Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

e: Why the hell can't I find an official list of banks that nYNAB supports for auto-importing?

Probably easiest just to try the free trial and see if your banks are there. The auto importing is pretty poo poo based on my experience over the last week but they've been having some problems on their end they've admitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah that's probably what I'll end up doing, but it's kinda of loving dumb they don't have a list.

My wife and I have a billion accounts for different purposes across different banks. This is going to be a mess.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

Yeah that's probably what I'll end up doing, but it's kinda of loving dumb they don't have a list.

My wife and I have a billion accounts for different purposes across different banks. This is going to be a mess.

You can transfer over the YNAB4 to nYNAB.

Don't use the direct import, it has major issues for everyone and pretty much more work than just inputting transactions yourself.

Also, software not from YNAB but are YNAB4 set up but in a cloud base are coming out soon. You might want to wait it out.

I use nYNAB, but drat, everything is cloud base now and it scares me that there are no offline options. Microsoft word is going cloud based. WTF. When I was in school, I often didn't have internet, that would have ruined me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there any way to merge 2 YNAB4 budgets into a single nYNAB one? I am guessing no.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh my god, migrating my budget is a loving nightmare. Stuff like my emergency fund category that I had money in for like 4 years, now magically shows $0.

Maybe I'm just not getting now nYNAB works, but It's like it doesn't carry a balance over to the next month or anything?
And what the gently caress on credit cards? I pay my balance off every month but it created a new category under "Credit Card Payments," with some random amount of money in it, that doesn't seem correlated with the actual balance on my CC.

Trying to figure this out, it seems that it automatically moves budget money from my Groceries category over to the CC under "CC Payments" section if I buy groceries with a CC. Man I'm so confused.

I'm half-tempted to just blow it up and start fresh, but I like having the history, especially net worth.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Budget categories carry positive amounts over, negative amounts are zeroed with what's available to budget. There's no red arrow. There's no more This Month/Next Month, all money is in a category called To Be Budgeted and can be assigned nilly-willy.

Their credit card stuff is useless if you pay it off every month in full, you need to recreate it as regular account (and then move over any transactions it imported in the credit card account).

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Oh my god, migrating my budget is a loving nightmare. Stuff like my emergency fund category that I had money in for like 4 years, now magically shows $0.

Maybe I'm just not getting now nYNAB works, but It's like it doesn't carry a balance over to the next month or anything?
And what the gently caress on credit cards? I pay my balance off every month but it created a new category under "Credit Card Payments," with some random amount of money in it, that doesn't seem correlated with the actual balance on my CC.

Trying to figure this out, it seems that it automatically moves budget money from my Groceries category over to the CC under "CC Payments" section if I buy groceries with a CC. Man I'm so confused.

I'm half-tempted to just blow it up and start fresh, but I like having the history, especially net worth.

Not sure about migrations. But when you pay using your credit card, the money you used, which was budgeted for, say, groceries, is moved to your CC category. So that money is now budgeted to pay for the CC. Some people don't like it, but I find it works fine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Budget categories carry positive amounts over, negative amounts are zeroed with what's available to budget. There's no red arrow. There's no more This Month/Next Month, all money is in a category called To Be Budgeted and can be assigned nilly-willy.

Ok, this makes sense.

rgocs posted:

Not sure about migrations. But when you pay using your credit card, the money you used, which was budgeted for, say, groceries, is moved to your CC category. So that money is now budgeted to pay for the CC. Some people don't like it, but I find it works fine.

This is really dumb and confusing. It was super easy and clear how they did it in 4. :sigh:

So does my CC balance, which is listed on the left-hand side, is that supposed to match the number in Available/Payment column under budget?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Their credit card stuff is useless if you pay it off every month in full, you need to recreate it as regular account (and then move over any transactions it imported in the credit card account).

This isn't true, as poster above explains. It's not exactly intuitive, but all it's doing is budget for the cc payment at the end of the month. So in that sense it actually works better if you pay it off every month, as that way you'll have a zeroed out budget. Otherwise I think it's designed so that it will carry a balance and provide a visual indication to allocate any extra category money over to the debt every month? Not sure, honestly.

