Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

ChairMaster posted:

mediocre job

You're not getting it. Top 10% income. Summers off. Union stability. Meaningful work. Don't need to really understand math that well. Way easier training than other professions. Solid pension. It's a sweet job. That is why there is so much competition for it so not every single teacher college graduate has an easy time finding work especially with the loving boomers not retiring because their job is easy and awesome and pays great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

ChairMaster posted:

In a country where teaching is one of the worst jobs you can possibly have, do we really need to blame the curriculum for people doing poorly in school? I mean does anyone really expect anything different?

Does it matter in any way if it's true or not? I thought the whole point of this next election was to see if Trump style politics are going to work out in Canada.

As if there was any doubt.

Pretty sure going to post secondary for 6 or so years, and then maybe having to be a part time worker for 1-5 years, then making 80-100k a year for your career plus great benefits, time off, pension, workplace safety (compared to trades) is a pretty loving great job.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Suburban boomers ruin everything.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
11 years of poo poo work will get you much better than that, and none of that is guaranteed.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

ChairMaster posted:

It seems funny to imply that I'm the one who was sheltered from how lovely things are and not the rich white people in this thread who are always furious at me for talking about how much Canada sucks for anyone who's not rich and white like they are. No, I wasn't home schooled.

It's fair to say that I should have said "teaching is one of the worst professions you could possibly consider trying to get into", which is what's actually relevant to the original discussion. I'm sure that the lucky few like Stickarts, who get to have a real job in teaching without going through the years of being essentially trash to be thrown around and disposed of have plenty of good things to say about it. In the mean time the profession requires a lot of education and a shitload of time spent in incredibly lovely jobs for poor compensation before you even get a chance at a mediocre job that could still be undone by any particular election. Consider me unimpressed.

What kind of magical jobs do you think exist where people just walk in the door without experience and make nearly 100 grand with full job security? They don't exist. And if they do they are ultra competitive.

Having to work part time, irregularrly, etc. is kind of par for the course to get experience for a good full time position.

I don't think its that different then starting out at 30 or 40 grand as a junior level programmer or low level sales guy in an office. No one makes big money right away unless you are super skilled or super lucky.

edit: I can tell you don't understand what people are even saying to you. If I ever had my kids tell me they want to be a teacher, id be anxious about how competitive the job market is, but i wouldn't be worried about it being a "good job". Its the top 5-10% of earners in Canada, not to mention all the other benefits. Its a great job.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ChairMaster posted:

11 years of poo poo work will get you much better than that, and none of that is guaranteed.

They why do boomers cling to the lovely job, instead of going to Walmart?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stickarts posted:

I edited out for the e/n aspect. Probably could have kept the rest.

Really, it is all the boomers' fault. If they would just loving retire there would be so many more open spots.

Like even sub-lists are ridiculously overpopulated by "retired" teachers who haven't retired. Many divisions in SK aren't even hiring for their sub-lists these days because there are so many old farts who have latched on and refuse to let go.

Yeah this is what I hear from my teacher or hoping-to-be-teacher friends. Not only are the local Victoria teaching jobs mostly held onto by olds with seniority, but the ones who finally retire with good pensions decide to full-time temp as well. Things seem to be changing though, I visit a lot of schools locally and just in the last couple years it seems the average age of teachers has suddenly dropped, tons of actual 20-something people starting their first full time years teaching their own classes.

It used to be so rare to see young teachers that were not temps. Everyone wanted to teach in Victoria so you'd have to go put in your time in some remote BC school in the hopes that one day maybe when you're 40+ you can finally teach in Victoria. But now I'm seeing lots and lots of fresh out of school young folk with energy actually getting to teach.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

You're not getting it. Top 10% income. Summers off. Union stability. Meaningful work. Don't need to really understand math that well. Way easier training than other professions. Solid pension. It's a sweet job. That is why there is so much competition for it so not every single teacher college graduate has an easy time finding work especially with the loving boomers not retiring because their job is easy and awesome and pays great.

