Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream

Splicer posted:

in general freezing them as quickly as possible is how people store mould and bacteria samples.

this is true but you have to freeze them very quickly in a glycerol solution or the ice crystals rupture the cells and they die. even with the exact right conditions you lose a lot of cells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This is art.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This, plus the shed with a pipe coming out the window, immortalized in the emoticon: :grovertoot:

:lol: I didn't realize that was the shed! I thought it was just a stylized interpretation of the whole mess. This is amazing.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The legendary insulated stairs!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

wesleywillis posted:

So what was the deal with the Grover house? Was it crappy construction?

Son, that thread is the godfather of all crappy construction threads. Enjoy this media archive.

wesleywillis posted:

What happened to Grover the mod? Did he resign as a result of his crappy construction, or because there was an impostor Grover that made a lovely construction thing?

Pretended he was a cross between a Tier 1 Beard and the head of the CIA despite being a low level civilian contractor with a fetish for F-22s and combat lasers and was rightly run out of GiP as a result.

Tristesse posted:

The stupid stairs had a window right at the landing the stairs were largely pointing to so anyone who tripped and fell down would fly right out the window. Also the stairs were indoors but coated in layers of insulation for reasons. Gotta keep the stairs warm! I can't find a picture right now but I'm sure someone will.

That was only the tip of the iceberg as far as the window situation got. Don't forget the thermostat placed on said stairs, in direct sunlight

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Or the dozens upon dozens of outlets placed every six feet on every wall. Including above the kitchen cabinets.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Or the dozens upon dozens of outlets placed every six feet on every wall. Including above the kitchen cabinets.

Christ I forgot about that. Wasn’t he stringing 10+ outlets on a single circuit as well?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Perfectly cromulent.

The picture of him standing in the trench covered in mud with this confused thousand yard stare is my personal favourite of the groverhaus series.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

Christ I forgot about that. Wasn’t he stringing 10+ outlets on a single circuit as well?

Yeah, I think that was the part that made the inspector go :stonk:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Perfectly cromulent.

The picture of him standing in the trench covered in mud with this confused thousand yard stare is my personal favourite of the groverhaus series.

:same:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Proteus Jones posted:

Honestly 10 can be fine, provided the intended loads are small. Like a large living room or bedroom suite or something. Not a workshop obviously. Not sure how his was mapped.

Pics of the groverhaus aren’t nearly as bad as some houses I saw for sale this month. Here’s my favorite, we called it the column house, for obvious reasons. The bathroom heating vent was partially buried under one as well. Every detail was off, wavy base trim, bad tiling, bedroom columns, kitchen sink in a weird spot.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9945-W-34th-Dr-WHEAT-RIDGE-CO-80033/13740339_zpid/

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

crazypeltast52 posted:

The legendary insulated stairs!

Whu...what? I mean, I see the insulation, but what? Why?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Whu...what? I mean, I see the insulation, but what? Why?

Groverhaus is a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in vinyl siding.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I can definitely see the thought process.

Floors need insulation. I'm going to insulate every floor because why not, it's a small expense, let's overkill it. Doesn't matter that this is an open mezzanine. I mean, why not do the stairs too?

Obviously you'd want a reality check about half way through that train of thought but still. I can see it.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I had imagined he had a past experience with noisy, creaky stairs and figured some leftover insulation might work to deaden the sound. But now I'm wondering if the space under the stairs was going to be cooled for sauerkraut storage.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I had imagined he had a past experience with noisy, creaky stairs and figured some leftover insulation might work to deaden the sound. But now I'm wondering if the space under the stairs was going to be cooled for sauerkraut storage.

A previous tenant insulated the closet under the stairs to the attic and also installed a somewhat illegal non-permanent permanent outlet there and I thought it was just a murder cabinet but apparently it was a wine cabinet. Based on the other tenants I'm imagining 2 m3 of neatly racked climate-controlled 5€ Egri Bikavér bottles.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Iirc he just had leftover insulation and thought "why not." The profusion of outlets was in the kitchen, including lots of them on top of the kitchen cabinets iirc.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It was grovers power sockets that I had in mind when I laid out the ones in my house. I marked them on the plans everywhere I thought I'd need one, then removed a bunch, then asked the sparkies if it was still too much.

I actually think I could've done with a few more than I ended up with, but he was my cautionary whale.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jaded Burnout posted:

It was grovers power sockets that I had in mind when I laid out the ones in my house. I marked them on the plans everywhere I thought I'd need one, then removed a bunch, then asked the sparkies if it was still too much.

I actually think I could've done with a few more than I ended up with, but he was my cautionary whale.

Residentially, there's no limit on the number of receptacles or outlets you can have on a single circuit. It might be overkill (like the stair insulation) but it's not forbidden.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Residentially, there's no limit on the number of receptacles or outlets you can have on a single circuit. It might be overkill (like the stair insulation) but it's not forbidden.

