thanks for the responses.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I would look more at broadcasting changes than pressures related to the economic problems. Originally creators essentially had to make anime for kids, (i.e. normal), because it was going to be broadcast in a daytime timeslot. Starting in the 1990s shows started being produced for late-night timeslots, which allowed creators to make shows for different, older, niche audiences. Although, as other people have mentioned, anime was never normal, and the comparatively normal stuff has never gone away.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Thug Lessons posted:

I would look more at broadcasting changes than pressures related to the economic problems. Originally creators essentially had to make anime for kids, (i.e. normal), because it was going to be broadcast in a daytime timeslot. Starting in the 1990s shows started being produced for late-night timeslots, which allowed creators to make shows for different, older, niche audiences. Although, as other people have mentioned, anime was never normal, and the comparatively normal stuff has never gone away.

To some degree that shift took place in the early '80s, with the direct-to-video market allowing for depths of depravity that have now mostly retreated to Patron-tier self-publishing. This was much to the chagrin of 'I'm normal get this skeeve out of here' western fans, as ultraviolence is also one of those depths but realistic blood splatter is much more work to draw than unrealistic tiddy.

Endorph's assessment is also very accurate, though I'll also note that a good-sized chunk of the "otaku" market are underaged or are college kids following tastes formed when they were. The middling late-night softcore shows that sell to a few thousand thirsty nerds are tamer than they ever were, you certainly would never be able to get something like Ranma on TV now even at midnight without cuts for sexual content, but are still conceptualized in large part as pushing the line in order to collect teens' part-time job money in exchange for providing something fappable that they don't need a fake ID to buy.

On-topic, the DPFP have adopted their branding, and it's hilariously on-the-nose in that it's basically the CDP branding except tilted a bit more to the right.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Mandoric posted:

On-topic, the DPFP have adopted their branding, and it's hilariously on-the-nose in that it's basically the CDP branding except tilted a bit more to the right.

I will never be able to see that abbreviation without hearing that stupid song in my head, and now neither will a bunch of you.

https://twitter.com/rikken_minshu/status/993496780615532544

Oh, and apparently they went with Democratic Party For the People instead of National Democratic Party/NDP out of fear of making people think of the NSDAP :thunk:

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 8, 2018

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I really appreciate Tobias Harris
https://twitter.com/observingjapan/status/993810325089681409

mystes
May 31, 2006

If anyone wants to see the program (Prime News) where Ishiba made these remarks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv-WkoYNeyY&t=600s

(The audio is a bit out of sync unfortunately.)

Ishiba has become more critical of Abe/the LDP recently, which I guess shows that he sees the Abe administration as a sinking ship and/or sees that this is his opportunity to become PM.

He was also quite critical a few weeks ago of the way the LDP delegated the writing of its new Article 9 draft without actually deciding what it would say in advance, which presumably was a way to give less opportunity for people to criticize the draft before it was release, and therefore unsurprisingly when the actual draft was announced within the last week or so ended up meaning that the wording of the actual draft ended up going a bit further than what had previously been announced (not including language about using the minimum necessary force, etc.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 8, 2018

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

I will never be able to see that abbreviation without hearing that stupid song in my head, and now neither will a bunch of you.

https://twitter.com/rikken_minshu/status/993496780615532544

Oh, and apparently they went with Democratic Party For the People instead of National Democratic Party/NDP out of fear of making people think of the NSDAP :thunk:

Or the NDP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Democratic_Party_of_Germany

They were considering calling it just the 国民党 though, which would have been interesting to translate. The Kuomintang has a better international image than the NSDAP or NDP but somehow I feel like the international press corps would go apeshit over a Japanese 'Nationalist Party' no matter what kind of policies it espoused

mystes posted:

If anyone wants to see the program (Prime News) where Ishiba made these remarks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv-WkoYNeyY&t=600s

(The audio is a bit out of sync unfortunately.)

Ishiba has become more critical of Abe/the LDP recently, which I guess shows that he sees the Abe administration as a sinking ship and/or sees that this is his opportunity to become PM.

He was also quite critical a few weeks ago of the way the LDP delegated the writing of its new Article 9 draft without actually deciding what it would say in advance, which presumably was a way to give less opportunity for people to criticize the draft before it was release, and therefore unsurprisingly when the actual draft was announced within the last week or so ended up meaning that the wording of the actual draft ended up going a bit further than what had previously been announced (not including language about using the minimum necessary force, etc.)

