Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

there wolf posted:

Yeah, that's because you're a Brit and your speech is closer to every dialect on that island than American dialects. I'd happily parse you some mountain talk if you could serve as interpreter next time I'm at a Subway in a remote Scottish town.

They call them Tubes over there, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I went to Iowa once, visited the family burial plot for a funeral, and there was a town a few miles away from the family property called Thor. It had I think 7 streets and one restaurant. This place of eating had a menu that was primarily things they could microwave heat out of the freezer.

Except for the "Pizza Burger: two buns, slicked with butter. A 1 pound hamburger patty with cheddar cheese around a quarter of an inch thick on both sides of the patty, of all which was then placed in the deep fryer. Then once the patty and cheese had been fused in the fryer they dipped it in marinara sauce, added two more slices of cheese melted onto the fried mess, and then slammed it between those buttery buns and finally doused with salt.

A friend asked about salad. He received a wooden bowl with a half tomato sliced into it, dollop of mayonnaise on top and sprinkled with bits of carrot. I still don't really know if that was them loving with him or was their actual answer to "a salad".

I sometimes am not sure that Thor is a real place, but maybe just a humid nightmare brought about by family stress.

e: this compelled me to look it up. Thor is real, is in the Norway Township (lol). The restaurant was named Unkies Entertainer.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Peacoffee posted:

e: this compelled me to look it up. Thor is real, is in the Norway Township (lol). The restaurant was named Unkies Entertainer.

Google maps has that place tagged as a Gastro Pub!!!!!!!!!

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

TyroneGoldstein posted:

look at the photos of their food. It's more varied than when I was last there but they still have things like hash browns with kraft american singles melted on top.

e: I know at least ten people born there who've eaten it most of their life and mysteriously had strokes and heart attacks before 50.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LeadSled posted:

Seeing how that's right next to Branson, I think the clientele is either self selecting or there involuntarily with their grandparents.

So yeah, they probably love the gently caress out of some Crab Stick.

Lambert posted:

Ah yes, who doesn't love visiting Silver Dollar City and eating their world-famous crab sticks!

the only times i ever visited Branson was with my youth group on a weekend where Silver Dollar City was taken over by a Christian Youth Event. I do not recall eating any crab sticks.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Grand Prize Winner posted:

They call them Tubes over there, I think.

Genuinely laughed aloud at this, thank you.

People always ask me questions about London, probably because they couldn't name another city in Britain. I'm from a town of 60k people whose nearest proper city, if you can call it that, is Stoke-on-Trent... and I don't much like big cities. The only time we would nip down to London is to take a plane out of Heathrow.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Peacoffee posted:

look at the photos of their food. It's more varied than when I was last there but they still have things like hash browns with kraft american singles melted on top.

hey, if it's good enough for waffle house

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

People always ask me questions about London, probably because they couldn't name another city in Britain.

My American in-laws can't seem to keep straight where I grew up, they keep asking about London.

Weirdest moment when was one of them described Scotland as being a separate island, and then kept insisting when I tried to explain.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

duz posted:

hey, if it's good enough for waffle house

Looking over their menu now there is seafood and green things and the pizza burger is gone (I don't recognize my toxic little town eatery anymore!) :colbert:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm moving to Canada in a couple weeks, which has been fun for me because I've been able to find out just how little a grasp most people have on the basic geography of our continent. I get not knowing like, where Winnipeg is or whatever but "wait, it goes all the way to the east coast?" and "Canada has cities?" is bizarre to me. I guess I've also met people who legit don't know that Mexico isn't literally one huge slum so it's not a huge surprise but it makes me wonder if they think the northern Montana border is beachfront property.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
do they think that canada has a country occupying its east coast or do they think the arctic circle extends all the way down to maine

both of these are frightening propositions

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The consolation prize to Quizno's almost being extinct from NE Ohio is that there's still a bunch of Mr. Hero's around.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

Also, and I say this as a Brit who loves his proper tea and iced tea, I'm pretty sure that "sweet tea" is really just sugar water (emphasis on sugar) with brown dye in it.

Well, you're not wrong.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Check out these guys from North Carolina and see if you can understand them better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7MvtQp2-UA

Or try your ear at the Tangier Island accent.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
sweet tea is a thing that is really confusing in 2018 when everyone has infinity sugar but made more sense when sugar was some hard thing to grow and living in the south and having such easy access to sugar that you could drink it every day was some big deal ultra luxury.

