Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He's less full of poo poo than the vast majority of the Trump administration, and he looks like Persian Santa.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

It was until the government blocked those sales. :mad:

Edit: I'll usually join in when Boeing is actively trying to gently caress the .mil with a contract, or when they get busted doing shady poo poo. But this move is just a straight up loss for the US, and a bunch of average/little people are going to end up feeling it long before the execs. 100+ aircraft orders is a big loving deal.

Exactly. This is going to cost people jobs. The rich fucks at the top might see their stock price go down a bit, but they'll be fine. This is really only going to affect the people low on the totem pole.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

And so begin the consequences of Trump's withdrawal.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/09/eu-moves-to-protect-european-firms-from-us-sanctions-on-iran

quote:

EU moves to protect European firms from US sanctions on Iran

Foreign ministers mull next steps, threatening to put Europe on economic collision course with US

EU foreign ministers will meet their Iranian counterpart, Javad Zarif, next week. Photograph: Julien Warnand/EPA
The European Union has moved to protect the 2015 Iran nuclear agreement by vowing to take steps to immunise European firms doing business with Tehran from any US sanctions.

France also said on Wednesday it would do everything possible to protect European businesses, a day after Donald Trump announced the US would exit the Iran deal agreed with other major powers in 2015, and impose the highest level of economic sanctions against Iran.

EU foreign ministers will meet their Iranian counterpart, Mohammad Javad Zarif, next week to offer personal reassurances they will take practical steps to protect the deal from sweeping US Treasury sanctions due to come into force over the next 180 days.

“The international reach of US sanctions makes the US the economic policeman of the planet, and that is not acceptable,” the French finance minister, Bruno Le Maire, told France Culture radio on Wednesday.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yesterday I posted asking how and if countries could say gently caress our sanctions. Is that saying that Europe is leading the charge?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Starting the break down of America's economic hegemony, to own the libs

Shameful no dog this page

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Exactly. This is going to cost people jobs. The rich fucks at the top might see their stock price go down a bit, but they'll be fine. This is really only going to affect the people low on the totem pole.

Yep. An order that big (I think it was what, something like 30 737s?) will absolutely result in assembly lines being shut down and people being laid off. Not exactly a good thing for those of you thirsting to eat the rich.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

boop the snoot posted:

Yesterday I posted asking how and if countries could say gently caress our sanctions. Is that saying that Europe is leading the charge?

Yes.

Our sanctions are effective only as long as the dollar is the primary currency in use. Currently it is due to stability and the rule of law in the US. When we start to break treaties, act unilaterally and capriciously then that breaks down.

Also, the new German ambassador pissed off Germany hours into his first day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/world/wp/2018/05/09/hours-into-his-new-job-trumps-ambassador-to-germany-offends-his-hosts/

Oct
Jul 19, 2007

Bored As gently caress posted:

Looking at Wikipedia, they have a backlog of nearly 4500 aircraft on order for the Max line alone. I'm not sure they're in such a precarious position that losing less than 3% of the total orders will cost jobs for the workers on the 737 lines. The rich fuckers will see some disruption in stock prices or whatever, but they're still selling a fuckton of these things, and the lines are going to be running for years to fulfill those orders.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Well, that's pretty terrifying and terrible news. If I didn't loathe Trump already, the fact that France is now saying this is terrifying.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Can / will Euro countries or others start imposing visa requirements on US travelers just to visit?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

Yep. An order that big (I think it was what, something like 30 737s?) will absolutely result in assembly lines being shut down and people being laid off. Not exactly a good thing for those of you thirsting to eat the rich.

Well they could pay their management and executives less and keep everyone working if they really cared

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mods change my name posted:

Like, I get how this sucks for the employees and possibly potential employees, but, you can't deny that a majority of these people probably voted for this poo poo

edit: and if you're concerned about the ~market~ and poo poo like that then you're part of the problem hth

I know for a fact that none of the people I know who will be impacted by this voted for him.