Oh also RE: the question about the E-fund category, that money should have gotten lumped into the "to be budgeted" fund when you added the account, so all you need to do is recreate the category and allocate the appropriate funds to it, then just carry it month over month.

E: ^ I've had similar issues and I think it's somehow related to the dates that your payments post.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
When I make transactions in my "credit card" account, it drags it into negative (i.e. debt), therefore adjusts net worth, and also substracts from the assigned categories, removing assigned money (practically reserving it for clearing the credit card). I don't see what the special credit card account type does for me apart from making things more complicated, by shifting crap between categories.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Note that things get even hairier with the credit card handling in nYNAB if you need to log a refund or record cash back or something. There's two ways of handling it, you either assign the incoming money to the original category it came out of, or you assign it as straight up income and then take it out of the credit card account on the budget screen.

Forgetting to do this properly means your credit card account failing to match properly with what the card company has on file, and also means that if you rely on the YNAB totals to determine what you should be paying, you'll be somewhat off. I forgot to deal with this poo poo and got bitten with annoying inconsistencies enough that I just decided to turn my CC accounts into checking accounts and have done with it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

Oh also RE: the question about the E-fund category, that money should have gotten lumped into the "to be budgeted" fund when you added the account, so all you need to do is recreate the category and allocate the appropriate funds to it, then just carry it month over month.

E: ^ I've had similar issues and I think it's somehow related to the dates that your payments post.

Yeah, it stuck it in "To Be Budgeted," but I honestly have no clue why. I ended just sticking it back into the category, but am puzzled why it decided to move it out. Same thing happened to a few of my other categories as well.

babydonthurtme posted:

Note that things get even hairier with the credit card handling in nYNAB if you need to log a refund or record cash back or something. There's two ways of handling it, you either assign the incoming money to the original category it came out of, or you assign it as straight up income and then take it out of the credit card account on the budget screen.

Forgetting to do this properly means your credit card account failing to match properly with what the card company has on file, and also means that if you rely on the YNAB totals to determine what you should be paying, you'll be somewhat off. I forgot to deal with this poo poo and got bitten with annoying inconsistencies enough that I just decided to turn my CC accounts into checking accounts and have done with it.

I always treat cash back as income. I only ever choose to do statement credit, which has always seemed to work just fine for me under YNAB4.

I'm debating turning it into a checking account, but I assume that would essentially nuke all my previous transactions with no way of easily exporting then re-importing them?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

When I make transactions in my "credit card" account, it drags it into negative (i.e. debt), therefore adjusts net worth, and also substracts from the assigned categories, removing assigned money (practically reserving it for clearing the credit card).

In reality paying for something with a credit card does in fact adjust your net worth though? Even if you pay it in full at the end of the month and it doesn't accrue any interest, it's still going in the debt column of your balance sheet.

I agree that the way nYNAB does credit cards is convoluted and for most people who are already good at paying off their credit cards in full every month it probably doesn't do anything but cause confusion. But in general it's a nice feature because it automatically earmarks the money you'll need for the payment out of your "To Be Budgeted" amount and prevents you from budgeting it on something else, thus preventing you from overspending your income without noticing.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

babydonthurtme posted:

If you paid with a credit card and got a refund in cash, yes. But if your refund was to the credit card, it's just one transaction to take care of it all: $, type: income, category: whichever, account: credit card.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

I'm debating turning it into a checking account, but I assume that would essentially nuke all my previous transactions with no way of easily exporting then re-importing them?

I'm pretty sure you can switch it to a checking account without losing any past transactions. What might be hosed up is your previous budgets, because you'll probably have some old transactions that don't quite slot in okay. I had only about a year or so in transactions, and it didn't take me long to figure out old discrepancies and adjust my older budgets to account for them.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

You guys are way overthinking the credit thing. Just imagine envelopes of cash. If you put $100 in a Groceries envelope, but you pay with a credit card, you need to move that money to a Credit Card envelope (along with any other CC purchase) so that you have the whole months balance just sitting there at the end of the month. The amount should equal your card payment if you don't carry a balance over. If its more because of a refund, take it out of the CC envelope and move it somewhere else. If its less, you are going to carry your CC debt over another month.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
As far as using a credit card goes, does everyone have some random amount each month in the Activity Column for their credit card? Is this just the difference of what I paid last month vs what I've spent this month?