Like for most of history Europe either didn't have sugar or had it as some import good that you couldn't use much of. While the south could grow it in unlimited quantities to the point they could just put it in everyday food even if you weren't well off. That probably ended up being bad long term for them. But it isn't just them having bad taste in food or something, that was like some super richy rich luxury thing they were flaunting over everyone else. Like eating a brick of gold every morning or something like donald trump.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TyroneGoldstein posted:

My experience with most gastro pubs has been that they are places trying really hard to be hip where you get slightly fancier bar food and pay like 3x the normal price for it. I've come to hate pretty much any place that describes itself as such because it usually just means I'm going to be hit with a hipster surcharge.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

One time we were in a Subway and this couple in a lifted truck came in. After ordering, the lady said, angrily to the man, "You said I could have a footlong." Then took her sandwhich and sat at a seperate table from him.
Also Jared is in a federal prison 10 minutes down the road from our current apartment.

The end.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

sweet tea is a thing that is really confusing in 2018 when everyone has infinity sugar but made more sense when sugar was some hard thing to grow and living in the south and having such easy access to sugar that you could drink it every day was some big deal ultra luxury.

Like for most of history Europe either didn't have sugar or had it as some import good that you couldn't use much of. While the south could grow it in unlimited quantities to the point they could just put it in everyday food even if you weren't well off. That probably ended up being bad long term for them. But it isn't just them having bad taste in food or something, that was like some super richy rich luxury thing they were flaunting over everyone else. Like eating a brick of gold every morning or something like donald trump.

yeah it's pretty bad

it's almost like our bodies can't properly handle the huge amounts of sugar in everything nowadays

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DrNutt posted:

My experience with most gastro pubs has been that they are places trying really hard to be hip where you get slightly fancier bar food and pay like 3x the normal price for it. I've come to hate pretty much any place that describes itself as such because it usually just means I'm going to be hit with a hipster surcharge.

Fries in a little metal cup and aioli, that’ll be :20bux:

And tapas, gently caress tapas.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If you don't have fried butter at least once a week you're probably a communist.

Funnel cakes are an acceptable substitute if you're on a diet.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

skooma512 posted:

Fries in a little metal cup and aioli, that’ll be :20bux:

And tapas, gently caress tapas.

Yeah, the ol' trick of using lesser known foreign words to describe the same old poo poo and adding another 5-10 bucks onto the menu price. Wanna be foodie poo poo heads ruining the local dining market is making George angry!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mandatory lesbian posted:

do they think that canada has a country occupying its east coast or do they think the arctic circle extends all the way down to maine

both of these are frightening propositions

They just don't think about geography at all. I'm someone who has always loved maps and work with maps/plans for a living, and I think anyone who plays "map games" like civilization or EU or what ever also develop some geographic thinking. But for a ton of people they don't create these top-down mental maps of their world, not even where they live let alone the wider world. They think via landmarks and street names and general distance but they don't build maps in their head, they have trouble reading maps, and they don't have a map of their country or continent or planet in their head at all.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Baronjutter posted:

They just don't think about geography at all. I'm someone who has always loved maps and work with maps/plans for a living, and I think anyone who plays "map games" like civilization or EU or what ever also develop some geographic thinking. But for a ton of people they don't create these top-down mental maps of their world, not even where they live let alone the wider world. They think via landmarks and street names and general distance but they don't build maps in their head, they have trouble reading maps, and they don't have a map of their country or continent or planet in their head at all.
This is so true.

I know a girl who was, on her 17th birthday, shocked to learn that one could drive to Boston from Rhode Island.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Since we are still talking Subway, I was at the hospital with my son on Friday and needed to get some food. The Potbelly location had a super long line of a dozen people. Went across the street and walked into the Subway and there was zero people waiting.

Even nurses ain’t eating that trash.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

DrNutt posted:

(New) American is what you really need to watch out for. Also anything "rustic" or "urban."

Edit: The same thing happened decades ago to bistro, which is a word that means "a small unpretentious restaurant" but became a surefire sign of a place that was all talk and spendy.

moller fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 9, 2018

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Image_of_the_City

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

I absolutely feel like I have less concrete maps of cities and areas I grew up with than places I only encountered later.

Like I could go to boston and walk between any of the stores I know of and be able to envision the turns to make but if you asked me what store was east or west of the other I'd only be able to answer by working it out, I learned the city over a bunch of visits organically and I have a pretty loosey goosey organic map compared to cities I've only been to once where I feel like I absolutely have a strong mental map (that is specifically an image of a google maps map) in a very map first way.

