Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
And it's already sold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
So, I'm looking for a motorcycle under 3K that I can comfortably use as primary transportation. Also, I'm looking at a possible job move that will see me traveling all over the state on this thing, so long-distance usability is the main concern.
I'm in Tyler Tx. And need something that can handle a 300lb guy.

I'm still squirreling away cash to buy something, but a 1985 Honda Goldwing Limited has popped up on Craigslist nearby for $1,200.

The starter 'just stop working', but it will push start, and I'm pretty sure I can handle that with the help of a service manual and my neighbor who keeps turning piles of rust and scrap into vintage bikes/cars.

I'm thinking of taking a look at it this Sunday, and was wondering if y'all could point out anything specific to look out for on it, or if I should not even consider it at all?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Moto42 posted:

So, I'm looking for a motorcycle under 3K that I can comfortably use as primary transportation. Also, I'm looking at a possible job move that will see me traveling all over the state on this thing, so long-distance usability is the main concern.

I'm still squirreling away cash to buy something, but a 1985 Honda Goldwing Limited has popped up on Craigslist nearby for $1,200.

The starter 'just stop working', but it will push start, and I'm pretty sure I can handle that with the help of a service manual and my neighbor who keeps turning piles of rust and scrap into vintage bikes/cars.

I'm thinking of taking a look at it this Sunday, and was wondering if y'all could point out anything specific to look out for on it, or if I should not even consider it at all?

Do not buy an old bike if you need something reliable and don’t want to spend a bunch of time fixing it first.

Respring whatever bike yo get and you’ll be fine.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Doesn't hurt to go take a look at that goldwing and see what you're actually dealing with. Bring your mechanic neighbor with you. Those bikes run long and hard if taken care of.

But yes, old bikes will have loads of hidden issues. be careful

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I mean that could just be a dead battery right?

What do y’all think about the bmw 650 single? I know it looks dorky but seems like a decent commuter / all rounder

BMW F650CS
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/d/bmw-f650cs/6553887421.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have a similar one on my mountain bike. Because it doesn't come with speedometer and odometer. Why do you need one on a motorcycle?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Moto42 posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to be a Wizard with a beard at least 24" long before you can consider this.

An '85 goldwing is a hobby bike, not a primary mode of transportation.
Story time! I worked overnight to replace the alternator on an Aspencade that was on it's way from Maine to Florida. Presumably the guy made it there, but I'm sure it was an expensive trip, because he'd already stopped twice before he got down to VA for other repairs.

That's not to say that it's not a reliable bike if maintained. They're actually great. But LOL gently caress OFF if you think you're just going to be able to take it to any 'ol shop or dealership to have anything fixed. God help you if you think you want to fix that poo poo yourself because after spending 3 weeks taking it apart to replace the cracked water neck only to put it all back together and find out that it's leaking again, you're going to want to off yourself. But if you manage to get past that point then you've definitely got the patience to replace the fuel pump OH WAIT gently caress IT WAS ACTUALLY A FUSE bolt that was used instead of a fuse that's flopping around in the fuse holder. J/K lol... you find out a year later that a bad coil pack is why the FP wouldn't run, because it turns out this bitch has a relay that's driven off one of the ignition coils.

e: sorry I was having flashbacks and needed to get that poo poo off my chest.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

A MIRACLE posted:

What do y’all think about the bmw 650 single? I know it looks dorky but seems like a decent commuter / all rounder

BMW F650CS

Tons of information out there on them. Rotax motor goes forever. Some weird idiosyncrasies, but all well documented all over the internet. Not super exciting, but a very solid bike.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

BMW F650CS

My understanding is that BMW bikes are a lot less of “interesting German poo poo to go wrong” than their cars. Also, not dorky. But the previous owner probably was if he hooked up an independent speedometer, likely because stock speedo accuracy on bikes usually isn’t.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

builds character posted:

Do not buy an old bike if you need something reliable and don’t want to spend a bunch of time fixing it first.

Respring whatever bike yo get and you’ll be fine.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to be a Wizard with a beard at least 24" long before you can consider this.

An '85 goldwing is a hobby bike, not a primary mode of transportation
I figured as much, but I had to ask for fear of later finding out that it was a stupid-good deal.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

On the other hand, buy it anyway and post a thread about it for our enjoyment

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

e: sorry I was having flashbacks and needed to get that poo poo off my chest.

When did wings go from being good to bad to good again?

I've got a 76, and after deleting most of the electrical system (7v regulator wtf, lighting module wtf, points-based regulator WTF, ACTUAL WTF POINTS) and also the entire carb system twice (second delete in progress), and the shocks, steering, and tire choices being garbage, what's so bad about old bikes.

OH. oh.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

How old is 'old'?
Everything that seems to be in my price range in my area seems to start around 2005.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
There is nothing wrong with an older bike if it has been maintained.

If it has been sitting for a long time, or has mysteriously low mileage but looks dirty I'd look elsewhere unless you actually want a project and are handy.

Mileage is also a function of model and brand. Like a 90s honda actually made in japan with an unstressed mature power plant can go on forever if maintained.