He'll never get it, there's no point in replying to him. Give up, like I have.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yeah the part that gets me the most - and really reinforces for me how much privilege begets privilege - are the perks that comes with it all. Still not used to it. Free phone. Free computer. Good eye and dental coverage. Pension plan. Holidays are actual holidays, plus many more after that. All things I would have loved to have, and would have made my life demonstrably better back when I was pouring foundations for 65 hours a week, but you don't get them until you are white collar and making twice as much money (or more) anyway. I have friends in North Central whose lives would be completely different with those perks but I am the one with access to them because I am the one who finally made it into a middle-class job.

The solution of course would be to provide these things to all people in some sort of "universal" (!!!) fashion as dignity of life shouldn't be conditional based on income. But we all know how that has worked out.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 9, 2018

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Good lord, I've already specifically spelled out that the job you end up with is fine, that has absolutely nothing to do with the poo poo you have to put up with to get to it, as well as the fact that it'll inevitably be torpedoed by whichever conservative government gets elected in the future and decides to gently caress you over. The boomers don't retire because they have good jobs, ones that for the most part will not exist for younger generations, not to mention the fact that when they got into teaching the profession was still well-supported and accepting of new people.

Why would anyone argue in favor of the status quo that repels so many people from ever considering the profession, which is so much worse than a shitload of other professions that contribute way less value to society?

e: seriously, there's an actual teacher in this thread that supports the position I actually have, rather than the nonsense one that you people have made up from nowhere and decided that I'm arguing for.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 9, 2018

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm starting from scratch to get an undergraduate degree and my B. Ed because helping my friends and my now ex who are all teachers with stuff feels incredibly fulfilling and being a role model seems like it will be worth more to me than any money I'll realistically be able to make. A huge portion of my social circle are educators and have kept telling me to get a formal education after seeing me teach, train, and interact with their students or the people I teach at work, but I was always a Negative Nancy and told them I'm not going to bother because I'd be throwing money I don't have away on something that may not even pan out, after hearing all these stories of how impossible it seems to get a full time position.

Now I'm getting bought out at work with a bit over a year of pay, so I'm gonna take the plunge and see how it turns out. I kept being told about how I'm nuts for not going for it sooner since apparently being a male minority who gets on well with Aboriginal and immigrant students is really in-demand, to the point where my ex was willing to pay for school and I foolishly turned her down on the offer (part of why we split up, unfortunately). Not sure how true that is, but it's something I've heard independently from a lot of my friends, which could also just be a Manitoba thing.

I could just take the money to get a formal education in what I'm getting paid to do now and start making closer to a deece six figgies, but working for another corporation is probably going to end with me getting fired or working myself into the grave. At least now if it doesn't pan out I won't owe any money that I have no realistic way to pay back. Hopefully I'm not making a huge mistake!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
drat conservative governments always finding new reasons to fire teachers

quote:

Teachers will have their licences automatically revoked if found guilty of groping or sexually touching students, following a Toronto Star investigation into transfers of abusive teachers from school to school.

This will also apply retroactively to any historical cases after amendments the Ontario College of Teachers Act were enacted Tuesday following a promise from the province in January to crack down on sexually abusive teachers.
The Star’s investigation has detailed how teachers in the province can be transferred to another school after their boards find reason to discipline them. In some of the province’s largest school boards, there is no requirement to tell a new principal about the incoming teacher’s past.

The Star identified 27 cases heard by the Ontario College of Teachers, the provincial oversight and licensing body, between January 2012 and November 2017. In each case, the teacher had been investigated by their school board, disciplined and transferred at least once by the time their case made it to a college hearing.

In all of the cases, the college’s disciplinary panel — made up of publicly appointed and teacher-elected college members — substantiated allegations of sexual, physical, psychological or verbal abuse, or serious misconduct by those teachers. In nine of the 27 cases identified, the teachers had reoffended at their new school.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/05/08/sexually-touching-a-student-will-now-cost-ontario-teachers-their-jobs.html

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea slashing funding, mandating a freeze on pay raises, preventing smaller class sizes, forcing teachers to spend thousands of dollars on school supplies needed to teach, these things are all necessary if we're to fire pedophiles.