Like I feel like the less I have been to a city the more my image of the city is the map of the city and the more familiar I am with a city the more the map is just a loose thing that I hang on the ground memories of with less of a particular map style image.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Baronjutter posted:

Basically this. They just don't think about it at all, so the information "there is something above Minnesota" doesn't really exist because it's not relevant (if they even know where Minnesota is). They're probably aware of there being something above America, but it's so completely out of their boundary of necessary information that it exists as a kind of hazy semi-nonexistent concept (see also "I thought China was an island" and "aren't South Africans from Australia?").

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well it doesn't help that Alaska forms the western border of Canada either. And before 1949, Newfoundland was a separate thing on the east.

On the whole the effect is that Canada totally has New Hampshire-coastline syndrome on the West and used to on the East which can make it easy for someone who doesn't look closely to not even think about it. Not to mention that things east of Quebec City are pretty empty too.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

fishmech posted:

Not to mention that things east of Quebec City are pretty empty too.

Not much north of it, either. I was stationed in Bagotville-Saguenay and the only two things up there are gently caress and all.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

fishmech posted:

Well it doesn't help that Alaska forms the western border of Canada either. And before 1949, Newfoundland was a separate thing on the east.

Yes. The problem is that the people we are discussing learned geography before Newfoundland joined confederation 70 years ago.

Actually, maybe they learned it before British Columbia joined on the west coast 150 years ago.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

JustJeff88 posted:

I have been to the most arse-end rural parts of Scotland, Wales, Cornwall and other remote areas of the British Isles, but I had never found myself unable to understand an English-speaking person until I found myself in northwest Georgia. Also, and I say this as a Brit who loves his proper tea and iced tea, I'm pretty sure that "sweet tea" is really just sugar water (emphasis on sugar) with brown dye in it.

It is possible that this is some made-up bullshit that my credulous mind accepted too readily but as a North Carolinian my understanding is that the Southern accent is the closest thing that still exists to an 18th century British working class accent. Back in Britain, the settlers' counterparts drifted over time in trying to emulate the upper class accent but there was no such effect in the isolated colonies.

Same thing for the eastern North Carolina vinegar-and-peppers barbecue sauce, it's an Old World relic of a time when tomatoes were believed to be poisonous.

Sweet tea varies widely - some restaurants actually use enough tea that it's noticeable, others serve sugar water. I would recommend that if you want to try it but aren't used to it, ask your server to cut it half and half with unsweetened; it's a common request.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This is so true.

I know a girl who was, on her 17th birthday, shocked to learn that one could drive to Boston from Rhode Island.

Got that beat. My American ex when we were talking about a move to Brussels for my new job asked, sincerely, how long it would take.to drive to visit her sister who was au pairing. In new Zealand. No grasp of geography whatsoever.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

It's not just an American thing, trust me. I've worked with some very geographically-challenged people in the UK too. The best (worst?) example was when a coworker and I had a momentary good-natured disagreement about if Wales counts as a separate country, and the lady next to us said of course it does, "because you have to go over water to get there."

I'm not going to try to unpack that statement, I'm just going to ... yeah.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm disappointed that the Branson Titanic Museum isn't a full-sized, fully featured ship that serves as a museum, a restaurant, a casino, a hotel, a concert venue, and the setting for an sy-fi original movie where the Titanic museum starts to sink.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I thought New England was a state until junior or senior year of high school :v:

Which is even more confusing when you consider that I had the Animaniacs song about states and their capitols memorized at that point

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Peacoffee posted:

I once visited the lone restaurant in a Southern town of a few hundred people, and IIRC they had a single item on the menu that wasn't deep fried. I can't remember what it was anymore, I just remember being flabbergasted at the lack of healthy options.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Collard greens, probably.

They were cooked in bacon fat instead of deep frying.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I thought New England was a state until junior or senior year of high school :v:
Given that southern Maine and southern New Hampshire are suburbs of Boston, it's an understandable misconception.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Collard greens, probably.

They were cooked in bacon fat instead of deep frying.

this is totally tangential to everything but i moved from virginia to minnesota recently and i was talking with a black guy from work about food and i mentioned liking collard greens and he was absolutely flabbergasted cause apparently no white people up here eat it

which is a drat shame cuz greens are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mandatory lesbian posted:

this is totally tangential to everything but i moved from virginia to minnesota recently and i was talking with a black guy from work about food and i mentioned liking collard greens and he was absolutely flabbergasted cause apparently no white people up here eat it

which is a drat shame cuz greens are good

yeah people unfamiliar with southern food generally signal their unfamiliarity by being unaware of how many leafy greens, beans etc. are staples in the cuisine