Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Whoever said subsonic is right, it is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Zamujasa posted:

i just copy all the music i listen to onto my phone like some kind of idiot. no itunes, no goog, no bullshit.

same but ituens does it for me based on smart playlists i set up literally 8 years ago

i havent janitored poo poo for almost a decade

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
something got hosed up when I uploaded all of my music to google play so all my album art is a picture of e40

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

feature: wontfix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRChz-OYi9o

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SO DEMANDING posted:

maps won't get killed but most of the changes they've made to it over the past few years have been for the worse and I don't see that trend stopping

I feel like designating a particular route is going to be next on the chopping block. it already fails most of the time because two minutes into a trip Maps updates traffic data or thinks you overshot a turn and recalculates the route to whatever it thinks is fastest.

which invariably includes something stupid like avoiding a light with a protected turn phase in favor of cutting through a neighborhood to save 10 seconds followed by waiting five minutes for traffic to clear enough to turn left across three lanes of major road.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I just use apple music, I add the radio playlists which change often to library and my phone keeps them downloaded and updated, or whatever music I add from apple music will sync up to my phone and be available to listened offline.

I believe you can do that with regular music as well in itunes or itunes match, it works pretty well

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

I feel like designating a particular route is going to be next on the chopping block. it already fails most of the time because two minutes into a trip Maps updates traffic data or thinks you overshot a turn and recalculates the route to whatever it thinks is fastest.

which invariably includes something stupid like avoiding a light with a protected turn phase in favor of cutting through a neighborhood to save 10 seconds followed by waiting five minutes for traffic to clear enough to turn left across three lanes of major road.

you can designate a route by driving your car that way and the computer will figure it out, it's not like OnStar lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

btw didnt someone mention that google has started to speed up music videos on youtube?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Zamujasa posted:

i just copy all the music i listen to onto my phone like some kind of idiot. no itunes, no goog, no bullshit.

:same:

old habits die hard

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Krankenstyle posted:

btw didnt someone mention that google has started to speed up music videos on youtube?

what

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

probably someone that hosed up their playback speed settings

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh right

move along, nothing to see here

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
Google maps will soon no longer be a cap of 25,000 per day for the free usage of their js api. It's going to be 28,000 a month come June. :dance:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

2 years after ending support for picasa google finally stopped it from uploading to google photos. rip to the most convenient way to get photos from my camera to my phone

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

2 years after ending support for picasa google finally stopped it from uploading to google photos. rip to the most convenient way to get photos from my camera to my phone

um the same app that makes google drive work has an uploader where you put the photos into a folder and youre done?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
manually syncing your photos? even iTunes doesn’t do that

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

LastInLine posted:

um the same app that makes google drive work has an uploader where you put the photos into a folder and youre done?

I'm aware of the alternatives but in picasa,which I use to organize photos anyway, you click one button and it syncs a photo or album. very convenient

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's awesome how google photos put every paid photo site out of business so now you have to trust one of the big companies to hold all your stuff

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

whenever i come across people who manually manage media (and in dyp it comes up all the time) i always picture the beginning of wall-e with mounds of "organized" trash and wonder if those people view the movie as an exit-from-eden allegory

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

think you're reading a little too much into my desire not to share all of the lovely photos I take

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

so....don't...SHARE them....?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

why would you put something on goog photos if you weren't going to share it?

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

Jenny Agutter posted:

it's kinda nice to be able to search "cat" and have it show me all the pictures of my cats without me manually tagging things

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

it's kinda nice to be able to search "cat" and have it show me all the pictures of my cats without me manually tagging things

better upload all your posts to see if it can find any good ones

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Jenny Agutter posted:

Because you have a ton of space there and it's easy to just dump it all there and make your albums/whatever as a subset.

The "archive" button makes it a lot like Inbox -- all my new photos are there (and searchable) by default, I put a few into various shared or personal albums, delete some others, and then archive all the ones I've "processed" so they're off the new page.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

tempting but I'll probably want to keep my photos around longer than googles attention span

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jenny Agutter posted:

tempting but I'll probably want to keep my photos around longer than googles attention span

Jenny Agutter posted:

Idgi you were using it before why don't you want to use it now

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I don't want to just throw every drat photo I take up in the goog cloud. I appreciated the granularity picasa allowed as opposed to syncing my entire pics folder. anyway I use onedrive for backup, goog photos is just a convenient way to share with my family

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

tbf to goog, their physical photo books are quite nice. nice binding and good enough print quality. got one for an anniversary and it went over very well

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i regret to inform you that people haven't remembered how bad google assistant is, so now it's going to make telephone calls for you https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/05/duplex-ai-system-for-natural-conversation.html

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
"ok google call mom on sunday and tell her happy mother's day"

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Jenny Agutter posted:

I don't want to just throw every drat photo I take up in the goog cloud. I appreciated the granularity picasa allowed as opposed to syncing my entire pics folder. anyway I use onedrive for backup, goog photos is just a convenient way to share with my family

You can just say it's because of the nudes. We all understand what you're getting at.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

"ok google call mom on sunday and tell her happy mother's day"

*sigh*

"call my aunt a oval office"

she'll get the reference

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
"aunt ****** you can not have a happy birthday"

-nephew

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Fiedler posted:

You can just say it's because of the nudes. We all understand what you're getting at.

I try to respect your mother's privacy

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
Y'all watch the Google io 'duplex' vid where they trained a bot to talk on the phone with customer service? it sounds pretty convincingly human. Not perfect, but close enough that most people probably won't notice the difference if they aren't actively trying.

I can't wait for this tech to become publicly available and watch it immediately get used for automated social engineering: Transferring Your 2FA Phone Number To A Romanian Dude As A Service.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Y'all watch the Google io 'duplex' vid where they trained a bot to talk on the phone with customer service? it sounds pretty convincingly human. Not perfect, but close enough that most people probably won't notice the difference if they aren't actively trying.

I can't wait for this tech to become publicly available and watch it immediately get used for automated social engineering: Transferring Your 2FA Phone Number To A Romanian Dude As A Service.
here's a twitter thread with a few ethics questions about duplex https://twitter.com/elkmovie/status/993934566669856775

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

anthonypants posted:

here's a twitter thread with a few ethics questions about duplex https://twitter.com/elkmovie/status/993934566669856775

better to ask forgiveness than permission!

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/993996837559271426

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
someone mentioned the one good point of google dupe is that at least you won't get rich people being total assholes over the phone, it'll just be their dumb robots

• Locked thread