And yeah, since pensions are a thing of the past I do kind of want the market to do well. I'm already less than thrilled that my retirement plans had to completely restart in my mid 30s. It would be nice to not work until literally the day I die.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Well they could pay their management and executives less and keep everyone working if they really cared

Why on Earth would they do that? They don't care, and fallout like this doesn't touch them in any meaningful way.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 9, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sanction the Trumpspawn.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

I know for a fact that none of the people I know who will be impacted by this did not vote for him.

Wait I'm confused because you have a double negative here. Did you mean to say that nobody you know who will be impacted by it voted for him?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I literally just started my coffee, but yes that's what I meant. E:fixed :downs:

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Mr Crustacean posted:

And so begin the consequences of Trump's withdrawal.

Destroying the post WWII international order in which the US was the ultimate supreme power on Earth to own the libs.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Relax Ghole I was just trying to get your goat

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/994231836430815233

They are staying the course.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

That Works posted:

Can / will Euro countries or others start imposing visa requirements on US travelers just to visit?

They could.

But I don’t see why they would want to?

Tourism is so important to so many European cities and nations and there are more effective (but still limited overall given the US economic dominance) ways for the Europeans to counter.

I’m also biased because I’m going to be in Europe for two weeks for my Honeymoon in October and reeaallllyyy don’t want to deal with paying visa fees atm.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

boop the snoot posted:

There are certain crucial financial services that the US holds a ton of influence over even though they aren't directly regulated by the Treasury. For example SWIFT is in Belgium, and they're basically the information backbone of the international wire transfer system (wires are like text messages, SWIFT is essentially the sole carrier). He could have sanctions placed on SWIFT, which would effectively take US financial institutions out of the network because they're going to comply lest they lose their charters. This would not only mean, say, Citibank gets wrecked but also anyone they are an intermediary for, domestic or international. And that's a lot of the world. The US is a big player in global trade, sure, but it's sort of dwarfed by their role in global finance.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mods change my name posted:

Relax Ghole I was just trying to get your goat

I really should make sure I'm awake before wandering in here.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Godholio posted:

I really should make sure I'm awake before wandering in here.

To be fair about half of my ire toward Boeing went away when I realized they were not Lockheed Martin with the F35 :downs:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FAUXTON posted:

There are certain crucial financial services that the US holds a ton of influence over even though they aren't directly regulated by the Treasury. For example SWIFT is in Belgium, and they're basically the information backbone of the international wire transfer system (wires are like text messages, SWIFT is essentially the sole carrier). He could have sanctions placed on SWIFT, which would effectively take US financial institutions out of the network because they're going to comply lest they lose their charters. This would not only mean, say, Citibank gets wrecked but also anyone they are an intermediary for, domestic or international. And that's a lot of the world. The US is a big player in global trade, sure, but it's sort of dwarfed by their role in global finance.

But that example is a double edged sword. Most other countries would likely still use SWIFT, and right now the US has agreements with the EU on data sharing that include SWIFT, giving all sorts of (US) government agencies access to SWIFT's data. It would be much harder for the Treasury to detect tax evasion or money laundering for example, or for the CIA to follow the financial trails of organized crime or terrorist organizations. And it would likely be a huge financial disruption for pretty much everybody if US banks could no longer use SWIFT.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Torrannor posted:

But that example is a double edged sword. Most other countries would likely still use SWIFT, and right now the US has agreements with the EU on data sharing that include SWIFT, giving all sorts of (US) government agencies access to SWIFT's data. It would be much harder for the Treasury to detect tax evasion or money laundering for example, or for the CIA to follow the financial trails of organized crime or terrorist organizations. And it would likely be a huge financial disruption for pretty much everybody if US banks could no longer use SWIFT.

Oh it absolutely would be a cataclysmic change for the world's financial system and AML-CFT efforts but only sane presidents care about little things like that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Trump's going to do the same thing he did with the tariffs and exempt a bunch of allied countries, effectively doing nothing in the end but totally being able to say he tore down obummer's terrible deal!