Yeah I wasn't so much asking whether I could, instead getting guidance on whether I should.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I was reading the notes on some updates to the NEC and thought it was interesting when they increased the number of outlets required. The goal was to allow people direct safe runs from devices to outlets, reducing the number of extension cords, which were a source of danger. Tripping and pulling devices down or faulty wiring in the cords causing fires in homes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I wired my workshop, I put in outlets every 6' or thereabouts, plus four outlets in the ceiling for use on tools in the middle of the room. Who wants to deal with cord wrangling?

Of course, in a house you might care about the aesthetics of having outlets everywhere.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I need to be able to plug in my air fryer from any location in the kitchen.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you have a workshop or some sort of media room then a ton of outlets make sense; even having a lot of them in a kitchen isn't a bad idea, especially if you are the kind of person that loves to have lots of devices and want to be able to run your toaster and wafflemaker at the same time, while you use your juicero and start up your blender for a smoothie.

But I still can't work out why you would ever need them to be above the cabinets.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ashcans posted:

But I still can't work out why you would ever need them to be above the cabinets.

I can see maybe one or two total, switched, to power some sort of decorative lighting above the cabinets. A house I used to live in had that and it made sense. More than that though is getting crazy fast.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Proteus Jones posted:

My house, built in 1972 has wiring like that. Some individual outlets are on their own breaker. All three bathrooms run off of one breaker. That's lighting, outlets, and vent fans, 2 floors, three bathrooms, one GFI. Yes, the breaker trips often. Some circuits pass between different rooms so each wall has a different breaker. Those circuits run between floors too in no conceivable pattern. One of them covers 3 rooms upstairs and an outlet in the basement utility room. One garage circuit also does an outlet in the dining room. Just one, the rest are on a bedroom circuit.

My favorite, is the outlet that holds a steady 121v when the breaker is on. When I trip the breaker, it reads 20.1v. Completely steady. What the hell is back-feeding 20.1 v into that circuit? It isn't any device, I've unplugged them all. There is some sort of evil in the walls doing it.

Also, I had to fix most of the switched outlets as they had hot and neutral reversed.

Built on a Friday or a Monday. That's my place. I like it. It's a good house. It just has character.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Ashcans posted:

wolrah posted:

I can see maybe one or two total, switched, to power some sort of decorative lighting above the cabinets. A house I used to live in had that and it made sense. More than that though is getting crazy fast.

Lights, clock, television, fan

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Lights, clock, television, fan
Every 6 feet?

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Splicer posted:

Every 6 feet?

How long are the cords on those things 3'?

6' spacing means you can put those things where ever you want.

(I'm not really defending this, just trying to think like the person that did it)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

How long are the cords on those things 3'?

6' spacing means you can put those things where ever you want.

(I'm not really defending this, just trying to think like the person that did it)
You're spot on, that was his exact reasoning. But you can't trip over an extension cord that's 7 feet above the floor and on top of a cabinet

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Splicer posted:

You're spot on, that was his exact reasoning. But you can't trip over an extension cord that's 7 feet above the floor and on top of a cabinet

Extension cords are a potential electrical hazard at any height.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Ashcans posted:

You've clearly never met someone who goes all out with a lighted Christmas village every year.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The kitchen wasn't the only place he went hog wild with the outlets, just the most perplexing. There were excessive outlets in a few of the different pictures, weren't there?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ashcans posted:

If you have a workshop or some sort of media room then a ton of outlets make sense; even having a lot of them in a kitchen isn't a bad idea, especially if you are the kind of person that loves to have lots of devices and want to be able to run your toaster and wafflemaker at the same time, while you use your juicero and start up your blender for a smoothie.

Kitchens are specifically more often anyway,no more than 48” between outlets and one for each countertop over 12” in width.

I agree that I wouldn’t put them over the cabinets, as I’ve never needed it. Doing it yourself is so radically cheaper than paying a sparky though and the cost isn’t terrible. I would consider some lighting for ambiance but.... honestly I don’t like my cabs now that have a space anyway, next time I’m framing a soffit.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

hailthefish posted:

The kitchen wasn't the only place he went hog wild with the outlets, just the most perplexing. There were excessive outlets in a few of the different pictures, weren't there?

More Christmas light outlets?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I imagine walking on the 2nd story floor is like a big trampoline.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm lucky to have a single outlet in each room, more is better.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Nice stairs though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

mostlygray posted:

My favorite, is the outlet that holds a steady 121v when the breaker is on. When I trip the breaker, it reads 20.1v. Completely steady. What the hell is back-feeding 20.1 v into that circuit? It isn't any device, I've unplugged them all. There is some sort of evil in the walls doing it.

Doorbell voltage? Doorbells are typically 8 to 24v, and there may be a step-down transformer somewhere on a normal line to convert to the 20.1 you're seeing.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/voltage-doorbells-work-on-68731.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Nice stairs though.

Yeah, they're real warm in the winter.