Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I noticed over the last few days/weeks that some pictures that I thought I deleted just appeared in my photos again, but placed at the very end of the list so it looks like they were recently taken when they were taken months ago. I haven't done anything on either my iPhone or iPad that could have made this happen.

:shrug:

I have about 1800 photos from the late 90s to about 2003 that will randomly appear to be a month old in the list. For a while I went in and manually fixed the dates Im Photos on my Mac, but after they jumped up again a few more times I just gave it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh sweet another unicode bug that crashes imessages. Not real confident with whatever library Apple is using to deal with unicode.

Though I guess this one is a variant of one that was causing problems on android recently.

ASCII was good enough. :colbert:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

xzzy posted:

Oh sweet another unicode bug that crashes imessages. Not real confident with whatever library Apple is using to deal with unicode.

Though I guess this one is a variant of one that was causing problems on android recently.

Yeah, Apple probably needs to be proactive about that.

quote:

ASCII was good enough. :colbert:

Basic Latin character set supremacists gently caress off.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My 2 year old 6s is starting to poo poo the bed. Not just battery life, but freezing and crashing too.

I have never once broken an iPhone and I’m thinking about getting that slick looking red 8 and not putting a case on it.

Am I crazy?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

My 2 year old 6s is starting to poo poo the bed. Not just battery life, but freezing and crashing too.

I have never once broken an iPhone and I’m thinking about getting that slick looking red 8 and not putting a case on it.

Am I crazy?

The camera bump will prevent it from lying flat. Also is the surface finish on the 8 any different from the 6S? The 6S is like a bar of soap without a case (saddle brown).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Rolo posted:

Am I crazy?

the back is glass for wireless charging and really expensive to fix, but this is gonna start a dumb argument probably.

Get AppleCare I guess

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Having a red iPhone 8 is like wearing red lacey panties. No one else can see it...but you know what you got.

Or just put a case on it and sometimes take the case off...to spice things up.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Rolo posted:

Am I crazy?

Yes because the X is better.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Having a red iPhone 8 is like wearing red lacey panties. No one else can see it...but you know what you got.

Or just put a case on it and sometimes take the case off...to spice things up.

Lol

The Dave posted:

Yes because the X is better.

This

The iPhone 8 is such a weird inbetween right now. I went with the 8 initially and it was somewhat of a pain to resell it. The + model makes a bit more sense especially with the dual lenses

Curious if we still have “lol first gen Apple poo poo” iPhone X doubters or if they all sold out like me

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Being a first gen Apple poo poo owner owns.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't found a single thing to complain about with my X. Like, I'm genuinely surprised, because that's usually not the case.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I haven't found a single thing to complain about with my X. Like, I'm genuinely surprised, because that's usually not the case.

I still prefer thumb ID but Face ID is better than I expected

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I wear a mask all day. FaceID can be annoying.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there anything to be said about running a backup and hard resetting a 6s? I swear mine’s only started acting weird a couple weeks ago and it’s mostly just software lag/crashing.

I want to keep it because it’s already paid for and it does everything I need (before it started malfunctioning.) I don’t want to buy a new phone if I don’t really need to.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Is there anything to be said about running a backup and hard resetting a 6s? I swear mine’s only started acting weird a couple weeks ago and it’s mostly just software lag/crashing.

I want to keep it because it’s already paid for and it does everything I need (before it started malfunctioning.) I don’t want to buy a new phone if I don’t really need to.

It’s usually the second or third troubleshooting step. Fixes a variety of issues. An encrypted iTunes backup will save you some time.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Yeah it’s definitely worth a shot. Encrypted backup and restoring from that backup isn’t really too painful.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Eh it’s no biggie, I just went through and wiped like 10k photos I didn’t need anymore so my backup file won’t be too big. I’m also stuck in a hotel so iCloud it is.

If it’s still wonky after this I guess I’ll start phone shopping. Any chance the SE is getting a refresh soon?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
You should check if your 6s qualifies for the battery replacement program. Get a new battery, maybe the problems will just go away.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Boris Galerkin posted:

You should check if your 6s qualifies for the battery replacement program. Get a new battery, maybe the problems will just go away.

It qualifies for the 30 or so dollar replacement until December 31st of this year. Was hoping to make it to December before using it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Rolo posted:

It qualifies for the 30 or so dollar replacement until December 31st of this year. Was hoping to make it to December before using it.

Let’s say from now until then you spend five hours charging your phone that you normally wouldn’t were it functioning correctly.

Is your time worth $6/hour?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

boop the snoot posted:

Let’s say from now until then you spend five hours charging your phone that you normally wouldn’t were it functioning correctly.

Waiting until December was the plan before it started acting up. I just started looking into solutions today. So far some of the smaller quirks are going away since the hard reset, like the messenger app freezing. If the software issues go away and the battery still drains faster than usual I’ll definitely go get the battery replaced.

The beta battery health options says it’s still at 85 percent, whatever that’s worth.