Around 2005 more and more models got abs as an option, injection, modern forks and digital displays. I'd research what existed of models in your chosen type of bike around your year/price point.

If you find models that look interesting start looking into maintenance intervals and known faults. You can dodge bombs there.

Then you plop in an auto alert in your preferred online bike trading platform for the models you are interested in, so you can call asap when one is listed at a price that looks good.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I also enjoy bikes that got a long run of model years without many changes to the model. For example, my first gen KLR and first gen Ninja 250 were both made virtually unchanged for roughly 20 years. Makes it super easy to get parts and find knowledge online.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

When did wings go from being good to bad to good again?

I've got a 76, and after deleting most of the electrical system (7v regulator wtf, lighting module wtf, points-based regulator WTF, ACTUAL WTF POINTS) and also the entire carb system twice (second delete in progress), and the shocks, steering, and tire choices being garbage, what's so bad about old bikes.

OH. oh.

The points are the least worst thing in that list and still carry a set of spares on the plate for when my Dyna decides to poo poo the bed.

Those carbs though. Jesus loving christ those carbs. I've still got problems with my 75 for no goddamn good reason. I've been over them (yes the manifolds too) probably half a dozen times and it's always something.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

The Carbs of Theseus: After you have replaced every part of the fuel system, is it still, technically, the same problem?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Moto42 posted:

The Carbs of Theseus: After you have replaced every part of the fuel system, is it still, technically, the same problem?

Greybeard Wizard logic dictates that it's an electrical problem.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

call to action posted:

Oh yeah, I think I'm seeing those.

This one looks very clean, a 2007 DRZSM with a decent amount of upgrades for $3,750 - https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/d/suzuki-drz-400/6528693871.html

I'll see if you're in the Slack chat after lunch!

I know this is a month old quote, but getting caught up with this thread. Also, relevant to my interests and experiences in trying to budget for a "big" motorcycle.

Owner is asking for about $6,000 USD for that DRZ

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

I think I've found something that must be too good to be true...

https://easttexas.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2003-harley-heritage-dyna/6581064421.html

TLDR: An 2003 softail Harley with 3k miles,and a pile of extras for $1,500.

I'm not a big fan of Harley Davidsons, but that price... Am I missing something here? Are these just, like, super expensive to own or something?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Call him and ask.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

I got voicemail.
Left message and a text. Will let y'all know what happens.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Moto42 posted:

I got voicemail.

"Oh the $1500 is what I spent in upgrades. I know what I've got and it's worth at least $15000"

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Dog Case posted:

"Oh the $1500 is what I spent in upgrades. I know what I've got and it's worth at least $15000"

EDIT: Or "I'm away on mission in Africa, but if you wire me the money I will mail you the keys"

Real edit: Whoops, I'm bad at clicking buttons

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

YEa, I'm betting on the latter.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
That ad is up in NYC too. Sorry.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

Has rare single year production purple and silver paint. Manufactured in 2003 with the anniversary color scheme of silver and black.

:thunk:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Moto42 posted:

I got voicemail.

Enjoy your pending spam calls.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Got a text back;

"Please allow your email if you are interested in 2003 Harley Heritage Dyna Fast Amazing - $1.500.00"

So, yea, obvious scam, but I had to at least look.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anytime it's too good to be true but you're not ready to let go, reverse gis the ad photo. Almost guaranteed it shows up on another listing on the other side of the country.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1980-yamaha-gsr-50/6585636747.html

The YSR50 is neat, but there's an RZ350 in there!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I keep seeing these make the rounds with the dealers, and there's also a guy in my neighborhood who commutes on one of these. Looks like a sweet bike, and the money isn't bad for a 450+cc bike. If I wasn't planning a trip stateside next year, this would almost be a sure buy, I think.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Dagen H posted:

there's an RZ350 in there!

Aaaand it's gone. $4K.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/d/honda-hawk-gt-nt650/6587357570.html

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You should definitely consider that. They are a real riot.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Aside from the single sided swing arm what do they offer over a 1g SV? They’re cool bikes and I know they have quite the following, I’m mostly just curious.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Lighter and smaller than an SV, so probably more fun. If you get an SV, get a fuel injected one.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just have to recall from my old SV to compare, but it seems like the hawk holds it's weight better/isn't as top heavy. Gas tank is much smaller than the 2nd gen SV. Also, it's not nearly as high reving, topping out at like 8k, but I feel that it provides the power nicely across the range. I think the hawk sounds better than the SV, and is a much higher end experience. I've never had a bike with such good switchgear, gearbox, and general quality of operation and experience.

Replacement parts might be cheaper or easier to find for the SV, if/when you dump it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Hawk GT is the thinking man's SV650.

It's slower and more old-fashioned, with fewer options for tires and less powerful brakes, but it's prettier and sounds better and is lighter and narrower and has that awesome single-sided swingarm.

Also it's a Honda and it has a lightly loaded dirt bike engine so it'll last a million miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

This one is pretty
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/d/82-honda-cx500tc-turbo-fuel/6588258985.html