Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I just beat a U/W tokens deck in Arena by using Nicol Bolas's +2 to steal his single copy of Approach of the Second Sun off the top of his deck. He drew it and then cast it once, and by then he was down to 5 cards in his deck. I steal another card, pass the turn back to him, he draws down to 3 cards in his deck and can't use his Champion of Wits to draw it again without losing, so he uses Opt to put it on top, I steal it with Nicol Bolas again and win the game. Other highlights include stealing his River's Rebuke to nuke like 50 tokens and get back a Scarab God. 5 color ramp is a fun deck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Replicator + outcome seems pretty good on it's own. Maybe not good-good but loads of fun.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

Replicator + outcome seems pretty good on it's own. Maybe not good-good but loads of fun.

Outcome does not work with tokens.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Just return all the random crap you cast to make those tokens.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Owlbear Camus posted:

Thought it would be a good cheap deck to cash in a bunch of the dumb C/UC wildcards I had floating around. If I cared enough to redeem rares for it I might go for a couple of the Turn to Frog sky pirate dudes. Might be a bit too heavy on removal, season to taste.

4 Favorable Winds (XLN) 56
9 Island (RIX) 193
2 Curious Obsession (RIX) 35
4 Chart a Course (XLN) 48
1 Lookout's Dispersal (XLN) 62
4 Siren Lookout (XLN) 78
4 Storm Fleet Aerialist (XLN) 83
4 Siren Stormtamer (XLN) 79
4 Blight Keeper (XLN) 92
7 Swamp (RIX) 194
4 Kitesail Freebooter (XLN) 110
3 Vraska's Contempt (XLN) 129
2 Cast Down (DAR) 81
3 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
3 Fetid Pools (AKH) 243
2 Field of Ruin (XLN) 254

Edit:
Bonus arena workaround I just learned:

If you use the "import deck" feature and manually change the set and number for lands, you can change your land art. So if you want to switch it up with some full art you could substitute the above for:

7 Swamp (HOU) 187
9 Island (HOU) 186

Very interesting. I'll have to poke around with Arena more to get more wildcards but this looks fun.

Jabor posted:

Fastlands are one of the types of duals that do see regular play in Modern. Even if they dip a bit after rotation, they're likely to creep back up over time.

Angry Grimace posted:

I don’t see them dipping at all. I think they go up a reasonable amount.

Fair point. Probably a good idea to get them now while they're still reasonably priced and get some value out of them later (or if I ever decide I want to dive back into the toxicity cesspool of my local Modern crowd).

Siivola posted:

Mismatched mana got you down? Would you prefer slamming 1-drops forever instead of having to bother curving out? Do you want to draw some number of cards while beating face?

My patented Monoblue Flying Memes might be the answer! (Flying not guaranteed. Terms and conditions apply.)

I like. Would probably definitely slam in Throne of the God Pharaoh into the maindeck to synergize with all the mans you're putting down and swinging in with, as well as give you some more scry from the Artificer's Assistant too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s not meant to change how Affinity plays, it’s meant for shoring up a couple of rougher matchups against removal heavy decks.

I kinda do like Karn in Affinity but I wouldn't have it in the MB where you pretty much are the best G1 Deck in the format and need to be as streamlined as possible.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

mcmagic posted:

I kinda do like Karn in Affinity but I wouldn't have it in the MB where you pretty much are the best G1 Deck in the format and need to be as streamlined as possible.

I currently have 2 MB but have adjusted the 0 drops to ensure I accelerate more often (extra memnite and an extra jar. I am coming to the same conclusion as you though I think.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I impulse bought one of those 10 pack bundles, and had the most insane luck I’ve ever seen

Check this out

4 mythics in 10 packs, including Karn and Teferi.
And a nice bonus rare, with foil Steel Leaf Champion!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Buffis posted:

I impulse bought one of those 10 pack bundles, and had the most insane luck I’ve ever seen

Check this out

J A Y A

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Matsuri posted:

Very interesting. I'll have to poke around with Arena more to get more wildcards but this looks fun.

Once Kaladesh is out it will want Hope of Ghalispur and Aether Harvester.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Buffis posted:

Check this out

Jesus.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Buffis posted:

Check this out

This was more value than I opened up in a box and like 40 prize packs lol.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Buffis posted:

Check this out

Sell it, BUY MORE PACKS AND LET IT RIDEEEEEEE

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Pulled a Karn in the display box I got at the prerelease too, so I guess I’m good at opening dominaria.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So how long can Karn hold 50 bucks for?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

mcmagic posted:

People are saying he'll drop since the set is so new and people don't have him yet, but I disagree. He's played in almost every single standard deck, and is already starting to pop up in Affinity. ( :laffo: ) He may not sustain at $50 on average, but I'll be surprised if he ever drops below $40.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

InterrupterJones posted:

People are saying he'll drop since the set is so new and people don't have him yet, but I disagree. He's played in almost every single standard deck, and is already starting to pop up in Affinity. ( :laffo: ) He may not sustain at $50 on average, but I'll be surprised if he ever drops below $40.

Its gonna own when Karn is a $100 card

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This is large, non core set, it's going to be opened SOOOOO much. It's hard to believe that it can sustain 50 bucks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AnEdgelord posted:

Its gonna own when Karn is a $100 card

Karn is the most human character that the story team has written.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Until it gets banned

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Karn is the most human character that the story team has written.

You aren't wrong.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

Until it gets banned

TSG making it to rotation is pretty much proof positive they're not going to ban a dumb pushed ~story~ mythic.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Owlbear Camus posted:

TSG making it to rotation is pretty much proof positive they're not going to ban a dumb pushed ~story~ mythic.

They banned Emrakul.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

They banned Emrakul.