What are Ishiba's politics like? My impression is that he's sort of an old-style rural patronage politician/populist like Ozawa but his big issue is the military/rearmament? Is he a big nationalist or is he pro-defense for other reasons?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 8, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

What are Ishiba's politics like? My impression is that he's sort of an old-style rural patronage politician/populist like Ozawa but his big issue is the military/rearmament? Is he a big nationalist or is he pro-defense for other reasons?
For the last several years his job has been to basically go around defending the views of the LDP and Abe on every point (he won a national debate tournament in college and it shows in a way that I don't think is necessarily good). As a result I don't really have a sense of what his personal political leanings are aside from defense. For better or worse he seems to be basically a pragmatist without a strong ideology. Apparently in his book he gave making Japan more independent as a reason for expanding the military and revising article 9 which is pretty mild as these things go, and he's never given any signs of serious right wing tendencies (Wikipedia also has an alleged quote from him that suggests he's opposed to Abe's efforts to modify the school curriculum to foster patriotism but it's listed as "citation needed" and I can't find an actual source). Unless he suddenly reveals that he's secretly held crazy views but was hiding them, he seems to have much less of a right wing bent than Abe. Of course, Abe has always been good at making noises about nationalist issues to appeal to the right wing while not actually following through on them (regardless of whatever his actual views are), so I don't know if Ishiba will just completely ignore these things or if he will have to, for example, make a show of wanting to visit Yasukuni but refraining out of a desire to avoid straining international relations or whatever.

Of course, I think part of the appeal Abe had was that he seemed to have a specific vision, and it might be hard for Ishiba to live up to this. On the other hand, he seems too smart to get embroiled in the sort of gray-area cronyism scandals that keep occurring in the Abe administration, and with the current state of the opposition parties he probably doesn't really need to do anything more than seem like a competent technocrat if there's a general election.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How about Kishida? He's supposedly from the more centrist liberal faction, but does he have any public presence at all? And wikipedia says both him and Ishiba are members of Nippon Kaigi, although my guess is that's basically a requirement for all LDP members at this point even if they're not personally true believers

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't know that much about Kishida, but he has made his stance on more issues clear and he seems to be more or less in line with Abe's views. He did refrain from visiting Yasukuni while Minister for Foreign Affairs, but this appears to have been purely out of concern for the effect on international relations. I guess in the end things will probably be the same regardless of who replaces Abe.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

mystes posted:

I don't know that much about Kishida, but he has made his stance on more issues clear and he seems to be more or less in line with Abe's views. He did refrain from visiting Yasukuni while Minister for Foreign Affairs, but this appears to have been purely out of concern for the effect on international relations. I guess in the end things will probably be the same regardless of who replaces Abe.

You mean in economic terms or in nationalist/historical-revisionist terms? If he becomes PM do you see him taking a more conciliatory line towards history issues than Abe, or the opposite?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 9, 2018

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Wait hold the phone. There’s a Japanese political party that goes by NSDAP? They should really rethink those initials.

Like, that must be a joke I didn’t get right? No way that’s real.

Edit: nope didn’t read carefully enough.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 9, 2018

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

poo poo like this makes me wary of Ishiba:

Secrecy law protests ‘act of terrorism’: LDP secretary-general

quote:

Citizens demonstrating against the controversial state secrets bill are committing “an act terrorism,” according to Liberal Democratic Party Secretary-General Shigeru Ishiba.

In a blog post Friday, he wrote: “If you want to realize your ideas and principles, you should follow the democratic principles, by gaining as much support as you can. I think the strategy of merely shouting one’s opinions at the top of one’s lungs is not so fundamentally different from an act of terrorism.”

In a speech Sunday in Toyama Prefecture, Ishiba maintained his criticism of the rallies being held outside the prime minister’s office. More than 1,000 people gathered there last Tuesday when the ruling coalition rammed the state secrets bill through the Lower House.

Ganguro King fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 9, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

70% of women quit their jobs after having their first child?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21880124

As in 70% of women become housewives after having their first kid?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

70% of women quit their jobs after having their first child?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21880124

As in 70% of women become housewives after having their first kid?

A few may return to work after their kids get old enough to go to daycare, if they get a slot for daycare, but yeah around that. Passes the sniff test at any rate, though not sure where their data comes from.

It's a huge problem. Even if they go back to work the gap in their career tends to relegate them to low level positions as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Why even go to college of you are going to be a housewife?