I pay off in full every month, but that's on the 10th.

I've done the math and I am at $0 when I subtract everything in the payment row from my bank account, so it's not missing money so I've never really worried about it but it does seem kind of odd.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I.... think it’s like any other category where it’s basically activity = positive balance adjustments (payments, cash back statement credit, refunds) - any charges made that month

Maybe?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

FateFree posted:

You guys are way overthinking the credit thing. Just imagine envelopes of cash. If you put $100 in a Groceries envelope, but you pay with a credit card, you need to move that money to a Credit Card envelope (along with any other CC purchase) so that you have the whole months balance just sitting there at the end of the month. The amount should equal your card payment if you don't carry a balance over. If its more because of a refund, take it out of the CC envelope and move it somewhere else. If its less, you are going to carry your CC debt over another month.

Thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one that's never had any issue with the way YNAB handles credit cards...It's dead simple in my experience and I'm not sure why so many people have so much trouble wrapping their head around it.

I mean, clearly the implementation isn't perfect since it's evidently unintuitive for a significant portion of users, but I've never had any trouble understanding it :/

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Returns are what screw up nYNAB credit cards for me. I just created a dummy checking account and I process all the returns in through it, then treat them as a payment from the dummy checking account.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You can't just create an inflow for the return amount, like you could in YNAB4?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I just manually enter the return and categorize it, then it links it automatically when the credit posts.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Yes I don't think returns are confusing as long as you put the same Category as the original transaction. But if you choose Inflow To Be Budgeted (like you would with a cash back reward), instead of putting that money in the Inflow category up top, it sits in the CC envelope and forces you to move it out manually. I think a little notification that you have more money than your CC balance would help clear things up.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

You can't just create an inflow for the return amount, like you could in YNAB4?

Yeah, I always just do an inflow straight back in to the category of the return. It's better not to over-account sometimes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok I think i figured out this asinine CC thing. I purposely didn't spend any money the past few days to let all my pending transactions clear. Basically, I want my CC balance (say, -$100), to match the Available (+$100) column for my CC "debt" line, correct?

Basically, it shows how much money I'll need available for my payment when it comes around?

I think one thing that was loving me up was on the date of my last payment, I had like 3 transactions. So when i clicked on the CC budget line, it said "if you pay $100, you'll reduce your debt by $65!" That was confusing the hell out of me, then I realized I had $35 in transactions on the same day of my last CC payment that it wasn't taking into account.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Yes that's correct - I reconcile my accounts every Friday and thats one of the steps I take, just looking to make sure those two numbers match. If you use auto-import, there isn't really any reason why those two numbers won't match, unless you get a cash back reward that you might need to pull out on occasion.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Awesome, thanks!

Now is there any way to get a running balance to display in the web version? I feel like that's an insane omission.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Awesome, thanks!

Now is there any way to get a running balance to display in the web version? I feel like that's an insane omission.

I believe the YNAB toolkit extension has this functionality

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I also like how credit cards work in nYNAB. I have used YNAB (and now nYNAB) since I got out of college 10 years ago so I'm pretty entrenched in the whole thing. I've started to think about moving away to something that can more easily track value of investments and our house and stuff but ughhh financial anxiety. I'm locked in (for now) at $45 a year but if mine goes up I'll probably try something else?? I have no complaints about nYNAB really...I can update it at work which is really nice. I think I'd want to stay web based if I do move to a different product.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy poo poo this makes it so much better. Is this an official extension or just something some random dude threw together? Because it's hard to imagine that nYNAB doesn't ship with most of these QOL options already.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Welcome to why everyone was going :wtf: when nYNAB launched for a higher yearly cost than most people paid for YNAB4.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

I am sadly on the $85 USD. My trail ends early next month. Thankfully I have an old YNAB4 to help me get a 10% discount, however, it is soooo costly for CND and it sucks because I only make $200ish a month. I scrapped the money together for the year submission, but I am frustrated that they raised the prices.