That makes perfect sense.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

ChairMaster posted:

Yea slashing funding, mandating a freeze on pay raises, preventing smaller class sizes, forcing teachers to spend thousands of dollars on school supplies needed to teach, these things are all necessary if we're to fire pedophiles.

That makes perfect sense.

It's like, you can just lose your teaching job at any time, I really don't understand why anybody would sign up for that when you could work at the mcdonald's in a walmart

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Zombie Guy posted:

Has anybody asked Ford if he's read the actual curriculum?

Whenever I listen to talk radio, and this topic comes up, you get caller after caller ranting about the filthy things the school is teaching. Then the host will usually ask "Have you actually read the curriculum then? Can you give specific examples?"

Cue lots of "Uhh, well no... But this is what I've been told it's about..."

So yeah, most people just assume all the BS is true, and they get angry because they're told they should be.

Exactly. They won't do the actual work to learn about the topics, just go with what their Fordhur told them or talk radio or the Sun. It's like Jordan Petersons moronic followers who still whine about C-16 being about jailing people who misgender. They're too stupid or lazy to actually look at the bill and see its just about adding gender identity to protected people for employment and housing. I wonder when Fords going to hang out with Peterson?

My friend who's a teacher (well she's on the plan where she fills in for pregnancies, seriously illness and other long term absences) told me parents keep calling the school she's at currently demanding their child not to be taught the sex ed course because of some scary thing they heard on the radio. The schools response to this is they can send them a copy of the course outline, but the parents don't want that, because they already know what they need to know through 3rd parties that have an interest in ruining public education.

Speaking of the Sun, i've noticed that there are not Sun vending machines anywhere either downtown or around Yonge and Lawrence or where I am in the Beaches. Did they just pull them all? That would suggest that they're cutting costs because their garbage paper is dying.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea, losing a job that took over a decade of work and poo poo to push through to get is the same as losing a job that takes absolutely no effort to get and can be replaced by a wide variety of identical jobs. Sure.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

ChairMaster posted:

Yea, losing a job that took over a decade of work and poo poo to push through to get is the same as losing a job that takes absolutely no effort to get and can be replaced by a wide variety of identical jobs. Sure.

Dude, it's like 4 years of basket weaving and then two years of finger painting. Are you counting high school? I bet you're counting high school.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
6 years of wasted time in post-secondary and 5 years of wasted time in unstable low-paying part-time work.

e: also I guess you could count high school if you're comparing the jobs, since you can work in retail without a high school education anyways.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 9, 2018

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

the black and white picture makes trudeau look more sinister you see

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

It is a qualified, tentative support. There is evidence to support some of what you are saying, but I think you are overextending your claims significantly. Teaching in a full-time, continuing position is pretty swell. Getting there can be difficult. Are there real issues that need addressing? Absolutely, and they need to be addressed if teaching wants to continue to draw talented people into it.

But teaching itself is one of the few jobs that still leads to a middle-class lifestyle in Canada, so I don't think the original premise of it being a lovely job is fair or accurate. We can get into larger discussions over how university debt forces you into compliance etc etc, but that's a whole other turducken.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I'm starting from scratch to get an undergraduate degree and my B. Ed because helping my friends and my now ex who are all teachers with stuff feels incredibly fulfilling and being a role model seems like it will be worth more to me than any money I'll realistically be able to make. A huge portion of my social circle are educators and have kept telling me to get a formal education after seeing me teach, train, and interact with their students or the people I teach at work, but I was always a Negative Nancy and told them I'm not going to bother because I'd be throwing money I don't have away on something that may not even pan out, after hearing all these stories of how impossible it seems to get a full time position.

Now I'm getting bought out at work with a bit over a year of pay, so I'm gonna take the plunge and see how it turns out. I kept being told about how I'm nuts for not going for it sooner since apparently being a male minority who gets on well with Aboriginal and immigrant students is really in-demand, to the point where my ex was willing to pay for school and I foolishly turned her down on the offer (part of why we split up, unfortunately). Not sure how true that is, but it's something I've heard independently from a lot of my friends, which could also just be a Manitoba thing.