Point taken; I'm dumb as Hell.

In spite of being quite good and "splashable" in nearly everything; I still feel like Tefari is gonna be the more oppressive PW overall in Standard.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
Karn is good because PW's are good and there isn't a lot of PW removal and card advantage is everything in standard right now, but it does not have a bannable power level. Teferi is a more powerful card, even though Karn is playable in any deck.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Some Numbers posted:

They banned Emrakul.

emrakul was a feel-bad game winner with mana reduction

karn is card advanage

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Soul Glo posted:

karn is card advanage

So was smuggler's copter

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

So was smuggler's copter

...which was also a two drop that attacked with evasion

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Soul Glo posted:

...which was also a two drop that attacked with evasion

and Karn is a difficult to remove planeswalker that can generate large amounts of board advantage when you need it more than card advantage

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
smuggler's copter is not card advantage

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

AnEdgelord posted:

and Karn is a difficult to remove planeswalker that can generate large amounts of board advantage when you need it more than card advantage

karn's a super powerful card that every deck can play and will play until people realize that not every deck NEEDS to play it, but it's still going to be the card that gets most decks that play it to their win condition while not being the win condition itself (even copter could close games, especially in multiples)

i think it's really well designed, and it's going to be expensive, but it's not going to be the format warping card that typically get banned (random bad bannings of reflector mage and ferocidon aside)

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Owlbear Camus posted:

TSG only plays in certain decks so it's not ban worthy. Karn being colorless and fitting into every single archetype is a huge factor ala Smugglers Copter as others have said

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Soul Glo posted:

karn's a super powerful card that every deck can play and will play until people realize that not every deck NEEDS to play it, but it's still going to be the card that gets most decks that play it to their win condition while not being the win condition itself (even copter could close games, especially in multiples)

i think it's really well designed, and it's going to be expensive, but it's not going to be the format warping card that typically get banned (random bad bannings of reflector mage and ferocidon aside)

Karn can absolutely win games off of his -2.

I'm of the opposite opinion as far as the card being well designed, it is probably the biggest mistake since Felidar Guardian and I look forward to the 28-32 copies in the top 8 of the protour.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Casting cost aside, Karn seems more like a Siege Rhino type card that is powerful enough to be ubiquitous and annoying throughout its life in Standard, but not strong enough to warrant a full ban.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Tibalt posted:

Ugh. I can't get Mishra's Self Replicator to work in Standard, even as a meme deck.

If it was a 4 drop, I feel like you could make it work...

Tainen posted:

I think the way I would do the Self Replicator in standard is to use the Reservoir shell but replace the Reservoirs with Replicators. Replace the Paradoxical Outcomes with Antiquities Wars

So it would be some combo of
Foundry Inspector
Prophetic Prism
Servo Schematic
Puzzleknot
Colossus
Antiquities War
Replicator
Jhoria's Familiar
Tezz
Battle at The Bridge
Immortal Sun

It wouldn't be good... but it would be fun. I already put Antiquities War in my Reservoir Deck and have swung for 40 on turn 6.

I know this isn't self replicator at all but hell if generating a bazillion copies of something isn't what we're talking about here:

Deck: Powerstone Combo

//Lands
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Fetid Pools
1 Inventors' Fair
6 Island
4 Spire of Industry
2 Swamp

//Spells
1 Battle at the Bridge
4 Fatal Push
4 Metallic Rebuke
2 Mirage Mirror
1 Paradox Engine
4 Powerstone Shard
4 Renegade Map
2 Tezzeret the Schemer
2 The Antiquities War
1 The Immortal Sun
2 Treasure Map
4 Whir of Invention

//Creatures
2 Cogwork Assembler
4 Glint-Nest Crane
2 Herald of Anguish

//Sideboard
1 Battle at the Bridge
2 Bontu's Last Reckoning
2 Consign // Oblivion
2 Contraband Kingpin
1 Moment of Craving
4 Negate
2 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Walking Ballista

Display deck statistics

You basically need Cogwork Assembler and 3 Powerstone (including copies) plus some land on the table, and Whir of Invention to get them there. But the fun part is just going crazy with The Antiquities War, or ramping into a Herald of Anguish, can win the game regardless.

Mechanized Production is probably something I want now that I think about it.

As for Mishra's Self Replicator, I would personally try a Teshar-Ballista-Ballista loop with Whir to tutor? Scrap Trawler might have a place too.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 9, 2018

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
A recent episode of the Leaving a Legacy podcast interviewed Adam Barnello, and he dropped the info that the deck we now know as Oops All Spells was developed on a forum he's a member of, as a joke, under a different name. I'm 100% sure he meant this forum and the original discussion about Breakfast Burrito.

Which of you is Barnello

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

This is large, non core set, it's going to be opened SOOOOO much. It's hard to believe that it can sustain 50 bucks.

None of these prices are sustainable. It’s because there’s a lot of interest in Standard but there wasn’t a month ago. As much as I can tell pack EV is higher than MSRP with several $50 cards. A lot of my local stores are having inventory problems with the set too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Jace shows up in the story for approximately 5 minutes and then leaves for Ravnica. Nobody comments on his muscles.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

None of these prices are sustainable. It’s because there’s a lot of interest in Standard but there wasn’t a month ago. As much as I can tell pack EV is higher than MSRP with several $50 cards. A lot of my local stores are having inventory problems with the set too.

I think it's still below MSRP, but higher than any other Standard set. Dawnglare has it at $3/pack EV, which is more than anything else after Avacyn Restored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

tzirean posted:

I think it's still below MSRP, but higher than any other Standard set. Dawnglare has it at $3/pack EV, which is more than anything else after Avacyn Restored.

I thought RTR had higher EV than Avacyn Restored?