E: Now that it’s done restoring, everything is running a lot smoother. I’ve had it for well over two years and who knows how many updates, maybe it was just due for some housekeeping?

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 13, 2018

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Bum the Sad posted:

I wear a mask all day. FaceID can be annoying.

Edge case scenario.

I wear latex gloves all day. ThumbID can be annoying.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

boop the snoot posted:

I’m not just sitting there doing nothing while my phone charges.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Braincloud posted:

Edge case scenario.

In a perfect world we’d have both but I realize that probably would never happen

Rolo posted:

lol drat dude just replace the drat battery for $30 my goodness

It’ll only help the resell value as well

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rolo posted:

Waiting until December was the plan before it started acting up. I just started looking into solutions today. So far some of the smaller quirks are going away since the hard reset, like the messenger app freezing. If the software issues go away and the battery still drains faster than usual I’ll definitely go get the battery replaced.

The beta battery health options says it’s still at 85 percent, whatever that’s worth.

E: Now that it’s done restoring, everything is running a lot smoother. I’ve had it for well over two years and who knows how many updates, maybe it was just due for some housekeeping?

I'm not convinced that the battery health thing is accurate because my 6s, which already had the battery replaced sometime last year, now shows 87% health but I've seen my phone shut down on me at least twice now when it was still 10%+ charged in the last month or so. Both times I went to the battery health option and had to disable the throttle.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think he just wants to wait til the last possible moment to get the cheap (I thought it should be free? Mine was anyway.).

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yes. I’m going to. I’m not intentionally waiting until December with a faulty battery to save 30 bucks. I’ve just been busy since the issues popped up and until then I was going to wait until the last minute because everything was working fine and a charge was lasting me a long time.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Braincloud posted:

Edge case scenario.

Yeah I actually think it’s pretty funny in the 0.001% of the population with a legit gripe against FaceID.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Set FaceID every morning with your mask and every evening without your mask. Problem solved.

How weird can your face look and FaceID will still register it? Like would it accept one of those latex horse masks as a legitimate face as long as you went through the setup process?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah so all my software gore went away from my reformat but the battery is still being doodoo.

Looks like I’m going to the fruit stand for a new battery!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I have an iphone 6s+ and an Air 2. I was looking to pick up a (hopefully cheap) stylus to make doodles with on them. For the phone, since it has pressure sensitivity, would I need to buy a fancy stylus or would pressing down more with a cheap stylus do the same? I know it won't be the same as the apple pen or whatever, just something I can toss in my bag while I'm out and about.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GobiasIndustries posted:

I have an iphone 6s+ and an Air 2. I was looking to pick up a (hopefully cheap) stylus to make doodles with on them. For the phone, since it has pressure sensitivity, would I need to buy a fancy stylus or would pressing down more with a cheap stylus do the same? I know it won't be the same as the apple pen or whatever, just something I can toss in my bag while I'm out and about.

First off the 3D Touch stuff on the phone won’t work for pressure stuff with drawing apps. Well, let me qualify that with a probably since I’ve never used a drawing/sketch app on the phone.

Before I was seduced by the Pencil and the iPad Pro, Adonit was my go to. If you give zero shits about pressure sensitivity, then get a Pro 3 or the Mini 4 (the Mini would probably work well with the iPhone). They have a few BT styluses available, but I’ll poke around and read some reviews on them before considering them.

Smets
Nov 4, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

First off the 3D Touch stuff on the phone won’t work for pressure stuff with drawing apps. Well, let me qualify that with a probably since I’ve never used a drawing/sketch app on the phone.

There are some drawing apps that use 3D Touch for pressure sensitivity. Even the native Notes app does, to an extent. It's not great, but it does work.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Proteus Jones posted:

It seems to work with my finger with Sketchbook (which is now free), hence my question. Again, this is not pro work at all, I cannot stress this enough.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah I actually think it’s pretty funny in the 0.001% of the population with a legit gripe against FaceID.

I’m kinda regretting getting FaceID since after buying the X I started using a CPAP with a full-face mask which makes using the phone in bed a pain. So probably a bit more than 0.001%.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I couldn't used touch ID half the time because my hands got really dry and cracked during the winter. We are getting oddly specific here.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sometimes I eat flaming hot Cheetos and my thumb ID doesn’t work

Also apparently I’m too ugly in the morning because Face ID is practically a no-go first thing in the morning in bed

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Sometimes I eat flaming hot Cheetos and my thumb ID doesn’t work

Also apparently I’m too ugly in the morning because Face ID is practically a no-go first thing in the morning in bed

Maybe you should wash the cheeto dust off your face before you go to bed

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
The problem is the Cheeto rubs off on the pillow so your phone won’t recognize you until you get some more smeared back on.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Are there any not-poo poo clear cases for the 8+ that will let me show off my big red phone? Preferably as slimline as possible.

I’m trying a Tech21 case but don’t like the silicon feel. There didn’t seem to be many more options at the Apple Store otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Spigen appears to make some and the thread seems to like Spigen (for what they are, $10-20 amazon cases)