I could just take the money to get a formal education in what I'm getting paid to do now and start making closer to a deece six figgies, but working for another corporation is probably going to end with me getting fired or working myself into the grave. At least now if it doesn't pan out I won't owe any money that I have no realistic way to pay back. Hopefully I'm not making a huge mistake!

If you're a dude who jives will with minoritised and/or marginalised students, absolutely become a teacher. We need you. Teaching is very, very sheltered as a profession. My experiences struggling with illness/poverty/substance abuse for a few years in my 20s come in handy every single day. I did what you did (though I already had the first degree) and don't regret it for a second. If you are willing to move to tiny northern rural towns/reserves (though on reserve you will make ~$20,000 less) and did well in uni you will get hired right away. It might not be anything close to resembling what you went to school for, but you can get a job. Srs do it. I have no regrets. I make an impact every day and that was something I needed out of my life and didn't have before. I am a happier, more fulfilled person now, even with the huge amounts of stress that rookie teaching is.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 9, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of the Sun, i've noticed that there are not Sun vending machines anywhere either downtown or around Yonge and Lawrence or where I am in the Beaches. Did they just pull them all? That would suggest that they're cutting costs because their garbage paper is dying.

Their garbage paper is dying, but they all are.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Typically piss-weak response from Canada on this

https://twitter.com/cafreeland/status/994003169775706114
https://twitter.com/cafreeland/status/994003237811490816

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I sincerely doubt that anyone will ever be fixing any of those issues, much less even acknowledging that they exist, any time in the future of this country. For what possible reason would our government give a poo poo about making teaching a more attractive profession when they can instead use them as a scapegoat to take funding from and gently caress over to placate the public, which isn't going to be on the side of the teachers any time soon?

Why would the disappearance of the rest of middle class do anything but make teaching jobs pay less and less over time?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Teaching is a super attractive profession. What are you talking about? A ton of people want these jobs. There are thousands of applicants of dozens of positions in the big school boards around the GTA.

edit: nvm, didnt see all your other responses. either trolling or just retarded.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 9, 2018

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
And what happens to a job when there's a huge excess of people who want it and are qualified to do it? And when it's funding is under fire and set to be reduced? And what does it say when only a small fraction of those people will ever get to do the job full-time?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ChairMaster posted:

And what happens to a job when there's a huge excess of people who want it and are qualified to do it? And when it's funding is under fire and set to be reduced? And what does it say when only a small fraction of those people will ever get to do the job full-time?

So based on how many people want a certain job we should be making spaces for them? So the country will be nothing but firefighters,actors and architects. Sounds great. Who picks up my garbage then?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
How about making space enough that kids can learn math? Let's start with getting a school system that actually teaches children rather than just being the daycare that I attended for 13 years and go from there.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

PittTheElder posted:

In the context of where we started though, recruiting teachers who really understand math, that's not very attractive. Is it typical for BC teachers to spend 6 years in school? For someone with strong math skills and a post-sec degree, I would not look at that salary scale positively. Math skills are in high demand, and you get can get better jobs without having to babysit people's kids and take a bunch of work home with you at the end of the night.

Random anecdote: my mom (a teacher) made me promise when I graduated high school that I would never become a teacher. Alberta though, so YMMV.

Going back a bit, but this is a legit issue. Everyone and their dog is ELA/Social. Actually competent potential math teachers have far better career options available to them if they don’t care about the “making a difference” aspect of teaching.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

We're in a tie between David Suzuki/Pol Pot P6TA and "Working at Wal-Mart is better than being a tenured teacher" ChairMaster for dumbest opinions in the thread! Good job, great effort!

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Stickarts posted:

Really, it is all the boomers' fault. If they would just loving retire there would be so many more open spots.

Like even sub-lists are ridiculously overpopulated by "retired" teachers who haven't retired. Many divisions in SK aren't even hiring for their sub-lists these days because there are so many old farts who have latched on and refuse to let go.