Otherwise, the APP is pretty good, and the web app with the ToolKit is pretty cool!
I have very much adapted it to my own since YNAB, in theory, isn't poverty friendly, more of a "decent income people who can't handle their cash properly" which is also something the company really targets.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I would think you could do this in a Google Sheet if you're only making $200/mo. You're spending almost 4% of your yearly income on C-grade budgeting software.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
If you have YNAB4, just use it. YNAB will still work for you if you're broke, the concept is just don't budget what you don't have.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

I would think you could do this in a Google Sheet if you're only making $200/mo. You're spending almost 4% of your yearly income on C-grade budgeting software.

I make 800 a month, my bad. I meant 200 a week. This is what I get when I choose to rant when hungry. xD

Zamujasa posted:

If you have YNAB4, just use it. YNAB will still work for you if you're broke, the concept is just don't budget what you don't have.

It really is starting to fall apart, to be honest. Especially with my phone. I like the app, and I like nYNAB, but there are some business practices I don't agree with. Overall, I love YNAB.

I also want to add that, YNAB is good for all incomes, but I find a lot of the workshops/target is medium to high-income people who can't handle their money properly. So the good ol "Hey YNABERS STOP BUYING TAKE OUT" advice is a little frustrating.

YNAB should be taught and encouraged to be used for people with low income. It can work for super low incomes. If I owned that business, I would even sell/donate bulk subscriptions to community centres, charities, and schools for a discount.

Sure, some of the advice in the classes just didn't work for me, as I don't have excess income, but I took some of the advice and made it work for my situation.

DrNewton fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 10, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Alright, so why do I have notifications on my phone about needing to categorize/approve imported transactions, but when I open up the web view on a computer, there's nothing to approve?

:argh:

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

DrNewton posted:

I make 800 a month, my bad. I meant 200 a week. This is what I get when I choose to rant when hungry. xD

It really is starting to fall apart, to be honest. Especially with my phone. I like the app, and I like nYNAB, but there are some business practices I don't agree with. Overall, I love YNAB.

I also want to add that, YNAB is good for all incomes, but I find a lot of the workshops/target is medium to high-income people who can't handle their money properly. So the good ol "Hey YNABERS STOP BUYING TAKE OUT" advice is a little frustrating.

YNAB should be taught and encouraged to be used for people with low income. It can work for super low incomes. If I owned that business, I would even sell/donate bulk subscriptions to community centres, charities, and schools for a discount.

Sure, some of the advice in the classes just didn't work for me, as I don't have excess income, but I took some of the advice and made it work for my situation.

I agree with this. YNAB feels targeted much more to people who are already doing okay to great. I took the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace class and thought some of the advice was a lot more practical and approachable. I do like the YNAB tools a lot more than Every Dollar, though.

I think YNAB donating subscriptions/classes to community groups is an awesome idea. I wonder if anyone has ever approached them with that idea?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

listrada posted:

I agree with this. YNAB feels targeted much more to people who are already doing okay to great. I took the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace class and thought some of the advice was a lot more practical and approachable. I do like the YNAB tools a lot more than Every Dollar, though.

I mean, YNAB doesn't really teach you the nuts and bolts of living frugally, just how to track and budget your money.

My daughter's going away to college in the fall, and I'm teaching her how to budget in the YNAB style, *and* teaching her things like the correct way to grocery shop.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Alright, so why do I have notifications on my phone about needing to categorize/approve imported transactions, but when I open up the web view on a computer, there's nothing to approve?

:argh:

You might need to refresh the app. Just drag down and it should refresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, YNAB doesn't really teach you the nuts and bolts of living frugally, just how to track and budget your money.

My daughter's going away to college in the fall, and I'm teaching her how to budget in the YNAB style, *and* teaching her things like the correct way to grocery shop.

I still don’t know the correct way to grocery shop and it drives my wife crazy.