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Aw poo poo Mohammed from the top rope!
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/08/us/politics/khalid-shaikh-mohammed-gina-haspel.html

NYT posted:

Mr. Mohammed, the principal architect of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, was captured in March 2003 and tortured by the C.I.A. This week, he asked a military judge at Guantánamo Bay for permission to share six paragraphs of information about Ms. Haspel with the Senate Intelligence Committee.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Torrannor posted:

Along with this, the more the US throws it's weight around and uses its currency as a weapon, the more likely other countries will be to move to a new monetary unit. This will also effect US borrowing power, soft power...

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hey it's cool, the MAGA chuds get to celebrate owning the libs and Saudi Arabia is thrilled that were loving around with Iran. When those are the groups that support your actions, how can you be wrong?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
lmao the US is going to have a trade war with China while simultaneously fight a regulation war with Canada, Mexico and Europe.

BIGLY WINNING

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

lmao the US is going to have a trade war with China while simultaneously fight a regulation war with Canada, Mexico and Europe.

BIGLY WINNING

Unfortunately that's how a lot of MAGA and even just regular conservatives are seeing it.

"Fighting to put the world back in order (for the US)"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Novartis, the pharmaceutical company, has confirmed that they gave $1.2m to Essential Consultants, LLC for insight into how to best influence policy with the new administration. The contract was set up with $100k/month payments for 1 year. No one met with Cohen in person until month 3, at which point Novartis decided Cohen couldn't do anything for them. They continued to pay out the rest of the contract, however, despite claiming that Cohen could do nothing for them.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Novartis, the pharmaceutical company, has confirmed that they gave $1.2m to Essential Consultants, LLC for insight into how to best influence policy with the new administration. The contract was set up with $100k/month payments for 1 year. No one met with Cohen in person until month 3, at which point Novartis decided Cohen couldn't do anything for them. They continued to pay out the rest of the contract, however, despite claiming that Cohen could do nothing for them.

The only way they could terminate it was for cause and being completely useless isn't cause.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/994253471367991296

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nick Soapdish posted:

The only way they could terminate it was for cause and being completely useless isn't cause.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/994253471367991296

A contract for nothing is not a valid contract. The whole "oh we could only get out for cause" thing is an excuse to try to waive away the blatant bribe.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

A contract for nothing is not a valid contract. The whole "oh we could only get out for cause" thing is an excuse to try to waive away the blatant bribe.

Interesting, thanks law talkin' guy

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Former coworker of mine got laid off from Novartis (R&D) last year after his group got downsized. These payments would have covered the annual salary for him and almost his entire group. Guess how mad he is right now.

That Works fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 9, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Interesting, thanks law talkin' guy

I may not be entirely correct, and someone more experienced will probably come along and say something better on point, but if Cohen really was useless as they claim, the only reason they kept making payments was to keep this out of court and the public spotlight. I'm sure for a pharm giant $1.2 million to avoid saying you got hustled by the president's idiot lawyer is an easy write off. They absolutely did not keep paying because they were bound by some "for cause" clause.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

That Works posted:

Former coworker of mine got laid off from Novartis (R&D) last year after his group got downsized. These payments would have covered the annual salary for him. Guess how mad he is right now.

They could have kept your friend's poo poo going regardless of this as well but they might not make quite as much profit as they could by downsizing and trying to bribe the president.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I may not be entirely correct, and someone more experienced will probably come along and say something better on point, but if Cohen really was useless as they claim, the only reason they kept making payments was to keep this out of court and the public spotlight. I'm sure for a pharm giant $1.2 million to avoid saying you got hustled by the president's idiot lawyer is an easy write off. They absolutely did not keep paying because they were bound by some "for cause" clause.

IANAL but your understanding matches mine, due consideration is an essential element of a valid contract:

https://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=305

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

They could have kept your friend's poo poo going regardless of this as well but they might not make quite as much profit as they could by downsizing and trying to bribe the president.

Yeah. I mean it's different money coming from very different sectors of the company so there's no direct cause and effect here but that's gotta sting a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

That’s easily the worst acronym I’ve seen in a long time. And I was in the military for a long drat time.

• Locked thread