The upper administration levels are full of this too. Retired Principals and Vice Principals come right back to do sub work, instead of making room for teachers to get promoted and move up, which means spots for new teachers aren't available, etc.

Teaching can be a lot like other high demand careers, like firefighting or policing. Unless you are really super qualified, you might end up having to move out to butt-gently caress nowhere if you want to find a spot right away.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

infernal machines posted:

Their garbage paper is dying, but they all are.

Sun just dying faster I guess? I wonder how much money they lost with their stupid tv channel?

Way back in the mists of time I tried to apply to a teaching program, and they told me straight up that they weren't accept anyone except people with maths, sciences, french and computer science degrees. I was told that there were too many history and other social subject teachers out there, but not enough of those others. Even back then I knew that of course they can't get anyone because you can have a much better job than teacher if you know those subjects.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

MA-Horus posted:

We're in a tie between David Suzuki/Pol Pot P6TA and "Working at Wal-Mart is better than being a tenured teacher" ChairMaster for dumbest opinions in the thread! Good job, great effort!

I specifically said it was slightly worse.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 9, 2018

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Femtosecond posted:

Left being split and right being split and the result being a diverse set of councillors on council would be not so bad imo. The only person I'm really strongly against is Glen Chernan and Melissa De Genova. Carr is pretty lousy too.

Yeah this -- it'd be actually really great if every major decision needed a coalition of separate parties to pass.

And lol yeah, gently caress Melissa De Genova. Someone I know went to a Parks Board meeting some years ago to lobby for bike infrastructure, at the time De Genova was there as a minority NPA commissioner, and apparently she spent the whole meeting being obtuse and obstructionist, formally accusing the opposing commissioners of personal attacks whenever they disagreed with her.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My mom is a teacher and she gets by pretty well. The real downsides come from idiot parents who don't understand what teaching entails, and the seniority rules preventing her from actually teaching classes in her chosen concentration. She's been stuck teaching math when she specializes in chemistry and biology.
If my parents weren't paying for three properties at the moment they'd be swimming in cash, but the fact that they can afford to pay bills on three houses should tell you something about how well off teachers and civilian contractors can be.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, the Vancouver Sun is a pretty good publication with some solid reporters and nothing remotely like that?

Vancouver Sun has had some ... incidents ... over the years. They also have some genuinely terrible opinion pieces, like this one asserting that the very concept of white privilege is racist:

http://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-ed/calvin-white-concept-of-white-privilege-another-form-of-racism

Their sister publication also publishes the drivel vomited out of the mouth of Jon Ferry, which frankly belongs somewhere on Rebel Media, not in a mainstream publication.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
CanPol Power Rankings:

1. Vancouver Sun
2a. David Suzuki
2b. Jason Kenney
3. Working at Walmart or McDonalds
4. 3rd grade math students in Ontario
5. Working as a teacher

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Where's Pol Pot?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
2c

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

ChairMaster posted:

I specifically said it was slightly worse.

You are delusional. Did you try to become a teacher for years and fail or something? I've never heard someone so wrong about this topic before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Teaching is indeed a solid middle class job in a world where such jobs are increasingly rare, but I think a lot of people underestimate just how much work goes into it.

They truly do earn their salaries. Almost the entire work day is spent on your feet, actively doing poo poo. And if you think your day is over with the last bell, you're dreaming.

My wife regularly works from when she gets home until 8 or 9 at night prepping lessons, tests, talking to parents and doing marking. It does get somewhat better over time though once you settle into teaching the same courses and you can start reusing materials more.

Compared to my work as a computer toucher making a similar amount to her, I only actually actively work for a few hours during the day, and when 5PM rolls around I'm doneski. So in terms of the actual hours you're put into it, you're really working for your pay.

The pension is fantastic too of course. If we never have kids, we should be able to retire in reasonable comfort at a reasonable age before our bodies give out. I'm very grateful for this.

Summers off is nice too, though you don't get paid for it which I think a lot of people don't know either. So lots of folks will teach summer school or pick up another job for those months to pick up the slack.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 9, 2018